[☠] Crypt-o-currency?

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[☠] Crypt-o-currency?

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:55 pm

Hello again, my laudable lateral lads and lasses among the living. I've been resting very much in peace, but such a non-existence is a little bit devoid of joie de mourir. The boredom is rather starting to get to me; in fact, I've become a bit of a casket case. The devil on my shoulderblade has started coffin politely and suggesting I pay a visit to this forum. So, on that note...

A memory of my former life came back to me this morning, and I could recognise a lateral element therein. A young lady would regularly put some of her money in a glass of water. Very strange. But I know why she did so. Why did she?
Last edited by Literally a Skeleton on Sun May 07, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Literally a Skeleton

Re: [☠] Crypt-o-currency?

Postby GalFisk » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:17 am

Money: coins? Bills? Would more than one be in the glass at a time? Was there anything besides money and water in the glass? Was she cleaning the money? Corroding it? Making a battery? Doing something to the water? Making a joke or pun? Did she use the water for something else afterwards? Did she put the money there so it would be out of reach for someone? So it could not be taken without leaving a sign that it had been? Was the glass full to the brim? Did she do this for fun? Profit? Is anyone else relevant?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:34 pm

Pleasure to see them dry bones walking around again...

Was she committing a crime?
Was she trying to hide the money? Put it somewhere more difficult to access? Is sleepwalking somehow involved?
Did she freeze the water?
Balin

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:29 pm

GalFisk

Money: coins? yes Bills? no Would more than one be in the glass at a time? no Was there anything besides money and water in the glass? no Was she cleaning the money? No; no laundering, literally or figuratively, was taking place Corroding it? no Making a battery? no Doing something to the water? no Making a joke or pun? no Did she use the water for something else afterwards? no Did she put the money there so it would be out of reach for someone? no So it could not be taken without leaving a sign that it had been? no Was the glass full to the brim? yes, or close to Did she do this for fun? no Profit? no Is anyone else relevant? not directly

Balin

Pleasure to see them dry bones walking around again... I'm a dry soul with a dry wit. But don't feed me a dry martini on a dry carpet.

Was she committing a crime? no
Was she trying to hide the money? no Put it somewhere more difficult to access? no Is sleepwalking somehow involved? not in this puzzle
Did she freeze the water? yes; very astute question
Literally a Skeleton

Postby Acridian9 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:15 pm

Did she freeze the water after putting the coin in? before? relevant?
Relevant that water volume incresaes when freezed?
Acridian9

Postby GalFisk » Mon May 01, 2017 8:14 pm

Does the ice relevantly melt? Is the ice removed from the glass while still frozen? Is it frozen using a freezer? Winter?
GalFisk

Postby Zanreo » Tue May 02, 2017 3:11 am

Coin value relevant? Type of currency? Was she going to keep the money herself?
Zanreo

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Wed May 03, 2017 10:02 pm

Acridian9

Did she freeze the water after putting the coin in? yes before? no relevant? I believe either approach would work
Relevant that water volume incresaes when freezed? no

GalFisk

Does the ice relevantly melt? It relevantly MIGHT Is the ice removed from the glass while still frozen? no Is it frozen using a freezer? yes Winter? no

Zanreo

Coin value relevant? no Type of currency? no Was she going to keep the money herself? yes
Literally a Skeleton

Postby Acridian9 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:22 pm

It "might" melt: in the sense that the glass might be removed from the freezer where it was frozen? if so, by her? By someone else?
Does the glass relevantly break? So that she has to repeat the process with a new glass?
Acridian9

Postby LemonCurry » Thu May 04, 2017 6:04 am

Does she want to check whether the ice melts? Does she want to check whether the freezer is broken? If so, could she tell from the position of the coin? (Don't know if this works, haven't thought this through too much)
LemonCurry

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Thu May 04, 2017 10:49 pm

Acridian9

It "might" melt: in the sense that the glass might be removed from the freezer where it was frozen? yes, this would, like death, inevitably happen if so, by her? yes By someone else?
Does the glass relevantly break? no So that she has to repeat the process with a new glass? no

Does she want to check whether the ice melts? yes Does she want to check whether the freezer is broken? 'broken' isn't exactly right, although she is checking the extent of the freezer's nonfunctionalityIf so, could she tell from the position of the coin? yes (Don't know if this works, haven't thought this through too much)

I am impressed by your quick detective work. Care to put the final pieces together?
Literally a Skeleton

Postby Balin » Thu May 04, 2017 11:06 pm

Is she making sure the freezer is at freezing temperatures, and not just cold? So if the coin sinks in the glass, it's not cold enough and the freezer needs fixing/temp-adjusting/replacing?
Balin

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Thu May 04, 2017 11:19 pm

Is she making sure the freezer is at freezing temperatures, and not just cold? So if the coin sinks in the glass, it's not cold enough and the freezer needs fixing/temp-adjusting/replacing? No. I would argue that we're getting cooler, which seems appropriate. Sorry if that was a little deadpan.
Literally a Skeleton

Postby Acridian9 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:44 am

Is che checking if the food defrosted and freezed again? What I imagine is the freezer stopped working for a few hours then resumed working, so if the coin was put on top of the ice it will now be at the bottom of the gass.
Acridian9

Postby GalFisk » Sat May 06, 2017 6:26 am

Is she checking the freezer itself? The power supply? Does she suspect that someone turns it off? Does she use the coin to indicate whether stuff in the freezer is safe to use? Is there food in the freezer? Is it her freezer? Does it reside in a home? Business?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Sat May 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Could this work with just one coin? Or are multiple coins needed? Do coins work better than, say, I don't know, coffin nails? Or coin-shaped bits of wood?
irishelk

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Sun May 07, 2017 11:24 pm

Acridian

Is che checking if the food defrosted and freezed again? This is the principle; although it is not food in this particular case, the logic would be no less applicable thereto. Well, at least I believe so. Food remains an academic matter to me now. What I imagine is the freezer stopped working for a few hours then resumed working, so if the coin was put on top of the ice it will now be at the bottom of the gass. Your imagination has made a very astute observation.

GalFisk

Is she checking the freezer itself? yes The power supply? and yes Does she suspect that someone turns it off? no Does she use the coin to indicate whether stuff in the freezer is safe to use? yes Is there food in the freezer? no (in this case) Is it her freezer? yope Does it reside in a home? no Business? yes

(I will grant that these answers were given with her specific situation in mind; there is nothing to suggest that the same underlying logic could not apply to food in a domestic freezer).

IrishElk

Could this work with just one coin? yes Or are multiple coins needed? no Do coins work better than, say, I don't know, coffin nails? I expect both literal (like me) and figurative coffin nails would suffice; the former better than the latter Or coin-shaped bits of wood? these would also work.

I think you have determined the material facts.

********** SPOILER **********

She worked in a medical laboratory, and this was an aid to checking the severity of a power cut. A power cut might compromise the items stored in the freezer, particularly if they had completely defrosted. If the ice in the glass had thawed and re-frozen, the position of the coin within the ice would give an indication of how long or how severe the outage was. If the coin appeared at the bottom, for instance, a complete thaw was liable to have happened, and the effects of the outage would be quite deleterious.

Of course, this useful rule of first metacarpal would also help a homeowner in deciding whether or not to toss out the meat in the freezer.

Thank you all for playing. It appears the lifespan of this puzzle was much shorter than that of my first effort. Never mind. Young, old, we all wind up in the same place in the end. Unless you're a certain species of Jellyfish. But I do have difficulty in relating to invertebrates.
Literally a Skeleton

Re: [☠] Crypt-o-currency? [☠]

Postby Balin » Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 am

There must be some brainpower left in that skull of yours, because this was a good one.
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles