[Balin] I feel the temperature rising

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] I feel the temperature rising

Postby Balin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:51 pm

If Nicolette had not been sick, she would have died. Why?
Nicolette = H/A/F
Balin

Re: [Balin] I feel the temperature rising

Postby Enjay » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:59 pm

She=Nicolette? If not, she =H/A/F?

Is it relevant exactly what illness Nicolette had? Is any treatment for her illness relevant? Did she not go somewhere because of her illness?

Would she have dies of illness? Accident? Murder? Natural disaster? Suicide?
Enjay

Postby SurfingPikachu » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:43 am

Does the particular shape of a certain body part of hers prevent her from contracting a certain insect-borne life-threatening disease that causes high fevers?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Balin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:41 am

She=Nicolette? Yes If not, she =H/A/F?

Is it relevant exactly what illness Nicolette had? Yes Is any treatment for her illness relevant? Yes Did she not go somewhere because of her illness? She did not relevantly not go anywhere

Would she have dies of illness? Accident? Murder? This Natural disaster? Suicide?

Does the particular shape of a certain body part of hers prevent her from contracting a certain insect-borne life-threatening disease that causes high fevers? No, and I have no idea what this means...
Balin

Postby Earnest » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:12 am

To be sure we are speaking of quite modern times? If Nicolette got sick today would she receive the same treatment for the disease? Or are old treatment like electroconvulsive therapy involved?
Is the illness mostly related to a specific part of her body? Is it evident for who is watching Nicolette that she is sick? Or is it more like a mental disease? After the treatment was she healed?

Did she die at the end due to the illness?That is ... she would have died means: she would have died "earlier" or "she would have died in absolute"?

Relevant who wanted to kill her and the reason why? Was the one who wanted to kill her aware of her illness? Did he/she thought that Nicolette would have died for the disease? Did he/she NOT commit the murder for fear to be infected by the disease? (something like plague) Did he/she NOT commit the murder because of the therapy applied to Nicolette? Did the potential murderer have the possibility to kill Nicolette after the therapy had been applied to her?
Did Nicolette meet her potential murderer when she got seek and infected him/her?

WAG---> did the murder try to poison Nicolette but she was getting a specific medicine that enabled her to survive?
Earnest

Postby SurfingPikachu » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:46 pm

I was guessing if she had sickle-cell anemia that prevented her from dying to malaria, which incidentally causes high fevers, referencing your title. It is the standard high-school textbook example (at least in my country) of a disease providing resistance to an even more dangerous one. It sounded like the obvious guess, and I was worried that it might actually be the answer, so I phrased my question obliquely. Seems like it was just a coincidence!
SurfingPikachu

Postby Enjay » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Is the method she would have been murdered relevant? Stabbed? Shot? Poisoned? Pushed off something? Strangled?

Did someone still attempt to murder her, but failed because she had been sick? Did she avoid the whole situation where she would have been murdered?

Was she still sick at the point when she would have died?

Did the treatment relevantly involve medication? Diet? A cream? An injection? Radiotherapy? Chemotherapy? A physical thing like a back brace? Are any treatment side effects relevant?
Enjay

Postby Balin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:10 pm

To be sure we are speaking of quite modern times? Yes, but this could actually work (with some variation) in centuries past If Nicolette got sick today would she receive the same treatment for the disease? The puzzle does take place in modern times Or are old treatment like electroconvulsive therapy involved? Yes, but not even close to that example
Is the illness mostly related to a specific part of her body? Not really Is it evident for who is watching Nicolette that she is sick? Explain, please? Or is it more like a mental disease? No After the treatment was she healed? Not immediately

Did she die at the end due to the illness? No That is ... she would have died means: she would have died "earlier" or "she would have died in absolute"? Explain, please?

Relevant who wanted to kill her and the reason why? Somewhat Was the one who wanted to kill her aware of her illness? No Did he/she thought that Nicolette would have died for the disease? No Did he/she NOT commit the murder for fear to be infected by the disease? No (something like plague) No Did he/she NOT commit the murder because of the therapy applied to Nicolette? Yes Did the potential murderer have the possibility to kill Nicolette after the therapy had been applied to her? No
Did Nicolette meet her potential murderer when she got seek and infected him/her? No

WAG---> did the murder try to poison Nicolette but she was getting a specific medicine that enabled her to survive? No

I was guessing if she had sickle-cell anemia that prevented her from dying to malaria, which incidentally causes high fevers, referencing your title. It is the standard high-school textbook example (at least in my country) of a disease providing resistance to an even more dangerous one. It sounded like the obvious guess, and I was worried that it might actually be the answer, so I phrased my question obliquely. Seems like it was just a coincidence! I never even considered that. Really clever idea though!

Is the method she would have been murdered relevant? A little bit Stabbed? This Shot? Poisoned? Pushed off something? Strangled?

Did someone still attempt to murder her, but failed because she had been sick? Yes Did she avoid the whole situation where she would have been murdered? No

Was she still sick at the point when she would have died? Yes

Did the treatment relevantly involve medication? Diet? A cream? An injection? Radiotherapy? Chemotherapy? A physical thing like a back brace? None of these, with an -ish to Medication Are any treatment side effects relevant? No
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:22 am

Did she get stabbed? Was an attempt made to stab her? Did the would-be murderer stab a bandage, cast, medical device or similar?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:11 am

Did she get stabbed? No Was an attempt made to stab her? Um... the would-be murderer got as far as threatening to kill her at knifepoint Did the would-be murderer stab a bandage, cast, medical device or similar? No; sadly Nicolette is not William Seward
Balin

Postby trebor » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Did the would-be murderer have a reaction to the medication(-ish) Nicole was taking? Is Nicole a HAF? Is the murderer a HA? Gender relevant? Relevant where the murder would've taken place? If so, in a hospital? Doctor's office? Nicole's home? The murderer's home? At either of their places of work?

Did Nicole have a common illness? One that typically does not require going to a doctor? Like a cold? The flu? A fever? A cough? Had she applied some sort of topical treatment? Was she using alternative methods to treat her illness?
trebor

Postby Balin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:30 am

Did the would-be murderer have a reaction to the medication(-ish) Nicole was taking? Not in the sense you mean! Is Nicolette a HAF? Yes Is the murderer a HA? Yes Gender relevant? No Relevant where the murder would've taken place? Yes If so, in a hospital? Doctor's office? Nicolette's home? This The murderer's home? At either of their places of work?

Did Nicolette have a common illness? Yes One that typically does not require going to a doctor? Like a cold? A bad cold The flu? A fever? A cough? Had she applied some sort of topical treatment? No Was she using alternative methods to treat her illness? Not like "alternative medicine," no
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:48 am

Did the potential murderer NOT kill Nicolette because someone else was coming? If so, in order to apply the therapy to Nicolette? Did the therapy mainly consist in a medicine to be ingested? Were there just Nicolette and his potential murder in N's house? (relevant the relation between N and his murder?)

Was the murder forced not to kill N? Or did he choose not to kill her? If so, relevant if he would have tried again after on?

Situation: a) Did she lie on a bed? Relevant? Was her in a particular room of her house? Relevant?
b) Can we assume that the murderer was in the same room as Nicolette with the knife? If so, did N notice him/her?
c) Did the murderer stab N?

Other hypotheses--> did the murder not have any interaction with N as soon as he noticed N taking that particular therapy? Was the murderer sick as well? Did the murderer decide not to stab N but to do something else to her? Like stealing something?
Had the murderer saved N's life for a specific aim? was the therapy N was taking the right one to cure the bad cold?

Was the murder aware that N was sick when he/she saw her taking the therapy? If so did he recognized the therapy and so the illness? I mean, after having seen the therapy was he/she aware that N had a bad cold? Or did he think N had a more serious illness?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:37 pm

Did the potential murderer NOT kill Nicolette because someone else was coming? No If so, in order to apply the therapy to Nicolette? Did the therapy mainly consist in a medicine to be ingested? Were there just Nicolette and her potential murder in N's house? Yes (relevant the relation between N and her murder?) No

Was the murder forced not to kill N? This Or did he choose not to kill her? If so, relevant if he would have tried again after on? He still wanted to kill her, but he was unable to

Situation: a) Did she lie on a bed? Not during the course of the puzzle Relevant? Somewhat Was her in a particular room of her house? Yes Relevant? Yes
b) Can we assume that the murderer was in the same room as Nicolette with the knife? Yes If so, did N notice him/her? Yes
c) Did the murderer stab N?

Other hypotheses--> did the murder not have any interaction with N as soon as he noticed N taking that particular therapy? Was the murderer sick as well? Did the murderer decide not to stab N but to do something else to her? Like stealing something? No to all
Had the murderer saved N's life for a specific aim? No was the therapy N was taking the right one to cure the bad cold? It would help, yes

Was the murder aware that N was sick when he/she saw her taking the therapy? He didn't see her take it! If so did he recognized the therapy and so the illness? I mean, after having seen the therapy was he/she aware that N had a bad cold? Or did he think N had a more serious illness?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:27 pm

He still wanted to kill her, but he was unable to--> you mean physically unable? Like paralyzed? Was the murderer injured somehow? Was him afraid of something? Scared? Or was N able to run away and he was unable to catch her? Did he fall?

Was her in a particular room of her house? Yes Relevant? Yes--> bathroom? Kitchen? Attic? Laundry? Dining room? Bedroom? Living room?

did N notice him/her? Yes--> was the murderer able to see N? Was N doing a shower? Was N standing still? Did the therapy consist in using nebulizer? In eating a pill? Did the therapy required the use of some relevant item? Something that could be found in a kitchen? Something that could be used as a weapon?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:36 am

He still wanted to kill her, but he was unable to--> you mean physically unable? Yes Like paralyzed? Was the murderer injured somehow? This Was him afraid of something? Scared? Or was N able to run away and he was unable to catch her? Did he fall?
Was her in a particular room of her house? Yes Relevant? Yes--> bathroom? Kitchen? This Attic? Laundry? Dining room? Bedroom? Living room?
did N notice him/her? Yes--> was the murderer able to see N? Yes Was N doing a shower? Was N standing still? At one point Did the therapy consist in using nebulizer? In eating a pill? Did the therapy required the use of some relevant item? Yes Something that could be found in a kitchen? Yes Something that could be used as a weapon? Theoretically but in this case it wasn't

All unanswered are No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:17 am

Relevant item--> an electrical appliance commonly found in a kitchen? Like a fridge? Cooker? Oven? Or something smaller? Like dishes? Pots? Something to clean up the rooms?

Did she need to heat up something? To cool something?

Was the murderer injured somehow? This--> did he injured with the relevant item? Did he injured while taking the knife? Was him injured by N or did he injured himself alone? did he burned a part of his body (an hand?)? Is electric shocks relevant? Maybe due to the fact that the knife was iron made? Is a slippery floor relevant? did she need boiled water? If so was it evident that the water was hot? Did N turn off the light? Relevant where the murderer found with respect to N when he injured? Were him in a different position would he have injured as well?

Did the murderer take the knife in the kitchen or did he already have it when he entered the kitchen (supposing that he was not already in the kitchen, right?)?

So...was there something between the murderer and N (e.g. a wire, a cable)? If so, did he noticed it?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Was Nicolette using a hot water bottle? Given that the would-be murderer didn't fall, did he slip? Is water on the floor or counter relevant? Did Nicolette purposely do something with whatever she was using to treat her cold to injure/disarm/escape him? Had the conditions for the would-be murderer to be injured already been completely created by the time he entered the kitchen?
trebor

Postby Balin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:33 am

Relevant item--> an electrical appliance commonly found in a kitchen? Wouldn't call it an "appliance" Like a fridge? Cooker? Oven? None of these Or something smaller? Like dishes? Pots? A little smaller than a pot Something to clean up the rooms? No

Did she need to heat up something? This To cool something?

Was the murderer injured somehow? This--> did he injured with the relevant item? No Did he injured while taking the knife? No Was him injured by N or did he injured himself alone? By Nicolette did he burned a part of his body (an hand?)? No Is electric shocks relevant? No Maybe due to the fact that the knife was iron made? No Is a slippery floor relevant? No did she need boiled water? YES If so was it evident that the water was hot? Yes Did N turn off the light? No Relevant where the murderer found with respect to N when he injured? Yes Were him in a different position would he have injured as well? Less likely

Did the murderer take the knife in the kitchen or did he already have it when he entered the kitchen (supposing that he was not already in the kitchen, right?)? Either. Presume he brought it with him

So...was there something between the murderer and N (e.g. a wire, a cable)? If so, did he noticed it? No to both

Was Nicolette using a hot water bottle? No Given that the would-be murderer didn't fall, did he slip?No Is water on the floor or counter relevant? Neither, but see above Did Nicolette purposely do something with whatever she was using to treat her cold to injure/disarm/escape him? No Had the conditions for the would-be murderer to be injured already been completely created by the time he entered the kitchen? I'm giving this a tentative Yes
Balin

Postby Earnest » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:22 am

Did N simply fake not to have noticed the murderer and throw the hot water on his face when he was close enough?

Did she used boiled water to injure the murderer ?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Did N simply fake not to have noticed the murderer and throw the hot water on his face when he was close enough?
Did she used boiled water to injure the murderer? No to both, but boiling water is relevant
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:39 am

Did she use the pressure provoked by boiling water? Did she exploit boiled water because of its "hotness"? Was there sonething relevant in the water? Was the water about to boil? Already boiled? Relevant? Did she use the fire of the cooker?

Did she throw the water on the floor? On an electric item?

Are the properties of water while boiling relevant for what she did? Like in chemistry?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:22 pm

Did she use the pressure provoked by boiling water? Indirectly Did she exploit boiled water because of its "hotness"? See previous Was there something relevant in the water? No
Was the water about to boil? Already boiled? In the process of boiling Relevant? Yes
Did she use the fire of the cooker? No

Did she throw the water on the floor? On an electric item? Neither

Are the properties of water while boiling relevant for what she did? Yes; pressure Like in chemistry?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:42 pm

Pressure cookers relevant? "Explosions" due to pressure?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Pressure cookers relevant? "Explosions" due to pressure? Neither
Balin

Postby Earnest » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:00 am

was the murderer in from of N? Being her? Near her? On a side with respect to her?
Can we assume that they were at the sea level? (normal boiling of water)
Were the water before/right after the boiling process, would she be able to injure the murderer? If not because she needed the exact pressure reached by the boiling water? Or because the process of boiling suggested something to N (e.g. that a certain temperature had been reached?) Did the water boil in a pot with a cover? Without a cover? Relevant?

Was the water artificially heated up (e.g. with a cooker)?

Did N relevantly scream? Were the murderer eardrums injured?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:17 pm

was the murderer in from of N? They were facing each other Being her? Near her? On a side with respect to her?
Can we assume that they were at the sea level? (normal boiling of water) Sure
Were the water before/right after the boiling process, would she be able to injure the murderer? No If not because she needed the exact pressure reached by the boiling water? Yes Or because the process of boiling suggested something to N (e.g. that a certain temperature had been reached?) No
Did the water boil in a pot with a cover? Not a "pot"... Without a cover? Relevant? [b}Yes[/b]

Was the water artificially heated up (e.g. with a cooker)? Yes, but not with a cooker

Did N relevantly scream? No Were the murderer eardrums injured? No
Balin

Postby Balin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:17 pm

was the murderer in from of N? They were facing each other Being her? Near her? On a side with respect to her?
Can we assume that they were at the sea level? (normal boiling of water) Sure
Were the water before/right after the boiling process, would she be able to injure the murderer? No If not because she needed the exact pressure reached by the boiling water? Yes Or because the process of boiling suggested something to N (e.g. that a certain temperature had been reached?) No
Did the water boil in a pot with a cover? Not a "pot"... Without a cover? Relevant? [b}Yes[/b]

Was the water artificially heated up (e.g. with a cooker)? Yes, but not with a cooker

Did N relevantly scream? No Were the murderer eardrums injured? No
Balin

Postby trebor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:22 am

Was the water heated in a pan? Something for making tea? Coffee? Was she making a home remedy for a cold? Chicken noodle soup?

Correct me if I've missed it, but I can't see that we've established what injury the would-be murderer sustained, other than that he was not burned. Was he stabbed? Punctured? Blinded? Did he break one of his bones? Did the hand he was holding the knife in get chopped off? Was part of him crushed? Was he killed? Did he have a cardiac event? Does the thing N was using to heat the water do something when the pressure reaches a certain point? (Like how on electric kettles the switch flicks down, or whatever, to let you know that it's ready to go?) Did N have to do anything to harness the pressure? Did part of the cooking instrument fly off as a result of the pressure?

It's the terror of knowing what this world is about...
trebor

Postby Earnest » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:06 am

Not really an expert of this...but I know that there is a kind of teapot which throws out steam (hope the translation is right) with a sort of whistle when the boiling pressure is reached. Is it possible that N used the emission of steam of the teapot against the muderer?

I mean this..sorry gor the italian https://www.google.it/search?client=ms- ... lM5n9yFvvs
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:02 am

Was the water heated in a pan? Something for making tea? This (see below), and she was making tea. No to restCoffee? Was she making a home remedy for a cold? Chicken noodle soup?

Correct me if I've missed it, but I can't see that we've established what injury the would-be murderer sustained, other than that he was not burned. That's correct
Was he stabbed? Punctured? Blinded? Did he break one of his bones? Yes Did the hand he was holding the knife in get chopped off? No, but OTRT Was part of him crushed? Was he killed? Did he have a cardiac event?
Does the thing N was using to heat the water do something when the pressure reaches a certain point? Yes, see below (Like how on electric kettles the switch flicks down, or whatever, to let you know that it's ready to go?) Not specificially this Did N have to do anything to harness the pressure? No Did part of the cooking instrument fly off as a result of the pressure? No

It's the terror of knowing what this world is about... dun dun dun du-du-dun DUN

Not really an expert of this...but I know that there is a kind of teapot which throws out steam (hope the translation is right) with a sort of whistle when the boiling pressure is reached. It's called a kettle, and Yes! Is it possible that N used the emission of steam of the teapot against the muderer? Indirectly...
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:53 am

Did she use the steam of the kettle so that the murderer wasn't able to see clearly? Is the sound made by the kettle relevant? Like it distracted the attention of the murderer...

So, did the murderer break his hand's bones? Relevant where the kettle was heated up? On a table? Did the murderer see the kettle?
Did he break his bones by falling? Do we have all elements to understand how he broke his bones or do we miss some other item/element?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Is the sound made by the kettle relevant? Like it distracted the attention of the murderer... This is what I was looking for.

****SPOILER****

The would-be murderer had broken into Nicolette's house and held her at knifepoint, but just before the break-in, Nicolette, who was sick, had started boiling water in a kettle to make tea. When the water boiled and the kettle whistled, the killer turned his head to see what the noise was, allowing Nicolette to knock the knife out of his hand (breaking his wrist) and subdue him.
Balin

Re: [Balin] I feel the temperature rising (*FINAL WHISTLE*)

Postby Earnest » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:34 pm

I was ready to play the ace in the hole, which was....N is a boxeur ahahahah

very nice Balin. Many thanks :)
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles