[WiZ] Lux, sit!

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: kalira, peter365, JenBurdoo, Balin, Tiger

[WiZ] Lux, sit!

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:09 am

Two men are alone in a room. They are unrestrained. One instructs the other to sit down. He does. The first man leaves the room. The second man remains seated until he dies of thirst. Why?

I don't like imposing it, but Caveat Earlispoilor.
Last edited by WiZ on Sun May 07, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Lux, sit!

Postby Grip » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:55 am

Is this puzzle based on a joke?

Two men = humans?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:12 am

Does the first man intend for the second to die? Is the sitting man prevented from raising? From leaving? From drinking? Is glue involved? Some other sticky substance?
GalFisk

Postby Westing1992 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:11 pm

Does the second man die within a few minutes? Hours? Days?
Westing1992

Postby WiZ » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Grip

Is this puzzle based on a joke? No, although it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Two men = humans? yes

GalFisk

Does the first man intend for the second to die? yes Is the sitting man prevented from raising? yes, most relevantly From leaving? From drinking? yes, as a byproduct Is glue involved? Some other sticky substance? no to these

Westing

Does the second man die within a few minutes? Hours? Days? this
WiZ

Postby Grip » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:24 pm

Are the two men friends? strangers? family?

Is this a 007 secret agent type deal?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:32 pm

Are the two men friends? strangers? this is closest family?

Is this a 007 secret agent type deal? no
WiZ

Postby Balin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:33 pm

Does the second man sit in a chair? On a couch? On the floor?
Does the second man become restrained after sitting down?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:54 pm

Does the second man sit in a chair? On a couch? On the floor? no(t relevantly) to all
Does the second man become restrained after sitting down? yes
WiZ

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:00 am

Is he physically unable to get up? Mentally unable? If he had sat somewhere else in the room, would the situation remain the same? Would the man have been aware ahead of time that he would not be able to get up?
Hobbsicle

Postby WiZ » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:02 am

Is he physically unable to get up? yes Mentally unable? no If he had sat somewhere else in the room, would the situation remain the same? All other variables being the same, no Would the man have been aware ahead of time that he would not be able to get up? yes
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:14 am

Would the sitting man have been aware that his life was in danger? Does he expect to be rescued? Is the nature of the building they're in relevant? Is the man who leaves the room in a position of power (aside from the power he holds over the sitting man)? Is this a form of punishment? torture? Could this be classed as murder?
peter365

Postby Balin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:33 am

Is the second man being executed?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:42 am

Is he stuck by his: clothing? Skin? Limb(s)? By not being able to get a leverage? By a device rigged so that it will kill him if he does rise? Such as a mine? Or gun? Does he sit down in a specific way? In a specific place? Is he stuck by magnetic force?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:34 pm

Peter

Would the sitting man have been aware that his life was in danger? yes Does he expect to be rescued? irrel; assume no Is the nature of the building they're in relevant? no Is the man who leaves the room in a position of power (aside from the power he holds over the sitting man)? yes Is this a form of punishment? yes torture? yesish Could this be classed as murder? yes

Balin

Is the second man being executed? yesish

GalFisk

Is he stuck by his: clothing? Skin? Limb(s)? no By not being able to get a leverage? no By a device rigged so that it will kill him if he does rise? no Such as a mine? Or gun? Does he sit down in a specific way? no In a specific place? yesish, explore Is he stuck by magnetic force? no
WiZ

Postby JenBurdoo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:31 am

Is the man tied down? Brainwashed? Is he awake for the three days before death? Unconscious? Is he in a hospital? Location relevant? War crimes relevant?

Could the man have been killed in some other way? Instructed to kill himself?
JenBurdoo

Postby WiZ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:48 am

Is the man tied down? no Brainwashed? no Is he awake for the three days before death? yes (although would drift in and out of sleep, presumably) Unconscious? no, unless sleeping Is he in a hospital? no Location relevant? noish War crimes relevant? no

Could the man have been killed in some other way? probably Instructed to kill himself? yes
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:08 am

It says a lot about me that I'm picturing the dead man sitting on a toilet, is he? or perhaps in a bath? Is something added to restrain him after he sits down? Concrete?
peter365

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:05 am

It says a lot about me that I'm picturing the dead man sitting on a toilet After you guessed my puzzle about the guy cleaning his glasses at the hairdresser's, you're probably right to trust your instincts... , is he? ... but no, in this case or perhaps in a bath? no Is something added to restrain him after he sits down? no Concrete? no
WiZ

Postby JenBurdoo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:53 am

Is the second man adrift? At sea? In space? Does something beside his own personal health relevantly change over the course of his plight? If so, is that something related to his death? In proportion (ie, the loss or increase in whatever it is is directly related to the gradual change in his body until death?

Or does he die suddenly?
JenBurdoo

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:02 am

Is the second man adrift? At sea? In space? no to all Does something beside his own personal health relevantly change over the course of his plight? no If so, is that something related to his death? In proportion (ie, the loss or increase in whatever it is is directly related to the gradual change in his body until death? n/a

Or does he die suddenly? no
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:56 am

Is the first man following orders? Carrying out a formal sentence? Is he doing his job?
peter365

Postby GalFisk » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Does he sit in a chair? Can he move his arms freely? Does he know before sitting down that he will be unable to leave? That he will be left to die? Relevant why he is killed? Why he is killed in this particular way?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Does he sit in a chair? irrelevant, strictly speaking. Can he move his arms freely? yes Does he know before sitting down that he will be unable to leave? yes That he will be left to die? yes Relevant why he is killed? yesish, largely for context Why he is killed in this particular way? yes, more so
WiZ

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 pm

Is the first man following orders? no Carrying out a formal sentence? yope - it wouldn't be considered terribly formal by most legal systems Is he doing his job? yes (slight DOYD of 'job')
WiZ

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:37 am

Would any average, healthy person be in the same situation if they sat? Does he have any physical abnormalities or injuries that are relevant?

Does the room have four perpendicular walls? A ceiling? A flat floor? Centrifugal forces relevant? When he sits, is he stationary in relation to the room? In relation the the earth?
Hobbsicle

Postby peter365 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:01 am

We're not making much progress on this one, can't help feeling we're missing something obvious.

Are there any relevant objects in the room? Is the room made of bricks and mortar? Does it have a window? Are there people outside the room witnessing what's going on? Will the man's death be reported? newsworthy? Is anyone else set to suffer the same fate? Has the dead man committed a crime? or been disloyal or treacherous ? Does this happen in a specific era?

Is there an elephant in this room? :D :D :D
peter365

Postby android18 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:42 pm

Does the first man want the second man to die? Does the second man want to die? Or thinks he deserves to? Relevant what time period this is set in? Is he a POW? Or something similar? Is the whole situation some sort of test or game?
android18

Postby GalFisk » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Is sitting down and dying a matter of honor or duty? Is the victim a traitor? Is there a relevant war?
GalFisk

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Is the man trapped inside something within the room? Such as a coffin?
JenBurdoo

Postby WiZ » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Hobbsicle

Would any average, healthy person be in the same situation if they sat? yes, all other variables being the same Does he have any physical abnormalities or injuries that are relevant? no

Does the room have four perpendicular walls? yes A ceiling? yes A flat floor? yes Centrifugal forces relevant? no When he sits, is he stationary in relation to the room? yes In relation the the earth? yes

Peter

We're not making much progress on this one, can't help feeling we're missing something obvious. It may have more to do with the puzzle being a bit rubbish. Don't give up hope! Your questions are good.

Are there any relevant objects in the room? yes! Is the room made of bricks and mortar? no (not strictly relevant) Does it have a window? irrelevant Are there people outside the room witnessing what's going on? irrelevant Will the man's death be reported? probably not; depending on the importance of the man in question, which is left as an exercise for the reader newsworthy? see above answer Is anyone else set to suffer the same fate? irrelevant but quite possibly Has the dead man committed a crime? yope to yesish or been disloyal or treacherous ? yesish to yes Does this happen in a specific era? yesish, exploring specifics as to context is a useful line

Is there an elephant in this room? :D :D :D *parp!*

Android

Does the first man want the second man to die? yes Does the second man want to die? no, he found it most inconvenient Or thinks he deserves to? yope - depends on whether we're talking about legal or moral desert Relevant what time period this is set in? yesish, there are more important variables than 'time' at play Is he a POW? no Or something similar? not really Is the whole situation some sort of test or game? no

GalFisk

Is sitting down and dying a matter of honor or duty? no Is the victim a traitor? perhaps Is there a relevant war? no

JenBurdoo

Is the man trapped inside something within the room? no Such as a coffin? no
WiZ

Postby Balin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:25 am

Is it relevant what country the scenario takes place in? Is the man in prison?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:54 pm

Is it relevant what country the scenario takes place in? yesish Is the man in prison? no
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:36 am

Is the relevant object designed to make the man stay put? Is it alive?
peter365

Postby GalFisk » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:41 pm

Does it happen in Europe? Asia? Africa? Australia? North America? South America? Antarctica?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Peter

Is the relevant object designed to make the man stay put? Yes, in this instance Is it alive? No, with the world's smallest ish

GalFisk

Does it happen in Europe? Asia? Africa? Australia? North America? South America? yes with a DOYD to both Antarctica? no to rest
WiZ

Postby Grip » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:05 pm

Did this occur in Central America? (FWIW, Central America is considered part of North America.)
Grip

Postby WiZ » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:15 pm

Did this occur in Central America? yes (FWIW, Central America is considered part of North America.) So it is.
WiZ

Postby Grip » Mon May 01, 2017 3:37 pm

Is the country in question Panama? Costa Rica? Nicaragua? Guatemala? Belize? Honduras? El Salvador? (I didn't look those up by the way, I'm a smrt boy!)
Grip

Postby WiZ » Wed May 03, 2017 8:52 pm

Is the country in question Panama? Costa Rica? Nicaragua? Guatemala? Belize? Honduras? El Salvador? (I didn't look those up by the way, I'm a smrt boy!) None of the above.

Have you ever played the quizzes on Sporcle? Thanks to that site, I've typed the word 'Kyrgyzstan' more often in the space of a day than in all the years preceding...
WiZ

Postby Grip » Wed May 03, 2017 11:49 pm

Yup, I play quizzes on there all the time. Improved my geography knowledge tremendously. Got many badges. I won't show you, because I don't have to show you any steenking badges!

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure those are all the Central American countries...I'll try countries close by...Mexico? Venezuela? Colombia? Suriname? Guyana? Ecuador? is the country an island?
Grip

Postby hominid » Thu May 04, 2017 4:00 am

Is the man who dies afraid of the object? Is it placed in front of the door?
hominid

Postby LemonCurry » Thu May 04, 2017 5:29 am

Is the man restrained by a heavy object lowered onto his legs?
Is he getting punished for taking part in a failed coup? Or assassination attempt?

WAG: he had shot El Presidente but missed any vital parts, and is now punished by
the executioner "missing any vital parts" with the execution device?
LemonCurry

Postby android18 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:14 pm

Is the object fire?
android18

Postby WiZ » Fri May 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Grip

Yup, I play quizzes on there all the time. Improved my geography knowledge tremendously. Got many badges. I won't show you, because I don't have to show you any steenking badges! I've missed out on a great many by striving for excellence rather than perfection. I'd rather learn something entirely new than chase down the 198th country for the dozenth time.

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure those are all the Central American countries...I'll try countries close by...Mexico? Venezuela? Colombia? Suriname? Guyana? Ecuador? is the country an island? <-- this

Hominid

Is the man who dies afraid of the object? yes, in that he understands what it's capable of Is it placed in front of the door? no

LemonCurry

Is the man restrained by a heavy object lowered onto his legs? Not exactly, but we're getting warmer
Is he getting punished for taking part in a failed coup? Or assassination attempt? his specific transgression isn't as relevant as the person/authority against whom he transgressed

WAG: he had shot El Presidente but missed any vital parts, and is now punished by
the executioner "missing any vital parts" with the execution device? A delicious idea, but no

Android

Is the object fire? No
WiZ

Postby android18 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:55 pm

Country is Cuba? Jamaica? Dominican Republic? Barbados? An object like a saw? Something else that could sever body parts? Or inflict any sort of bodily damage? Does the object help to kill him in any way? Or just restrain him?
android18

Postby WiZ » Fri May 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Country is Cuba? Jamaica? Dominican Republic? Barbados? no to all, DR is closest An object like a saw? no Something else that could sever body parts? it *can*, but wasn't used to this effect in this case Or inflict any sort of bodily damage? as above Does the object help to kill him in any way? no, outside of restraining him Or just restrain him? yes
WiZ

Postby android18 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Haiti? Puerto Rico (not technically a country but still)? Is it a common object found today? Such as a rope? Or wire/cable?
android18

Postby WiZ » Fri May 05, 2017 9:12 pm

Haiti? yes Puerto Rico (not technically a country but still)? Is it a common object found today? no (it wasn't terribly common then, either) Such as a rope? Or wire/cable? no to these
WiZ

Postby hominid » Sat May 06, 2017 1:42 am

Is it a formerly living thing that died? If he had stood up, would he be killed by the object? Injured?
hominid

Postby GalFisk » Sat May 06, 2017 6:17 am

Is the object a weapon? A tool? Does it have symbolic meaning? Religious significance? Political or legal significance?
GalFisk

Postby LemonCurry » Sat May 06, 2017 7:31 am

Voodoo involved?
LemonCurry

Postby Grip » Sat May 06, 2017 1:33 pm

Any natural disasters relevant?

Was the person transgressed against the president? a king?

Is it relevant what specific city or region of Haiti this occurs in?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Sun May 07, 2017 10:49 pm

Hominid

Is it a formerly living thing that died? no If he had stood up, would he be killed by the object? Injured? no to both; but standing up would have proved impossible

GalFisk

Is the object a weapon? yope to noish A tool? yope to yesish Does it have symbolic meaning? symbolism is important Religious significance? yes Political or legal significance? no

LemonCurry

Voodoo involved? yes!

Grip

Any natural disasters relevant? no

Was the person transgressed against the president? a king? no to both

Is it relevant what specific city or region of Haiti this occurs in? no
WiZ

Postby Grip » Sun May 07, 2017 10:50 pm

Voodoo doll relevant?
Grip

Postby WiZ » Sun May 07, 2017 11:45 pm

Voodoo doll relevant? indeed.

***** SPOILER *****

The man had offended a witch doctor, who sentenced him to death by having him sit on a voodoo doll of himself. He was unable to stand up.

Well done, Grip, on the final piece, and everyone else for your excellent questions.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Lux, sit! [PINNED DOWN]

Postby peter365 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:03 am

Very clever
peter365

Postby Grip » Mon May 08, 2017 2:40 pm

Nice!
Grip

Postby Hobbsicle » Wed May 10, 2017 3:49 pm

I like this one. If you take it further, then the pressure and weight added to him adds further weight to the doll, and so forth, until he falls through the center of the earth. It works just like that, I've tried it!
Hobbsicle

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles