[IrishElk] Monster

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[IrishElk] Monster

Postby irishelk » Sat May 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Amy's business card was proof of Diana's outrageously immoral behavior.
Last edited by irishelk on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk] Monster

Postby GalFisk » Sat May 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Amy: h? A? F? Diana: h? A? F? Amy's card: a card for her business? A card given to her? Is a specific card the proof? Any of her business cards? Immoral behaviour: financial? Criminal? Romantic? Sexual? Interpersonal? Ten commandments relevant? Seven deadly sins? Amy's business relevant? Diana's profession? Does one of them inhabit a different universe from the other? Such as Diana being a character in Amy's fiction? Is Amy affected by Diana's behaviour? If so: positively? Negatively? Both? Neither?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Sun May 07, 2017 12:02 pm

GalFisk

Amy: h? A? F? Diana: h? A? F? Yes to all.
Amy's card: a card for her business? This. A card given to her? Is a specific card the proof? Yes. Any of her business cards? No.
Immoral behaviour: financial? Yes. Criminal? I believe a misdemeanor. Romantic? Sexual? No. Interpersonal? Yes.
Ten commandments relevant? No. Seven deadly sins? Not directly, but there's certainly some avarice going on.
Amy's business relevant? Yes. Diana's profession? No. Does one of them inhabit a different universe from the other? Such as Diana being a character in Amy's fiction? No, but great WAG! Is Amy affected by Diana's behaviour? Yes. If so: positively? This. Negatively? Both? Neither?
irishelk

Postby Balin » Mon May 08, 2017 11:05 am

Is the card an ordinary business card? Is there anything unique or special about it?
Is Diana a customer of Amy's business?
Is Amy relevantly in possession of the business card? Is Diana?
Fingerprints relevant?
Balin

Postby irishelk » Mon May 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Balin

Is the card an ordinary business card? Yes. Is there anything unique or special about it? Only that it is specific to Amy and her job.
Is Diana a customer of Amy's business? No.
Is Amy relevantly in possession of the business card? She is relevantly not. Is Diana? Also not.
Fingerprints relevant? No.
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Tue May 09, 2017 7:14 am

Bribery relevant? Does Diana work for Amy? Intentionally do things to benefit Amy? Create problems for Amy to fix? Is the card in possession of another person?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Tue May 09, 2017 10:47 am

GalFisk

Bribery relevant? No. Does Diana work for Amy? No. Intentionally do things to benefit Amy? Yes. Create problems for Amy to fix? No. Is the card in possession of another person? YES.
irishelk

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun May 14, 2017 9:57 pm

Is Amy a lawyer? The sort who chases ambulances? Does she witness Diana's immorality? Does she give the card to someone else? Perhaps with something extra scribbled on it? Will she get extra business from the consequences of Diana's immorality?
JenBurdoo

Postby irishelk » Mon May 15, 2017 1:31 pm

JenBurdoo

Is Amy a lawyer? No, but... The sort who chases ambulances? There is something similar to this going on.
Does she witness Diana's immorality? No. Does she give the card to someone else? Does Amy? No. Perhaps with something extra scribbled on it? No. Will she get extra business from the consequences of Diana's immorality? Yes.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Wed May 17, 2017 7:14 am

Is Amy aware of Diana? Does Diana at one point possess Amy's business card, and then relevantly give it to someone else? Does Diana receive kickbacks from Amy? Does Diana profit financially from this set-up? Before Amy does? Simultaneously? After?

The third person: H?A?F? Is their profession relevant?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Thu May 18, 2017 11:13 pm

trebor

Is Amy aware of Diana? Yes, but largely irr. Does Diana at one point possess Amy's business card, and then relevantly give it to someone else? Correct.Does Diana receive kickbacks from Amy? No.
Does Diana profit financially from this set-up? Before Amy does? Simultaneously? After? No to rest.

The third person: H?A?F? Yes. Is their profession relevant? No, unless we use a very loose definition of "profession."
irishelk

Postby Grip » Thu May 18, 2017 11:17 pm

Is embezzlement involved? forgery?
Grip

Postby irishelk » Thu May 18, 2017 11:19 pm

Grip

Is embezzlement involved? forgery? No to both.
irishelk

Postby Balin » Fri May 19, 2017 10:51 am

Does Amy work in government? For the state?
Does Amy own the profession? Is she a high-ranking employee?

As a tangent, what is the movie that supplied this title? I suddenly realized I may have seen it as a kid.
Balin

Postby irishelk » Fri May 19, 2017 10:22 pm

Balin

Does Amy work in government? No. For the state? No.
Does Amy own the profession? Is she a high-ranking employee? She's likely self-employed, but irr.

As a tangent, what is the movie that supplied this title? I suddenly realized I may have seen it as a kid. There are several with that name, mostly horror ones I'm sure. =) I was invoking the 2003 Charlize Theron movie.
irishelk

Postby Balin » Sat May 20, 2017 12:41 am

I had tried looking it up as a kid but could never find it again. A good number of years later, I've now found the one I was thinking of - the 1999 TV movie. It's on YouTube.

For the third person: are her hobbies relevant?
Balin

Postby trebor » Sat May 20, 2017 8:39 am

Since the 2003 movie has been invoked, is prostitution relevant? Rape? Self-defence? Execution? Wrongful conviction? Murder? Is any of Theron's other work more relevant? Or Ricci's?

Does Amy work in the legal field, even if she's not a lawyer? Is she present in courtrooms often? Is it relevant that all three people we've so far uncovered as being relevant to the puzzle are female? Are there more relevant people? If yes, H?A?F? Of the three we've identified, can we name the third Portia? (My mind's in a bit of an Arrested Development mode, with the mention of Theron and the announcement of a fifth season.) Is Portia's main source of income the thing that would "very loosely" be described as a profession? Is she on welfare? Worker's comp? Is she a criminal? If not strictly criminal, is her income unethical? Is she the victim of something, the result being that she contacts Amy?

Is the main reason for Diana's behaviour that she thinks she will benefit financially from it, even if she actually doesn't, as we've established? Does she specifically wish harm on Portia? Does she wish betterment upon Amy? Does she have a romantic/sexual interest in Amy? Does Diana feel that she owes Amy a favour for some reason? Has Portia been involved in any wrongdoing to either Diana or Amy?

Is there any physical evidence on the business card that incriminates Diana? Does the business card prove that Diana and Portia had been in contact when they shouldn't have? Does the card prove that Diana had been somewhere she shouldn't have been? Does it prove Diana was guilty of permitting a conflict of interest?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Sun May 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Balin

I had tried looking it up as a kid but could never find it again. A good number of years later, I've now found the one I was thinking of - the 1999 TV movie. It's on YouTube. Nice! When I was checking for the title of the puzzle, I saw that one listed on Wikipedia, but it doesn't have its own page. Definitely bookmarked to watch later.

For the third person: are her hobbies relevant? I don't know if 'hobbies' is the word--certainly something she does on her own time...

trebor

Since the 2003 movie has been invoked, is prostitution relevant? Rape? Self-defence? Execution? Wrongful conviction? Murder? Yes to this. Only indirectly for all the others. Is any of Theron's other work more relevant? Or Ricci's? No.

Does Amy work in the legal field, even if she's not a lawyer? No. Is she present in courtrooms often? Not relevantly. Is it relevant that all three people we've so far uncovered as being relevant to the puzzle are female? Not really--it's a true story and just happened to work out that way =). Are there more relevant people? No. If yes, H?A?F?

Of the three we've identified, can we name the third Portia? (My mind's in a bit of an Arrested Development mode, with the mention of Theron and the announcement of a fifth season.) Absolutely. I love the "Monster" joke in Theron's episodes. Is Portia's main source of income the thing that would "very loosely" be described as a profession? I believe it was. Is she on welfare? No. Worker's comp? No. Is she a criminal? YES. If not strictly criminal, is her income unethical? Is she the victim of something, the result being that she contacts Amy? Not a "victim," but somewhat along these lines.

Is the main reason for Diana's behaviour that she thinks she will benefit financially from it, even if she actually doesn't, as we've established? No. Does she specifically wish harm on Portia? No. Does she wish betterment upon Amy? Yes. Does she have a romantic/sexual interest in Amy? No. Does Diana feel that she owes Amy a favour for some reason? No. Has Portia been involved in any wrongdoing to either Diana or Amy? No.

Is there any physical evidence on the business card that incriminates Diana? No. Does the business card prove that Diana and Portia had been in contact when they shouldn't have? Yesish, great question. Does the card prove that Diana had been somewhere she shouldn't have been? No. Does it prove Diana was guilty of permitting a conflict of interest? Not exactly, but OTRT.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Tue May 23, 2017 7:42 am

Trying to get at the "yesish" to Diana and Portia being in contact: Did Diana actually give the business card to Portia in person? If not, however she transferred the card, was it her intent that Portia be the one to receive it? (As opposed to, say, when you leave a business card on a table hoping that anyone will pick it up and make use of it.) Has Portia ever relevantly been incarcerated? Is she incarcerated now? Is she in danger of being incarcerated? Same questions for Diana. Is there a legal reason that Diana and Portia specifically shouldn't have been able to be in contact with each other?

Is the reason for Diana's having had the card in the first place relevant? Is it relevant why Diana wishes Amy's betterment? Does Diana double-cross anyone in the events of this puzzle? Is the nature of the relationship between Diana and Portia relevant?

Has one of the three women committed murder? If so, Amy? Portia? Diana? Has Portia's criminal activity profited her financially? Relevant? Is Portia an assassin?

Does Amy provide a service? One that Portia could use? Is Amy involved in cosmetic surgery? Does her business rely on capitalizing on people's insecurities? Fears? Is line of work one that most people would think of derisively? Does Amy sell a product? One that Portia could use? Is she a real estate agent?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Tue May 23, 2017 10:30 pm

trebor

Trying to get at the "yesish" to Diana and Portia being in contact: Did Diana actually give the business card to Portia in person? Yes. If not, however she transferred the card, was it her intent that Portia be the one to receive it? (As opposed to, say, when you leave a business card on a table hoping that anyone will pick it up and make use of it.)
Has Portia ever relevantly been incarcerated? Not previous to the puzzle, but... Is she incarcerated now? At one point, yes. Is she in danger of being incarcerated? At one point, yes. Same questions for Diana. No, Diana is never in danger of arrest. Is there a legal reason that Diana and Portia specifically shouldn't have been able to be in contact with each other? Not exactly, but the "ish" does relate to whether they "should" be communicating.

Is the reason for Diana's having had the card in the first place relevant? Not really. Is it relevant why Diana wishes Amy's betterment? Not really. Does Diana double-cross anyone in the events of this puzzle? No. Is the nature of the relationship between Diana and Portia relevant? There is no relevant relationship.

Has one of the three women committed murder? Yes. If so, Amy? Portia? Yes! Diana? Not Amy or Diana.
Has Portia's criminal activity profited her financially? Relevant? Yes, but irr. Is Portia an assassin? No.

Does Amy provide a service? Yes. One that Portia could use? Yes! Is Amy involved in cosmetic surgery? No.
Does her business rely on capitalizing on people's insecurities? Fears? Possibly, but not relevantly. Is line of work one that most people would think of derisively? I think many would, I don't know about 'most.'
Does Amy sell a product? One that Portia could use? Is she a real estate agent? No to rest.
irishelk

Postby Balin » Wed May 24, 2017 2:24 am

Is Amy a hitman? (Well, hitwoman.) And Portia wants to hire her?
Does Portia want to hire Amy to commit a murder? To cover up a murder? To clean a crime scene?
Balin

Postby irishelk » Thu May 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Balin

Is Amy a hitman? No. (Well, hitwoman.) And Portia wants to hire her? But yes to this.
Does Portia want to hire Amy to commit a murder? To cover up a murder? To clean a crime scene? No to rest.
irishelk

Postby Balin » Sat May 27, 2017 10:45 pm

Does Portia want to hire Amy to give her an alibi?
Is Amy's work loud? Does she work outdoors? Indoors? In a vehicle?
Balin

Postby irishelk » Sun May 28, 2017 12:48 pm

Balin

Does Portia want to hire Amy to give her an alibi? No.
Is Amy's work loud? Not particularly.
Does she work outdoors? Indoors? In a vehicle? Largely indoors, some travel could be involved.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Mon May 29, 2017 8:44 am

At the beginning of this puzzle is Portia in prison? Does she go to prison during the puzzle? By the end of the puzzle, has Amy been in prison and been freed? If so, has she gone back a second time? Did Portia commit the murder while she was in prison? Are any other crimes relevant?

I know you said there aren't any more relevant people, but is it relevant who Portia murdered? Do all three women survive the puzzle? If Portia were to hire Amy, would it be to help herself not go to prison? Does Amy's work involve fake IDs? Witness protection? Does she work mostly out of her home? In clients' homes? In a building? The same building most days? (I'm trying to avoid invoking the LTPF list of professions.) Does she work in the arts? Medicine/health care? Food/catering? Is hers a white collar job? Does it require a significant amount of post-secondary education? Are Amy's services expensive? Does Portia end up hiring Amy? If so, does Amy do the job she was hired to do?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Mon May 29, 2017 1:02 pm

trebor

At the beginning of this puzzle is Portia in prison? No, during the first relevant action she is not. Does she go to prison during the puzzle? Yes. By the end of the puzzle, has Amy been in prison and been freed? No and no. If so, has she gone back a second time? Did Portia commit the murder while she was in prison? No. Are any other crimes relevant? No.

I know you said there aren't any more relevant people, but is it relevant who Portia murdered? No. Do all three women survive the puzzle? Yes. If Portia were to hire Amy, would it be to help herself not go to prison? No.
Does Amy's work involve fake IDs? Witness protection? No to both. Does she work mostly out of her home? In clients' homes? In a building? The same building most days? (I'm trying to avoid invoking the LTPF list of professions.) I appreciate it, unfortunately the job is really variable so I'm not sure. I'd guess dividing time between client meetings and an office.
Does she work in the arts? Indirectly. Medicine/health care? Food/catering? No to rest. Is hers a white collar job? Yes. Does it require a significant amount of post-secondary education? Not sure, I don't think so. Are Amy's services expensive? Yes. Does Portia end up hiring Amy? Yes. If so, does Amy do the job she was hired to do? Yes, not very relevant.

Actually a profession list is fine in this case, if you want to. It won't give away the solution. =)
irishelk

Postby trebor » Wed May 31, 2017 4:59 am

Sorry, in my above post I meant to ask if Portia has been imprisoned and freed by the end of the puzzle. Has she?

Amy's profession:

Artistic / musical / writer
Banking / financial / real estate
Clerical / Administrative
Computer related / Hardware
Construction / Craftsman
Criminal / Questionable Repute
Education / Academic Research
Entertainment / Media
Environmental / Outdoors / Nature
Executive / Management
Hospitality / Travel
Legal Services
Manufacturing / Distributions
Medical / Health Services
Politics / Government / Military
Sales / Marketing
Technical / Science / Engineering
Teaching / Child care
Transportation
Food Service
Other

Does Portia obtain the card while she is in prison? Before?

"Relevant action", you say. Is this relevant action committing the murder? Contacting Diana? Obtaining the card? Something else? Does any one of the women know something about one of the other two women that they don't know she knows?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Wed May 31, 2017 9:07 pm

trebor

Sorry, in my above post I meant to ask if Portia has been imprisoned and freed by the end of the puzzle. Has she? Ohh I see. Imprisoned yes, freed no.

Amy's profession:

Artistic / musical / writer
Banking / financial / real estate
Clerical / Administrative
Computer related / Hardware
Construction / Craftsman
Criminal / Questionable Repute
Education / Academic Research
Entertainment / Media This, media especially.
Environmental / Outdoors / Nature
Executive / Management
Hospitality / Travel
Legal Services
Manufacturing / Distributions
Medical / Health Services
Politics / Government / Military
Sales / Marketing Includes some of this.
Technical / Science / Engineering
Teaching / Child care
Transportation
Food Service
Other

Does Portia obtain the card while she is in prison? No. Before? Yes.

"Relevant action", you say. Is this relevant action committing the murder? No, this is somewhat relevant but happens before the puzzle starts. Contacting Diana? Yesish. Obtaining the card? Yes. Something else? Does any one of the women know something about one of the other two women that they don't know she knows? What a great LTPF question. =). No, they're all in the know.
irishelk

Postby trebor » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:09 am

Does Diana wish betterment upon Amy for her (Diana's) personal gain? I know Diana's profession isn't relevant, but I'm thinking there could be scenarios where there's a spillover from the improvement of Diana's good fortune. Is she legitimately acting altruistically towards Amy, even if her behaviour is unethical?

Is Amy an on-air personality? If so, for TV? Radio? Is she a journalist? Is Portia trying to attract media attention? Is she trying to curry favour with the public? Does Amy work in PR? Is she an image consultant? Is Diana's behaviour immoral in the sense that she is potentially enabling Portia or Diana to do something that might cause distress to someone else? A publisher green-lighting OJ Simpson's "If I Did It" comes to mind.

Is it relevant how the murder is discovered? The length of time between Portia getting the card from Diana and her incarceration? Does Portia do anything else relevant after getting the card and contacting Diana? Does Diana do anything else relevant? Does Amy?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:34 pm

trebor

Does Diana wish betterment upon Amy Yes. for her (Diana's) personal gain? Possibly, irrel. I know Diana's profession isn't relevant, but I'm thinking there could be scenarios where there's a spillover from the improvement of Diana's good fortune. Is she legitimately acting altruistically towards Amy, even if her behaviour is unethical? I'll give you this because it makes no difference to the story: Diana is Amy's mom. Whether helping your child is true altruism or not, I leave to the evolutionary psychologists. =)

Is Amy an on-air personality? No. If so, for TV? Radio? Is she a journalist? No, but close. Is Portia trying to attract media attention? Yes! Is she trying to curry favour with the public? Possibly. Does Amy work in PR? Yes! Is she an image consultant? Yes, or close enough. Is Diana's behaviour immoral in the sense that she is potentially enabling Portia or Diana to do something that might cause distress to someone else? Enabling Portia, yes.

A publisher green-lighting OJ Simpson's "If I Did It" comes to mind. Irr. for this puzzle, but interesting you should say that--my book club just read If I Did It! Did you know its publication was killed because of fears that OJ would make a profit, and it was actually Ron Goldman's family who finally published it?

Is it relevant how the murder is discovered? No, tiny ish. The length of time between Portia getting the card from Diana and her incarceration? Yes--not the length of time, but this time period is very relevant. Does Portia do anything else relevant after getting the card and contacting Diana? No. Does Diana do anything else relevant? Yesish. Does Amy? No.
irishelk

Postby hominid » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:17 am

So, is Diana helping Portia get away with murder? Is she giving Portia Amy's business card in order to both help Amy gain money and help Portia get media attention? Do any of the characters tell the police about the murder? Do the police figure it out on their own?
hominid

Postby irishelk » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:24 pm

hominid

So, is Diana helping Portia get away with murder? In effect, yes. Is she giving Portia Amy's business card in order to both help Amy gain money and help Portia get media attention? Both of these occur--her motives largely irr. Do any of the characters tell the police about the murder? No. Do the police figure it out on their own? Yes, possibly a slight FA lurking but you're OTRT.
irishelk

Postby hominid » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:40 pm

Is Diana attempting to help Portia convince the public that she didn't murder anyone? That the murder is justified? Do we need to know more about Amy's profession than "PR/image consultant"?
hominid

Postby irishelk » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:16 pm

hominid

Is Diana attempting to help Portia convince the public that she didn't murder anyone? No. That the murder is justified? No. Do we need to know more about Amy's profession than "PR/image consultant"? No. In reality I think she was a publicist.
irishelk

Postby hominid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Is Diana trying to prevent Portia from going to prison? Help her get out of prison? Give her a lighter sentence? Did Diana help her commit the murder?
hominid

Postby irishelk » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:22 pm

hominid

Is Diana trying to prevent Portia from going to prison? Help her get out of prison? Give her a lighter sentence? No, nothing more has to be discovered about Diana's motives.
Did Diana help her commit the murder? No.
irishelk

Postby hominid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:34 pm

So, did Diana give the business card to Portia before the murder happened? After the murder happened, but before she went to prison? While she was in prison?

Could we get a recap?
hominid

Postby irishelk » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:08 pm

hominid

So, did Diana give the business card to Portia before the murder happened? After the murder happened, but before she went to prison? This. While she was in prison?

Could we get a recap? An excellent suggestion.

***************************RECAP

Portia committed murder. Then, Diana gave Amy's business card to Portia so that Portia will hire her. Then, Portia went to prison.

Amy is a publicist/PR person and Diana is her mom. We can assume Diana's motivation was to benefit Amy, and not to give any relevant benefit to Portia. Something is relevant about the fact that Portia and Diana were in contact, although the two of them have no other relationship.

The pieces are essentially there. What's left is basically: what was Diana's outrageously immoral behavior (that the card is proof of)?
irishelk

Postby trebor » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:14 am

Ah, when I was asking a while ago about whether the relationship between Diana and Amy was relevant, I was, to my mind, including familial/friendly/professional possibilities along with romantic ones. Diana's behaviour is starting to make more sense now. And no, I didn't know that about the Goldman family publishing the book. Interesting!

Has Diana been selected to be a juror in this trial? Has Amy? Is being sequestered relevant? Has Diana some involvement in the case/trial that has been compromised by her having given Portia the card?
trebor

Postby hominid » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:23 am

Thanks for the recap! Turns out I basically knew everything that's been uncovered so far, but it's nice to have it all laid out.

Did Diana give the card to Portia before Portia was caught? After? Did Diana witness the murder? Is it relevant how she found out about the murder? Did Diana set out to meet Portia for the purpose of giving her Amy's business card?
hominid

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:48 am

Did Diana want to help Portia after the crime? Blackmail Portia? Obstruct justice? Help Portia with the crime?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:17 pm

trebor » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:14 am
Ah, when I was asking a while ago about whether the relationship between Diana and Amy was relevant, I was, to my mind, including familial/friendly/professional possibilities along with romantic ones. As was I--the fact that they are mother and daughter is irrelevant to the solution. Diana's behaviour is starting to make more sense now. And no, I didn't know that about the Goldman family publishing the book. Interesting!

Has Diana been selected to be a juror in this trial? Has Amy? Is being sequestered relevant? Has Diana some involvement in the case/trial that has been compromised by her having given Portia the card? No to all.

hominid

Thanks for the recap! Turns out I basically knew everything that's been uncovered so far, but it's nice to have it all laid out. Any time. =)

Did Diana give the card to Portia before Portia was caught? Yes. After? No. Did Diana witness the murder? No. Is it relevant how she found out about the murder? Not HOW, but... Did Diana set out to meet Portia for the purpose of giving her Amy's business card? No.

GalFisk

Did Diana want to help Portia after the crime? Yesish--she wanted Portia to be able to hire Amy after the crime. Blackmail Portia? Obstruct justice? This is relevant! Help Portia with the crime? No to rest.
irishelk

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:28 pm

Obstruct justice: withhold, alter or destroy evidence? Not report a crime? Delay reporting a crime? Hinder an investigation? Relevant when Diana found out about the murder? If so: when it happened? Before anyone else discovered it? Before it was reported to law enforcement? When it was reported? After reporting, but before arrival of investigators? During investigation? Before Portia became a suspect? After she became a suspect, but before she knew she was? Was she wanted? Being chased/searched for?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:59 pm

GalFisk

Obstruct justice: withhold, alter or destroy evidence? Withhold in a sense. Not report a crime? Not exactly, but you're very very close. Delay reporting a crime? Hinder an investigation? Relevant when Diana found out about the murder? In sequence, yes. If so: when it happened? Before anyone else discovered it? Before it was reported to law enforcement? When it was reported? After reporting, but before arrival of investigators? During investigation? Before Portia became a suspect? After she became a suspect, but before she knew she was? Possibly, irrel. whether Portia knew she was wanted. Was she wanted? Yes: this was the point Diana found out about the murder. Being chased/searched for? Yes.
irishelk

Postby hominid » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:52 pm

So, Portia knew that the police were searching for Portia because she murdered someone, and Diana found her, and instead of turning her in, she gave her Amy's business card?
hominid

Postby irishelk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:02 pm

hominid

So, Portia knew that the police were searching for Portia because she murdered someone, and Diana found her, and instead of turning her in, she gave her Amy's business card? Exactly!
Good solve.

******************SPOILER

This is in fact based on Aileen Wuornos.

One of the many fascinating aspects of this serial killer's story is that within two weeks of her arrest, she had already sold her life rights, and several movies and specials were in the works. How? Because she had the business card of a publicist in her pocket at the moment of her arrest.

The publicist's mom had in fact recognized Aileen in the grocery store, because she was already on Wanted posters all over town. Instead of reporting the sighting of this dangerous criminal who had killed a dozen men and could do so again at any minute..."Diana" decided to put in a good word for her daughter's services.
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk] Monster {CAPTURED}

Postby hominid » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:19 pm

Great puzzle, and wow, that's a disturbing story.
hominid

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles