[Balin] Expelli-almost

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Expelli-almost

Postby Balin » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:29 pm

Why did a high school student intentionally get caught cheating while taking a test?
Balin

Re: [Balin] Expelli-almost

Postby Earnest » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:04 pm

H/A/M? To be sure...cheating was considered a bad thing for the purposes of the test, right? And the test is a test made inside the high school in order to verify some ability of the students of the high school? I mean...not a test which is not part of the classical education of high school students (like entrance tests / conservatory/sports)?
Cheating = copy from another student? Copy from some notes he had? Was it an oral test? a written one? Did he have accomplices? Relevant that he was an high school student? Or could it work also if he was a college student?Or a student from elementary school fro instance?
Were there negative consequences for those who were caught cheating? Is him the only one cheating in the room? Relevant? If not, was him caught cheating would also the others been discovered?

Did the student care about the test? Was it a normal test, right? Relevant of which subject? Or was a test like a fire test? Was it a physical test? (e.g. in physical education). Did he cheat intentionally? I was thinking about something with a physical appearance that make it easier to do something that others, without that physical characteristic cannot do easily (e.g. a color blind which recognize something which was completely camouflaged for others).
Relevant what happens to the students who were get caught while cheating? Were them thrown out of the class? Did he want to impress someone? A girl?
Is being caught cheating the only way to do something?To accuse someone else to be his accomplice? To attract someone's attention? To exit the room without causing suspects? To exit the school? To cancel the test? Did he got relevantly bad/good marks earlier?

Is it relevant the place where the high school was located? The time period? The type of high school?
Earnest

Postby SurfingPikachu » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Did s/he want to avoid some consequences of doing well in the test? (e.g. getting bullied by delinquents, getting pestered for study tips, being pressured to take up certain scholarships or career paths)
Did s/he want to provide a false explanation of having done well in previous tests?
Did s/he want some consequences of being caught cheating? (e.g. want to be expelled from a school s/he did not like, want to meet the beautiful discipline master s/he had a crush on)
Did s/he want to make a point? (e.g. how easy it was to cheat)
Was s/he intending to distract or misdirect (e.g. to get the teacher's attention focused on him and not a fellow cheater)
Did s/he expect to be punished for cheating?
Was s/he threatened or coerced into doing so?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Balin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:41 am

H/A/M? H/high school age/not sure so let's go with M
To be sure...cheating was considered a bad thing for the purposes of the test, right? Yes And the test is a test made inside the high school in order to verify some ability of the students of the high school? Yes I mean...not a test which is not part of the classical education of high school students (like entrance tests / conservatory/sports)? Right, it's not one of these
Cheating = copy from another student? Copy from some notes he had? Exact method of cheating irrel
Was it an oral test? a written one? This
Did he have accomplices? No
Relevant that he was a high school student? Or could it work also if he was a college student? This is possible Or a student from elementary school fro instance? Probably not this
Were there negative consequences for those who were caught cheating? Yes Is him the only one cheating in the room? Assume Yes Relevant? No If not, was him caught cheating would also the others been discovered? No

Did the student care about the test? Yes Was it a normal test, right? Yes Relevant of which subject? No Or was a test like a fire test? No Was it a physical test? No (e.g. in physical education). Did he cheat intentionally? Yes I was thinking about something with a physical appearance that make it easier to do something that others, without that physical characteristic cannot do easily (e.g. a color blind which recognize something which was completely camouflaged for others). That's a clever idea, but No
Relevant what happens to the students who were get caught while cheating? Yes Were them thrown out of the class? No Did he want to impress someone? No A girl? No
Is being caught cheating the only way to do something? In this situation, Yes To accuse someone else to be his accomplice? To attract someone's attention? To exit the room without causing suspects? To exit the school? To cancel the test? No, but OTRT. Others are No
Did he got relevantly bad/good marks earlier? Yes. He's in general a good student

Is it relevant the place where the high school was located? The time period? The type of high school? No to all

Did s/he want to avoid some consequences of doing well in the test? No (e.g. getting bullied by delinquents, getting pestered for study tips, being pressured to take up certain scholarships or career paths) So No to these
Did s/he want to provide a false explanation of having done well in previous tests? No
Did s/he want some consequences of being caught cheating? Yes (e.g. want to be expelled from a school s/he did not like, want to meet the beautiful discipline master s/he had a crush on) Not these
Did s/he want to make a point? No (e.g. how easy it was to cheat) No
Was s/he intending to distract or misdirect (e.g. to get the teacher's attention focused on him and not a fellow cheater) No
Did s/he expect to be punished for cheating? Yes
Was s/he threatened or coerced into doing so? No
Balin

Postby Enjay » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:16 pm

Was the student capable of doing well in the test without cheating?
Is it relevant how he got caught? Who caught him?

The consequences that he wanted to happen: consequences for him? For another student or students? For everyone taking the test? For the teacher? For another member of staff? For a specific other person or group?

Would him being caught cheating mean him getting expelled? Punished in some other relevant way? Would it affect the scores of other people taking the test? Cause the test to be re-taken? Trigger an investigation? Are any of the student's other subjects other than the one he cheated in relevant?
Enjay

Postby Earnest » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:34 pm

cancel the test OTRT...so maybe to have the chance to redo it? Are the consequences more disciplinary (I mean suspension/a bad note; a dress down?)or more related to the test (bad/low mark? did he want a lower average grade in that subject?)...
Earnest

Postby SurfingPikachu » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:17 am

To add another possibility, would being caught cheating mean him having to retake the course? WAG: Perhaps he was sick earlier and missed an important deadline or test and would not be on track for an A, so he wanted to retake the course in the one way he could.
SurfingPikachu

Postby Balin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:11 am

Was the student capable of doing well in the test without cheating? Yes AND No - explore
Is it relevant how he got caught? No Who caught him? Assume the teacher

The consequences that he wanted to happen: consequences for him? This For another student or students? For everyone taking the test? For the teacher? For another member of staff? For a specific other person or group?

Would him being caught cheating mean him getting expelled? Punished in some other relevant way? Would it affect the scores of other people taking the test? Cause the test to be re-taken? This; No to rest Trigger an investigation?
Are any of the student's other subjects other than the one he cheated in relevant? No
Good to see you again Enjay!

cancel the test OTRT...so maybe to have the chance to redo it? Yes
Are the consequences more disciplinary (I mean suspension/a bad note; a dress down?) No
or more related to the test Yes (bad/low mark? This, with a key -ish did he want a lower average grade in that subject? No )...

To add another possibility, would being caught cheating mean him having to retake the course? No
WAG: Perhaps he was sick earlier and missed an important deadline or test and would not be on track for an A, so he wanted to retake the course in the one way he could. No, but this is along the right road!
Balin

Postby SurfingPikachu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:58 am

He let himself get caught cheating so that he could retake the test? So that he could get a better grade on the retaken test? Perhaps he found the current questions too difficult? Or not something he had prepared for? And wanted to "reroll" the questions? (Or if the test is bell-curved, perhaps he found the current questions too easy?)
SurfingPikachu

Postby Enjay » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:11 pm

Thanks Balin, my post history tells me it's been 3 years since I was last posting on the forum!

Is the student's ultimate goal here to do better in the test than he would have otherwise? To do better overall in his grades?

If, at the last minute, something had happened to stop the student cheating as he planned to (so he had to take the test without cheating aids), would he likely have done well? Average? Badly?

Was he already planning to cheat before he arrived for the test? If so, had the plan existed for a long time? Had he not studied because he knew he was planning to cheat? Did he only decide to cheat when he saw the test?

Would everyone have to retake the test once he was caight cheating? Just him? Would there be any relevant differences between the re-rest and the original test? (Eg he would have to do it alone in a room, he would be watched more strictly, he would have his score capped?)

Does the student plan to re-take the test as required? If so, does he plan to cheat in that one as well? Does he expect to do well in the re-take? Does he plan to study more between the test and the re-take? Relevant how much time would pass before he re-takes?
Enjay

Postby Earnest » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:56 pm

Again...sorry if I'll repeat some of your questions but I am too curious and in a rush at the same time

So...did he want to redo the test? Is the low mark that he would have taken hogher than the mark he would have received hadn't he cheated?
So I don't know how it works in USA but is there the possibility to completely fail the test? In that case is there the possibility that if you fail in that subject you need to repeat the year completely? Did he want to avoid such a situation?

Low mark as a consequence with -ish...so had he taken a low mark would it have been relevantly published? Had he got fear of his parents' possible reactions? Are the results of the test relevantly put online and he preferred a phrasing (e.g. "to be redone") rather than a low-mark? Does the -ish maybe refer to an espression that is equivalent to a low-mark? Did he want to cheat even on the consequences of hos cheating (I mean, if he was caught cheating, was it simpler for him to escape from a bad situation to happen? If so does this situation involve someone else?)
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:23 am

He let himself get caught cheating so that he could retake the test? Yes So that he could get a better grade on the retaken test? Yes Perhaps he found the current questions too difficult? See next Or not something he had prepared for? Yes And wanted to "reroll" the questions? Yes, if I correctly understand "re-roll" (Or if the test is bell-curved, perhaps he found the current questions too easy?) No

Thanks Balin, my post history tells me it's been 3 years since I was last posting on the forum! Hope you stick around longer this time! =D

Is the student's ultimate goal here to do better in the test than he would have otherwise? Yes To do better overall in his grades? And so Yes

If, at the last minute, something had happened to stop the student cheating as he planned to (so he had to take the test without cheating aids), would he likely have done well? Average? Badly? This

Was he already planning to cheat before he arrived for the test? No If so, had the plan existed for a long time? So no Had he not studied because he knew he was planning to cheat? No, but... Did he only decide to cheat when he saw the test? Yes

Would everyone have to retake the test once he was caight cheating? Just him? This Would there be any relevant differences between the re-rest and the original test? (Eg he would have to do it alone in a room, he would be watched more strictly, he would have his score capped?) Yes, the last of these

Does the student plan to re-take the test as required? Yes If so, does he plan to cheat in that one as well? No Does he expect to do well in the re-take? Yes Does he plan to study more between the test and the re-take? Yes Relevant how much time would pass before he re-takes? Yes

So...did he want to redo the test? Yes Is the low mark that he would have taken hogher than the mark he would have received hadn't he cheated? Yes
So I don't know how it works in USA but is there the possibility to completely fail the test? Yes In that case is there the possibility that if you fail in that subject you need to repeat the year completely? Yes, but that's irrelevant to this particular case Did he want to avoid such a situation? See previous

Low mark as a consequence with -ish...so had he taken a low mark would it have been relevantly published? [bHad he got fear of his parents' possible reactions? Are the results of the test relevantly put online and he preferred a phrasing (e.g. "to be redone") rather than a low-mark? Does the -ish maybe refer to an espression that is equivalent to a low-mark? Did he want to cheat even on the consequences of hos cheating (I mean, if he was caught cheating, was it simpler for him to escape from a bad situation to happen? If so does this situation involve someone else?) None of these, but between the three of you, you have the answer.

****SPOILER****

As seen on a Reddit thread about the most clever ways of cheating on tests:

Probably too late for this, but I had one pretty laid back teacher for high school forensics. If he caught you cheating he would make you retake the test after school and dock you 10%. I forgot we had a test and thought I was gonna do bad so I purposely got caught cheating and studied in my 5th and 6th hour and ended up getting a 100%. He docked me the grade, but I still ended up with a 90% on a test I probably would've failed. It's not quite cheating but I feel like I cheated the system.
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles