[WiZ] The riddle of this round fool's

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] The riddle of this round fool's

Postby WiZ » Mon May 29, 2017 8:58 pm

If you described the end of this person's life orally, you would tell the entire story.

If you described the end of this person's life in writing, you would only tell half the story.

To whom am I referring?
Last edited by WiZ on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] The riddle of this round fool's

Postby LemonCurry » Tue May 30, 2017 6:15 am

Are particular works of fiction relevant?

Would you use the same words orally and in writing? When you tell the story orally, would you sing? Make relevant noises other than the words? Gestures? Raise and lower your voice?

Was this a real person? A fictional person?
LemonCurry

Postby WiZ » Tue May 30, 2017 8:08 pm

Are particular works of fiction relevant? no

Would you use the same words orally and in writing? yes When you tell the story orally, would you sing? not necessarily Make relevant noises other than the words? no Gestures? no Raise and lower your voice? no

Was this a real person? yes A fictional person?
WiZ

Postby biograd » Tue May 30, 2017 9:50 pm

Are there any homophones that would make it easy to misinterpret a written description? any phrases that have different meaning depending on which word is stressed?
biograd

Postby WiZ » Tue May 30, 2017 10:04 pm

Are there any homophones yes that would make it easy to misinterpret no a written description? But OTRT any phrases that have different meaning depending on which word is stressed? no
WiZ

Postby Balin » Wed May 31, 2017 1:37 am

Is a certain relevant word pronounced in multiple ways? Is a certain word relevantly spelled out?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Wed May 31, 2017 2:19 am

Is a certain relevant word pronounced in multiple ways? no Is a certain word relevantly spelled out? no
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Wed May 31, 2017 3:57 am

If you read the written description aloud, would you tell the entire story? Puns relevant? Other wordplay? End of life: how the person died? The latest time of the person's life? Person:H?A?M? Real person? Fictional?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Wed May 31, 2017 4:19 am

If you read the written description aloud, would you tell the entire story? yes Puns relevant? arguably; the homophone is key Other wordplay? no of life: how the person died? yes The latest time of the person's life? no Person:H?A? yes M? no Real person? yes Fictional? no
WiZ

Postby Westing1992 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:23 pm

Is how she died relevant? Execution? Assassination? Illness? Accident?
Westing1992

Postby GalFisk » Wed May 31, 2017 1:57 pm

"She died" vs "she dyed" relevant? Did she drown in a vat of dye?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Wed May 31, 2017 8:48 pm

Westing

Is how she died relevant? yes Execution? Assassination? Illness? Accident? this

GalFisk

"She died" vs "she dyed" relevant? No (although Google sez this did happen at least twice) Did she drown in a vat of dye? no

Remember: Whichever way the description is worded, it is clear that it describes the manner of this person's death
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:04 am

Did she die from: electrocution? Strangulation? Suffocation? Poison? Venom? Impact? Hunger? Thirst? Cod? Heat? Blood loss? Organ failure? Disease? Infection? Decapitation? Fall? Explosion? A weapon? Were other people involved in the accident?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:07 am

Did she die from: electrocution? Strangulation? this, no to rest Suffocation? Poison? Venom? Impact? Hunger? Thirst? Cod? Heat? Blood loss? Organ failure? Disease? Infection? Decapitation? Fall? Explosion? A weapon? Were other people involved in the accident? no

I think that narrows it down.
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:12 am

Hi,
did it happen in ancient times? Recent times?Relevant?Is her nationality relevant? Did she come from States?New Zealand?UK?Italy?France?...List of countries (am I allowed to do this?).Is she an historical character?

Are the homophones words told in the same language?Are the homophones specific for the strangulation?For the way she was strangled?For the way the accident happened? For instance:"Strangle and struggle"? Was she pregnant?Relevant?Was she hanged in place of another person?

Relevant how she was strangled? with a rope?A safety belt?

Accident: was she working?Suicide?car accident?Experiment?Circus?Some kind of performance?Martial arts? Sports relevant?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:53 pm

did it happen in ancient times? Recent times? this Relevant? yes Is her nationality relevant? no Did she come from States? yes; no to rest New Zealand?UK?Italy?France?...List of countries (am I allowed to do this?) you can in this case (it's generally treated case-by-base) .Is she an historical character? she is somewhat well-known, but not a hugely influential figure on history

Are the homophones words told in the same language? yes Are the homophones specific for the strangulation? yes For the way she was strangled? yes For the way the accident happened? yes For instance:"Strangle and struggle"? that's the idea; the homophone is even closer, though Was she pregnant? no Relevant? no Was she hanged in place of another person? no

Relevant how she was strangled? yes with a rope? no A safety belt? no, but OTRT

Accident: was she working? no Suicide? no car accident? yes, of sorts Experiment?Circus?Some kind of performance?Martial arts? Sports relevant? no to the rest
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:49 pm

Is she Isadora Duncan ?
peter365

Postby WiZ » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:20 am

Is she Isadora Duncan ? The evidence was looking pretty conclusive there, wasn't it? Yes, it is Isadora Duncan.

This puzzle seems to be unfolding in an opposite way to my expectations - I anticipated that you would unravel the mystery of the two premises and use that to find out the identity of the person, but you've done the 20 questions thing and worked out the identity of the person first. So your task now is to unravel the mystery of the two premises:

If you described the end of this person's life orally, you would tell the entire story.

If you described the end of this person's life in writing, you would only tell half the story.

How does this work? Remember that a homophone is key.
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:11 am

Well I had to google Isadora Duncan, may I continue to ask questions?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:17 am

Relevant what object she was strangled by? If so, was it part of a car? Other vehicle? Her clothing? An accessory? Someone else's clothing? An animal? Rope/string/wire? Did she fall? Was she dragged? Sports equipment relevant?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:04 am

I do know about Isadora Duncan, but I don't know what the homophone is. She was strangled by her silk scarf that became caught in the wheels and axle of the car she was riding in.
Is the homophone present in the previous sentence?
Balin

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:27 pm

She was choked by attire...
Hobbsicle

Postby WiZ » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:52 pm

Earnest

Well I had to google Isadora Duncan, may I continue to ask questions? Yes - having that level of background knowledge is useful.

GalFisk

Relevant what object she was strangled by? yes If so, was it part of a car? part of a car is relevant Other vehicle? no Her clothing? yes! An accessory? yes Someone else's clothing? An animal? Rope/string/wire? Did she fall? Was Sports equipment relevant? no to rest

Balin

I do know about Isadora Duncan, but I don't know what the homophone is. She was strangled by her silk scarf that became caught in the wheels and axle of the car she was riding in. Correct
Is the homophone present in the previous sentence? no

Hobbsicle

***** SPOILER *****

She was choked by attire...

Well done, Hobbsicle. Isadora Duncan was strangled when the long scarf she was wearing caught in the wheel of her sports car. So she was strangled by attire, and also strangled by a tire.
WiZ

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles