[GalFisk] Public frenemy #1

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[GalFisk] Public frenemy #1

Postby GalFisk » Sun May 07, 2017 2:07 pm

My friend when I want to look the part; my enemy when I want to be the part.
Last edited by GalFisk on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
GalFisk

Re: [GalFisk] Public frenemy #1

Postby Grip » Sun May 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Is the frenemy a person? animal? object?

Is makeup relevant? a costume?
Grip

Postby GalFisk » Mon May 08, 2017 5:02 am

Is the frenemy a person? animal? object? This.

Is makeup relevant? a costume? No to both.
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Mon May 08, 2017 11:17 am

Is the frenemy an article of clothing? Guess - a necktie or bow tie?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Mon May 08, 2017 12:43 pm

Is the frenemy an article of clothing? No. Guess - a necktie or bow tie?
GalFisk

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun May 14, 2017 5:58 pm

Is it part of a costume? A device? Decorative? Equipment of some sort? Can it be worn? Is it visible when you walk on the street?

Is your profession relevant? Do you not actually require it, but it is assumed to be required by others? (eg, a stethoscope which most doctors don't actually need but might wear to reassure patients.)
JenBurdoo

Postby GalFisk » Sun May 14, 2017 6:30 pm

Is it part of a costume? No. A device? Yes.
Decorative? No Equipment of some sort?
Yes
Can it be worn? Is it visible when you walk on the street? No to both.

Is your profession relevant? No. Do you not actually require it, but it is assumed to be required by others? (eg, a stethoscope which most doctors don't actually need but might wear to reassure patients.) I do require it.
GalFisk

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun May 14, 2017 6:36 pm

Does it get in your way?
JenBurdoo

Postby GalFisk » Sun May 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Does it get in your way? No.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon May 15, 2017 4:01 pm

The part: a professional? A scholar? A character? Adept at something?

Is the equipment bigger than a breadbox?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Mon May 15, 2017 10:01 pm

The part: a professional? A scholar? A character? Adept at something? No to all.

Is the equipment bigger than a breadbox? Yes.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon May 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Is it a car? Smaller than a car? Bigger? Is it something you keep in your house? Another building? Outside? Do you move it from place to place?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Tue May 23, 2017 6:46 am

Is it a car? No. Smaller than a car? Yes.
Bigger? No. Is it something you keep in your house? Yes. Another building? Outside? Do you move it from place to place? No to all.
GalFisk

Postby biograd » Sat May 27, 2017 4:34 am

Is it an appliance of some type? a computer?
biograd

Postby GalFisk » Sat May 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Is it an appliance of some type? Yes. a computer? No.
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:00 pm

Is it a kitchen appliance? Stove? Range? Refrigerator? Dishwasher? Microwave?

Is it a washer? Dryer?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Is it a kitchen appliance? Stove? Range? Refrigerator? Dishwasher? Microwave?

Is it a washer? This. Dryer?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:28 pm

look the part = act as if I am someone else? as if I am able to do something I cannot do in reality (for instance set up the washer)? Appear suitable for a particular situation? literally look at someone who is washing with the washer?

Guess-->Is it your friend in particular situations when it is easier/more convenient/advantageous to "pretend" to be able to use a washer, but when you really need it is your enemy because in reality you don't know how to set it up? Your friend because if someone else see it in your house would probably assume that you are able to use it? Would assume that if something is dirtied, the washer can be exploited?

is it relevant what is washed by the washer?Clothing in general?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:14 pm

look the part = act as if I am someone else? as if I am able to do something I cannot do in reality (for instance set up the washer)? No to both. Appear suitable for a particular situation? Thishish. literally look at someone who is washing with the washer? No.

Guess-->Is it your friend in particular situations when it is easier/more convenient/advantageous to "pretend" to be able to use a washer, but when you really need it is your enemy because in reality you don't know how to set it up? Your friend because if someone else see it in your house would probably assume that you are able to use it? Would assume that if something is dirtied, the washer can be exploited? No to all.

is it relevant what is washed by the washer?Clothing in general? Yes, this.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Are someone else's clothes been washed in the same washer? Colour mixed together? Clothes mixed together? Particular types of clothes relevant? Socks? Shirts? Trousers? T-shirts?

Is your job relevant? Is a particular phase of the washing relevant?setting up? During the washing? End of the washing?Is the washing itself relevant? Or sonething that will happen later on (minutes, hours, days later?) Or again something happened before the washing (hours, minutes, days)? Are some of your clothes washed in a particular way that make you appear suitable for a particular situation?

Do the washer directly causes your incapability "to be the part"? Something else?Same question for "look the part". Noise of the washer relevant?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:27 pm

Are someone else's clothes been washed in the same washer? Colour mixed together? Clothes mixed together? All irrelevant. Particular types of clothes relevant? No. Socks? Shirts? Trousers? T-shirts? All of them.

Is your job relevant? No. Is a particular phase of the washing relevant? Yesish. setting up? During the washing? Only this. End of the washing?Is the washing itself relevant? Yes. Or sonething that will happen later on (minutes, hours, days later?) No. Or again something happened before the washing (hours, minutes, days)? No. Are some of your clothes washed in a particular way that make you appear suitable for a particular situation? No, they're just washed clean.

Do the washer directly causes your incapability "to be the part"? Yes/FA. Something else? No.Same question for "look the part". The washer directly helps me "look the part". Noise of the washer relevant? No.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:56 pm

FA on the incapability? At the end are you able to "be the part"?

So washer helps you directly to look the part during the washing: is it thanks to the rotary movement of the washer?for the specific location of the washer in your house?

Appear suitable for a particular situation: multitasking? Are you present when the washer is washing your clothes?Do you just watch it washing?Or do you something else relevant? Listen to music?Read a book? Other people relevant?Someone with you?Is some other item important?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:07 am

FA on the incapability? At the end are you able to "be the part"? Correct. FA cleared.

So washer helps you directly to look the part during the washing: No. is it thanks to the rotary movement of the washer? No.for the specific location of the washer in your house? Its location is somewhat relevant.

Appear suitable for a particular situation: multitasking? No. Are you present when the washer is washing your clothes? Yes. Do you just watch it washing?
No.
Or do you something else relevant? Yes. Listen to music?Read a book? Other people relevant?Someone with you? no to all. Is some other item important? Yes.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:51 am

Do you do the relevant action while the washer is washing? Do you do something connected with cleaning?Washing? Is the action connected with one of your hobbies? Acting? Sport? Is the other item connected with cleaning/washing (such as detergent)? Or to an hobby you have (such as a script)? Electronic relevant? Phone?Computer?Watch a video?

look the part vs be the part: do you need to interpret someone? is this situation (look the part vs be the part) recurrent? Is it limited to a specific time period? One week? Two weeks?One month?four months?One year?More?

location relevant: in a laundry room?in the basement?Outside (I knew someone who has it outside)?Inside? Near bathroom? Upstair (if there are more floors)? Attic? Is it resting on the floor? Or set in a higher place?

Relevant when you usually do the washing? Every day? In particular days?Weekend? Part of the day relevant?Morning?Afternoon?Evening?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:36 am

Do you do the relevant action while the washer is washing? Yes. Do you do something connected with cleaning? Yes.
Washing? Yes, but... Is the action connected with one of your hobbies? Acting? Sport? No to all. Is the other item connected with cleaning/washing (such as detergent)? Yes, but not detergent. Or to an hobby you have (such as a script)? Electronic relevant? Phone?Computer?Watch a video? No to all.

look the part vs be the part: do you need to interpret someone? No. is this situation (look the part vs be the part) recurrent? Yes. Is it limited to a specific time period? No. One week? Two weeks?One month?four months?One year?More?

location relevant: in a laundry room?in the basement?Outside (I knew someone who has it outside)?Inside? Near bathroom? This, relevantly. All else no/irr. Upstair (if there are more floors)? Attic? Is it resting on the floor? Or set in a higher place?

Relevant when you usually do the washing? Not really, just that I sometimes do this other thing at the same time. Every day? Almost. In particular days?Weekend? Part of the day relevant?Morning?Afternoon?Evening? Any time.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:34 am

Relevantly washing other clothes?Yourself (I mean have a shower for instance)?The bathroom? washing in the bathtub relevant?

Do you do the relevant action every time you use the washer? Is the relevant item connected with the bathroom? such as a shower, bathtub, hair-drier, mirror, sink,comb, shampoo, something connected to personal hygiene?

are you looking the part while doing the relevant action and being the part after? Before?In the meantime? Look the part= imagine something?Is a purpose you have for yourself? Difference between being the part and looking the part is that when you are looking the part you do not perform an action that instead you perform when you are the part? Is looking the part necessary to wash yourself?To wash the clothes?Same question for being the part.
Guess --> do you look the part while washing yourself?

Your enemy: because prevent you to do something?Make you loose time?Stop an action you are doing?Disturb you? Require something that is difficult for you? is the solely presence of the washer causing it to be your enemy? Or something that the washer does while washing?

Your friend: it (washer) accomplish something you are doing?Is the washer's presence helping you to imagine looking the part?
Last edited by Earnest on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:46 am

Relevantly washing other clothes?Yourself (I mean have a shower for instance)? Yes, showering is the relevant action. washing in the bathtub relevant?

Do you do the relevant action every time you use the washer? No. Is the relevant item connected with the bathroom? such as a shower, bathtub, hair-drier, mirror, sink,comb? Yes, the shower is the other relevant object.

are you looking the part while doing the relevant action and being the part after? Before?In the meantime? Can you rephraze this in order to separate "looking the part" and "being the part"?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:01 pm

yes sorry, I include also the other questions:

are you looking the part while having the shower? are you "being the part" after having the shower? Before?In the meantime? Look the part= imagine something?Is a purpose you have for yourself? Difference between being the part and looking the part is that when you are looking the part you do not perform an action that instead you perform when you are the part?
Is looking the part necessary to wash yourself?To wash the clothes?Same question for being the part.

Your enemy: because prevent you to do something?Make you loose time?Oblige you to do he shower quickly?Stop an action you are doing?Disturb you? Require something that is difficult for you? is the solely presence of the washer causing it to be your enemy? Or something that the washer does while washing?

Your friend: it (washer) accomplish something you are doing?Is the washer's presence helping you to imagine looking the part?Do you do the shower while the washer washes your clothes because you want to wear them soon and want to avoid to get them dirty if you are sweaty for instance?

Is the washer your friend when: you are doing the shower?Before you do the shower?After?
Is the washer your enemy when: you are doing the shower?Before you do the shower?After?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:23 pm

yes sorry, No problem. I include also the other questions:

are you looking the part while having the shower? No. are you "being the part" after having the shower? Before? In the meantime? Yes, after. Look the part= imagine something? No. Is a purpose you have for yourself? Yes. Difference between being the part and looking the part is that when you are looking the part you do not perform an action that instead you perform when you are the part? I need to perform a different action in order to look the part.
Is looking the part necessary to wash yourself? No. To wash the clothes? No, but there is another connection. Same question for being the part. It is necessary to wash oneself, but not the clothes, in order to be the part.

Your enemy: because prevent you to do something?Make you loose time?Oblige you to do he shower quickly?Stop an action you are doing?Disturb you? This. Require something that is difficult for you? is the solely presence of the washer causing it to be your enemy? No. Or something that the washer does while washing? Yes.

Your friend: it (washer) accomplish something you are doing? Yes, DOYD of "doing". Is the washer's presence helping you to imagine looking the part? Irr.

Is the washer your friend when: you are doing the shower?Before you do the shower?After? This.
Is the washer your enemy when: you are doing the shower? This. Before you do the shower?After?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:52 pm

is the difference in the amount of water/flow of water that the shower is able to provide while the washer is turned on and when is turned off relevant? So is your enemy because when the washer is turned on less water "comes" from the shower?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:01 pm

is the difference in the amount of water/flow of water that the shower is able to provide while the washer is turned on and when is turned off relevant? Yes. So is your enemy because when the washer is turned on less water "comes" from the shower? Noish, explore.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:42 pm

The other way round? When you are doing the shower less water goes to the washer? Are you able to complete the shower without problems? Are the clothes that you have taken off in order to do the shower relevantly washed in the washer?

Do you look the part before the shower?After?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:07 pm

The other way round? No. When you are doing the shower less water goes to the washer? No. Are you able to complete the shower without problems? I complete it, but there are problems during it. Are the clothes that you have taken off in order to do the shower relevantly washed in the washer? Irrelevant.

Do you look the part before the shower?After? I can choose either. I normally choose to do so after a shower, or independently of any shower if needed.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Problems during the shower: less water? A somehow polluted water? Temperature of the water relevant?(too)Cold water? Hot water?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Problems during the shower: less water? A somehow polluted water? Temperature of the water relevant? Yes.(too)Cold water? Hot water? This, prinarily.
But if I try to remedy this problem, too cold water will later be an issue too.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:50 pm

So when you try to be the part to be washed the washer is your enemy? In this sense "my enemy when I want to be the part"? So the only part to discover now is the reason why is it your friend?

Your friend after the shower = after you have stopped the shower? Or because you need hot water?From the shower? Does the washer help you in warming up the bathroom?

Look the part = clean up the shower? Dry yourself?A consequent action to having the shower?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:08 pm

So when you try to be the part to be washed the washer is your enemy? When I want to "be the part" I take a shower, but showering is not "being the part". In this sense "my enemy when I want to be the part"? Yes, when I shower the washing machine is my enemy, because it messes with the water temperature in the shower. This happens because it's connected to the cold water line near the shower, leaving me with mostly hot water when the machine needs its own water. So the only part to discover now is the reason why is it your friend? If you discover what "the part" is, you will solve the puzzle.

Your friend after the shower = after you have stopped the shower? It's my friend because it washes my clothes,
which helps me "look the part".
Or because you need hot water?From the shower? Does the washer help you in warming up the bathroom? No.

Look the part = clean up the shower? Dry yourself?A consequent action to having the shower? No to all. Being the part is a consequence of having the shower however.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:41 pm

Do you sing when you have a shower? Is singing, "being the part"?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:39 pm

Do you sing when you have a shower? Frequently. Is singing, "being the part"? No, singing is irrelevant.
GalFisk

Postby biograd » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:44 pm

Is it as simple as "the part"="clean/well-groomed"? When you have taken a shower you actually ARE those things, but what's visible is mostly your clothing (though smell might tell a different story), so having clean clothes makes you LOOK clean and well-groomed. Therefore, the washing machine contributes to the appearance but takes away from the actual fact, by making it difficult to take a shower. Is this what you mean?
biograd

Postby Earnest » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:28 am

being the part = being the part washed?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:28 am

Is it as simple as "the part"="clean/well-groomed"? When you have taken a shower you actually ARE those things, but what's visible is mostly your clothing (though smell might tell a different story), so having clean clothes makes you LOOK clean and well-groomed. Therefore, the washing machine contributes to the appearance but takes away from the actual fact, by making it difficult to take a shower. Is this what you mean?
SPOILER:
Spot on. The washing machine is my friend when I want to look clean (by washing my clothes), but my enemy when I want to be clean (by messing up the shower temperature).
Last edited by GalFisk on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GalFisk

Re: [GalFisk] Public frenemy #1 (SOLVED)

Postby Earnest » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:53 pm

Very nice!!! Thanks
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles