[Balin] Plenty of marlins in the sea

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Plenty of marlins in the sea

Postby Balin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:58 am

Because of a man's discrimination, the father became an animal.
Balin

Re: [Balin] Plenty of marlins in the sea

Postby GalFisk » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:57 am

A man: H? A?
Discrimination: unwarranted bad treatmemt of members of a group?
The father: H? A? Father of a H? C?
Animal: mammal? Primate?
Is a birth certificate relevant? Other official document? Other document?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:59 am

the father of the man? the father of someone else? Are nazis relevant? KKK? Racism?

man's discrimination = the man has been discriminated? The man discriminated someone? If so is the way he discriminated relevant? Offense? By preferring someone to someone else? Is the discrimination something like: black vs white? Did it concern the color of the skin? Religion?Culture? Relevant the man's profession?
WAG-->did he work as nurse in an hospital? Did he organize parties (or maybe living nativities) and made the father play the role of an animal in order to humiliate him?

became an animal --> literally? Metaphorically? e.g. he was considered an animal while been transported?

Was the father aware of being become an animal? Relevant that he was a father? Can we read the puzzle like: "because the man discriminated someone, then his father became an animal"? Or "because the man discriminated someone, a father became an animal"?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:46 pm

Became an animal as in started behaving brutishly, or something similar? Does this happen in the real world? In a fantasy world? Time period relevant?

Is the gender of the father's offspring relevant? Is the offspring's mother relevant?

Was the discrimination that the man had discriminating tastes? Did the man discriminate against the father's offspring? Against the father? Against the mother?
trebor

Postby Balin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:17 pm

A man: H? A? Yes
Discrimination: unwarranted bad treatmemt of members of a group? Yes
The father: H? A? Yes Father of a H? C? He does have children but that is actually Irrelevant to the puzzle.
FA

Animal: mammal? This Primate?
Is a birth certificate relevant? Other official document? Other document? None of these, but there is an element of these questions that is OTRT

the father of the man? No, FA the father of someone else? Yes, but see above, FA Are nazis relevant? KKK? Racism? None of these

man's discrimination = the man has been discriminated? The man discriminated someone? This
If so is the way he discriminated relevant? Yes Offense? By preferring someone to someone else? This
Is the discrimination something like: black vs white? It's an A vs B, but not this Did it concern the color of the skin? Religion? Culture? None of these Relevant the man's profession? Yes
WAG-->did he work as nurse in an hospital? Did he organize parties (or maybe living nativities) and made the father play the role of an animal in order to humiliate him? None of these

became an animal --> literally? Metaphorically? Neither, but there is a literal element to it e.g. he was considered an animal while been transported? No

Was the father aware of being become an animal? Yes Relevant that he was a father? Yes, possible FA Can we read the puzzle like: "because the man discriminated someone, then his father became an animal"? No Or "because the man discriminated someone, a father became an animal"? Yes

Became an animal as in started behaving brutishly, or something similar? No Does this happen in the real world? Yes, and it is a true story, so it did happen in the real world In a fantasy world? No Time period relevant? It might help. Around 1990

Is the gender of the father's offspring relevant? No, same FA Is the offspring's mother relevant? Same FA

Was the discrimination that the man had discriminating tastes? Explain? Did the man discriminate against the father's offspring? Against the father? This Against the mother?
Balin

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:26 am

I meant "discriminating taste" to be along the lines of being satisfied with only the best, in one's mind or according to an educated palate, in a particular field of interest. Discriminating not as in being against a group of people based on racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. ideology, but being against consumption of a lesser product or somesuch in a given field based on knowledge thereof. If that makes sense. And from your answers it looks like that question has been, uh...answered.

The fact that the father is a father is irrelevant? Could the father have had no children and the puzzle still have worked? Is he relevantly a father in another way? Like in the way that Charles Babbage is sometimes called the father of computers? Are the man and the father the same person? (I'm thinking of something like, "The child is father of the man.")

Is sexism relevant? Is it relevant what animal the father became? If so, a human? (I know the father was already a human, but who knows.) A domesticated animal? An animal endemic to North America? South America? Africa? Europe? Asia? Australia/Oceania? Antarctica? An animal with four legs? More? Fewer?
trebor

Postby Earnest » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:42 am

in terms of puzzle's relevance, father = he has a son or/and a daughter? Is the term father related to the children he already has or to the children that he could have potentially? Is artificial insemination relevant?

Does the man work in health care? Medicine? Does he work in a restaurant? Hospital? Is him a white/blue/pink collar?

Did the man choose A instead of B (or vice versa) after having seen them? After having seen their names? If so on a paper?
Was the choice of A and B related to a physical characteristic of them? I mean, the aim of the choice was to choose a father for a child? Is adoption relevant?

Neither, but there is a literal element to it--> did the man play with the letters in the father's name somehow?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:26 am

I meant "discriminating taste" to be along the lines of being satisfied with only the best, in one's mind or according to an educated palate, in a particular field of interest. Discriminating not as in being against a group of people based on racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. ideology, but being against consumption of a lesser product or somesuch in a given field based on knowledge thereof. If that makes sense. And from your answers it looks like that question has been, uh...answered. OK. It's not that kind of "discriminating taste"; it is the negative term.

The fact that the father is a father is irrelevant? Yes, as in it is irrelevant that he has progeny Could the father have had no children and the puzzle still have worked? Yes Is he relevantly a father in another way? Yes Like in the way that Charles Babbage is sometimes called the father of computers? Not like this Are the man and the father the same person? No (I'm thinking of something like, "The child is father of the man.") No

Is sexism relevant? Yes Is it relevant what animal the father became? Yes If so, a human? No (I know the father was already a human, but who knows.) A domesticated animal? An animal endemic to North America? South America? Africa? Europe? Asia? Australia/Oceania? Antarctica? An animal with four legs? More? Fewer? Any continent except Antarctica, rarely domesticated, four legs

in terms of puzzle's relevance, father = he has a son or/and a daughter? No Is the term father related to the children he already has or to the children that he could have potentially? No Is artificial insemination relevant? No

Does the man work in health care? Medicine? Does he work in a restaurant? Hospital? None of these Is him a white/blue/pink collar? Actually, I'm not sure which collar his occupation falls under, if any

Did the man choose A instead of B (or vice versa) after having seen them? After having seen their names? This, good q If so on a paper? Yes
Was the choice of A and B related to a physical characteristic of them? Yes, see above I mean, the aim of the choice was to choose a father for a child? No Is adoption relevant? No

Neither, but there is a literal element to it--> did the man play with the letters in the father's name somehow? No, but names are relevant
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:57 am

first of all are A and B both H/A/M? Sexism = the man preferred a male to a female? A female to a male?

Had the man the power of choosing who becomes an animal? Also which animal he would have become? Does the an's work mainly consists in selecting people? To cross a border?
After the man has expressed his preference, would the one among A and B who was NOT chosen become AUTOMATICALLY an animal? Or the one who was chosen?
Was the man used to do such choices among a generic A and B? If so were the choices always between a man and a female? People of the same gender? Always in couples? (like wives and husbands?) Did the man work as border policeman? Did the man see both A and B (where either A or B is the father)? Just one of the two? Neither?

father different from dad right? So, father = creator of something? Founder?

If so on a paper? Yes--> a newspaper? an official paper? Is a word pun with their names involved? Is the man a journalist? are the names stereotypes of the membership to a certain group of people like a minority? (e.g. the ending in "baum" for Jews) Are the surnames more important than names? Are both A and B names/surnames, english names/surnames? Are them their real names/surnames?

Becoming an animal = a code for something? his name/surname transformed in the name of an animal (like a pun)? Took the role of an animal? Theatre/cinema relevant? So the man became an animal and was excluded to something? And was not preferred to someone else? And was treated as an animal?

Any continent except Antarctica, rarely domesticated, four legs--> bear? Apes? Deer? A rodent? Horse? Equine?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Is he a father in the sense of a priest? Catholic priest?

Did the man choose the father over another person because the father's name was male? Or not choose him because his name was male? Was the man mistaken about something? If so, about the father's gender? Another person's gender?

Was an animal named after the father?
irishelk

Postby Balin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:45 pm

first of all are A and B both H/A/M? Yes
Sexism = the man preferred a male to a female? A female to a male? This

Had the man the power of choosing who becomes an animal? No Also which animal he would have become? ...The father chose his own animal Does the an's work mainly consists in selecting people? To cross a border? Neither
After the man has expressed his preference, would the one among A and B who was NOT chosen become AUTOMATICALLY an animal? Or the one who was chosen? Neither, this questioning line is OTWT
Was the man used to do such choices among a generic A and B? If so were the choices always between a man and a female? Um... the man would make multiple choices among several people. He would typically choose females People of the same gender? Always in couples? (like wives and husbands?) Did the man work as border policeman? No Did the man see both A and B (where either A or B is the father)? Um... he would NOT see the actual people before choosing them Just one of the two? Neither?

father different from dad right? So, father = creator of something? Founder? Neither, see below

If so on a paper? The man saw names on a piece of paper, Yes Yes--> a newspaper? an official paper? Not these Is a word pun with their names involved? YES Is the man a journalist? No are the names stereotypes of the membership to a certain group of people like a minority? No (e.g. the ending in "baum" for Jews) Are the surnames more important than names? Both are important! Are both A and B names/surnames, YES english names/surnames? Yes Are them their real names/surnames? Only one is!

Becoming an animal = a code for something? his name/surname transformed in the name of an animal This!
(if I understand correctly)
(like a pun)? Took the role of an animal?
Theatre/cinema relevant? Yes
So the man became an animal and was excluded to something? No And was not preferred to someone else? The opposite And was treated as an animal? No

Any continent except Antarctica, rarely domesticated, four legs--> bear? Apes? Deer? A rodent? Horse? Equine? None of these

Is he a father in the sense of a priest? Catholic priest? Yes (but that is not his occupation!)

Did the man choose the father over another person because the father's name was male? NO Or not choose him because his name was male? Yes, at one point Was the man mistaken about something? Yes, at another point If so, about the father's gender? Yes Another person's gender?

Was an animal named after the father? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:08 pm

Relevant where the man saw their names? (like on a tag, on a badge)
Are auditions relevant (like America's got talent or something like that)?

Was it evident from the written name that the father was a priest (e.g. on the paper was written the word "reverend" or an abbreviation)? Were the names and surnames relevantly truncated? Is any title like Mr. Ms. Doc. and so on relevantly present on the paper where the names were written?

Are we now supposed to guess names and surnames?
If so...is the surname common in USA? (I am talking as a foreigner...I am sorry for eventual prejudices on american's surnames/names)
Like Smith? Williams? Brown? Clark? Spencer?

But...because I think is quite counterproductive to guess names and surnames (it would be sufficient to invoke the list of most common names/surnames, which I think is not correct), I'll continue on the line of animal guesses...

is the animal a feline?Tigers? Rabbits? pigs? bears? wolves? coyotes? lions? is the animal in question often found in zoos?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:10 am

Earnest, I like that you have the same aversion to LTPF lists that I do. =)

Does the process of the man choosing "turn" the father into an animal? If not, does he become an animal before the choice? After the choice? In response to the choice?
Whose decision is it most directly for the father to become an animal--the man's? The father's? Someone else's? No one's? An accident?

Is the father relevantly aware of the discrimination? Does he take action to counter it? Does he pretend to be a woman to prove discrimination? Does someone else pretend he is a woman?
irishelk

Postby Balin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:41 am

Relevant where the man saw their names? Yes (like on a tag, on a badge) Not these
Are auditions relevant (like America's got talent or something like that)? Close!

Was it evident from the written name that the father was a priest (e.g. on the paper was written the word "reverend" or an abbreviation)? No, and remember, his occupation was NOT a priest. But if that FA were not present, the answer would be Yes Were the names and surnames relevantly truncated? No Is any title like Mr. Ms. Doc. and so on relevantly present on the paper where the names were written? No

Are we now supposed to guess names and surnames? Surnames need to be exact, but also you need to figure out something relevant about the first names
If so...is the surname common in USA? Yes, both (I am talking as a foreigner...I am sorry for eventual prejudices on american's surnames/names) Like Smith? Williams? Brown? Clark? Spencer? None of these, not this common

But...because I think is quite counterproductive to guess names and surnames (it would be sufficient to invoke the list of most common names/surnames, which I think is not correct), I'll continue on the line of animal guesses...

is the animal a feline? Tigers? Rabbits? pigs? bears? wolves? coyotes? lions? No to all is the animal in question often found in zoos? Yes, I think so

Earnest, I like that you have the same aversion to LTPF lists that I do. =)

Does the process of the man choosing "turn" the father into an animal? No, at best indirectly If not, does he become an animal before the choice? After the choice? After the choice In response to the choice?
Whose decision is it most directly for the father to become an animal--the man's? The father's? This Someone else's? No one's? An accident?

Is the father relevantly aware of the discrimination? Yes Does he take action to counter it? Yes Does he pretend to be a woman to prove discrimination? YESISH! Does someone else pretend he is a woman? No
Balin

Postby irishelk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:53 am

Is the military relevant at all? Hiring practices? Housing discrimination?

Does the "father" originally have a surname that suggests priesthood, but he changes it to one that suggests an animal? Does he do this to appear female on paper?
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:35 am

Earnest, I like that you have the same aversion to LTPF lists that I do. =) That's just what I think :))

Did the paper containing the names, also include other info about the father and the woman? Like past experiences and so on? If so did it also require to declare the sex (e.g. put a cross on male/female)?
Did the man read two resumes and chose the one of the woman? If so did he do it just reading the names and preferring the resume belonging to the woman?

Did the father decide to change his name with the name of an animal? His surname? Is the name of the animal sometimes exploited also as a name for people (I've done this question otherwise the man could have been aware of the deception)? For women?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:24 am

Did the man read two resumes and chose the one of the woman? If so did he do it just reading the names and preferring the resume belonging to the woman? Not resumes, but Yes

Does the "father" originally have a surname that suggests priesthood, but he changes it to one that suggests an animal? Does he do this to appear female on paper? Yes!

****SPOILER****

Submitting his name to the lineup at a comedy club, Eric Bishop noticed that the man in charge invariably called female comedians to the stage. So he took on a more gender-ambiguous stage name:
Jamie Foxx.

Well done Earnest and IrishElk!
Balin

Re: [Balin] (*CAN'T THINK OF PUN*) Plenty of marlins in the

Postby Earnest » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:09 am

Thanks Balin! Very intriguing puzzle as always!
Earnest

Re: [Balin] (*CAN'T THINK OF PUN*) Plenty of marlins in the

Postby irishelk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:49 pm

What a clever move. Clever....like a...oh, I don't know, some animal.
irishelk

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles