[WiZ] Do you struggle with puzzle questions?

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] Do you struggle with puzzle questions?

Postby WiZ » Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 pm

Cathy is delivering a serious address to a large group of people. Partway through a sentence, she looks pointedly at a nondescript stranger in the crowd and emphasises the next two words. Everyone laughs, including the stranger (who had been listening quietly and attentively the whole time).

What was going on?

Caveat Earlispoilor
Last edited by WiZ on Mon May 22, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Do you sometimes struggle with puzzle questions?

Postby Balin » Wed May 10, 2017 1:22 am

Had she met the stranger before? (Which might not make him a "stranger," per se....) Had she seen him previously?
Is the subject of her address relevant? Are the two words emphasized particularly relevant to the subject of the address?
Balin

Postby JenBurdoo » Wed May 10, 2017 2:03 am

Did she recognize the stranger? Or did she deduce his identity? Was she looking directly at him for a reason? Did her two words apply to him in some way? Appear to? In some humorous fashion?

Were all the other audience members female? Distinctly different in some other way from the man?
JenBurdoo

Postby WiZ » Wed May 10, 2017 2:16 am

Balin

Had she met the stranger before? not relevantly (Which might not make him a "stranger," per se....) Had she seen him previously? not relevantly
Is the subject of her address relevant? yes Are the two words emphasized particularly relevant to the subject of the address? yes

JenBurdoo

Did she recognize the stranger? no Or did she deduce his identity? no Was she looking directly at him for a reason? yes Did her two words apply to him in some way? yes Appear to? no In some humorous fashion? yes

Were all the other audience members female? no Distinctly different in some other way from the man? no
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Wed May 10, 2017 6:42 am

Is the man's looks relevant? Clothing? Seating? Actions? Body language? Facial expression (s)? Some object?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Wed May 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Is the man's looks relevant? Clothing? Seating? Actions? yes Body language? Facial expression (s)? Some object? no to rest
WiZ

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun May 14, 2017 6:33 pm

Is she giving a lecture? A press conference? Does the man a student or reporter? Does he raise his hand to ask a question and her next words are "no comment" or "no questions until after the lecture" or something of that nature? Or "I will not answer X question" which is a question on everyone's mind? Or has somehow answered it just as he asks it?

Is she speaking, metalinguistically, of the next man to make a particular action?
JenBurdoo

Postby WiZ » Sun May 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Is she giving a lecture? no A press conference? no Does the man a student or reporter? no Does he raise his hand to ask a question and her next words are "no comment" or "no questions until after the lecture" or something of that nature? no Or "I will not answer X question" which is a question on everyone's mind? no Or has somehow answered it just as he asks it? no

Is she speaking, metalinguistically, of the next man to make a particular action? no
WiZ

Postby trebor » Wed May 17, 2017 6:27 am

pm sent.
trebor

Postby WiZ » Wed May 17, 2017 10:37 pm

pm sent. Not the solution I had in mind; so fire away with your questions!
WiZ

Postby Balin » Fri May 19, 2017 10:48 am

Is she delivering a sermon? A eulogy?
Balin

Postby trebor » Sat May 20, 2017 6:52 am

Just so everyone knows, I'd asked if she was an actor delivering (potentially delivering a soliloquy, I thought), and if cell phones were relevant. No to both.

Now...is she a politician? Is she addressing the crowd in a professional context? If yes, is this sort of thing the primary focus of her work? Is she a motivational speaker? Or is addressing crowds like this something that is secondary or tertiary to what she might consider her actual work?

Is the stranger a H?A?M? (I believe there are a few other animals physically capable of laughter, and I'm sure that both of my dogs laughed in their own ways at stupid things they saw me do.) Is the fact that he is non-descript relevant? Does this set him apart from the rest of the audience? Perhaps they all have a certain disability or something that he does not? Is privilege relevant to this puzzle?

Does the stranger perform one relevant action? Several? Is it an action that forms a communication with her? Is it an action that other members of the group she's addressing are incapable of performing? Is it an action that would otherwise be normal, but was humourous in this context? Did he scratch an itch? Sneeze? Yawn? Do some other thing like that that we do frequently, perhaps without thought? Something embarrassing? (Now that I've typed the word "yawn", I've actually yawned. And again. Is this phenomenon relevant? WAG territory, I know, but I'd be delighted if this were OTRT. Perhaps most people wouldn't like to listen to a speech about yawning, but I imagine it could be a sleeper hit.)

When the stranger laughs, is it kind of a "ya got me" sort of laugh, if you know what I mean? Relevant? Is the rest of the crowd laughing because they witnessed him doing something that is being called out?

"Large crowd": greater than 100? 500? 1,000?
trebor

Postby WiZ » Sun May 21, 2017 9:23 pm

Balin

Is she delivering a sermon? no, but close A eulogy? no

Trebor

Now...is she a politician? no Is she addressing the crowd in a professional context? no If yes, is this sort of thing the primary focus of her work? Is she a motivational speaker? no Or is addressing crowds like this something that is secondary or tertiary to what she might consider her actual work? yes

Is the stranger a H?A? yes M? irrelevant (I believe there are a few other animals physically capable of laughter, and I'm sure that both of my dogs laughed in their own ways at stupid things they saw me do. One cannot have 'larf' without 'arf') Is the fact that he is non-descript relevant? no Does this set him apart from the rest of the audience? no Perhaps they all have a certain disability or something that he does not? n/a Is privilege relevant to this puzzle? no; privilege will not need to be checked here.

Does the stranger perform one relevant action? yes Several? no Is it an action that forms a communication with her? no Is it an action that other members of the group she's addressing are incapable of performing? no Is it an action that would otherwise be normal, but was humourous in this context? yes! Did he scratch an itch? no Sneeze? yes!Yawn? no Do some other thing like that that we do frequently, perhaps without thought? no Something embarrassing? mildly, although this is context-dependent (Now that I've typed the word "yawn", I've actually yawned. And again. Is this phenomenon relevant? no - but aren't we fortunate that, of all the bodily functions that are contagious, it is the yawn? WAG territory, I know, but I'd be delighted if this were OTRT . Perhaps most people wouldn't like to listen to a speech about yawning, but I imagine it could be a sleeper hit.) It would be the stuff dreams were made of.

When the stranger laughs, is it kind of a "ya got me" sort of laugh yes, if you know what I mean? yes Relevant? It's not pivotal to the solution, but it's consistent with the situation Is the rest of the crowd laughing because they witnessed him doing something that is being called out? yope

"Large crowd": greater than 100? yes, for the purposes of this puzzle 500? 1,000? no to others
WiZ

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon May 22, 2017 2:47 pm

Does she talk about how God will "bless you"? Or otherwise use those two words?
Hobbsicle

Postby WiZ » Mon May 22, 2017 8:22 pm

Does she talk about how God will "bless you"? Or otherwise use those two words? essentially.

***** SPOILER *****

She was doing a reading during a church service. Just before she was about to reach the words 'bless you', a member of the congregation sneezed. She took advantage of this timing.

Well done, Hobbsicle, and thank you everyone for playing.
WiZ

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles