[JenBurdoo] The Last Place

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[JenBurdoo] The Last Place

Postby JenBurdoo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:30 pm

In the library where I work, we're currently under construction and also changing up our collection of books. This involves a lot of shifting materials to new places, but there is one set of books that would need to be moved in any case, for a very good reason. What is it?
JenBurdoo

Re: [JenBurdoo] The Last Place

Postby Doriana » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:51 pm

Current (political) events relevant? WAG: Are the books about Obama? And do they have to be moved from the "current president" to the "former presidents" section?
Doriana

Postby Grip » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:51 pm

Are the relevant books nonfiction? reference?

If these books are moved, will they cause damage? would removing them cause a weight imbalance that would collapse the library?
Grip

Postby JenBurdoo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:58 am

Current (political) events relevant? WAG: Are the books about Obama? And do they have to be moved from the "current president" to the "former presidents" section? No to all.

Are the relevant books nonfiction? This. reference? Irr.

If these books are moved, will they cause damage? would removing them cause a weight imbalance that would collapse the library? No to all.
JenBurdoo

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:30 am

I used to volunteer in a library, it's unlikely it would be the same one, but is your library in Central Florida?

Are the relevant books those that can't be checked out?

Are the books needing to be moved because they are out of date? inappropriate from some reason?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:18 pm

Are they moved to a Place more accessible to library patrons? Less? Inaccessible? Are the shelves themselves relevant? The weight of the books? Size? Number? If they were not moved, could they be damaged? Could they damage something? Could they be lost?
GalFisk

Postby JenBurdoo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:24 pm

I used to volunteer in a library, it's unlikely it would be the same one, but is your library in Central Florida? South Florida. I volunteered in a tiny branch in Kansas when I was in high school.

Are the relevant books those that can't be checked out? No.

Are the books needing to be moved because they are out of date? inappropriate from some reason? No to both.

Are they moved to a Place more accessible to library patrons? This. Less? Inaccessible? Are the shelves themselves relevant? No. The weight of the books? Size? Number? All of these may be mildly relevant. If they were not moved, could they be damaged? Could they damage something? Could they be lost? No to the rest.
JenBurdoo

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:43 pm

If the library were not under construction, would the books be moved to the same place they are actually being moved to?
Balin

Postby Grip » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:59 pm

South Florida. I volunteered in a tiny branch in Kansas when I was in high school. Didn't think it would be the same one, but it was worth a try! :)

Are the books rarely checked out? rarely consulted?
Grip

Postby JenBurdoo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:03 pm

If the library were not under construction, would the books be moved to the same place they are actually being moved to? Yes.

Are the books rarely checked out? rarely consulted? No, they are regularly used.
JenBurdoo

Postby trebor » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:54 am

Were these books previously inaccessible to certain people? People with mobility issues? Are they being moved somewhere far away within the library? Relevant? Is it relevant whether they will be nearer an entrance or exit? Nearer the check-out? Nearer the washrooms?

By "set", do you mean a collection of a number of different books around a similar topic/theme? Or a box set or collection meant to all be sold together? (Because if it's the latter, I'm thinking it could be that you're taking a Fifty Shades box set and moving it to the dumpster.)
trebor

Postby GalFisk » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:32 am

Were they about wheelchair use and maintenance? Life tips for short people? Skull saving life have for the very tall? Myopia without correction: how to live and flourish? How to lift books without damaging them for the excessively strong? Other books for a certain demographic?
GalFisk

Postby JenBurdoo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:25 pm

Were these books previously inaccessible to certain people? Could be. People with mobility issues? Quite possibly. Are they being moved somewhere far away within the library? No. Relevant? Is it relevant whether they will be nearer an entrance or exit? Nearer the check-out? Nearer the washrooms? No to all.

By "set", do you mean a collection of a number of different books around a similar topic/theme? This. Or a box set or collection meant to all be sold together? (Because if it's the latter, I'm thinking it could be that you're taking a Fifty Shades box set and moving it to the dumpster.) What I think about a book unfortunately doesn't matter that much... :p

Were they about wheelchair use and maintenance? Life tips for short people? Skull saving life have for the very tall? Myopia without correction: how to live and flourish? How to lift books without damaging them for the excessively strong? None of these but very much on the right track. Other books for a certain demographic? Yes. Quite close to solution.
JenBurdoo

Postby RedWine » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:24 pm

Were the relevant books published in Braille alphabet?
RedWine

Postby trebor » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:30 am

Books about aging being placed up a set of stairs and too high/low on the shelf? Children's books placed too high?
trebor

Postby JenBurdoo » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:45 pm

Were the relevant books published in Braille alphabet? No.

Books about aging being placed up a set of stairs and too high/low on the shelf? Too low on the shelf, but not aging. You have the right idea, though. Children's books placed too high? No.

I don't want to make you guess at this point, and you've already given me a lot of genre locations to think about at work... thanks!

Spoiler:

The section is on pregnancy, which happens to be on the bottom shelf -- maybe not the best place for someone who may be unwieldy on her feet.
JenBurdoo

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles