[Balin] Not as I do

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Not as I do

Postby Balin » Sun May 07, 2017 11:51 am

Teresa's disobedience strengthened Alan's belief. How?
Balin

Re: [Balin] Not as I do

Postby Westing1992 » Sun May 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Teresa: HAF? Alan: HAM?
Did Teresa disobey Alan? A boss? The law? Another authority figure?
Did Teresa and Alan have to obey the same authority? Are they friends? Family? Coworkers?
Was Alan's belief religious? A opinion? A hypothesis about something?
Westing1992

Postby Balin » Mon May 08, 2017 11:10 am

Teresa: HAF? H/T/F Alan: HAM? H/C/M
Did Teresa disobey Alan? No A boss? No The law? No Another authority figure? Yes
Did Teresa and Alan have to obey the same authority? Yes Are they friends? Family? This Coworkers?
Was Alan's belief religious? A opinion? A hypothesis about something? None of these
Balin

Postby Westing1992 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:16 pm

So Teresa and Alan are siblings? Is the authority figure their parents?
Was Teresa punished for her disobedience? By being grounded? Having certain privileges removed?
Was Alan's belief in Santa? The Easter Bunny? The Tooth Fairy? Monsters under the bed? An imaginary friend?
Westing1992

Postby Balin » Mon May 08, 2017 10:37 pm

So Teresa and Alan are siblings? Yes Is the authority figure their parents? Yes
Was Teresa punished for her disobedience? Irrel, assume No By being grounded? Having certain privileges removed?
Was Alan's belief in Santa? The Easter Bunny? This, very good The Tooth Fairy? Monsters under the bed? An imaginary friend?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Mon May 08, 2017 11:10 pm

Did Teresa commit some relevant act of disobedience? Did it relate to a visit from the Easter bunny, perhaps involving some element of staying up late, sneaking into Alan's room, tampering with Easter eggs etc.?
WiZ

Postby Balin » Mon May 08, 2017 11:28 pm

Did Teresa commit some relevant act of disobedience? Yes Did it relate to a visit from the Easter bunny, perhaps involving some element of staying up late, sneaking into Alan's room, tampering with Easter eggs etc.? No, but I like the idea
Balin

Postby hominid » Tue May 09, 2017 2:22 am

Was Teresa's disobedience related to Easter? Did it occur on Easter? Before Easter? After Easter? At a different time of year altogether? Did it involve rabbits?
hominid

Postby Balin » Wed May 10, 2017 1:19 am

Was Teresa's disobedience related to Easter? No
Did it occur on Easter? Before Easter? The day before Easter After Easter? At a different time of year altogether?
Did it involve rabbits? No
Balin

Postby hominid » Wed May 10, 2017 3:03 am

Did Teresa stay up later than she was supposed to?

Did Alan see/hear Teresa disobeying their parents, or did he find out about it after the fact?
hominid

Postby GalFisk » Wed May 10, 2017 6:48 am

Did Teresa believe in the easter bunny? Did Alan doubt its existence? Did he think Teresa doubted it? Did he think her disobedience was related to the easter bunny? Is anything bunny-related seen, heard or said during the puzzle? Is Alan also relevantly disobedient? Teresa's motive for the disobedience relevant?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Wed May 10, 2017 1:02 pm

Did Teresa stay up later than she was supposed to? Yes, but there's more to it than that

Did Alan see/hear Teresa disobeying their parents No or did he find out about it after the fact? No - assume that no one found out

Did Teresa believe in the easter bunny? No Did Alan doubt its existence? Somewhat - assume a classmate had told him earlier in the week that the Easter Bunny wasn't real Did he think Teresa doubted it? Irrel Did he think her disobedience was related to the easter bunny? See above Is anything bunny-related seen, heard or said during the puzzle? Yes, seen Is Alan also relevantly disobedient? No Teresa's motive for the disobedience relevant? Yes
Balin

Postby Zanreo » Wed May 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Something bunny-related seen: A picture? Drawing? An actual rabbit?
Zanreo

Postby GalFisk » Wed May 10, 2017 2:13 pm

Does she stay up late in order to: see something? Hear something? Do something? Be somewhere? Hide something? Does she stay up late in her room? Do the siblings share a room? Relevant? Does Alan see a bunny-related thing? Is his faith strengthened after the disobedience? During? Before?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Wed May 10, 2017 11:21 pm

Something bunny-related seen: A picture? Drawing? An actual rabbit? This

Does she stay up late in order to: see something? Hear something? Do something? This Be somewhere? And this Hide something?
Does she stay up late in her room? For part of the night
Do the siblings share a room? No Relevant? Somewhat
Does Alan see a bunny-related thing? Yes, see above
Is his faith strengthened after the disobedience? This During? Before?
Balin

Postby hominid » Sun May 14, 2017 5:09 pm

The actual rabbit: a wild rabbit? A pet rabbit? Their pet rabbit? Did Teresa release the rabbit? Was she thinking about the Easter Bunny? Was she trying to strengthen Alan's belief in the Easter Bunny?
hominid

Postby Balin » Sun May 14, 2017 9:01 pm

The actual rabbit: a wild rabbit? This A pet rabbit? Their pet rabbit?
Did Teresa release the rabbit? Was she thinking about the Easter Bunny? Was she trying to strengthen Alan's belief in the Easter Bunny? No to all
Balin

Postby Balin » Fri May 19, 2017 10:57 am

HINT: There is another person (H/T/M, feel free to name him) directly involved.
Balin

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri May 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Does Teresa go out with this Zack guy? Does she wait for him in her room? Does he relevantly signal her in some way? Are either Teresa or Zack directly involved with the rabbit?
Hobbsicle

Postby Balin » Sat May 27, 2017 10:49 pm

Does Teresa go out with this Zack guy? Does she wait for him in her room? Does he relevantly signal her in some way? Yes to all! (And good name choice.)

Are either Teresa or Zack directly involved with the rabbit? Not directly, no
Balin

Postby hominid » Tue May 30, 2017 7:16 pm

Did Alan see Teresa? Zack? The rabbit? Did he know who Zack was? Did he know that Teresa was going out with Zack? Did Zack see the rabbit? Did Zack see Alan? Did Teresa see the rabbit? Did Teresa see the rabbit? Did Zack arrive by car? On foot? Is the exact age of the characters relevant?

Was Alan in his room? Did he relevantly look out the window?
hominid

Postby Balin » Wed May 31, 2017 1:34 am

Did Alan see Teresa? When? Zack? No The rabbit? Yes
Did he know who Zack was? Irrel, assume No Did he know that Teresa was going out with Zack? Irrel, assume No
Did Zack see the rabbit? No Did Zack see Alan? No Did Teresa see the rabbit? Yes, but not as relevant
Did Zack arrive by car? On foot? Assume this
Is the exact age of the characters relevant? Assume Teresa and Zack are around 17 while Alan is around 7.

Was Alan in his room? At some point over the course of the puzzle, Yes Did he relevantly look out the window? No
Balin

Postby hominid » Wed May 31, 2017 2:57 am

Did Alan see the rabbit before Zack arrived? After?

Did Alan see Teresa exit the house?

Did Alan hear Zack arriving, and think it was the Easter Bunny?
hominid

Postby Balin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:00 am

Did Alan see the rabbit before Zack arrived? After? This

Did Alan see Teresa exit the house? No

Did Alan hear Zack arriving, and think it was the Easter Bunny? No
Balin

Postby hominid » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:07 pm

Did Alan hear Zack arriving? Did he mistake some sound for the Easter Bunny?
hominid

Postby Balin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:06 am

Did Alan hear Zack arriving? No Did he mistake some sound for the Easter Bunny? No
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Did Alan see Teresa: in her room? Before seeing the rabbit? After? Did he see her outside? Did he see her coming home? Is the rabbit a wild rabbit? A pet? An escaped pet? Did he see the rabbit: outside? Inside a cage? Inside a house? Their house?
GalFisk

Postby hominid » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:11 pm

Was the rabbit inside the house? Was Alan ever anywhere other than his room on that night? Was he in Teresa's room? In another room? Outside? In another house? Another building? In a car? Did Alan think Teresa was waiting for the Easter Bunny?
hominid

Postby Balin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:05 am

Did Alan see Teresa: in her room? No Before seeing the rabbit? Yes After? Yes but less relevantly
Did he see her outside? Yes Did he see her coming home? No
Is the rabbit a wild rabbit? This A pet? An escaped pet?
Did he see the rabbit: outside? This Inside a cage? Inside a house? Their house?

Was the rabbit inside the house? No Was Alan ever anywhere other than his room on that night? No, possible FA Was he in Teresa's room? In another room? Outside? In another house? Another building? In a car? So No to all these
Did Alan think Teresa was waiting for the Easter Bunny? No
Balin

Postby hominid » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:04 pm

Did Alan see the rabbit on the day of Easter? In the morning? Afternoon? Evening?

Did Teresa leave some mark that Alan mistook for evidence of the Easter Bunny? Did Zack? Did Teresa do something relevant on Easter? Did Zack? Did Teresa communicate with Zack on Easter?
hominid

Postby Balin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:46 pm

Did Alan see the rabbit on the day of Easter? Yes In the morning? This Afternoon? Evening?

Did Teresa leave some mark that Alan mistook for evidence of the Easter Bunny? No Did Zack? Yes, SVV of "mark"
Did Teresa do something relevant on Easter? Did Zack? Did Teresa communicate with Zack on Easter? No to all
Balin

Postby hominid » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:53 pm

Did Zack leave something behind? Something typically associated with the Easter Bunny? Something associated with teenage boys?
hominid

Postby Balin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:25 pm

Did Zack leave something behind? Yope Something typically associated with the Easter Bunny? Yes Something associated with teenage boys? No
Balin

Postby hominid » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:17 am

Easter eggs relevant? Easter baskets? Candy? Religious elements of Easter? Jesus?

Did Zack move something in the house? Did Teresa?

Were Teresa and Zack doing anything consciously Easter-related?
hominid

Postby Balin » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Easter eggs relevant? Yes Easter baskets? No Candy? Yes Religious elements of Easter? No Jesus? No

Did Zack move something in the house? Did Teresa? Neither

Were Teresa and Zack doing anything consciously Easter-related? No
Balin

Postby hominid » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:50 pm

Were the Easter Eggs in Teresa and Alan's house prior to Zack's arrival? Were they in Zack's possession?

Did Zack leave the Easter Eggs outside?

Non-Easter eggs involved?
hominid

Postby Balin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:28 am

Were the Easter Eggs in Teresa and Alan's house prior to Zack's arrival? Not in the house, but... Were they in Zack's possession? No

Did Zack leave the Easter Eggs outside? No, but...

Non-Easter eggs involved? No
Balin

Postby hominid » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:06 am

Were the Easter eggs outside the house when Zack arrived? Did Zack bring the Easter eggs from outside into the house? Did Teresa? Did either of them steal the eggs? Eat the eggs? Destroy the eggs?

Did Zack mistake the eggs for something else? Did Teresa?
hominid

Postby Balin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:53 am

Were the Easter eggs outside the house when Zack arrived? Yes
Did Zack bring the Easter eggs from outside into the house? No Did Teresa? No
Did either of them steal the eggs? Eat the eggs? Destroy the eggs? No to all, and they're plastic eggs, not dyed ones

Did Zack mistake the eggs for something else? No Did Teresa? No
Balin

Postby hominid » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Did Zack and Teresa leave together? Spend time in the house together? Was either of them relevantly in Teresa's room? The kitchen? Dining room? Living room? Bathroom? Someone else's bedroom? Did Teresa go outside at night? Did Zack leave during the night?
hominid

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:07 pm

Did the parents put the eggs there? Did Zack and/or Teresa wake Alan? Relevant how the rabbit came to be there? Why? Did it find food there? Did Teresa make some relevant signal for Zack? Did Zack relevantly open a gate, door or other barrier?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Did Zack and Teresa leave together? Yes Spend time in the house together? No
Was either of them relevantly in Teresa's room? Yes, Teresa The kitchen? Dining room? Living room? Bathroom? Someone else's bedroom? No to rest
Did Teresa go outside at night? Yes Did Zack leave during the night? Leave where?

Did the parents put the eggs there? Yes Did Zack and/or Teresa wake Alan? No
Relevant how the rabbit came to be there? Why? Did it find food there? Yes to all!
Did Teresa make some relevant signal for Zack? No, but... Did Zack relevantly open a gate, door or other barrier? No
Balin

Postby hominid » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:38 pm

Did Zack leave food outside? Carrots? Other vegetables? Did Teresa leave this there?
hominid

Postby Balin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:27 am

Did Zack leave food outside? Yes (minor -ish) Carrots? Other vegetables? Did Teresa leave this there? No to rest
Balin

Postby hominid » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:15 am

Did he leave candy out there? Plastic Easter eggs? Food that the rabbit might enjoy? Was this food originally in the possession of Zack? Teresa?
hominid

Postby SurfingPikachu » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:54 pm

Is Alan's belief strengthened (in part?) by him seeing the wild rabbit? If yes, is the strengthening due to him believing it to be the Easter bunny? Did he believe that the wild rabbit brought the Easter eggs? Was there anything else that strengthened his belief?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Balin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:54 pm

Did he leave candy out there? Yes, beware FA Plastic Easter eggs? No, beware FA Food that the rabbit might enjoy? Only if rabbits like this type of candy
Was this food originally in the possession of Zack? Teresa? Neither!

Is Alan's belief strengthened (in part?) by him seeing the wild rabbit? Yes If yes, is the strengthening due to him believing it to be the Easter bunny? Yes Did he believe that the wild rabbit brought the Easter eggs? Yes, but that's only because he thought it was the Easter Bunny Was there anything else that strengthened his belief? Yes...
Balin

Postby hominid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:56 am

Was there some other food involved besides candy? Did the rabbit come because of the food?

Was the food originally in the possession of Alan? Alan and Teresa's parents? Zack's parents? Someone else?

Relevant what type of candy it was? Generic Easter candy?
hominid

Postby SurfingPikachu » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:19 pm

I sincerely think that this needs a summary. Please point out if I have made a mistake or left out something important.

Parents plant plastic Easter eggs outside the house in preparation for Easter.

At night, Teresa waits in her room for Zack. Zack signals Teresa (is it important how?), who leaves her room to go out with him. (Is it important why they met or what they did after?) This is a disobeyance of her parents. (Important why? Just not supposed to sneak out of the house at night?) Alan does not see any of this.

Also at some point, Zack left behind (important why?) some candy that was originally not in his possession (important where from?)? Is this due to the signalling? Is this even important?

The next morning, Alan sees a wild rabbit and the plastic eggs, and believes it to be the Easter bunny bringing the plastic eggs. And maybe something else? Which is important?

So, presumably Alan would not have seen the wild rabbit if not for the Teresa-Zack meeting? And it is important why?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Balin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:23 pm

Was there some other food involved besides candy? No, just the candy Did the rabbit come because of the food? Yes

Was the food originally in the possession of Alan? Alan and Teresa's parents? This, good q Zack's parents? Someone else?

Relevant what type of candy it was? Yes Generic Easter candy? It was a common Easter candy

I sincerely think that this needs a summary. Please point out if I have made a mistake or left out something important.

Parents plant plastic Easter eggs outside the house in preparation for Easter. Right

At night, Teresa waits in her room for Zack. Zack signals Teresa (is it important how?) Yes who leaves her room to go out with him. Right
(Is it important why they met or what they did after?) Not to the puzzle
This is a disobeyance of her parents. Right
(Important why? Just not supposed to sneak out of the house at night?) The way I conceived it, Zack is Teresa's boyfriend, her parents don't approve of the relationship, and Teresa is rebelling against them.
Alan does not see any of this. Right

Also at some point, Zack left behind (important why?) Yes, see below some candy that was originally not in his possession Right (important where from?)? Yes Is this due to the signalling? YES Is this even important? Yes

The next morning, Alan sees a wild rabbit and the plastic eggs and believes it to be the Easter bunny bringing the plastic eggs. Right And maybe something else? Yes! Which is important? Yes

So, presumably Alan would not have seen the wild rabbit if not for the Teresa-Zack meeting? Yes And it is important why? Yes

Good recap!
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:59 pm

Did Zack throw something at Teresa's window? a candy?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:48 am

Did Zack throw something at Teresa's window? a candy? Yes to both.

****SPOILER****

Dramatis personae:
Alan - a 7-year-old boy
Teresa - his 17-year-old sister
Zack - her 17-year-old boyfriend

The afternoon before Easter, Alan had heard someone say that the Easter Bunny wasn't real. Being a kid, this shattered him.

That night, while Alan and his parents slept, Zack snuck up to the house in order to take Teresa out in secret. To get her attention, he opened up a plastic Easter egg the parents had hidden in the yard, took some jelly beans out of it, and threw them at her window. Teresa went out with Zack, did whatever they did, and returned home with no one the wiser.

On Easter morning, a wild rabbit came up to the house, having smelled the candy, and started nibbling at the jelly beans left under Teresa's window. Alan saw the rabbit and the candy, and jubilantly told his parents he had just seen the Easter Bunny.

Well done everyone (hominid, Acridian, Pikachu, and everyone else) for working through this one!
Balin

Re: [Balin] Not as I do (*TAPPED OUT*)

Postby Grip » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:17 pm

Hah, that was a good one!
Grip

Re: [Balin] Not as I do (*TAPPED OUT*)

Postby hominid » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:12 am

Great puzzle!
hominid

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles