[CoffeeBean] Drew and Bruce Can Do It, Can You?

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[CoffeeBean] Drew and Bruce Can Do It, Can You?

Postby CoffeeBean » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Not too long ago, I suggested that someone should derflonk. Several people agreed with me, but I don't think any of them have done it.

Here are some things that will help you...

1. Derflonking is safe and highly encouraged when done in an appropriate place
2. If a person derflonks in a place where it is not appropriate, it could lead some parents to cover their child's eyes and yell out, "Look away! You must never do that!"
3. A place where derflonking is encouraged can be merely a few feet away from where it is forbidden
4. A person can get arrested for derflonking, especially where there are witnesses
5. Men, women and children can derflonk, and in fact it could be something that the whole family does together. If done right, onlookers may applaud
6. Even a well-executed derflonk can anger a small group of select people

So...can you figure out what it means to derflonk?
CoffeeBean

Re: [CoffeeBean] Drew and Bruce Can Do It, Can You?

Postby Enjay » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:23 pm

Does a place where derflonking is not appropriate mean a place where it is forbidden? Or could there be places where it is inappropriate but not actually forbidden?

Does forbidden mean forbidden by law? By custom? By the people in charge of the place where it is being performed?

Would someone only get arrested for it if they do it in a place where it if forbidden?

Could someone easily tell whether a given place was an appropriate place to derflonk?

In statement 2, would the parents tell their child not to do it because the child might get in trouble/arrested? Because it could be physically dangerous? Because it is somehow adult in nature? Is there something about derflonking that makes children particularly likely to copy it if they see it?
Enjay

Postby biograd » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:10 pm

Would one get arrested for derflonking because it damages property? has the potential to injure a person physically? impedes some important activity performed by someone else?

Does derflonking involve interacting with an object? If so, is it one that the derflonker possesses? or one in the surrounding environment? Is the object relevantly modified in state after derflonking relative to before?

Does derflonking make a sound? as cool as it sounds like it does? (J/K, mostly, on that last one!)
biograd

Postby CoffeeBean » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Does a place where derflonking is not appropriate mean a place where it is forbidden? Usually, yes
Or could there be places where it is inappropriate but not actually forbidden? Good q - Certain people may say that this kind of thing is never appropriate, but I would argue that if you are in a place where this isn't forbidden it is always appropriate

Does forbidden mean forbidden by law? In many places, yes By custom? No, not likely
By the people in charge of the place where it is being performed? Yes, but in these cases that means it's forbidden by law

Would someone only get arrested for it if they do it in a place where it is forbidden? Not always, but if the police saw them doing it they would almost certainly be arrested

Could someone easily tell whether a given place was an appropriate place to derflonk? Yes, it is very easy to tell where the appropriate place(s) is/are, and where they aren't

In statement 2, would the parents tell their child not to do it because the child might get in trouble/arrested? Yes, and...Because it could be physically dangerous? ...this, but...Because it is somehow adult in nature? ...no, not this, it's actually quite the opposite.
Is there something about derflonking that makes children particularly likely to copy it if they see it? I would say yes, very much so

Would one get arrested for derflonking because it damages property? No, not directly, but it could lead to this (see below)
has the potential to injure a person physically? Yes, possibly more than one person, and...impedes some important activity performed by someone else?...it also does this.

Does derflonking involve interacting Yes, indirectly with an object? No, not an object
If so, is it one that the derflonker possesses? N/A or one in the surrounding environment? The surrounding environment is relevant, but there isn't exactly an object present
Is the object relevantly modified in state after derflonking relative to before? Well there's no real object directly involved, but many objects could be indirectly involved, and it is possible that some of them may be modified if the derflonk happens in an unauthorized area

Does derflonking make a sound? The action itself doesn't, but explore this a bit
as cool as it sounds like it does? (J/K, mostly, on that last one!) Although the action itself wouldn't produce much sound, it would almost certainly cause certain other sounds to be made
CoffeeBean

Postby GalFisk » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:20 am

Nudity relevant? Walking? Is the danger death? Injury? Danger to others? Falling down relevant? Traffic? Water? Swimming? Eating? Fire? Could people derflonk 1000 years ago? Can animals derflonk? If so, do they?
GalFisk

Postby Enjay » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:31 pm

Is derflonking potentially dangerous to the derflonker? To someone else?

Can one derflonk alone? Does it involve interacting with others?

Does derflonking require the person doing it to be visible to others?

Is it some kind of prank? Or stunt?

Would you suggest that anyone should derflonk in an appropriate place? Was there something specific about the person you suggested should do it that made you think they should do it? If a person deflonks appropriately, would this make them happy? Amuse them? Bring them a tangible gain? Change other's opinions of them?

When you suggested that someone should do it, were you meaning they should do it in an appropriate place? Did you have a particular place in mind?
Enjay

Postby CoffeeBean » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:18 pm

Nudity relevant? I'm surprised nobody asked this already - no, it's not
Walking? Partially, yes Is the danger death? Injury? Danger to others? All of these are possible, yes
Falling down relevant? No Traffic? Yes Water? No Swimming? No Eating? No Fire? No
Could people derflonk 1000 years ago? Yes, even as far back as 2000 years ago (I just learned this)
Can animals derflonk? Certain animals could do it, sure If so, do they? I've never seen one do it, but it would be even more fun to see than a person doing it

Is derflonking potentially dangerous to the derflonker? To someone else? Poses potential dangers to both

Can one derflonk alone? Sure Does it involve interacting with others? It could, both directly and indirectly

Does derflonking require the person doing it to be visible to others? YES

Is it some kind of prank? No, you wouldn't call it this Or stunt? Yes, using the Oxford definition - "Something unusual done to attract attention."

Would you suggest that anyone should derflonk in an appropriate place? Yes, only in a place where it's legal to do so
Was there something specific about the person you suggested should do it that made you think they should do it? Not really, it was more of a "Someone should do this" kind of open challenge. But there are only certain kinds of people who would do it.
If a person deflonks appropriately, would this make them happy? Probably Amuse them? Almost certainly Bring them a tangible gain? Not likely, but I guess there's a chance of this Change other's opinions of them? Well, depending on the person who did it, this act would either confirm what others already believe about them, or surprise others

When you suggested that someone should do it, were you meaning they should do it in an appropriate place? Yes
Did you have a particular place in mind? Yes. I have made this suggestion to my wife after being in a specific area in my city where this thing can be done. When I made the suggestion to others, they understood that there are particular, specific areas in other parts of the world where this can be done safely and legally.
CoffeeBean

Postby biograd » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:08 pm

So cars and traffic are involved? but the derflonker is walking as opposed to driving?

Does derflonking involve somehow impersonating an authority figure (a cop, someone directing traffic)? manipulating street signs? running between moving vehicles a la Frogger?

In the places where it's safe and legal, does it involve bumper cars instead of real cars? some other amusement park vehicles? non-motorized vehicles (shopping carts, baby strollers, etc.)?
biograd

Postby CoffeeBean » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:18 pm

So cars and traffic are involved? but the derflonker is walking as opposed to driving? All correct

Does derflonking involve somehow impersonating an authority figure (a cop, someone directing traffic)? No manipulating street signs? No
running between moving vehicles a la Frogger? No

In the places where it's safe and legal, does it involve bumper cars instead of real cars? No, it only involves real cars
some other amusement park vehicles? non-motorized vehicles (shopping carts, baby strollers, etc.)? It wouldn't be possible to derflonk among these kind of vehicles, as far as I know.
CoffeeBean

Postby SurfingPikachu » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:31 pm

I notice that derflonking sounds like honking. Relevant?
SurfingPikachu

Postby CoffeeBean » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:41 pm

I notice that derflonking sounds like honking. Relevant? A pure coincidence
CoffeeBean

Postby Enjay » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Does one derflonk on a road? Near a road?

Would one be standing up while derflonking? Walking? Running? Lying down? Sitting?

Does whether or not derflonking is appropriate depend on the level of traffic? The speed the traffic is going?
Enjay

Postby CoffeeBean » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Does one derflonk on a road? Yes Near a road? Not really, this wouldn't fit the definition

Would one be standing up while derflonking? Yes Walking? Maybe Running? Probably not Lying down? This is a possibility, and would be great to see Sitting? Not likely

Does whether or not derflonking is appropriate depend on the level of traffic? No, only one thing about traffic is important
The speed the traffic is going? Yes, this is part of what determines whether or not the derflonk is legal
CoffeeBean

Postby Enjay » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:56 pm

Are any of the following relevant:

The direction of the traffic? Whether the road is one-way or two-way?
The type of road (eg motorway)?
Traffic lights?
Junctions?
Road signs?
Whether there is a pavement?
The types of vehicles (cars, trucks etc) on the road?

Is derflonking related to doing something on foot that would normally be done in a car?

Does derflonking inconvenience drivers? Slow them down? Make them do something they wouldn't otherwise have done?

Does the derflonker need to be visible to drivers? To other people on foot?

Would one know if derflonking was legal by seeing a sign saying so? By being told? By seeing something else that lets them know it is legal? Or by the lack of something that would tell them it is illegal? Would one assume derflonking is legal in a particular place unless something says otherwise? WOuld one assume it is illegal unless shown otherwise?
Enjay

Postby SurfingPikachu » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:13 pm

Does it involve entertaining drivers and passengers? Such as singing to them? Or dancing? (Sounds so Bollywood)
SurfingPikachu

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:22 pm

Are any of the following relevant:

The direction of the traffic? Whether the road is one-way or two-way? Neither of these
The type of road (eg motorway)? Yes
Traffic lights? Yes
Junctions? Yes
Road signs? Yes
Whether there is a pavement? Not sure, but safe to assume pavement would be there
The types of vehicles (cars, trucks etc) on the road? No

Is derflonking related to doing something on foot Yes that would normally be done in a car? It's not possible to derflonk in a car

Does derflonking inconvenience drivers? Many would say this, yes
Slow them down? Yes, in a way Make them do something they wouldn't otherwise have done? Not really, they'd be doing it anyway, which is why I made the suggestion that someone should derflunk

Does the derflonker need to be visible to drivers? Yes (but this would be the case anyway) To other people on foot? N/R

Would one know if derflonking was legal by seeing a sign saying so? Yes By being told? Maybe, if they weren't familiar with the location
By seeing something else that lets them know it is legal? Yes, very possible and quite likely Or by the lack of something that would tell them it is illegal? Sure Would one assume derflonking is legal in a particular place unless something says otherwise? Yes, and I can't think of any reason why it would ever be illegal if done in the authorized area Would one assume it is illegal unless shown otherwise? Hard to answer this, but a reasonable person has no reason to assume that derflonking is illegal in certain areas based on two things they would see in these areas (good q)
CoffeeBean

Postby SurfingPikachu » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:45 pm

Did you miss my questions?
SurfingPikachu

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:55 pm

Sorry I missed these...

Does it involve entertaining drivers and passengers? Yes, at least the derflonker would say that it does
Such as singing to them? Maybe, but for sure...Or dancing?...this! (Sounds so Bollywood)
CoffeeBean

Postby SurfingPikachu » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Ok, so it is dancing to entertain drivers and passengers in a traffic jam? In a carpark?
SurfingPikachu

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:33 pm

Ok, so it is dancing to entertain drivers and passengers Yes, but not...in a traffic jam?...this (as this would probably be considered illegal because of one particular thing) In a carpark? No
CoffeeBean

Postby Enjay » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:32 pm

Is it dancing across a crossing? When cars are stopped at lights?
Enjay

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:48 pm

Is it dancing across a crossing? When cars are stopped at lights? Yes, at stop lights and/or pedestrian crosswalks!

** SPOILER **

At a local grocery store, pedestrians are at risk because many drivers do not stop at the designated crosswalks so that people can safely get from the parking area to the building. This annoys me, because legally the pedestrian always has the right of way. There are other places in town where pedestrians are at risk when crossing at clearly marked areas because drivers do not stop as they are legally supposed to.

So I made the suggestion, first to my wife and then as a post on social media, that pedestrians should take full advantage of crossing when drivers stop at the crosswalks. The way they should do this is by performing some kinds of creative dance moves as they cross. After all, drivers are legally required to stop and allow people to cross, so that time should be enjoyed as much as possible. After all, if a person tried to dance across a road where there was not a legal crosswalk area, that person risks his life and lives of people in vehicles who may swerve or stop to avoid hitting the person. In recent months, a person was killed while crossing the road very close to the store I mentioned because there was no pedestrian crosswalk there, the person was attempting to run between vehicles while crossing illegally.

The puzzle title, which no one asked about, refers to two scenes from movies - Drew (Barrymore) from 'Charlie's Angels' when she beats up several guys and then dances her way out of the room, and Bruce (Willis) in the movie 'Blind Date' when he forces a guy to tap dance and perform a moonwalk.

Good work! Hopefully someone who reads this will derflonk at the next possible opportunity!
CoffeeBean

Postby biograd » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:00 pm

I suppose that the dance moves should be entertaining, but brief. One doesn't want to take forever to cross, frustrate the people who are considerate enough to obey the crosswalk, and create more of a problem than already exists.
biograd

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles