[Solong] Olive, they got right

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Solong] Olive, they got right

Postby Solong » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:48 pm

Almost everybody uses the wrong pronoun when referring to her.
But she doesn't mind.
Solong

Re: [Solong] Olive, they got right

Postby irishelk » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:57 pm

Ooh, sounds fun.

Is "she" the correct pronoun? He? They? It?
Do they use "he"? She? They? It?

Is she dead? Is she a fictional character? Is she an animal? Human? Adult? Object?
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:28 am

everybody = people in general? People in a specific group?

do everybody use the wrong pronoun on purpose? Do they know it is the wrong one but they use it anyway? If so, do they use it with reference to someone / something quite famous? Is she famous?

when referring to her = when everybody call her by name? When everybody speak about her in third person? When everybody speak about her in general (also talking directly to her)?

In asking questions about her are we using the wrong pronoun? If so, is it "her"?

WAG--> is Game of thrones relevant?

Ok...I don't know if it is fair...if it is not please excuse me and please just skip this question...so...is the pronoun one of these?

I We Me Us You She He Him They Them It That Which Who Whom Whose Whichever Whoever Whomever This These That Those Anybody Anyone Anything Each Either Everyone Everybody Everything Nobody Neither No one Nothing Somebody One Someone Something Few Many Both Several Any All Some Most None Myself Yourself Ourselves Yourselves Herself Himself Themselves Itself Who What Which Whose Whom
Earnest

Postby Solong » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Is "she" the correct pronoun? He? They? It? 'She' is correct.
Do they use "he"? She? They? It? They use 'he'.

Is she dead? Is she a fictional character? Yes. Is she an animal? Yes. Human? Adult?Yes. Object? All unanswered are no.
Solong

Postby Solong » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:04 pm

everybody = people in general? People in a specific group? Not everybody in the whole world, but quite a large number and not a specific group.

do everybody use the wrong pronoun on purpose? Do they know it is the wrong one but they use it anyway? Mostly they don't know it is wrong. If so, do they use it with reference to someone / something quite famous? Is she famous? Yes, she is famous.

when referring to her = when everybody call her by name? When everybody speak about her in third person? This. When everybody speak about her in general Yes. (also talking directly to her)? Yope/noish

In asking questions about her are we using the wrong pronoun? If so, is it "her"? Her/she is correct.

WAG--> is Game of thrones relevant? No.

Ok...I don't know if it is fair...if it is not please excuse me and please just skip this question...so...is the pronoun one of these? See my answer above, and the answer to Irish Elk.

I We Me Us You She He Him They Them It That Which Who Whom Whose Whichever Whoever Whomever This These That Those Anybody Anyone Anything Each Either Everyone Everybody Everything Nobody Neither No one Nothing Somebody One Someone Something Few Many Both Several Any All Some Most None Myself Yourself Ourselves Yourselves Herself Himself Themselves Itself Who What Which Whose Whom
Solong

Postby Enjay » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:01 pm

I've got an idea - answer coded with http://www.rot13.com/ to avoid spoiling if I'm right:

Ehqbycu gur erq abfrq ervaqrre?
Enjay

Postby Earnest » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 pm

she is an animal...so when everybody use the pronoun he instead of she do they refer to the animal she represents?

Is she a disney character? A pixar? A character of a cartoon? Is she able to talk?
Is it simple to mistake her for a male? Or is it somehow notorious that she is a female? Do they know that she is a female? If so, relevant the reason why they use the pronoun 'he'? Do they use 'she' instead of 'he' also when they write about her?

Do they use 'she' in every sentence concerning her or just in some sentences?
Earnest

Postby Solong » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:07 pm

Enjay: If I have translated correctly, you are right.
Solong

Postby Balin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:37 am

I think you missed Earnest's questions above
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:36 am

yep missed mine, thanks Balin
Earnest

Postby Solong » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:10 am

she is an animal...so when everybody use the pronoun he instead of she do they refer to the animal she represents? Yes.

Is she a disney character? A pixar? A character of a cartoon? She is a cartoon character, Disney or otherwise n.r.Is she able to talk? It is implied that she can. She certainly understands human speech.
Is it simple to mistake her for a male? Yes. Or is it somehow notorious that she is a female? Do they know that she is a female? Most people don't.If so, relevant the reason why they use the pronoun 'he'? Just because they don't know better. Do they use 'she' instead of 'he' also when they write about her? They say 'he' when they write about her.

Do they use 'she' in every sentence concerning her or just in some sentences? They use 'he' consistently.

I remember clearly answering this. I just didn't click 'submit,' I suppose. Mea culpa!
Solong

Postby Earnest » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:38 am

IĀ remember clearly answering this. I just didn't click 'submit,' I suppose. Mea culpa! No prob. :)

...as far as I've understood it is very probable that we also mistake 'she' for a male...so the only thing I can do is asking about the cartoon and try to discover the character...mmm...well...is the animal she represents a mammal? Reptile? Snake? Insect? Bird? Acquatic animal?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:30 pm

Is Bambi relevant? Is she a member of the the deer family? Is she most know for being a cartoon character? Has she appeared in multiple films and/or TV programs? Was she created for film/TV? Was she a known character before becoming a cartoon?
trebor

Postby Solong » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:15 pm

...as far as I've understood it is very probable that we also mistake 'she' for a male...so the only thing I can do is asking about the cartoon and try to discover the character...mmm...well...is the animal she represents a mammal? This, no to the rest.Reptile? Snake? Insect? Bird? Acquatic animal?
Solong

Postby Solong » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:19 pm

Is Bambi relevant? No, but OTRT Is she a member of the the deer family? Yes. Is she most know for being a cartoon character? Yes.Has she appeared in multiple films and/or TV programs?don't know about 'multiple' Was she created for film/TV? Was she a known character before becoming a cartoon? Not originally created for film/TV, was first in another medium.
Solong

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:41 am

Is she a reindeer with a shiny nose?
trebor

Postby Solong » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:52 pm

Is she a reindeer with a shiny nose?

**********************************SPOILER *******************************

Yes. Rudolph, and all of Santa's reindeer are females, because while both males and females have antlers, adult males do not have them in December.

Thanks to all who took part in this quickie.
Solong

Postby trebor » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:35 am

Was the reference to Flower from Bambi in the puzzle statement intentional? "He can call me Flower if he wants to; I don't mind."
trebor

Postby Solong » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:54 pm

Was the reference to Flower from Bambi in the puzzle statement intentional? "He can call me Flower if he wants to; I don't mind." No, no intentional reference.

However, would anyone like to try to follow up on the significance of the puzzle title? There is one, really.
Solong

Postby irishelk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:57 pm

That's great! I didn't participate because the title actually made me think of reindeer right away (Olive, The Other Reindeer, right? ^^). But I didn't know about the antlers, interesting!
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:29 pm

Very intriguing...as you want Solong! For me is ok...
Earnest

Postby Solong » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:07 pm

Yep, "Olive (all 0f) the other reindeer, used to laugh and call him (her, ze, it) names."
Solong

Postby Balin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:35 pm

I also got the title reference, but never came up with Rudolph. I kept getting caught up on Bambi.

Good one!
Balin

Postby trebor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:47 am

As soon as I started thinking of Bambi, I noticed the title and thought, "I'd best check out other deer as well..."
trebor

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles