[Doriana] Early bird, angry bird

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Doriana] Early bird, angry bird

Postby Doriana » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:39 am

This morning, I got angry with myself. Then, I got angry with someone else. Then, I got angry with myself again, but for a different reason. What happened?
Last edited by Doriana on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doriana

Re: [Doriana] Early bird, angry bird

Postby LemonCurry » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:36 am

Relevant that this happened in the early morning? Getting out of bed relevant? Getting to work? Breakfast? The bathroom?
LemonCurry

Postby Doriana » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:20 pm

Relevant that this happened in the early morning? Yesish Getting out of bed relevant? No Getting to work? Noish Breakfast? No The bathroom? Yope
Doriana

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Getting ready for the day relevant?
Any family/roommates relevant?

Are you mad at yourself initially because you forgot something? Because you accidentally did something? Because you chose to do something you now regret?

Same questions for the later time you're mad at yourself. Are you misinterpreting the situation the first two reactions?

Are each of these reactions compounding? Or are they replacing each other?
Hobbsicle

Postby Doriana » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:15 pm

Getting ready for the day relevant? Same yope as for "bathroom relevant" above. To clarify: I did something that many people do in the morning as part of getting ready for the day, but the action itself is only tangentially relevant to the solution.
Any family/roommates relevant?

Are you mad at yourself initially because you forgot something? Because you accidentally did something? Thisish, but see below re: "Misinterpreting the situation" Because you chose to do something you now regret?

Same questions for the later time you're mad at yourself. The later time is because I accidentally did something Are you misinterpreting the situation the first two reactions? YES

Are each of these reactions compounding? Or are they replacing each other? This
Doriana

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:43 am

On the last reaction, are you angry at yourself for misinterpreting? Or for something else you did regarding the current situation? Or both? Is there still some kind of problem once you get to the third reaction?

Is the initial problem that you think you lost something? Broke something?
Hobbsicle

Postby Doriana » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:04 am

On the last reaction, are you angry at yourself for misinterpreting? No Or for something else you did regarding the current situation? Yes Or both? Is there still some kind of problem once you get to the third reaction? Yes, albeit a very minor one that could easily be fixed

Is the initial problem that you think you lost something? Broke something? No to both
Doriana

Postby LemonCurry » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:13 am

Is hot and cold water relevant?
LemonCurry

Postby Doriana » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:20 am

Is hot and cold water relevant? No (But it's funny that you're asking, because for reasons totally unrelated to this puzzle, I did not have hot water this morning. Maybe I should call one of the plumbers from your recent plumber puzzles.)
Doriana

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:32 pm

Did you notice the problem while in the bathroom? The bedroom? Did you see something? Hear something? Smell something? Feel something?
Hobbsicle

Postby Doriana » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:45 pm

Did you notice the problem while in the bathroom? The bedroom? I noticed the first "problem" in the bathroom, the second "problem" in the bedroom, and the third (i.e. actual) problem in the bathroom again. Did you see something? This Hear something? Smell something? Feel something?
Doriana

Postby Doriana » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:42 am

HINT: There are two relevant objects, both smaller than a breadbox :D
Doriana

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Were the objects in places you didn't expect them to be? Was one in the bathroom and another in the bedroom? Toothbrush relevant? Clothing items? Electrical objects?
Hobbsicle

Postby Doriana » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:29 pm

Were the objects in places you didn't expect them to be? No, they were where I usually keep them Was one in the bathroom and another in the bedroom? Yes Toothbrush relevant? No Clothing items? One of the objects is noishly a clothing item Electrical objects? Yes for both objects, although one of them is usually not thought of as electrical
Doriana

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:39 am

Bathroom object: Do you plug it in? Or is it battery operated? Are you mad because it doesn't work? Or because it was left on? Turned off? Or set to something it shouldn't be? Is it a hairdryer? A curling iron? A light?

Bedroom object: Do you plug it in? Battery operated? Mad because it doesn't work? Was left on? Turned off? Set to something it shouldn't be? Is it a clock? A phone? A light? Headphones?
Hobbsicle

Postby Doriana » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:43 am

Bathroom object: Do you plug it in? No Or is it battery operated? Yes Are you mad because it doesn't work? When I'm mad at someone else, I'm also mad because I think the object doesn't work Or because it was left on? Turned off? Or set to something it shouldn't be? Is it a hairdryer? A curling iron? A light? No to rest

Bedroom object: Do you plug it in? Sometimes Battery operated? Usually this Mad because it doesn't work? Was left on? Turned off? Set to something it shouldn't be? No to these Is it a clock? A phone? THIS A light? Headphones?
Doriana

Postby GalFisk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Is a charger relevant? Was a phone not plugged into a charger? A charger not plugged into an outlet? A relevant switch turned off? Or on?
GalFisk

Postby Doriana » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Is a charger relevant? Was a phone not plugged into a charger? A charger not plugged into an outlet? A relevant switch turned off? Or on? No to all. There was no actual or perceived problem with the phone.
Doriana

Postby LemonCurry » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:52 am

Was it a smartphone? Were you relevantly intending to use it for a phone call? Messages? E-mail? Internet? Looking something up in the address book?
LemonCurry

Postby Doriana » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:38 am

Was it a smartphone? Yes, but irrel Were you relevantly intending to use it for a phone call? Messages? E-mail? Internet? Looking something up in the address book? No to all
Doriana

Postby LemonCurry » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:46 am

Checking the time relevant?
Is the other relevant object a wristwatch?
LemonCurry

Postby Doriana » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:53 am

Checking the time relevant?
Is the other relevant object a wristwatch?
YES to both
Doriana

Postby LemonCurry » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Do the times match? Summer Time/DST relevant? (a little late, I suppose)
LemonCurry

Postby Doriana » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:48 pm

Do the times match? NO, good question! Summer Time/DST relevant? (a little late, I suppose) A little late indeed. No.
Doriana

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Is one correct? If so, the watch? The phone?
Do you look at the watch first? The phone?
Are you mad at yourself because you think you got up late? Then, when you look at your phone, you're mad at the watch-maker because you think it's not working? Then you're mad at yourself because...you put the watch on upside down? You looked at it through the mirror?
Hobbsicle

Postby Doriana » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:37 am

Is one correct? Yes If so, the watch? The phone? This
Do you look at the watch first? This The phone?
Are you mad at yourself because you think you got up late? No, but OTRT Then, when you look at your phone, you're mad at the watch-maker because you think it's not working? Yes, although there's a bit more to it Then you're mad at yourself because...you put the watch on upside down? You looked at it through the mirror? No to both

Very good round!
Doriana

Postby Grip » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:17 pm

Are you mad at yourself because you got up too early?
Grip

Postby Doriana » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:46 pm

Are you mad at yourself because you got up too early? No, getting OTWT
Doriana

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:26 am

is the watch showing a later-than-actual time? Are you mad because you think you have taken too long to get ready?

Are you later mad at the watch makers because you think the watch is too fast?

Are you finally mad at yourself because you have misread the watch in some way? Because you set it for the wrong time? Because you let the watch wind down/run out of batteries?
Hobbsicle

Postby Doriana » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:38 pm

is the watch showing a later-than-actual time? Yes Are you mad because you think you have taken too long to get ready? YES

Are you later mad at the watch makers because you think the watch is too fast? No

Are you finally mad at yourself because you have misread the watch in some way? No Because you set it for the wrong time? Noish, but OTRT Because you let the watch wind down/run out of batteries? No, but the battery is relevant - see below

You've found out the order of events and some key elements, so I'll just fill you in on the details.

********SPOILER********

The other day, I had an appointment in the morning, so it was important for me to leave the house on time. I decided to take a quick shower and looked at my (analogue) watch when I got out of the shower. To my surprise, the watch showed a much later time than expected. So I got mad at myself for showering too long.

I then checked my cellphone and saw that it was actually 15 minutes earlier than what my watch had indicated. I got mad at the watch maker because I had the battery replaced just a couple of months ago and thought he had sold me a faulty or low-quality battery.

I then took my watch from the bathroom and realized that I must have pulled out the crown the night before when I took it off and that it had stopped at 7:45 the night before - an issue that could be fixed easily, but I was mad at myself again for misinterpreting the situation earlier.

Thanks for playing, Hobbsicle, Grip, GalFisk et al.!
Doriana

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles