[Balin] I've got a fever, and the only prescription...

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] I've got a fever, and the only prescription...

Postby Balin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:39 am

Why did Katie name her restaurant "The Home Team" when it was located 20 miles from the nearest stadium?
Balin

Re: [Balin] I've got a fever, and the only prescription...

Postby Grip » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:52 am

Katie = HAF?

Type of restaurant relevant?
Grip

Postby RedWine » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:26 pm

Google search results relevant? Did she run a family restaurant? Does the restaurant serve specific cuisine?
RedWine

Postby GalFisk » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:58 am

Is the history of the place relevant? Is a specific sport relevant? Are sports relevant at all? Relevant which country this happened in?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:54 pm

Katie = HAF? Yes

Type of restaurant relevant? No

Google search results relevant? Did she run a family restaurant? Does the restaurant serve specific cuisine? No to all

Is the history of the place relevant? No Is a specific sport relevant? Yes (baseball) Are sports relevant at all? Yes Relevant which country this happened in? Yes (the US, although this is fictional and so never actually happened)
Balin

Postby Doriana » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:11 pm

Is a specific baseball team relevant?

Does she expect to attract more customers by naming her restaurant The Home Team? to attract a specific type of customers?

Does she show baseball games on TV?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:17 pm

Is a specific baseball team relevant? No

Does she expect to attract more customers by naming her restaurant The Home Team? to attract a specific type of customers? She thinks she can make it a sports-themed restaurant and attract customers that way, but this is Irrel

Does she show baseball games on TV? Probably, but Irrel
Balin

Postby Doriana » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:20 pm

Was the city the restaurant is in home to a baseball team in the past? If so, had the team been relocated to a different city?
Doriana

Postby Balin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:24 pm

Was the city the restaurant is in home to a baseball team in the past? No/Irrel If so, had the team been relocated to a different city?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Is the nearest stadium relevant? Any other stadium? Is travel relevant? Is her restaurant located between two relevant places? Does she expect people to stop at the restraurant on their way to or from a specific place?
GalFisk

Postby RedWine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Did she have any relevant connections with baseball? Did she choose the name for the sake of herself? her family? her friends? the customers? the baseball players? the baseball supporters?
RedWine

Postby Westing1992 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:33 pm

Is the name of the team relevant? The type of cuisine the restaurant serves? Are they connected?
Does Katie wish for people to associate the restaurant with the local team while avoiding trademark infringement?
Westing1992

Postby Balin » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:25 am

Is the nearest stadium relevant? No Any other stadium? No Is travel relevant? In a way, Yes Is her restaurant located between two relevant places? No Does she expect people to stop at the restaurant on their way to or from a specific place? No

Did she have any relevant connections with baseball? No
Did she choose the name for the sake of herself? her family? her friends? the customers? the baseball players? the baseball supporters? No to all =D

Is the name of the team relevant? No (no specific team is relevant) The type of cuisine the restaurant serves? No Are they connected? No
Does Katie wish for people to associate the restaurant with the local team while avoiding trademark infringement? No
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:48 am

Does she want the name to be visible in a specific context? Such as certain web searches? A certain place in an alphabetized list? Does she want to attract people from a certain location? Is she relevant competing with any other restaurant? Any other business? Is she relevantly trying to take advantage of some effort put forth by someone else?
GalFisk

Postby peter365 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:14 am

Is there a clever acronym at play here? Had she called it the 'Away Team' would it have worked just as well? Is there something unusual about the architecture of the restaurant?

Is her only motivation to make the restaurant more successful?
peter365

Postby RedWine » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:58 am

Does the restaurant have a relevant webpage? Is it relevant how the business is advertised?
RedWine

Postby Balin » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Does she want the name to be visible in a specific context? No Such as certain web searches? A certain place in an alphabetized list?
Does she want to attract people from a certain location? No, but location is relevant
Is she relevant competing with any other restaurant? Any other business? Is she relevantly trying to take advantage of some effort put forth by someone else? No to all

Is there a clever acronym at play here? No, but there is wordplay involved Had she called it the 'Away Team' would it have worked just as well? No Is there something unusual about the architecture of the restaurant? No

Is her only motivation to make the restaurant more successful? I'll say Yes - she will probably use the wordplay in the advertising to attract customers, but she also just likes the wordplay

Does the restaurant have a relevant webpage? Not relevant Is it relevant how the business is advertised? No
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Is the wordplay related to: "home"? "team"? Both? Is rhyming relevant? Is the name of a place relevant? Is their building relevant? Is it shared with any other busness? Or residence? Relevant?
GalFisk

Postby kalira » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Wordplay related to the song "Take me out to the ballgame"? Does her menu relevantly feature root vegetables? root beer? Peanuts and Cracker Jack relevant?
kalira

Postby Balin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:07 am

Is the wordplay related to: "home"? "team"? Both? This, see below... Is rhyming relevant? No Is the name of a place relevant? Yes Is their building relevant? Yope Is it shared with any other business? No Or residence? No Relevant? No

Wordplay related to the song "Take me out to the ballgame"? Yes! Does her menu relevantly feature root vegetables? root beer? Peanuts and Cracker Jack relevant? All irrel

Good to see you again Kalira!
Balin

Postby peter365 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:30 am

Is the address of the restaurant relevant? Is it on Route 4? or similar?
peter365

Postby Balin » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Is the address of the restaurant relevant? Yes... Is it on Route 4? Exactly! or similar?

****SPOILER****

Katie's restaurant is located on Route 4, so she named it "The Home Team" as a play on the line "For it's root, root, root for the home team" in the song "Take Me Out to the Ball Game."

Well done Pete, Kalira, and everyone else.
Balin

Re: [Balin] (*THREE STRIKES YOU'RE OUT*) I've got a fever...

Postby peter365 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:49 am

Hooray ! Nice puzzle .

A slightly negative consequence of this fine puzzle has been my inability to get this song out of my head.
peter365

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles