[GalFisk] Detective Lars' first case

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[GalFisk] Detective Lars' first case

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:29 pm

You are detective Lars, the lateral thinking detective, and this is your first case. By asking yes/no questions to the people involved, you must try to find the truth about what happened.
If a person has told you all they have to offer, I will summarize their contribution and let them leave the puzzle. If you're overlooking something important or going down the wrong track for too long, I may drop a hint through one of the characters.
---
Fred and his twelve year old son Simon went to visit the local gun range, where the father was a competitive shooter and Simon helped out. The place had several ranges for target shooting, including a pistol range, a rifle range, and an indoors airgun range.
It was a hot day, and Simon went inside the airgun range building with a couple of friends to cool off, while the father was practicing target shooting at the rifle range. The pistol range was home to a prestigeous target shooting competition. Sitting with his friends in the safe zone behind some air gunners, Simon suddenly collapses. Blood is oozing from a bullet wound in his temple. A few hours later, he dies in the hospital without regaining consciousness.

People at your disposal, whom you may ask any lateral question at any time:
  • Wilma and Winnie, friends of Simon and the only direct witnesses to his death.
  • Fred, the father of Simon, who knows all the secrets about airguns, firearms and target shooting. He is understandably distraught, but determined to help the investigation in any way he can.
  • Roger, the gun range owner. He knows all about the layout of the range, the safety measures, and any problems they've experienced.
  • Melinda, the medical examiner who did the autopsy on Simon and has all important findings on file.
  • Weber, your good friend who works for the police as a weapons and ballistics expert. He can also give you a second opinion on things like the layout and safety of the gun range, if you ask him to check up on the things Roger is telling you. Whenever you wish, you can bring Weber and Fred together and ask them both the same questions.
  • The people who were doing target shooting on the range at the time of the death. You may choose to only question one group (air gunners, pistol shooters, riflemen). You may have Weber examine their weapons, by telling him which group of weapons to collect and what to look for. If one person becomes a suspect, you may question him or her individually.

You start your day by collecting the bullet from Melinda, and bringing it to your friend Weber for close examination.
Last edited by GalFisk on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
GalFisk

Re: [GalFisk] Detective Lars' first case

Postby Balin » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:55 pm

A lateral mystery? It's already a good day!

First, I'd like further details on the layout of the range from Roger. Do any of the ranges shoot towards any of the other ranges? More specifically, do the pistol or rifle ranges fire towards the air gun range?
Also, can you confirm the cause of Simon's death with Melinda? Also, can you ask her if she has determined whether the bullet was fired from close or long range? Are there any power marks on the skin?
Ask Weber how long the examination will take. Was the bullet fired from a pistol? A rifle? An air gun?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:10 pm

First, I'd like further details on the layout of the range from Roger. Do any of the ranges shoot towards any of the other ranges? More specifically, do the pistol or rifle ranges fire towards the air gun range?
Well, yes. The pistol range does face the airgun building, but it is shielded by wooden baffles at several distances, designed to catch any bullets shot high from the firing line, and behind the targets is a dirt berm 9 feet high, almost as high as the airgun building itself.
The rifle range faces away from the other ranges.
The airgun range faces a high railroad embankment, but has angled pellet catchers and a solid backstop that prevents any pellets from leaving the range.
We've had problems with people taking potshots at the range from atop the embankment.

Also, can you confirm the cause of Simon's death with Melinda? Also, can you ask her if she has determined whether the bullet was fired from close or long range? Are there any power marks on the skin?
The cause of death was a bullet that entered his temple, broke his skull and caused great injuries and bleeding in his brain. There were no powder marks on the skin of the deceased.
Ask Weber how long the examination will take. Was the bullet fired from a pistol? A rifle? An air gun? Lars my friend, I'd enjoy it if you accompanied me during the examination of this bullet. I can tell you right away that it was fired from a handgun, not a rifle or air gun. There are however several unusual things about this bullet, which I think may be of interest to your investigation.
GalFisk

Postby Grip » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Wilma and Willy - did Fred or Simon have any enemies or people that would want to do either any harm?

Weber - Okay, my friend, take me to your examination of the bullet.
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:58 pm

Wilma and Willy - did Fred or Simon have any enemies or people that would want to do either any harm? What? No, never! He was just the nicest guy!
We didn't even know what had happened at first, he just sort of fell over, and then we saw the blood on his head... *sobs*

Weber - Okay, my friend, take me to your examination of the bullet.
Alright, let us put this thing under the microscope. As you can see, this is not your typical copper-jacketed lead pistol bullet. There are three, maybe four quite unusual things about it that we can see here. What do you want to know?
GalFisk

Postby Grip » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Weber - Okay, I would like to know what the three or four unusual things are. Also, could you examine the other shooters on the range at the time and tell me if any of them have silencers on their weapon or possession?

Roger - What did you think of the victim and his father? Were any of those taking potshots at the range identified?
Grip

Postby jumpingjacks » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:21 pm

Wilma and Willy - Have you been friends with Simon long? Would you say that his relationship with his father is a good one? Has he ever complained about him or mentioned any conflict?
jumpingjacks

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:35 pm

Weber - Okay, I would like to know what the three or four unusual things are. Sorry, but this is not a lateral adventure. I need you to ask me yes/no questions. Also, could you examine the other shooters on the range at the time and tell me if any of them have silencers on their weapon or possession? I've checked up on this, and they were all competitive target shooters who valued accuracy above all else. For this reason, nobody used a silencer. I do believe though, if you suspect foul play, that it would be hard to pick out the noise of a killing shot above the general din of the shooting going on. It was quite a busy day as I understand it. But maybe someone saw something? Someone'd probably spot anyone there who wasn't following the range safety rules strictly. You may want to question them.

Roger - What did you think of the victim and his father? Oh, they were inseparable. Simon absolutely adored his father, and went with him everywhere. They fished together, hunted together, they were like father and son, pardon the expression. Were any of those taking potshots at the range identified? No, we've only found new bullet holes in the airgun range building now and then. If I catch those bastards, I'll... turn them in. Wouldn't surprise me if this was their doing, I always thought it was only a matter of time until something like this would happen.

Wilma and Willy - Have you been friends with Simon long? Oh yes, we grew up neighbours you know. We've moved since, but we still meet here whenever our dads go shooting.Would you say that his relationship with his father is a good one? Oh yes, they hung out all the time, fishing and hunting... wish out dad was cool like that. Has he ever complained about him or mentioned any conflict? No, why? Do you think his dad had anything to do with... this? That's just... that's just not possible. They were so close.
GalFisk

Postby Grip » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:43 am

Weber - Okay, can you tell me why you're not sure whether the fourth unusual thing you noticed is truly odd? By the way, would you consider Franks description of the range he gave earlier to be accurate?

Melinda - in your opinion could the bullet have entered the body without being fired from a weapon?

Riflemen - did you notice anything suspicious the day of the death?

Pistol shooters - same question as the Riflemen.
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:57 am

Weber - Okay, can you tell me why you're not sure whether the fourth unusual thing you noticed is truly odd? No, but if we found the gun that fired this bullet, I could probably tell you more. By the way, would you consider Franks description of the range he gave earlier to be accurate? Pretty much, yes. I'm a bit surprised that someone is taking potshots at the range from the railroad embankment though. That's a pretty steep climb no matter which direction you come from, and you'd be clearly seen either from the range or from the mill offices on the other side of the railroad. But there are those bullet holes in the wall, and I don't think he made them himself - he was certainly angry enough about them.

Melinda - in your opinion could the bullet have entered the body without being fired from a weapon? No, this was a quite typical gunshot wound. I'm no bullet expert though I've seen quite a few, and though it didn't look like most bullets, I'm pretty sure it had the marks of being fired from a rifled barrel. Weber should know for sure.

Riflemen - did you notice anything suspicious the day of the death? No, we were practicing with Fred when the air gunners came running and told him that there'd been some sort of accident. I think we were all facing down range, away from the airgun building at the time? (The other riflemen all agree to this when questioned)

Pistol shooters - same question as the Riflemen? We were in the middle of the speed shooting tournament when we heard. Those who were shooting were standing halfway down the range, at the 15 foot line - that is, 15 feet from the targets, and the rest were standing behind with weapons safe and holstered or pointed to the ground. Five of us were taking turns at the line around the time of the accident.
(When questioned, the five all claim that every one of their shots hit the targets, and the spectators agree).
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:28 am

Does the bullet have any other marks on it besides those from impact with Simon and from the rifling? Did it perhaps strike anything before hitting Simon? Was it deflected by anything?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:21 am

Does the bullet have any other marks on it besides those from impact with Simon and from the rifling? Weber tells you: Yes, if you look at the rim of the bullet, where it was sealed into the cartridge, there is some red, waxy residue. There also seems to be something off regarding the marks from the rifling, but I'm not sure what caused it. Or maybe it's nothing.Did it perhaps strike anything before hitting Simon? It's hard to say, if anything it looks remarkably intact for a bullet hitting a skull. But unless it came in through the door, it probably went through some part of the building, because nobody inside used a pistol. Was it deflected by anything? Again, hard to say.
Know what, I'll take you some pictures through the microscope. Maybe if you ask the others about these findings they can tell you more about it.
GalFisk

Postby Grip » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:29 pm

Weber - can you describe the bullet as fully as possible? also, if there anything about Melinda's conclusions that you disagree with?

Air gunners - did you notice anything strange before the death?

Frank - is there anyone who regularly uses the range that is disliked? is there anyone who is known for being unsafe?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:12 am

Weber - can you describe the bullet as fully as possible? I can tell you what we've found out about it so far, and whom you can ask for more information.
There are three or four strange things with the bullet:
  • It is not jacketed, as most manufactured bullets, but the same leadlike metal throughout. Maybe it's homemade? Fred or the pistol shooters should be able to answer.
  • It has a red, waxy residue on the rim. If the pistol shooters recognize this bullet, they may know more about this - especially if it is indeed homemade.
  • It is remarkably intact for having entered someone's skull. Maybe Melinda can tell you more here? Or maybe it's not made from lead after all?
  • I'm not sure about this, but the rifling marks also seem off somehow. If the pistol shooters recognize the bullet, I suggest you bring me their guns for closer examination.

also, if there anything about Melinda's conclusions that you disagree with? No, she's correct.

Air gunners - did you notice anything strange before the death? No, it was a busy day, but nothing extraordinary. We didn't notice anything strange until Simon's friends yelled out.

Frank - is there anyone who regularly uses the range that is disliked? is there anyone who is known for being unsafe? I notice that we've accidentally renamed the range owner. Let his name be Frank-Roger. No, we're all good friends here. We have safety briefings at regular intervals and for any new members, and I've never had anyone disrespect the rules. I know the competitive shooters modify their weapons for quicker firing, but they don't touch the safety - that'd get them banned. Fred knows a lot about this.
GalFisk

Postby Grip » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:12 pm

Oops sorry, must have had the name Frank on the brain!

Fred - is the bullet homemade? do you agree with what Frank said about the safety rules? do you like Frank-Roger?

Pistol shooters - do any of you recognize the bullet?

Melinda - do you think the bullet being so intact is unusual?

Frank - can you tell me what you think of Simon's friends? has anyone ever been kicked off or barred from the range? are their rumors about the range being haunted?

W and W - is there anyone at the range who dislikes kids?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Oops sorry, must have had the name Frank on the brain! No prob.

Fred - is the bullet homemade? Yes indeed. Competitive pistol shooters only want the best of the best, so they usually cast their own bullets and load their own cartridges. They have a couple of tricks for making it fly straighter than a factory bullet. do you agree with what Frank said about the safety rules? Yes, he's quite good about that. I'm not sure that the range is fully up to code though. Still, I don't see any risks with that. do you like Frank-Roger? Sure, he's a decent fella.

Pistol shooters - do any of you recognize the bullet? Yes, we all used this kind of bullet in the competition. Homemade and hand-loaded. Sealed with wax.
Oh, you think, so that's where the red residue comes from. Can it be used to find out who made this bullet?

Melinda - do you think the bullet being so intact is unusual? I don't know about this type of bullet as such, but it did hit bone head on at high speed, and most lead-type bullets are quite deformed after that.

Frank - can you tell me what you think of Simon's friends?They're good kids. I really feel sorry for them. has anyone ever been kicked off or barred from the range? No, we've never had to resort to anything like that. are their rumors about the range being haunted? You're kidding, right? Of course not.

W and W - is there anyone at the range who dislikes kids? We wouldn't spend time here if there was. Now we kinda wish they all hated us, 'cause then maybe Simon wouldn't be dead...
GalFisk

Postby Grip » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:51 pm

Weber - is this range up to code? can you check to see if any of the pistol shooters have red residue on their hands?

Rifle shooters - do any of you recognize the bullet?

Frank-Roger - do you ever do much pistol shooting yourself?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:57 pm

Weber - is this range up to code? No, the pistol range is not up to code. can you check to see if any of the pistol shooters have red residue on their hands? They don't, but this would proably only get on their hands while loading the bullets into the cartridges, and they're bound to wash their hands after such an activity.

Rifle shooters - do any of you recognize the bullet? We know the pistol shooters often make and load this kind of bullet themselves, for improved accuracy in competitions.

Frank-Roger - do you ever do much pistol shooting yourself? Quite a bit, but not like the pros.
GalFisk

Postby Grip » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:03 pm

Weber - is the range not being up to code dangerous? or merely not up to code in a cosmetic way? in your searches of the area did you see any spots where an intruder might get in?

W and W - are any of your parents competitive shooters?

Frank - do you agree with Weber about this range not being up to code? do any of the regulars live near the range? when shooters bring homemade bullets that they end not using for whatever reason, are they required to leave them here or can they return home with them? have you ever had any break ins or intruders?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Weber - is the range not being up to code dangerous? We would need to take a more detailed look at the pistol range in order to ascertain this. I'll come with you. or merely not up to code in a cosmetic way? The code's not cosmetic in nature. in your searches of the area did you see any spots where an intruder might get in? No, that part of the code is being followed.

W and W - are any of your parents competitive shooters? No, they don't come here so often, but they shoot air guns sometimes.

Frank - do you agree with Weber about this range not being up to code? I don't know what he means. I run a good range here, but if he has any specific complaints I'll look into them. do any of the regulars live near the range? DOYD. Most of us live in town, it's only ten minutes by car. when shooters bring homemade bullets that they end not using for whatever reason, are they required to leave them here or can they return home with them? They can takt them home and shoot them some other time. have you ever had any break ins or intruders? No intruders, just the idiots shooting at the airgun shed.
GalFisk

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:07 pm

Weber - can we take a look at the airgun shed?
Grip

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Frank-Roger: While we are at the pistol range, can you specify where the range is not up to code?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Weber - can we take a look at the airgun shed?
Sure. It is a squat, square building approx 30 feet to the side and 12 feet tall. It is made from corrugated iron on a wooden frame. The side facing the pistol range has a partition about 10 feet wide which is used as a toolshed, leaving about 27x30 feet for the airgun range. The airgunners stand with ther backs toward the wall that faces the rifle range, with the pistol range to their right. The pellet catchers and back stop cover the entire opposite wall, which faces the railroad embankment.
The wall between the toolshed and the airgun range is plasterboard, and this wall as well as the outer walls of the airgun range have fiberglass insulation against winter. The range also has a suspended ceiling. The toolshed partition is not insulated. The only windows are behind the airgunners, facing the rifle range. Recessed fluorescent lights in the ceiling, protected by metal grids, illuminate the range.
Simon was sitting to the left of and behind the air gunners, farthest from the toolshed. He was hit in the right temple.

Frank-Roger: While we are at the pistol range, can you specify where the range is not up to code?
Weber's the one saying my range is not up to code. Ask him.

Weber speaks up: the berm behind the pistol range is too low. It should be at least 12 feet high, as tall as the airgun shed itself.

Frank-Roger protests: But we have vertical baffles both behind the targets and at the range midpoint, and a horizontal one above the shooters at the 45 foot line. Any bullets going high from there will be stopped by one of the baffles.

Weber insists that this doesn't change the height requirements for the dirt berm.
GalFisk

Postby biograd » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:15 pm

How precisely is it known which way Simon was facing immediately before he fell? Would in be possible to trace back along the path of the bullet and look for any holes in the far (facing the embankment) and/or right (facing the pistol range) wall in that location, whichever it intersects? or is the uncertainty in the angle of the bullet enough that you couldn't tell where on the wall (or even through which wall) it would have needed to enter the building?
biograd

Postby Grip » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Melinda, do you find that Wilma and Winnie's eyewitness account squares with what you learned from the autopsy?

Fred, do you know of anyone who would want to do you or your son harm? Have you had any disputes with other members of the range?

Weber, what do you make of the bullet holes in the shed? Could they have been made by homemade ammo? Also, was there any reports of suspicious activity on the roads and/or area outside the gun range berm at the time of the death?
Grip

Postby RedWine » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Fred, can you tell me something about Simon's mother and her relation with Simon? Did Simon have siblings? Did Simon have any troubles at school recently? Has Simon ever done the shooting with you, or was he always just a spectator?
W&W, did Simon's behaviour change recently?
RedWine

Postby GalFisk » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:03 pm

How precisely is it known which way Simon was facing immediately before he fell? Wilma was looking at him at the time. He was watching the air gunner in front of him when he collapsed. Would in be possible to trace back along the path of the bullet and look for any holes in the far (facing the embankment) and/or right (facing the pistol range) wall in that location, whichever it intersects? Good thought. You go to the wall facing the pistol range. High up on this wall, almost up under the ceiling, you find a bullet hole. You also find two other spots where small holes in the wall have been repaired. Could those also be bullet holes? or is the uncertainty in the angle of the bullet enough that you couldn't tell where on the wall (or even through which wall) it would have needed to enter the building? No, I think you found it. The bullet hole(s?) all lead to the storage shed.

Melinda, do you find that Wilma and Winnie's eyewitness account squares with what you learned from the autopsy? Yes.

Fred, do you know of anyone who would want to do you or your son harm? Have you had any disputes with other members of the range? Absolutely not.

Weber, what do you make of the bullet holes in the shed? They're all quite high up on the wall. Could they have been made by homemade ammo? Hard to say. Also, was there any reports of suspicious activity on the roads and/or area outside the gun range berm at the time of the death? No, not that I know of. Frank-Roger may know more about this though.

Fred, can you tell me something about Simon's mother and her relation with Simon? He loved his mother very much, and she adored him as much as I did... Did Simon have siblings? No. Did Simon have any troubles at school recently? None at all. Has Simon ever done the shooting with you, or was he always just a spectator? He's been shooting a fair bit with me, and was becoming quite a good hunter... (Fred starts sobbing)
W&W, did Simon's behaviour change recently?
GalFisk

Postby Grip » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Frank-Roger, was there any reports of suspicious activity on the roads and/or area outside the gun range berm at the time of the death? Also, sir, did you have two bullet holes in the wall facing the pistol range repaired?

Weber, is there anyway we can reach the bullet holes in the shed for closer inspection?

W and W, do you know anything about the air gunner Simon was watching?
Grip

Postby RedWine » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:15 pm

Fred, and also W and W, was Simon interested in the achievements of any particular competitor today? Did he particularly interact with anyone of the competitors today? Or on previous occassions? Did his behaviour change recently?
RedWine

Postby biograd » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Is the wall on the opposite side of the shed (the one facing the pistol range) a regular solid wooden wall (as opposed to, for example, a chain-link fence)? If so, does it have any holes on the opposite side from where the holes are in the partition separating it from the interior of the airgun range?

Ask Fred and Weber what kinds of bullet, and from what kinds of gun, would have enough velocity to penetrate two walls, the width of the shed, and the distance to Simon and still be traveling with lethal force.
biograd

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:30 pm

Frank-Roger, was there any reports of suspicious activity on the roads and/or area outside the gun range berm at the time of the death? No. Also, sir, did you have two bullet holes in the wall facing the pistol range repaired? Well, yeah. As I said, someone's been shooting at my shed, and I had to plug some holes.

Weber, is there anyway we can reach the bullet holes in the shed for closer inspection? Yes, there's a step ladder in the shed. What do you want to see, and from where?

W and W, do you know anything about the air gunner Simon was watching? Not really, I mean he comes here now and again. He's pretty good, I think his name is Melvin or something.

Fred, and also W and W, was Simon interested in the achievements of any particular competitor today? Fred: not that I know of. W&W: no, he just wanted to hang out with his dad and with us. He went inside to get out of the hot sun. Did he particularly interact with anyone of the competitors today? He liked to talk to people and watch them shoot, just in general. Or on previous occassions? He was friendly with everybody. Did his behaviour change recently? No.

Is the wall on the opposite side of the shed (the one facing the pistol range) a regular solid wooden wall (as opposed to, for example, a chain-link fence)? No, it's made from corrugated iron sheeting, nailed to a wooden framework. If so, does it have any holes on the opposite side from where the holes are in the partition separating it from the interior of the airgun range? Yes, it does. Some of them have been repaired too. You are able to find two holes that look fresh and have not been repaired.

Ask Fred and Weber what kinds of bullet, and from what kinds of gun, would have enough velocity to penetrate two walls, the width of the shed, and the distance to Simon and still be traveling with lethal force. The bullet that hit him would be able to do that. Weber comments that it looks a bit too intact, but Fred counters that the competitive shooters often mix in other metals to make the bullets harder, which makes them more reliable and able to be fired with a bigger powder charge.
GalFisk

Postby Grip » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:52 pm

Weber - Okay, can we use the ladder to look at the bullet holes on the shed from both the inside and outside of it?

FR - Is there a Melvin who shoots the air pistol? if so, is he a nice guy?
Grip

Postby RedWine » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:46 pm

Can we take the home-made bullet to an expertise to get to know what material it's made of and how it's different from an ordinary bullet?
RedWine

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Weber - Okay, can we use the ladder to look at the bullet holes on the shed from both the inside and outside of it? Sure. The holes are high up on the outer shed wall, and the edges are bowed inwards. It is evident that bullets entered from the outside. When you look at the holes inside the shed, in the wall between the storage area and the airgun range, they appear to be somewhat higher up. You find another bullet hole in the outside of this wall, but no corresponding exit hole inside. It seems that the bullet in question hit a beam within the wall, and probably embedded itself there. This hole has also not been repaired.
So out of holes that have not been repaired, we have:
In the outer wall, facing the pistol range: 2 holes
On the ouside of the inner wall: 2 holes
On the inside of the inner wall: 1 hole

FR - Is there a Melvin who shoots the air pistol? if so, is he a nice guy? Yes sure, I know him. Good fella.

Can we take the home-made bullet to an expertise to get to know what material it's made of and how it's different from an ordinary bullet? Weber returns to his lab and does an analysis of the metals in the bullet. He finds that a fre percent of copper and antimony has been mixed with the lead in order to make it harder.
GalFisk

Postby Grip » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:14 pm

Air gunners, hello, is Melvin still here?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:43 pm

Air gunners, hello, is Melvin still here? That's me, sir.
GalFisk

Postby Grip » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:24 pm

Melvin, can you tell me what you witnessed? did you know Peter and his father?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:11 pm

Melvin, can you tell me what you witnessed? I was target shooting at the airgun range when I heard the girls yell out. When I turned around to see what that was about, I saw young Simon on the floor. did you know Peter and his father? You mean Simon? I haven't known them for long, but they've always been nice and easy to talk to, and seemed quite close.
GalFisk

Postby biograd » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:42 pm

If you connect the holes on the inner and outer walls, how far away from the airgun building does the bullet seem to have come from?
biograd

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:36 am

If you connect the holes on the inner and outer walls, how far away from the airgun building does the bullet seem to have come from?
Good idea! You and Weber draw strings between the two holes in the outer and inner walls, and extend the strings towards the pistol range. They pass over the berm with half an inch to spare, under the last set of baffles with about as much clearance, pass the 15 foot line at about eye level, the 30 foot line at about hip level, and hit the ground just behind the 45 foot line.
You get surveyor's tools to verify this using lasers, since string is inaccurate, and find that the paths taken by the two bullets cross at the 15 foot line.
It is obvious the range is not up to code, as berms and baffled are required to overlap and stop all bullets from all firing lines. Someone standing at 15 feet, kneeling at 30 feet or lying down at 45 feet can just barely see and therefore hit the airgun building.
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:45 am

The pistol shooters at the time of the accident were standing at 15 feet, correct? Can we examine their bullets to see if any match the composition of the fatal shot?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:28 am

The pistol shooters at the time of the accident were standing at 15 feet, correct? Correct.Can we examine their bullets to see if any match the composition of the fatal shot? Yes. Three of the five batches match the alloy used, but only one of the shooters, George, used red wax to seal his cartridges.
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:34 pm

How many shots did the pistol shooters fire at their targets? Can we examine George's target to test his statement that all his shots hit?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:27 pm

How many shots did the pistol shooters fire at their targets? As many as possible within ten seconds. Can we examine George's target to test his statement that all his shots hit? No, it's pretty well shredded in the center. He really has excellent aim. The observers say they saw and heard every shot of his hit the metal backplate behind the target. Fred mentions that his competitors observing him would have been very keen to point out any outright misses.
Still, something probably did happen while he was shooting at his target, but what? The targets were at a height where any near misses would harmlessly impact the berm. Maybe his gun holds some answers?
And by the way, how did a bullet entering the airgun building on a slight upwards trajectory, right below the dropped ceiling, end up hitting Simon sho was sitting down near the other end?
These appear to be the only two remaining questions, unless there is some major flaw in the sequence of events we've deduced so far.
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:25 pm

Try asking George if he had possession of his gun the entire time.
Examine the metal backplate behind George's target. Has it been penetrated?
Balin

Postby biograd » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:06 pm

Also, ask Fred if he has ever observed guns spontaneously firing when being picked up/put down.
biograd

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Can you verify with Roger and Webber if the bullet hit the ceiling? or if it entered in a tube/duct/pipe?
Acridian9

Postby GalFisk » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:18 am

Try asking George if he had possession of his gun the entire time. Yes sir, I kept it in my belt holster when I was not shooting.
Examine the metal backplate behind George's target. Has it been penetrated? No, it's well dented, but quite thick and without holes.

Also, ask Fred if he has ever observed guns spontaneously firing when being picked up/put down. No, but they can double-fire.

Can you verify with Roger and Webber if the bullet hit the ceiling? or if it entered in a tube/duct/pipe? When you examine the ceiling tiles, you find that one of them has been gouged. The gouge matches the trajectory you traced out earlier.

***SPOILER***
- Fred, what do you mean by "double-fire"?
- Well, as you know, competitive speed shooters want their triggers to be very light. When the pistol whips back from the recoil, it may trigger another round immediately after the first one.
You and Weber ask George to get his gun, and a magazine of his competition bullets. You take him to the lab, and ask him to fire several shots into a slab of ballistics gel, the same way he does during competitions. You also film the firing with a high-speed camera.
The shooting looks to be precise and dead on target, but upon examination you find two bullets high in the gel slab. The high speed video shows that the gun double-fired on two shots, but so rapidly that it went unnoticed even by the shooter.
This must be what happened on the range. A bullet went high, unnoticed by everyone, passed just above the dirt berm and just below the baffle into the airgun shed, ricocheted shallowly against a soft ceiling tile, and hit poor Simon in the temple, killing him.
Time to go to court with your findings.
---
Thanks for playing!
This is based on a real incident, which I saw in a crime documentary. Names and details have been changed because I don't remember them exactly. The range owner was convicted of negligence, as I recall.

Edit: the last thing that was "maybe unusual" about the bullet, which we never explored fully, was slight melting around the rear rim, caused by the bigger than usual powder charge used by the shooters.
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:54 pm

I knew this sounded familiar!
http://www.lateralpuzzles.com/discus/messages/2928/17046.html

Good puzzle! I enjoy these lateral mysteries.
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:54 pm

Hey, cool. I didn't know about that one.
I did find the documentary that I based the puzzle on: https://youtu.be/rn_DWerx9Og
GalFisk

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles