[Hobbsicle] Sleep Deficit Disorder

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Hobbsicle] Sleep Deficit Disorder

Postby Hobbsicle » Sun May 21, 2017 5:19 pm

A man is doing chores in his house. While working on a task, he stops suddenly, without having completed the task, and moves to another task. He does this several times over the course of a few minutes, then goes back to completing tasks one at a time again. He was not prevented from completing any of the tasks, nor was it more efficient to do this, so why does he do it?
Last edited by Hobbsicle on Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbsicle

Re: [Hobbsicle] Sleep Deficit Disorder

Postby WiZ » Sun May 21, 2017 11:06 pm

Is anyone else involved? Is someone/something monitoring his work? Does he have to report on what he's been doing? Are automated sensors or timers relevant?

Has something happened in the course of performing any of the tasks that requires sudden and urgent attention? Does this set of circumstances re-occur? Does he know what he's doing with regard to the tasks he's been charged with?
WiZ

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon May 22, 2017 3:09 pm

Is anyone else involved? Yes Is someone/something monitoring his work? Yes-ish Does he have to report on what he's been doing? No Are automated sensors or timers relevant? No

Has something happened in the course of performing any of the tasks that requires sudden and urgent attention? Yes-ish, for softer definitions of "requires" and "urgent" Does this set of circumstances re-occur? Yes Does he know what he's doing with regard to the tasks he's been charged with? Yes
Hobbsicle

Postby Zanreo » Fri May 26, 2017 12:31 am

Does he get notified in some way about the new thing that happened? Are the two tasks related somehow? Is the thing that needs sudden attention the other task? Each time (going from task 1 to task 2 and then back to task 1 again) Did he start both chores at the same time/shortly after each other?

Anyone else involved: Someone he knows? Friend? Family?
Zanreo

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri May 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Does he get notified in some way about the new thing that happened? Yes Are the two tasks related somehow? FA that there are only two, but otherwise yes-ish Is the thing that needs sudden attention the other task? Not in itself, no Each time (going from task 1 to task 2 and then back to task 1 again) Similar thing happens each time Did he start both chores at the same time/shortly after each other? irrel

Anyone else involved: Someone he knows? Friend? Family? This
Hobbsicle

Postby irishelk » Fri May 26, 2017 2:40 pm

Is one family member involved? Multiple family members? Are the member(s) helping with the tasks? Are they the "object" of the tasks (e.g. changing a baby's diaper, helping a kid with homework, etc)? Does he switch chores because he needs to "catch" another person during a brief period when they're available?

Does one chore help to complete another? Does one chore remind him of another?

Does switching to another chore free up someone to help him with the first? Or convince someone to help him? Does someone else require assistance? Instruction?
irishelk

Postby biograd » Fri May 26, 2017 11:41 pm

Is he in some way trying to train his brain to multitask better?
biograd

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue May 30, 2017 2:59 am

irishelk

Is one family member involved? Yes Multiple family members? No Are the member(s) helping with the tasks? Yes-ish Are they the "object" of the tasks (e.g. changing a baby's diaper, helping a kid with homework, etc)? No Does he switch chores because he needs to "catch" another person during a brief period when they're available? Not really, but OTRT

Does one chore help to complete another? Does one chore remind him of another?
No to these

Does switching to another chore free up someone to help him with the first? No Or convince someone to help him? No Does someone else require assistance? Yope Instruction? Yes-ish

biograd

Is he in some way trying to train his brain to multitask better? No
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Tue May 30, 2017 3:55 am

Is he showing someone how to do several chores? How to help with them?
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:19 am

Is he showing someone how to do several chores? Yope How to help with them? Yes-ish, explore
Hobbsicle

Postby hominid » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:56 am

The family member: a parent? Child? Sibling? Spouse? Aunt/uncle? Niece/nephew? Grandparent? Grandchild? Cousin? Is the family member H? A? M? F?

Could the family member do the chores on their own?
hominid

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:14 pm

Yesish help: not hinder? Be of help if needed? Watch? Provide safety? Hold something?
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:56 pm

hominid

The family member: a parent? Child? This Sibling? Spouse? Aunt/uncle? Niece/nephew? Grandparent? Grandchild? Cousin? Is the family member H? A? M? F? Gender Irrel, assume son

Could the family member do the chores on their own? NO

Galfisk

Yesish help: not hinder? This is part of it, although the "yesish" was more in regards to "showing", because it was more indirect than that Be of help if needed? Watch? Provide safety? Hold something? No to others
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Yesish showing: teaching? Guiding? Explaining? Helping? Playing a game?
GalFisk

Postby hominid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:25 pm

The son: a child? Infant? Exact age relevant?

Is the father expecting the son to do the chore in the future? Is the son disabled? Did the father explain what he was doing to the son?

Can we call the father Gordon? Can we call the son Billy?
hominid

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:12 pm

GalFisk

Yesish showing: teaching? Guiding? This is closest Explaining? Helping? Playing a game?

hominid

The son: a child? Infant? Exact age relevant? Young toddler, and that is relevant

Is the father expecting the son to do the chore in the future? Irrel Is the son disabled? No Did the father explain what he was doing to the son? No, or not successfully, given the child's age

Can we call the father Gordon? Can we call the son Billy? Yes
Hobbsicle

Postby irishelk » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:29 pm

Does Gordon instruct Billy on doing part of the chores, so that Gordon can then finish them?

Is Billy doing something incorrectly? Does Gordon stop one chore to fix something else that Billy is doing?
irishelk

Postby trebor » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:03 am

When I was a kid I had a Fisher-Price lawnmower that I would use alongside my grandpa as he mowed his lawn, so that I was, in my imagination, mowing the lawn with him. Is a similar situation occurring here? Is it relevant what specific chores Gordon is doing? When Gordon is interrupted each time, is it for less than five minutes? Longer? Relevant?
trebor

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:38 pm

irishelk

Does Gordon instruct Billy on doing part of the chores, so that Gordon can then finish them? No

Is Billy doing something incorrectly? YES, or rather, he was Does Gordon stop one chore to fix something else that Billy is doing? Sort of, more to prevent the mistake.

trebor

When I was a kid I had a Fisher-Price lawnmower that I would use alongside my grandpa as he mowed his lawn, so that I was, in my imagination, mowing the lawn with him. Is a similar situation occurring here? Similar, yes, OTRT Is it relevant what specific chores Gordon is doing? More general than specific, but yes When Gordon is interrupted each time, is it for less than five minutes? Longer? Relevant? Mostly irrel, but for context, yes, the intervals were pretty short, a couple of minutes maybe
Hobbsicle

Postby trebor » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:10 pm

Is Billy's mistake going to interfere directly with Gordon's chores? Is Billy mimicking something Gordon is doing? Has already done?

Is Gordon doing the dishes? Dusting? Sweeping/washing the floor? Doing laundry? Cleaning a particular room of the house? Tidying something up?
trebor

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:01 pm

Is Billy's mistake going to interfere directly with Gordon's chores? Somewhat Is Billy mimicking something Gordon is doing? YES Has already done? To some degree, this is true as well

Is Gordon doing the dishes? Dusting? Sweeping/washing the floor? Doing laundry? Could be some aspect of this Cleaning a particular room of the house? And this Tidying something up? THIS is most relevant
Hobbsicle

Postby trebor » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:02 am

Is Gordon showing Billy how to put his toys away? Does Billy have toys that belong in different spots? If so, is he taking toys that have been put away in the correct place and putting them where Gordon is putting other toys?
trebor

Postby Hobbsicle » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:49 pm

Is Gordon showing Billy how to put his toys away? Does Billy have toys that belong in different spots? If so, is he taking toys that have been put away in the correct place and putting them where Gordon is putting other toys? YES, this is all basically correct.

***********SPOILER************

This is actually about something I did recently. I was tidying up a room, and I noticed that my toddler was imitating me by picking up something and putting it wherever I just put it: a box, a laundry basket, the trash, whatever. Wanting to encourage him in his help, and not immediately undo whatever he was doing, I would watch to see what he would pick up, and switch to cleaning up that same thing, so that he would end up imitating me in a way that was actually helpful.

Good job, Trebor, for sticking it out to the solve, and thanks everyone for participating. And the title is just another way to say "having small children".
Hobbsicle

Re: [Hobbsicle] Sleep Deficit Disorder (AWAKE)

Postby irishelk » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:15 pm

Awww! I'm glad you found a lateral way that he could actually help. :)
irishelk

Re: [Hobbsicle] Sleep Deficit Disorder (AWAKE)

Postby trebor » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:17 am

Very good!
trebor

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles