[Doriana] Veggie Patty and Selma

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] Veggie Patty and Selma

Postby Doriana » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:38 pm

When Selma (H/A/F) goes for burgers with her friends, she always orders the vegetarian option, although she is not a vegetarian and doesn't have any relevant dietary restrictions.
Last edited by Doriana on Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] Veggie Patty and Selma

Postby RedWine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Is it relevant where they go? Does she think that she would be served first? That her meal would be fresher? That her meal would be prepared at the place? Are her friends vegetarian?
RedWine

Postby Doriana » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Is it relevant where they go? Yope. Assume a restaurant that specializes in burgers. Does she think that she would be served first? That her meal would be fresher? That her meal would be prepared at the place? No to all Are her friends vegetarian? Irrel
Doriana

Postby RedWine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:50 pm

Is it relevant when they go? Religious beliefs relevant? Do they go for burgers for an occassion? If they went for pizza, would Selma order vegetarian one? Do her friends also order vegetarian burger? Does she order a burger? Something else vegetarian? Does she know anything relevant about the place?
RedWine

Postby Grip » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:51 pm

Is any one particular vegetable in the special relevant?
Grip

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:54 pm

does Selma order cheese on her burger (if it is indeed a vegetarian cheezburger)?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Doriana » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:56 pm

Is it relevant when they go? Religious beliefs relevant? Do they go for burgers for an occassion? No to these If they went for pizza, would Selma order vegetarian one? No, good question Do her friends also order vegetarian burger? Irrel Does she order a burger? Assume this Something else vegetarian? Assume no Does she know anything relevant about the place? No, this behaviour is not related to a specific burger restaurant

Is any one particular vegetable in the special relevant? No

does Selma order cheese on her burger (if it is indeed a vegetarian cheezburger)? Irrel. You can assume that it's a cheezburgur if you want to =)
Doriana

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:02 pm

I always assume teh cheezburger :D doez vejitaryun cheezburgur cost less than regular? if she gets a meal, does it come with a different side that she likes better than the regular one?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Doriana » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:03 pm

I always assume teh cheezburger :D doez vejitaryun cheezburgur cost less than regular? Irrel if she gets a meal, does it come with a different side that she likes better than the regular one? Good idea, but no
Doriana

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:19 pm

aww :(

hmm

I never get any other kind of cheezburger than regular so I don't know what options are relevant here

thinking of one of my favorite burger places, In-n-Out, though, I know there's options...

"Animal Style" which is grilled onions piled on your burger (or fries!)
"Protein Style" which is bunless and wrapped in lettuce
Pretty sure there is a vegetarian burger too but I dunno what it's called

Wouldn't be surprised if you could do all that with a vegetarian burger...

I like to order mine without onions, so it comes with lettuce, tomato and obviously cheese besides the meat.

I also have been to Five Guys, since it has come to California. Their fries are ENORMOUS. @_@ No way anyone can eat a whole thing of fries by themselves unless that's ALL they're eating.

I've seen that there's something like a hundred different options (okay, well at least thirty, but lots more than I'd seen anywhere else up to that point) one can get on their burger, pretty much all free (well, some might cost, but I'm not adventurous enough to put most of the things on there) I don't frequent Five Guys so I can't remember all the topping options. Are free toppings figured into her reason for picking the burger?

Other hamburger restaurants around here include the Habit Burger Grill and Smashburger, both of which I've been to twice at most. Habit Burger is famous for its chargrilled burgers and chicken sandwiches, while Smashburgers are "smashed" and I didn't pay attention to whether there were vegetarian options or not. They do make a big thing about using 100% Angus beef though. So maybe not...

Does the burger restaurant Selma goes to have a particular specialty in vegetarian burgers? Are their regular burgers particularly bad (whether in her opinion or not) while the vegetarian ones are better? Or does it ONLY do vegetarian burgers?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Doriana » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:26 pm

aww :(

hmm

I never get any other kind of cheezburger than regular so I don't know what options are relevant here Well, the only relevant thing about the burger is that it is vegetarian

thinking of one of my favorite burger places, In-n-Out, though, I know there's options...

"Animal Style" which is grilled onions piled on your burger (or fries!)
"Protein Style" which is bunless and wrapped in lettuce
Pretty sure there is a vegetarian burger too but I dunno what it's called

Wouldn't be surprised if you could do all that with a vegetarian burger... Wouldn't be surprised either, but different styles are irrel to the solution, sorry =(

I like to order mine without onions, so it comes with lettuce, tomato and obviously cheese besides the meat.

I also have been to Five Guys, since it has come to California. Their fries are ENORMOUS. @_@ No way anyone can eat a whole thing of fries by themselves unless that's ALL they're eating.

I've seen that there's something like a hundred different options (okay, well at least thirty, but lots more than I'd seen anywhere else up to that point) one can get on their burger, pretty much all free (well, some might cost, but I'm not adventurous enough to put most of the things on there) I don't frequent Five Guys so I can't remember all the topping options. Are free toppings figured into her reason for picking the burger? No

Other hamburger restaurants around here include the Habit Burger Grill and Smashburger, both of which I've been to twice at most. Habit Burger is famous for its chargrilled burgers and chicken sandwiches, while Smashburgers are "smashed" and I didn't pay attention to whether there were vegetarian options or not. They do make a big thing about using 100% Angus beef though. So maybe not...

Does the burger restaurant Selma goes to have a particular specialty in vegetarian burgers? No Are their regular burgers particularly bad (whether in her opinion or not) while the vegetarian ones are better? Keep in mind that this is not limited to one restaurant in particular. Very OTRT though, good question! Or does it ONLY do vegetarian burgers? Good idea, but again, no
Doriana

Postby Balin » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:22 am

I have a feeling I should remember this from a year ago, but I don't...

Does she simply prefer the taste of vegetarian burgers? Does she think it will be of higher quality since it is less likely to have been mass-made longer ago?

Also, if you think one person can't polish off a burger and fries at Five Guys, clearly you have not seen me there....
Balin

Postby LemonCurry » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:02 am

Is she afraid of disgusting ingredients in meat burgers? Urban legends relevant? Had she once gotten sick from a burger?

Is it just easier for her to order a veggie burger? Are language barriers or speech impediments relevant?
LemonCurry

Postby GalFisk » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:28 am

Does she need to wait extra for the veggie burger? Is the veggie burger more recently made? More cleanly made? Relevant how the burger is prepared? Is consideration for people besides herself relevant? For animals?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:16 am

I have a feeling I should remember this from a year ago, but I don't... Well, I only recently learned about Selma's habit, so there's no way you could remember this :P

Does she simply prefer the taste of vegetarian burgers? Yesish, but there's more to it Does she think it will be of higher quality since it is less likely to have been mass-made longer ago? No

Also, if you think one person can't polish off a burger and fries at Five Guys, clearly you have not seen me there....

Is she afraid of disgusting ingredients in meat burgers? Urban legends relevant? Had she once gotten sick from a burger? No to all

Is it just easier for her to order a veggie burger? No Are language barriers or speech impediments relevant? No (But a good idea, and a couple of years ago, I ran a puzzle about a woman who would always order "deux baguettes" in France because she couldn't remember whether it was "un baguette" or "une baguette")

Does she need to wait extra for the veggie burger? Is the veggie burger more recently made? More cleanly made? Relevant how the burger is prepared? Is consideration for people besides herself relevant? For animals? No to all
Doriana

Postby LemonCurry » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:54 am

Is it more about Selma disliking meat burgers, or liking veggie burgers?
Would Selma have a meat burger if the Restaurant had no veggie burgers? Would she like a chicken burger? a fish burger? A burger with no patties at all? A burger with one veggie patty and one meat patty? A burger with a steak instead of a regular patty? Is any other ingredient than the patties relevant?

Is Selma afraid of the meat being not thoroughly cooked? Does she like picking out the peas or carrot cubes from the veggie patty?
LemonCurry

Postby Doriana » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:58 am

Is it more about Selma disliking meat burgers, or liking veggie burgers? Disliking meat burgers
Would Selma have a meat burger if the Restaurant had no veggie burgers? I don't know Would she like a chicken burger? Assume no a fish burger? Maybe A burger with no patties at all? Yes A burger with one veggie patty and one meat patty? No A burger with a steak instead of a regular patty? I don't know Is any other ingredient than the patties relevant? No

Is Selma afraid of the meat being not thoroughly cooked? Does she like picking out the peas or carrot cubes from the veggie patty? No to both

Sorry for the maybes and I don't knows, but this is based on a true story and I can only work with the information that I have.
Doriana

Postby LemonCurry » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:07 am

Are any health concerns involved?
LemonCurry

Postby RedWine » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:55 am

Is it relevant what meat are the burgers made of? Is the way of preparing the meat relevant? Does she dislike the taste of the meat burgers? The look of meat burgers? Something else about meat burgers? Does she not order meat burgers to make a point? To make an impression on someone? If she was not with her friends, would she also choose vegetarian burger? Would she then not go to the burger place?
RedWine

Postby Doriana » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:10 am

Are any health concerns involved? No

Is it relevant what meat are the burgers made of? No Is the way of preparing the meat relevant? Only insofar as she doesn't like how it tastes in the end Does she dislike the taste of the meat burgers? Yes The look of meat burgers? No or irrel Something else about meat burgers? No Does she not order meat burgers to make a point? Yope. While it is not her primary intention, she does somehow make a point To make an impression on someone? No If she was not with her friends, would she also choose vegetarian burger? See next question Would she then not go to the burger place? Correct
Doriana

Postby RedWine » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:17 am

Does she dislike the burger place in general? Does she express her dislike by ordering vegetarian option? Does the place have vegetarian burgers in their standard option? Is the vegetarian option simply a standard burger without the meat ingredients? Does she dislike anyone who works there and want more work for them?
RedWine

Postby Doriana » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:24 am

Does she dislike the burger place in general? No, and keep in mind that this does not apply to one burger place in particular Does she express her dislike by ordering vegetarian option? Yesish Does the place have vegetarian burgers in their standard option? Assume yes Is the vegetarian option simply a standard burger without the meat ingredients? Irrel Does she dislike anyone who works there and want more work for them? Good idea, but no, and again - this would work at a number of burger places
Doriana

Postby LemonCurry » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:28 am

Does the meat burger remind Selma of anything unpleasant? An accident?

BTW, as this puzzle reminds me of an old puzzle of mine: Are any people from Hamburg relevant?
LemonCurry

Postby Doriana » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:51 am

Does the meat burger remind Selma of anything unpleasant? An accident? No to both

BTW, as this puzzle reminds me of an old puzzle of mine: Are any people from Hamburg relevant? No, but I'm curious as to what that puzzle was
Doriana

Postby LemonCurry » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:37 am

Here you go (sorry, it's silly): http://lateralpuzzles.com/discus/messages/2928/23182.html?1398852393

Is any specific ingredient of a meat patty relevant? Would she not eat meat burgers at any burger place? Would she eat home-made meat burgers?

Is she used to very good burgers from some specific place, and she won't eat any other burger?
LemonCurry

Postby Doriana » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:40 am

Is any specific ingredient of a meat patty relevant? No Would she not eat meat burgers at any burger place? There are places where she would eat them, but it's unlikely that she would go there with her friends Would she eat home-made meat burgers? If she made them herself, yes. If someone else made them, maybe.

Is she used to very good burgers from some specific place, and she won't eat any other burger? YES with a tiny -ish. Explore.
Doriana

Postby LemonCurry » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:51 am

Are the burger places where she would eat the burgers far away from her current residence? In her home town/Country/Region?

Is she following a tradition of some sort by eating only those special burgers?
LemonCurry

Postby RedWine » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Does she dislike burgers in general unless certain condition is met? Are vegetarian burgers the least unpleasant for her?
RedWine

Postby Doriana » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:07 pm

Are the burger places where she would eat the burgers far away from her current residence? yes In her home town/Country/Region? YES

Is she following a tradition of some sort by eating only those special burgers? no

Does she dislike burgers in general unless certain condition is met? Yope Are vegetarian burgers the least unpleasant for her? yes

********SPOILER********

Selma is an American friend of mine who has lived in Germany for about four years. When we go for burgers, she always orders a vegetarian one because she thinks that "Germans just can't do burgers right".
Doriana

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles