[WiZ] Supdoc? What supdoc?

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] Supdoc? What supdoc?

Postby WiZ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:26 am

In the course of her daily regime, a woman happens upon a carrot. The carrot is in itself unremarkable, and is among many of its kind. However, this is one of the happiest moments of her life. What was the cause of her happiness?

Volume 2 in a series of people having extreme reactions to food.
Last edited by WiZ on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Supdoc? What supdoc?

Postby Westing1992 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:20 am

"Among many of its kind": meaning there's a lot of other carrots around it? But she's happy about this one particular carrot?

Does she happen upon this carrot in a field? A store? A home? A restaurant?

The carrot's unremarkable... but is something attached to it that makes it nonetheless stand out? A ribbon or something?

Does she eat the carrot? Does the carrot get eaten?

Snowmen relevant? Carrot/carat pun here?
Westing1992

Postby WiZ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:24 am

"Among many of its kind": meaning there's a lot of other carrots around it? yes But she's happy about this one particular carrot? yes

Does she happen upon this carrot in a field? yesish A store? A home? yes A restaurant? no to rest

The carrot's unremarkable... but is something attached to it that makes it nonetheless stand out? yes! A ribbon or something? But not this

Does she eat the carrot? Does the carrot get eaten? irrelevant to both

Snowmen relevant? no Carrot/carat pun here? no
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:30 am

PM Sent
peter365

Postby Earnest » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:14 am

did she find the carrot in a vegetable garden belonging to a house? If so, was the carrot planted? was it a "grown" carrot or was it in the form of "seed"?
daily regime = diet? Is it relevant the reason why she was doing a diet?

one of the happiest moments of her life --> did she discover something? Are children involved? If so, already born children? did she had a surprise? was she ill? did she suffer from a disease? was there an epidemic among vegetables? was she a farmer?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:20 pm

Peter

PM Sent You are correct! Solved already. That Bugs me.

Earnest

did she find the carrot in a vegetable garden belonging to a house? yes If so, was the carrot planted? yes was it a "grown" carrot or was it in the form of "seed"? irrelevant (I think - I'm pretty illiterate when it comes to gardening. Or keeping plants alive in general. Sorry, several decades of people for whom I have housesat)
daily regime = diet? no Is it relevant the reason why she was doing a diet? n/a

one of the happiest moments of her life --> did she discover something? yes Are children involved? no If so, already born children? n/a did she had a surprise? yes was she ill? no did she suffer from a disease? n/a was there an epidemic among vegetables? no was she a farmer? no
WiZ

Postby Insight » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:24 pm

PM Sent
Insight

Postby WiZ » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:27 pm

PM Sent Also correct. I should probably have tried to discern how well-known this puzzle

Edit: was.
Last edited by WiZ on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Postby trebor » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:52 pm

PM sent.
trebor

Postby WiZ » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 pm

PM sent. Also correct; am considering firing my research department.
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:35 am

ok...all those PMs make me feel like a looser too ahahahha

So...did she find something underground when pulling out the carrot? (E.g. she found oil) Did she have the surprise when seeing the carrot before extracting it? While extracting it? After having extracted it?

To be sure...carrot = vegetable? I ask because in italian the term translating carrot is also an item used in geology...I didn't found it on the net for what concerns english.

Daily regime = every day activities? Relevant which? Is there someone else involved? Did she noticed that specific carrot as soon as she came to the vegetable garden? Was there something attached to the carrot? If so undergroung? Or above the carrot? Sonething valuable? Sonethi g she was looking for?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:27 pm

ok...all those PMs make me feel like a looser too ahahahha Their loss. You and I get to do the puzzle while they have to watch from the sidelines.

So...did she find something underground when pulling out the carrot? yes (E.g. she found oil) but not this Did she have the surprise when seeing the carrot before extracting it? no While extracting it? After having extracted it? either of these would work equally

To be sure...carrot = vegetable? yes I ask because in italian the term translating carrot is also an item used in geology...I didn't found it on the net for what concerns english. You got me curious, so I did a quick search. I don't think we have a specific word for a mineral's core. In the great English tradition, we may have to steal yours.

Daily regime = every day activities? yes Relevant which? yes, for context Is there someone else involved? not directly Did she noticed that specific carrot as soon as she came to the vegetable garden? no Was there something attached to the carrot? yes If so undergroung? initially, yes Or above the carrot? no Sonething valuable? yes Sonethi g she was looking for? yes

Great questions.
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:57 pm

Their loss. You and I get to do the puzzle while they have to watch from the sidelines --> you're right!

So...something liquid? Solid? Water? Gas? Something "dusty"? A certain type of soil? Did the something escape from the underground when she extracted the carrot? Was she conducting a test? Was it (the thing attached to the carrot) something natural? Like roots? Man made?

Did the soil under the carrot yielded when the carrot was extracted? E.g. she was an archeologist...she extracted the carrot and the ground yielded. She discover some precious amulet underground...something like that?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:31 pm

So...something liquid? Solid? this Water? Gas? no to rest Something "dusty"? no A certain type of soil? no Did the something escape from the underground when she extracted the carrot? yes, in a sense Was she conducting a test? no Was it (the thing attached to the carrot) something natural? no Like roots? no Man made? yes

Did the soil under the carrot yielded when the carrot was extracted? in light of your example, I will say no E.g. she was an archeologist...she extracted the carrot and the ground yielded. She discover some precious amulet underground...something like that? no
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:24 am

something she was looking for...--> did she lost something? was the something attached to the carrot attached before the carrot was planted? Or was it already underground and when the carrot grew digging the ground it attached to the carrot? was the something solid bigger than a ball of baseball? was it something gold made? silver made?

I have a little wag...did she maybe lost a earring or something precious which attached to the seed of the carrot and when she extracted the carrot from the ground she found it?...
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:49 pm

I have a little wag...did she maybe lost a earring or something precious which attached to the seed of the carrot and when she extracted the carrot from the ground she found it?...

***** SPOILER *****

The woman had lost her wedding ring many years ago. When harvesting carrots from her garden, she was surprised to find her wedding ring sitting on one of them!

It is believed that she initially lost the ring when she took it off to prepare food in the kitchen, and it was left among vegetable scraps that were turned into compost or fed to the sheep.

Well done, Earnest. Well done the other three of you who'd heard this before. Try harder next time, WiZ.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Supdoc? What supdoc? [UNEARTHED]

Postby Balin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:55 pm

I heard this two days ago on the radio. Didn't make the connection until just now, reading the puzzle statement, after the $poyler.

Good one.
Balin

Re: [WiZ] Supdoc? What supdoc? [UNEARTHED]

Postby Earnest » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:43 am

Very nice one!
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles