[☠] I'll have a pint please... and a mop [☠]

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[☠] I'll have a pint please... and a mop [☠]

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:50 pm

Greetings, my fellow lateral lovers (there's an easily misinterpreted sentence)! I noticed there's been a bit of a death... sorry, a dearth of activity lately, and thought I might throw in a little something to liven things up. Make no bones about it, this'll be something to chew on, at any rate. With a bit of dogged determination, you could see this one dead and buried in a heartbeat.

I hope you don't mind all of this gentle ribbing - nobody, as of yet, has given me a sternum talking-to.

I remember a local establishment I used to frequent. One day, they pulled one of their best-selling products from the shelves and never sold it again. The item was still in production, there was no recall or reason for public concern, and demand hadn't decreased in a relevant fashion. What was it that prompted this move?

I didn't know the reason at the time, of course, but one thing about death is the happy availability of the eye-of-God technique. Reveals rather more than my own eyes ever did.
Last edited by Literally a Skeleton on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Literally a Skeleton

Re: [☠] I'll have a pint please... and a mop

Postby SurfingPikachu » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:00 am

Hello Mr. Skeleton! Or are you actually a femur? (Sorry for my bad humerus.) How is death treating you?

Was the motivation financially-related? Legally? Ethically? Were they simply unable to produce more for sale?

Were they making a loss with each sale? Not making enough profit when factoring in opportunity costs? Did they want to divert production resources or inventory space to another product, current or future, that they believed would be more profitable? Or perhaps avoid this product cannibalising another? Did they want to limit sales to increase exclusivity and thus price? Did the supply chain simply die?

While not having any public concerns, were there privately-known concerns? Safety concerns? Health? Environmental? Legal? Trademark or copyright or patent infringement?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Balin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:03 am

I'd question how you can type with no muscles, but I haven't the spine...

Was the "establishment" a single place of business? A company?
Did the establishment primarily serve customers? Sell to customers? Provide a service?
Balin

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:06 am

SurfingPikachu

I see you're a Pokemon. I've always found the habit of Cubones in wearing their deceased mother's skull as a helmet quite disturbing. It certainly makes me glad to have died childless.

Hello Mr. Skeleton! Or are you actually a femur? (Sorry for my bad humerus.) I confess, it is hard to tell. They do say we're all the same on the inside, and that's more or less true. These hips are not birthing hips, however. I will leave it at that. How is death treating you? Overall, it's not much of a culture shock. I still find myself walked all over by everyone I meet, and I'm still stuck in a shoebox London apartment that was bought at boggling expense. I have made some interesting friends, though. I was introduced to this site by a gentleman who died shortly after eating an albatross sandwich. He did wish people would shut up about his tragic fate and leave him in peace.

Was the motivation financially-related? Legally? yesish Ethically? no to rest Were they simply unable to produce more for sale? no

Were they making a loss with each sale? no Not making enough profit when factoring in opportunity costs? no Did they want to divert production resources or inventory space to another product, current or future, that they believed would be more profitable? no Or perhaps avoid this product cannibalising another? no Did they want to limit sales to increase exclusivity and thus price? no Did the supply chain simply die? no

While not having any public concerns, were there privately-known concerns? no Safety concerns? Health? Environmental? Legal? Trademark or copyright or patent infringement? No, therefore, to these

Balin

I'd question how you can type with no muscles, but I haven't the spine... I approve of your curious tendencies. Or perhaps it's your curious tendons, see. I've managed to hold on to one of the above.

Was the "establishment" a single place of business? yes A company? no
Did the establishment primarily serve customers? yes Sell to customers? yes Provide a service? no
Literally a Skeleton

Postby GalFisk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:09 am

Did they want to stop selling it? Did they always intend never to sell it again? Or was it meant to be a temporary measure at first? Is it food? Drink? A substance? A household object? Decorative? Flammable? Was it relevantly sold other places? Relevant what other things they continued to sell? Is the image of the establishment relevant? The owner? Employees? Customers? Did the customers use the item at the establishment? At home? In public? Was it disposable? Electronic? Made from wood? Glass? Ceramics? Plastic? Metal? Rubber? Skin/leather/fur? Bone/teeth/shell? Plant fibre? Fabric? Liquid? Gas? Glue/resin? Foam?
GalFisk

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:26 pm

Did they want to stop selling it? no Did they always intend never to sell it again? yes Or was it meant to be a temporary measure at first? no Is it food? yesish Drink? This, specifically A substance? Yes (of the potable, liquid variety) A household object? no Decorative? no Flammable? no Was it relevantly sold other places? no Relevant what other things they continued to sell? no, but explore this line Is the image of the establishment relevant? yes The owner? yes Employees? no Customers? yes Did the customers use the item at the establishment? no At home? yes In public? yes Was it disposable? yes Electronic? no Made from wood? no Glass? sometimes Ceramics? no Plastic? sometimes Metal? sometimes Rubber? no Skin/leather/fur? no Bone/teeth/shell? no Plant fibre? no Fabric? no Liquid? yes (largely) Gas? no Glue/resin? no Foam? no
Literally a Skeleton

Postby GalFisk » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:58 pm

Drink: any drink at all? Alcoholic drink? Bottled/canned water? Beer? Carbonated drink? Sugary drink? Health relevant? Littering? Recycling? Law and order?
GalFisk

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:03 pm

Drink: any drink at all? no Alcoholic drink? no Bottled/canned water? no Beer? no Carbonated drink? yes Sugary drink? yes Health relevant? no Littering? no Recycling? no Law and order? yes
Literally a Skeleton

Postby SurfingPikachu » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:56 am

Is the drink container (can? bottle?) relevant? Perhaps the material (aluminium? plastic? glass?) of the container? Shape?

Is the packaging or presentation or marketing relevant? e.g. it was marketed and presented as healthy? Is the ingredients list relevant?

Are taxes, tariffs, imports, exports relevant? Any international disputes relevant? Or purely local?
SurfingPikachu

Postby Balin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:07 am

Is the business a restaurant? Store? Bar/pub?
Balin

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:05 am

SurfingPikachu

Is the drink container (can? bottle?) relevant? no; as I am wont to say, it is what is on the inside that counts Perhaps the material (aluminium? plastic? glass?) of the container? no Shape? no

Is the packaging or presentation or marketing one aspect of marketing is relevant, although this answer may mislead relevant? e.g. it was marketed and presented as healthy? no; nothing along these lines Is the ingredients list relevant? no, with an almost imperceptible ish

Are taxes, tariffs, imports, exports relevant? no Any international disputes relevant? no Or purely local? no

Balin

Is the business a restaurant? no Store? yes Bar/pub? no
Literally a Skeleton

Postby Balin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm

Is the a brand of soda? An energy drink? Is it caffeinated?
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Is it relevant to know how long this store had been selling this product?
Did the store sell other similar products? Other products made by the same producer as the one they discontinued?
Did someone suggest or recommend that they cease selling this product?
Was the producer surprised that the store stopped selling the product? Or did the store's decision make sense to them?
Was the product replaced with a similar one? Were there several other products similar to this one?
Is the type of container in which the liquid was contained relevant?
Is the product's label relevant?
Did someone at the store foresee a future problem or concern with the product?
Did someone at the producer level foresee this?
CoffeeBean

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:28 pm

Balin

Is the a brand of soda? yes An energy drink? no Is it caffeinated? yes

CoffeeBean

Is it relevant to know how long this store had been selling this product? no
Did the store sell other similar products? yes Other products made by the same producer as the one they discontinued? yes
Did someone suggest or recommend that they cease selling this product? irrelevant
Was the producer surprised that the store stopped selling the product? Probably yes Or did the store's decision make sense to them? Difficult to answer - I doubt they fully explained their decision
Was the product replaced with a similar one? no Were there several other products similar to this one? yes
Is the type of container in which the liquid was contained relevant? no
Is the product's label relevant? yes!
Did someone at the store foresee a future problem or concern with the product? no
Did someone at the producer level foresee this? no
Literally a Skeleton

Postby GalFisk » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:05 am

Coca Cola? Pepsi Cola? Some other Cola? Urge? Was the label ugly? Offensive? Did it contain relevant words? Religious belief relevant? Religious symbols? Other symbols?
GalFisk

Postby Slameye » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:34 pm

Is the text/wording on the label relevant?
Name of product?
Image on label?
Color on label?
Was there not enough room on the shelves for i.e both Coca Cola Diet, Zero and Life so they discontinued one of them?
Did something happen to the owner that triggered the decision (daughter killed by falling crate of Diet Coke etc)?
Is it iced tea?
Slameye

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:53 pm

GalFisk

Coca Cola? yes Pepsi Cola? no Some other Cola? no Urge? no Was the label ugly? no Offensive? no Did it contain relevant words? yes Religious belief relevant? no Religious symbols? no Other symbols? no

Slameye

Is the text/wording on the label relevant? yes
Name of product? yes
Image on label? no
Color on label? no
Was there not enough room on the shelves for i.e both Coca Cola Diet, Zero and Life so they discontinued one of them? no
Did something happen to the owner that triggered the decision yes (daughter killed by falling crate of Diet Coke no etc.?)
Is it iced tea? no
Literally a Skeleton

Postby GalFisk » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:11 am

The text "Coca"? "Cola"? "Coca Cola"? "Coke"?
Is cocaine relevant? Is a misreading relevant? Is the typeface used for the Coca Cola logo relevant? The colors? The size of the writing? Different sorts of Coca Cola relevant?
GalFisk

Postby Slameye » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:31 pm

Just to be clear, it's regular Coca Cola (a.k.a "Classic") we're talking about?
Red label with white print and the wavy line?
Did the incident happen to the owner himself? Herself?
Did it happen to someone they know?
Family?
Friend?
Customer?
Employee?
Supplier or supplier employee?
Delivery person?
Someone other than this?
Was there spilling involved, hence the title?
Is the age of specific persons relevant in any way?
Slameye

Postby trebor » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Is it relevant that Coke has recently had that thing where you can get a bottle with your own name on it? Is the store owner's name relevant? Do the words "Coke" or "Coca-Cola" combined with other writing on the label cause the issue here?

Is anything personal about the owner relevant? Is the owner a HAM? Ethnicity relevant? Age? Familial relationships? Has anyone in his life relevantly died? Been injured? Been hired by Pepsi?
trebor

Postby trebor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:47 pm

Has someone the owner knows been arrested? Has the owner? Does the owner have a connection with the law somehow?
trebor

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:57 pm

GalFisk

The text "Coca"? "Cola"? "Coca Cola"? "Coke"? This
Is cocaine relevant? Yes! Is a misreading relevant? Not a 'misreading' per se, but ORT Is the typeface used for the Coca Cola logo relevant? The colors? The size of the writing? Different sorts of Coca Cola relevant? No to rest

Slameye

Just to be clear, it's regular Coca Cola (a.k.a "Classic") we're talking about? Correct
Red label with white print and the wavy line? Yes
Did the incident happen to the owner himself? Herself? Yes (Gender is irrelevant)
Did it happen to someone they know? Yes, to a less relevant extent
Family?
Friend?
Customer?
Employee?
Supplier or supplier employee? This
Delivery person?
Someone other than this?
Was there spilling involved, hence the title? No (it describes my regular order at my local)
Is the age of specific persons relevant in any way? No

Trebor

Is it relevant that Coke has recently had that thing where you can get a bottle with your own name on it? Is the store owner's name relevant? No to both Do the words "Coke" or "Coca-Cola" combined with other writing on the label cause the issue here? The issue isn't to do with a combination - but see my answer to GalFisk above re: 'Coke'

Is anything personal about the owner relevant? No Is the owner a HAM? Ethnicity relevant? Age? Familial relationships? Has anyone in his life relevantly died? Been injured? Been hired by Pepsi? No to all

Has someone the owner knows been arrested? Yes Has the owner? No Does the owner have a connection with the law somehow? No
Literally a Skeleton

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:02 pm

Did someone say something about "Coke" to the owner of the store? About delivering it? Buying it? Using it? Liking it? Not liking it?
CoffeeBean

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:42 am

Did someone say something about "Coke" to the owner of the store? This is too vague to answer, really. The decision was not prompted by someone making a remark about Coke. About delivering it? Buying it? Using it? Liking it? Not liking it?
Literally a Skeleton

Postby Balin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:28 pm

Was the relevant person (the supplier? owner?) arrested for cocaine usage (or distribution, or manufacture)? Was the person questioned for the same?
Was cocaine hidden or found in Coke bottles?
Balin

Postby Slameye » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Was the word misread? Misheard? Mispronounced?
Was the owner afraid of being arrested, charged etc with something? If yes, something he had or hadn't done?
Slameye

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:50 pm

Balin

Was the relevant person (the supplier? this owner?) arrested for cocaine usage (or distribution this, most relevantly, or manufacture)? Was the person questioned for the same? assume yes, not strictly relevant
Was cocaine hidden or found in Coke bottles? no

Slameye

Was the word misread? Misheard? Mispronounced? no/slight FA to all
Was the owner afraid of being arrested, charged etc with something? no; this is not what motivated the decision If yes, something he had or hadn't done? no
Literally a Skeleton

Postby trebor » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:38 am

Was the supplier actually guilty of distribution? Are gangs involved? Was there a mix-up over whether Coke or coke was supposed to be delivered?
trebor

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:55 am

Was the supplier actually guilty of distribution? yes Are gangs involved? irrelevant Was there a mix-up over whether Coke or coke was supposed to be delivered? no
Literally a Skeleton

Postby trebor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:39 am

Was the supplier distributing the cocaine on the business owner's property? Was the supplier attracting unwanted attention to the business? Was the owner guilty of any shady or illegal activity as well?
trebor

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:56 pm

Was the supplier distributing the cocaine on the business owner's property? no Was the supplier attracting unwanted attention to the business? yes Was the owner guilty of any shady or illegal activity as well? Aside from receiving and distributing the cocaine, no
Literally a Skeleton

Postby Balin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:23 am

Did the supplier specifically supply Coca-Cola to the store? Was the removal of the product simply to disassociate the store from the scandal?
Balin

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:27 am

Did the supplier specifically supply Coca-Cola to the store? no Was the removal of the product simply to disassociate the store from the scandal? no
Literally a Skeleton

Postby CoffeeBean » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:44 pm

Were people coming to the store wanting to get "Coke", but not the soda?
CoffeeBean

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:47 pm

So the store owner was guilty of distribution as well? Is it relevant how the Coke had been shipped to the store? Is it relevant how the cocaine was shipped? Was it in danger of being intercepted en route? Was the primary reason for stopping the flow of Coke wanting to avoid legal punishment?
trebor

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:45 pm

CoffeeBean

Were people coming to the store wanting to get "Coke", but not the soda? Yes! Many were. This is relevant.

Trebor

So the store owner was guilty of distribution as well? Yes Is it relevant how the Coke had been shipped to the store? no Is it relevant how the cocaine was shipped? no Was it in danger of being intercepted en route? no Was the primary reason for stopping the flow of Coke wanting to avoid legal punishment? No

I'm reading 'Coke' as 'Coca Cola' for all your examples, Trebor. Feel free to correct me if this was a bone-headed mistake.
Literally a Skeleton

Postby Balin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Was the owner trying to get rid of suspicious customers? By removing the Coke, would he be able to say "we don't sell Coke here any longer" with a double meaning, thus avoiding lying or sounding suspicious?
Balin

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:10 pm

Was the owner trying to get rid of suspicious customers? Not quite this, but explore By removing the Coke, would he be able to say "we don't sell Coke here any longer" with a double meaning, thus avoiding lying or sounding suspicious? Yes! This is the logic behind the decision. It wasn't to get rid of unwanted customers, however. Consider the fate of the supplier...
Literally a Skeleton

Postby Balin » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:37 pm

Was the supplier arrested? Charged? Convicted?
Balin

Postby trebor » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:17 am

Has the supplier exited the world of the living?
trebor

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:36 pm

Balin

Was the supplier arrested? yes Charged? Convicted? probably yes

Trebor

Has the supplier exited the world of the living? Ah, well, it was in fact he who let me know of what unfolded. We met up in a dirty establishment (a real low joint) and had a chingwag over a dry martini.

********** SPOILER **********

The business did a roaring trade in selling cocaine under the counter. The shop also happened to sell Coca-Cola as part of its legitimate operations. One day, the supplier was arrested, and the flow of cocaine ceased to the shopkeeper. However, the shopkeeper himself managed to avoid indictment. To inform his regular clients, but remain inconspicuous, Coca-Cola was pulled from the shelves, and the sign 'Sorry, we no longer sell Coke' was displayed in the window

Congratulations, Balin, and thank you everyone else for your contributions. Some very good questions from GalFisk and Trebor. A wise man once told me that he didn't like Cocaine, merely the smell. By now, it's rather too late for me to make such a judgment call.
Literally a Skeleton

Re: [☠] I'll have a pint please... and a mop [☠]

Postby WiZ » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:31 pm

A clever puzzle, and a well-worded question!
WiZ

Re: [☠] I'll have a pint please... and a mop [☠]

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:23 pm

Missed asking questions, but I like it!
Hobbsicle

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles