[WiZ] A funny thing happened in Latvia...

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] A funny thing happened in Latvia...

Postby WiZ » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:37 pm

So, I met this guy in Latvia. Nice enough bloke. Talented, too. He made me some pretty big promises, then in the next breath said he could take away all my money. I gave him a little of my own money, along with a little friendly advice.

The next day, I see the same guy, in the same place. As charming and talented ever, still making the same big promises. He catches my eye, winks, and says he could make me thinner. I bury my face in my palm and head to the airport.

What was going on?

I promise this will be less complicated than my Slovakian puzzle.
Last edited by WiZ on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] A funny thing happened in Latvia...

Postby Balin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:20 pm

True story?
Relevant that this takes place in Latvia?
Did he make the promises directly to you? To a crowd of people?
Did you go to the airport to catch a plane? Would you have gone to the airport regardless of what the man did?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:21 pm

True story? yes
Relevant that this takes place in Latvia? no
Did he make the promises directly to you? To a crowd of people? this
Did you go to the airport to catch a plane? yes Would you have gone to the airport regardless of what the man did? yes
WiZ

Postby Balin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:23 pm

Was the man speaking in a public place? Was he indoors? Outdoors?
Were the man's promises facetious? Was he committing a crime? A scam artist?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:30 pm

Was the man speaking in a public place? yes Was he indoors? Outdoors? this
Were the man's promises facetious? undetermined - but he was probably capable of delivering on them Was he committing a crime? A scam artist? no to both
WiZ

Postby Balin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:41 am

You say "talented." Is his specific talent relevant to the solution? Is he a performer of some sort?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:50 am

You say "talented." Is his specific talent relevant to the solution? yes Is he a performer of some sort? yes
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:18 am

Make you thinner: reduce the mass of your body fat? Remove things from your wallet? Flatten you? Remove one of your dimensions? Make you look thinner? Reduce the size of your skeleton? Or muscles?
GalFisk

Postby peter365 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:03 pm

Is he busking? Does he get a lyric wrong? Do you correct him? Does he make another similar mistake next time?
peter365

Postby WiZ » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:48 pm

GalFisk

Make you thinner: reduce the mass of your body fat? This could work Remove things from your wallet? no Flatten you? This would work better Remove one of your dimensions? This is the best answer Make you look thinner? This could work Reduce the size of your skeleton? This could potentially work, but is not the best answer Or muscles? This could also work, better than the skeleton thing but worse than the others

Peter

Is he busking? yes Does he get a lyric wrong? yes Do you correct him? yes Does he make another similar mistake next time? yes

Outstanding questions from both of you. The essence of the puzzle is solved. Based on the information you have, can you hazard a guess at what the word and subsequent correction/mistakes were?
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:47 pm

Hmmm , struggling here .

I take it the song is well known yes? Is it a busking staple (Wonderwall seems to be what I most often hear buskers play) ?

Does the word he uses incorrectly sound like the right one? I can't get the notion that he's singing Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' and he says 'thinner' out of my head.
peter365

Postby kalira » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:39 pm

First thing that pops to mind is -- is the word he is trying to use "love"? Does he initially pronounce it like "rob"? Difficult to think of possibility for second mispronunciation... "low" perhaps?

"And IIIIIIIIIIIIeeiiiiiiii will always rob youuuuuuuu!" :lol:
kalira

Postby WiZ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Peter

I take it the song is well known yes? yes (Indeed, it was a #1 hit in Ireland and remains the 7th-best-selling single of all time there) Is it a busking staple (Wonderwall seems to be what I most often hear buskers play) ? yes, I have heard it performed by buskers in multiple countries

I don't think I heard anyone do Wonderwall when I was in Europe, but there was a gentleman in Galway performing 'Talk Tonight' by the same band. I heard the line 'A thousand million miles from home' and shed a single tear. Loved my time there, but realised then that I was pining for the fjords a little (we do have fjords, although we tend to spell them incorrectly. See: Fiordland National Park).

Does the word he uses incorrectly sound like the right one? yes I can't get the notion that he's singing Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' and he says 'thinner' out of my head. :lol: It's more subtle, and closer, but you have the right idea

Kalira

First thing that pops to mind is -- is the word he is trying to use "love"? no (although it is a love song) Does he initially pronounce it like "rob"? Difficult to think of possibility for second mispronunciation... "low" perhaps? :lol: An amusing example, but no

"And IIIIIIIIIIIIeeiiiiiiii will always rob youuuuuuuu!" :lol:
WiZ

Postby Balin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:13 pm

Hmm... so the promises and claims he makes are song lyrics, correct? Or gaffed song lyrics?
Does he make the mistake twice in the same song? In two different songs?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:48 pm

Hmm... so the promises and claims he makes are song lyrics, correct? correct Or gaffed song lyrics? and also correct
Does he make the mistake twice in the same song? yes, on different days In two different songs? no
WiZ

Postby Balin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:51 pm

Is the "money" promise a mis-sung lyric? A correct lyric?
Same for the "thinner" promise?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Is the "money" promise a mis-sung lyric? yes A correct lyric? no
Same for the "thinner" promise? as above
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:29 am

Obviously because of my encyclopedic knowledge of the history of the Irish Charts (particularly from the 2000 onwards) I can guess with a fair degree of confidence that the song in question is 'Hero' by Enrique Iglesias. I will admit to looking up how to spell Iglesias.

Is this right? Does he say zero instead of Hero?
peter365

Postby Balin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:46 am

Assuming that's the correct song, I would guess the blundered line is the last line of the chorus, "You can take my breath away." Did he substitute something else for "breath"? Perhaps "wealth"? "Breadth"? "Girth"?
Balin

Postby kalira » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:50 pm

"Bread"?

"Breath" misspoken as "bread," then corrected (for svv) to "breadth" sounds fairly intuitive.
kalira

Postby WiZ » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:34 pm

Peter

Obviously because of my encyclopedic knowledge of the history of the Irish Charts (particularly from the 2000 onwards) obviously I can guess with a fair degree of confidence that the song in question is 'Hero' by Enrique Iglesias. correct! I will admit to looking up how to spell Iglesias. For a while, he was on the charts at the same time as Natalie Imbruglia. Fortunately, this was pre-spotify, and you could just give the CD store clerk your request verbally.

Balin

Assuming that's the correct song, I would guess the blundered line is the last line of the chorus, "You can take my breath away." correct! Did he substitute something else for "breath"? yes Perhaps "wealth"? "Breadth"? this, on day 2 "Girth"?

Kalira

"Bread"? yes, on day 1

"Breath" misspoken as "bread," then corrected (for svv) to "breadth" sounds fairly intuitive. correct!!

***** Spoiler *****

This guy was a busker, performing Enrique Iglesias' worldwide smash hit Hero. His English was markedly better than my Latvian, but still imperfect. On the first day I encountered him in Riga's old town, he sang the chorus as follows:

I can be your hero, baby
I can kiss away your pain
I will stand by you forever
You... can... take... my bread away

I gave him 2 Euro and congratulated him on his performance. Upon discovering that I was a native English speaker, he asked me how he did. I gave him some pronunciation tips, and we parted amicably.

On day 2, I returned to the old town to buy some postcards on the way to the airport. Sure enough, there he was again, doing what must have been his signature piece. I listened:

I can be your hero, baby
I can kiss away your pain
I will stand by you forever
You... can... take... my breadth away

So near, and yet so far. Best of luck, busker of Riga. You probably got it right while I was in London.

What a trifecta! Your questions went through-and-through like a vorpal blade-and-a-half! Snicker-snicker-snack! Well done, Peter, Balin and Kalira. And Paldies for playing! (my mnemonic for this was that every time I thank a Latvian, my pal dies...)
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] A funny thing happened in Latvia... [BREATHLESS]

Postby GalFisk » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:01 am

That was a good one!
GalFisk

Re: [WiZ] A funny thing happened in Latvia... [BREATHLESS]

Postby peter365 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:14 am

Love it. Maybe he knew pain was french for bread and made an assumption :lol:
peter365

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles