[solong] It's the spirit that counts

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[solong] It's the spirit that counts

Postby Solong » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:36 pm

Henry spoke clearly and with animation.
So did Thomas and Kate.
Most of the others could only hold their jaws.
Henry & Thomas - H/A/M's. Kate - H/A/F. Others - mostly H/A/M.
Solong

Re: [solong] It's the spirit that counts

Postby Earnest » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:00 pm

I am sorry...I don't understand the meaning of "hold their jaws"...does it mean like teeth grinding?

Are they doing a game? Is "hold their jaws" a reaction to what kate thomas and henry told? Were kate thomas and henry making a conferwnce? Did they talk all together or one after the other? Following a specific order? Were they standing while the others were seating ? Relevant if henry kate and thomas were in a different position wuth respect to the others? On a stage? Were they talking with a microphone? Laugh? Were they talking to the others? Were thomas henry kate and the others in the same room?
Earnest

Postby SurfingPikachu » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:07 pm

"hold their jaws" = surprised? If so, do they not expect HTK to speak clearly and with animation? Or are they surprised at the content being spoken?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Solong » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:44 pm

I am sorry...I don't understand the meaning of "hold their jaws". Literal, physical meaning. ..does it mean like teeth grinding? If any occurred, n.r.

Are they doing a game?No, but might be something to explore here. Is "hold their jaws" a reaction to what kate thomas and henry told? Were kate thomas and henry making a conferwnce? No to both. Did they talk all together or one after the other? One at a time. Following a specific order? Yes, but do not be misled. Were they standing while the others were seating ? Relevant if henry kate and thomas were in a different position wuth respect to the others? No or n.r. On a stage? YES. Were they talking with a microphone? Laugh? n.r. Were they talking to the others? Yessish. Were thomas henry kate and the others in the same room? In the same area, yes.
Solong

Postby Solong » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:47 pm

"hold their jaws" = surprised? No.If so, do they not expect HTK to speak clearly and with animation? No, this was expected. Or are they surprised at the content being spoken? No.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:55 pm

to be sure...was it in modern times? Renaissance?

so were H, T, K acting? hold the jaws = like a gesture when someone is thinking?Like H,T and K were telling something interesting or complicated? Or like most of them did not understand/did not listen what H,T and K were saying? an involuntary gesture? A gesture in response to something? A reaction? Were H and T on the stage when K was talking? Same question for H and T. Relevant? Were H,K and T on television and the others not in the same room as them, would they hold the jaws as well?

In any case...assuming H,T and K were acting, was it in a theatre? were they performing a comedy? A drama? Was it an audition? Were H,T and K speaking the same language of the audience? Relevant what H,T and K said?

Hold their jaws = bored? Astonished? Interested? Suspicious? Did they want to communicate something to H,K or T? (like for instance one of them had a false beard that was about to fall and they hold their jaws in order to say the actor the deed). Did they continuously hold their jaws? For a long time? Or did they "repeat" the gesture of holding their jaws from time to time? For a short time?

WAG--> was it in Renaissance in UK when just men were allowed to perform on a stage so that hearing the voice of K the audience was astonished/surprised that she was a woman?
Earnest

Postby SurfingPikachu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:32 pm

Were they all in the same capacity (roughly speaking), except that HTK were able to speak and the others were just able to hold their jaws?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Solong » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:39 pm

to be sure...was it in modern times? Renaissance? puzzle is in modern times, play is Ren.

so were H, T, K acting? Yes. hold the jaws = like a gesture when someone is thinking?Like H,T and K were telling something interesting or complicated? Or like most of them did not understand/did not listen what H,T and K were saying? All no or n.r.an involuntary gesture? Let's say, a 'natural'' gesture. A gesture in response to something? Yessish, but do not be misled. A reaction? Were H and T on the stage when K was talking? Same question for H and T. Relevant? All n.r. Were H,K and T on television and the others not in the same room as them, would they hold the jaws as well? Not on TV, so n.r.

In any case...assuming H,T and K were acting, was it in a theatre? Yessish. were they performing a comedy? A drama? This, but n.r. Was it an audition? No. Were H,T and K speaking the same language of the audience?Yes. Relevant what H,T and K said? No. Nothing said by anybody is relevant.

Hold their jaws = bored? Astonished? Interested? Suspicious? Did they want to communicate something to H,K or T?No to all. (like for instance one of them had a false beard that was about to fall and they hold their jaws in order to say the actor the deed)....but there is an idea here that might be explored. Did they continuously hold their jaws? For a long time? Or did they "repeat" the gesture of holding their jaws from time to time? For a short time? Most likely from time to time, fpor a short period.

WAG--> was it in Renaissance in UK when just men were allowed to perform on a stage so that hearing the voice of K the audience was astonished/surprised that she was a woman? No.
Solong

Postby Solong » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:42 pm

Were they all in the same capacity (roughly speaking), except that HTK were able to speak and the others were just able to hold their jaws? No. Most of 'them' were able to and required to speak.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:01 pm

to be sure...were "the others" holding their jaws on the sage as well? were them actors? Or were them part of the audience?

so was "holding their jaws" a natural reaction? Like when pain is too high? Did the audience make a relevant noise when holding their jaws? Like screaming? Is holding their jaws necessary to avoid something? To prevent something to go out from their mouth? In holding their jaws were their mouths relevantly opened? Closed?
If me or you were in the same room as H,T and K would we also "hold our jaws"?

Did they hold their jaws with their hands (I mean the palm of their hands)? Did they hold their jaws when H,T or K made a relevant movement/gesture/sign?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:21 pm

to be sure...were "the others" holding their jaws on the sage as well? were them actors? Yes to both. Or were them part of the audience? No.

so was "holding their jaws" a natural reaction? Yes.Like when pain is too high?..but no physical pain was involved. Did the audience make a relevant noise when holding their jaws? Like screaming? The audience made no relevant noise. They were not screaming. If they were laughing, they shouldn't have been - this was a serious play.Is holding their jaws necessary to avoid something? Yeeesss... To prevent something to go out from their mouth?No. In holding their jaws were their mouths relevantly opened? Closed? Their mouths were open or closed, depending on if they were speaking or not, so n.r.
If me or you were in the same room as H,T and K would we also "hold our jaws"? Only if we were actors in the play.

Did they hold their jaws with their hands (I mean the palm of their hands)? YesDid they hold their jaws when H,T or K made a relevant movement/gesture/sign? No.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:53 am

is holding their jaws necessary to avoid something? Yeeesss... --> natural reaction to prevent something to fall? Were them relevantly masked? Maybe H, T and K talked too much and a part of their costume was falling? Others = 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, more?

Did H,T or K say something wrong? Did they fail in following the scripts so that in order to avoid incoherences with the plot they ad the same idea to hold their jaws?
Did the others hold their jaws as a part of the scene they were performing? Is electronic relevant? (I am thinking of something like they had an auricular an someone screamed)

In doing that were them bored? could the audience see them ( I mean not just see their shadows but them)? If so, had the audience not seen them, would it be necessary for them to hold their jaws? If not, did they hold their jaws to avoid that the public discover something? was holding their jaws part of the scene they needed to perform? In holding their jaws did they sustain something else? Did they somehow cover themselves? Cover their faces? Did they hold their jaws at the end of K, H or T's speeches? At the beginning?
Earnest

Postby SurfingPikachu » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:09 pm

Hold their jaws with their hands? Or just hold their jaws as in keep their jaws motionless?
Apart from holding their jaws, did they also remain completely motionless?
Was the purpose to act out being unable to speak or move? Or is it just that it wasn't their turn to speak?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Solong » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:12 am

is holding their jaws necessary to avoid something? Yeeesss... --> natural reaction to prevent something to fall? Yes!Were them relevantly masked? DOYD of 'masked.' Maybe H, T and K talked too much No. and a part of their costume was falling? Whose costume? Not M,K, R, or T's Others = 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, more? About 20-30

Did H,T or K say something wrong? Did they fail in following the scripts so that in order to avoid incoherences with the plot they ad the same idea to hold their jaws? No to both.
Did the others hold their jaws as a part of the scene they were performing? No.Is electronic relevant? (I am thinking of something like they had an auricular an someone screamed) No to both.

In doing that were them bored? NO. could the audience see them ( I mean not just see their shadows but them)? If so, had the audience not seen them, would it be necessary for them to hold their jaws? Yes, as this was 'live' theater, the audience could see them, and this is relevant. If not, did they hold their jaws to avoid that the public discover something? Yessish. was holding their jaws part of the scene they needed to perform? No. In holding their jaws did they sustain something else? Yes, DOYD of 'sustain.' Did they somehow cover themselves? Cover their faces? Yes, but n.r. Did they hold their jaws at the end of K, H or T's speeches? At the beginning? n.r.
Solong

Postby Solong » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:15 am

Hold their jaws with their hands? Yes.Or just hold their jaws as in keep their jaws motionless? No.
Apart from holding their jaws, did they also remain completely motionless?
Was the purpose to act out being unable to speak or move? Or is it just that it wasn't their turn to speak? Holding their jaws was not related to whether they spoke or not. They were not motionless and/or speechless.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:06 am

Whose costume? of the 20-30 people?

did they hold their jaws like in the same moment? synchronized? Is the "something" whose fall is prevented by holding the jaws part of the play? Or e.g. part of their body like their head? Were them a choir? Relevant? In holding their jaws did they cover their mouths relevantly?

prevent something to fall--> something on their face? Something inside their mouth? On their cheeks? Make up? Costume?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Whose costume? of the 20-30 people? Yes, theirs.

did they hold their jaws like in the same moment? synchronized? No and no. Is the "something" whose fall is prevented by holding the jaws part of the play?Yope Or e.g. part of their body like their head? No. Were them a choir? Relevant? no, n.r. In holding their jaws did they cover their mouths relevantly? No, n.r.

prevent something to fall--> something on their face?YES Something inside their mouth?No. On their cheeks? Make up? Yes to both. Costume? DOYD 'costume'.
Solong

Postby Earnest » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:12 pm

were them sweat? Was the make-up somehow melting? Or did they need to spread the make up on their cheeks? Relevant if the make up was "fresh"? If they dirtied their hands with make up? Hadn't they hold their jaws, would the make-up have "fallen"? Did T,H or H relevantly touch them on the face while speaking so that they needed periodically to hold their jaws? E.g., H fake to slap one of the 20-30 actors so that the slapped actor fake to hold his cheek while in reality spreading the make-up all over his face.

Were them acting? I mean were them putting make up on their faces? If so, did they do that as a part of the scene? Relevant the color of the make up? Relevant in which period of the year the drama took place? Summer? Was the speech of H, K or T too long?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:33 pm

Just for my own clarity, who are the M and R referenced in a previous answer? Have we discovered people I've missed? Are they relevant people who haven't been discovered yet? I thought we had H, K, T, and O (others),

So was part of H's makeup falling? Were the others trying to alert him to this? Were K and T unable to? Possibly it would've been impossible or inappropriate for the scene? Relevant specifically what part of his makeup was falling, other than that it was on his face? A beard? Moustache? (Not really makeup, but kind of.)
trebor

Postby Solong » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:12 pm

were them sweat? Was the make-up somehow melting? ;Yes to both. Or did they need to spread the make up on their cheeks? Relevant if the make up was "fresh"? If they dirtied their hands with make up? No or n.r. Hadn't they hold their jaws, would the make-up have "fallen"? Yessish Did T,H or H relevantly touch them on the face while speaking so that they needed periodically to hold their jaws? E.g., H fake to slap one of the 20-30 actors so that the slapped actor fake to hold his cheek while in reality spreading the make-up all over his face.No or n.r. to these.

Were them acting? Yes, everyone was acting. I mean were them putting make up on their faces? If so, did they do that as a part of the scene? They had applied makeup before the relevant scene(s).Relevant the color of the make up? No. Relevant in which period of the year the drama took place? Summer? Ir was Summer, and this is relevant.Was the speech of H, K or T too long? n.r.
Solong

Postby Solong » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:23 pm

Just for my own clarity, who are the M and R referenced in a previous answer? Not sure what is meant. I used the initials n and r to stand for 'not relevant.' They do not refer to any person. Have we discovered people I've missed? Are they relevant people who haven't been discovered yet? I thought we had H, K, T, and O (others), This is the cast of characters, yes.

So was part of H's makeup falling? No, H was perfectly fine. Were the others trying to alert him to this? ...so no. Were K and T unable to? Possibly it would've been impossible or inappropriate for the scene? Relevant specifically what part of his makeup was falling, other than that it was on his face? A beard? Moustache? Beard and/or moustache. (Not really makeup, but kind of.) Would it be considered a prop? or part of the costume? I dunno.

We have established that the people in this puzzle are actors in a play, It is summertime, and beards are involved I'm sure you can put it all together from here.

Katherine had no problems because she was a woman, but why were Henry and Thomas immune?
Solong

Postby biograd » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:35 pm

Did Henry and Thomas actually have real beards? while the other men had only fake ones?
biograd

Postby Earnest » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:50 am

they had no beard at all maybe? or they had no make-up? or as bigoted told, they had real beards...

It could be also, following the fact that it was important that they were seen by the audience, that the lights of the stage were addressed toward them and NOT toward H and the other guy?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:26 pm

Did Henry and Thomas actually have real beards? while the other men had only fake ones? Henry had a home-grown beard, Thomas was clean-shaven.
Solong

Postby Solong » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:36 pm

they had no beard at all maybe? or they had no make-up? or as bigoted told, they had real beards...Most of them had no beards offstage, so had to be 'made up' with false beards.

It could be also, following the fact that it was important that they were seen by the audience, that the lights of the stage were addressed toward them and NOT toward H and the other guy? [b]Not relevant, in this case.

This is all but at the finish line, so here is the
*************************SPOILER****************************
The setting is a Shakespeare in the Park type production of "Henry VIII." It was a hot summer day, and the spirit gum holding up the beards of some supporting players began to melt, causing their face foliage to slip The actor portraying Henry had his own beard, the one playing Thomas Wolsey was clean-shaven, as Wolsey was IRL, and of course Katherine had no problem.

Bio, Earnest, and SP, take a bow!
Solong

Postby SurfingPikachu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:42 pm

I was naught but a bit-part actor in this affair.

Also, yes, someone definitely did call someone else bigoted :lol:
SurfingPikachu

Postby Earnest » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:23 pm

ahahahahahah sorryyyyy biograd!!!! Is the automatic correction...I am really really sorry about that!

Thanks Solong for the puzzle and SP for having noticed the bigoted ;P
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:01 pm

Love it! Going to have to make a note of this one...
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles