[Hobbsicle] All Flash

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Hobbsicle] All Flash

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:18 pm

If I had seen the other flashing light, I would have saved some time and a bit of embarrassment.
Last edited by Hobbsicle on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbsicle

Re: [Hobbsicle] All Flash

Postby Doriana » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:37 pm

I = you, Hobbsicle?

Was the flasing light a warning light of some sort? a traffic light?

Does this happen at night?
Indoors? Outdoors?

Other people relevant?
Doriana

Postby Hobbsicle » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:47 pm

I = you, Hobbsicle? Yes

Was the flasing light a warning light of some sort? Yes-ish a traffic light? No

Does this happen at night? No
Indoors? Outdoors? This

Other people relevant? Yes-ish
Hobbsicle

Postby biograd » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:55 pm

"The other" implies that there were two flashing lights, and you saw only one of them. Is this correct?

Would you also have been saved time and embarrassment if you had seen neither of the lights? or would you have lost even more time/been even more embarrassed? Did the existence of the second flashing light reveal something about the nature? or meaning? of the first?

Did you not see the other flashing light because the view was obstructed by something? because there was glare or something else about the conditions that made it hard to see? because you just didn't notice/overlooked it?

Does this flashing light flash all the time? or only sometimes? If only sometimes, is it otherwise steadily lit? or otherwise completely off?
biograd

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:32 am

"The other" implies that there were two flashing lights, and you saw only one of them. Is this correct? Yes

Would you also have been saved time and embarrassment if you had seen neither of the lights? No or would you have lost even more time/been even more embarrassed? Not more, probably the same Did the existence of the second flashing light reveal something about the nature? or meaning? of the first? Yes, both I guess

Did you not see the other flashing light because the view was obstructed by something? because there was glare or something else about the conditions that made it hard to see? because you just didn't notice/overlooked it? As much as I'd like to blame it on conditions, it was mostly just my fault

Does this flashing light flash all the time? No or only sometimes? Yes If only sometimes, is it otherwise steadily lit? No or otherwise completely off? Yes
Hobbsicle

Postby peter365 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:12 am

Was either flashing light a police car? An Ambulance or other emergency vehicle? Were you driving at the time? Had there been an accident?
peter365

Postby GalFisk » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:05 am

Was it an indicator? WAG: was it the light on a camera flash, indicating that it's not done charging yet, and will not produce a flash? Is photography relevant? Computers?
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:35 pm

Peter365

Was either flashing light a police car? No An Ambulance or other emergency vehicle? No Were you driving at the time? YES Had there been an accident? No

GalFisk

Was it an indicator? Not sure about what the term means in this context, can you clarify? WAG: was it the light on a camera flash, indicating that it's not done charging yet, and will not produce a flash? Like the idea, but No Is photography relevant? Computers? No to both
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:39 pm

An indicator: a light indicating the status of some device or machine. Like a "check engine" light in a car, or a "power" light on a computer.
If it was not an indicator, was it a signal light (a light warning you of something or telling you how to behave)?
WAG: did a vehicle have emergency blinkers on, but you saw only one side and thought it was indicating the intention of making a turn?
Were the blinking lights on a vehicle? Were the light you saw and the one you didn't see the same color? Were they blinking in unison?
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:52 pm

An indicator: a light indicating the status of some device or machine. Like a "check engine" light in a car, or a "power" light on a computer. No, not really this
If it was not an indicator, was it a signal light (a light warning you of something or telling you how to behave)? Yes
WAG: did a vehicle have emergency blinkers on, but you saw only one side and thought it was indicating the intention of making a turn? YES, that's a good WAG
Were the blinking lights on a vehicle? Were the light you saw and the one you didn't see the same color? Were they blinking in unison?

******************SPOILER************************

The other day, I was driving in my car, approaching an intersection at which I needed to make a left turn. I pulled in behind one other car, saw that his left turn signal was flashing, then looked down and proceeded to do something on my phone, which is America’s national red-light pastime. A couple of minutes later, I wondered what was taking so long for the light to turn, and I looked up to realize that not only their left signal was blinking, but their right as well, which told me their emergency flashers were on. I had been sitting there through a couple of traffic light cycles. I sheepishly got around them to make my turn.

I knew this one would be quick, thanks for playing, and good job to GalFisk for making the leap to the solution. Oh, and I was asking for you to clarify about the "indicator", because apparently that might refer to turn signal in the UK...
Hobbsicle

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles