[Hobbsicle] Drunk with Power

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Hobbsicle] Drunk with Power

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:47 pm

When a man changed jobs, he found that some people who met him for the first time thought he was drunk, even though this hadn't happened before, and there was no difference in his speech or demeanor. The more successful he was at his job, the more this happened. Why?
Last edited by Hobbsicle on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbsicle

Re: [Hobbsicle] Drunk with Power

Postby Balin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:08 pm

Were the people his co-workers? Bosses? Customers?
Did the people think he was drunk on any particular type of alcohol? That he had accessed the alcohol as part of his job?
Did the man have access to alcohol through his job?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:29 am

was it a prejudice? Relevant the previous job of the man? Was he transferred in other country? jealousy relevant?
Earnest

Postby CoffeeBean » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Was the location of the new job near that of the old job? In the same town/city? The same country? Same continent?
Was the man required to act or talk in a different way in the new job compared to the previous job?
Are the people who think he is drunk meeting the man at his workplace? At locations where he performs his job?
Do people think he is drunk just by looking at him? By talking to him? By observing his behavior?
Do people make the assumption that he's drunk very quickly after meeting him, or only after being around him for several minutes or longer?
CoffeeBean

Postby peter365 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:19 pm

Hi Hobbsicle

I've sent you a PM with a hopeful WAG.
peter365

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:04 am

Balin

Were the people his co-workers? Bosses? Customers? This is closest.
Did the people think he was drunk on any particular type of alcohol? No That he had accessed the alcohol as part of his job? No
Did the man have access to alcohol through his job? Irrel

Earnest

was it a prejudice? No Relevant the previous job of the man? No Was he transferred in other country? No or irrel jealousy relevant? No

coffeebean

Was the location of the new job near that of the old job? In the same town/city? The same country? Same continent? irrel, could have been the same town, though
Was the man required to act or talk in a different way in the new job compared to the previous job? yope
Are the people who think he is drunk meeting the man at his workplace? No (or at least not necessarily) At locations where he performs his job? Same
Do people think he is drunk just by looking at him? No By talking to him? Yes By observing his behavior? No
Do people make the assumption that he's drunk very quickly after meeting him, or only after being around him for several minutes or longer? Very quickly, and I imagine it wears off over time

peter365

Hi Hobbsicle

I've sent you a PM with a hopeful WAG. Nice, like the thinking, but no, not correct.
Hobbsicle

Postby Balin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:16 am

Does the man relevantly talk as part of his job? Is the assumption made because of the sound of his voice? Because of the words he says? Does he say words at all?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:28 am

Didn't it happen before because of the nature of his past job? (Supposing that he had a job before right?)

Was his image/him "screened" on tvs? On screens? Advertising relevant?

So...suppose I meet him for the first time, talk to him dor just one minute not asking personal questions and think he is drunk. The second time I'll go in his place of work/or interact with him, talking to him, would I be still convinced that he is drunk?

Is he a wine tester? Did he swallow his words? Hiccup relevant? Did he have difficulties in talking/speaking in general? Was people brought by the nature of his job to ask him the same types of questions/to talk with him about the same arguments, which led them to think he was drunk? E.g. his answer led always to the fact that he needed a glass of wine/ a bear maybe to advertise it...
Earnest

Postby Hobbsicle » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:37 am

Balin

Does the man relevantly talk as part of his job? YES Is the assumption made because of the sound of his voice? YES Because of the words he says? No Does he say words at all? yes, just as part of normal conversation

Earnest

Didn't it happen before because of the nature of his past job? (Supposing that he had a job before right?) Past job is irrelevant. It wouldn't be happening now if it wasn't for his current job.

Was his image/him "screened" on tvs? On screens? Advertising relevant? No to all, but OTRT

So...suppose I meet him for the first time, talk to him dor just one minute not asking personal questions and think he is drunk. The second time I'll go in his place of work/or interact with him, talking to him, would I be still convinced that he is drunk? Maybe if you weren't thinking about it. I would guess that most people would catch on to their misconception pretty quickly, though.

Is he a wine tester? Did he swallow his words? Hiccup relevant? Did he have difficulties in talking/speaking in general? Was people brought by the nature of his job to ask him the same types of questions/to talk with him about the same arguments, which led them to think he was drunk? E.g. his answer led always to the fact that he needed a glass of wine/ a bear maybe to advertise it... No to these
Hobbsicle

Postby Balin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:40 am

Does he speak using his normal voice?
To observers, does his voice sound slurred? Higher-pitched? Lower-pitched? Slower? Faster?
Balin

Postby Hobbsicle » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:25 am

Does he speak using his normal voice? Yes
To observers, does his voice sound slurred? A bit of this Higher-pitched? Lower-pitched? Slower? And this Faster?
Hobbsicle

Postby Earnest » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:01 am

...mmm...difficult question...hope it is clear: was it his original voice? I mean for instance did he have surgery on vocal cords?

Also...suppose he worked in a supermarket and he talked to a microphone (you know to call people from one part to another of the supermarket)...would people think he is drunk also without seeing him but just hearing his voice?
Wag--> Did he work as a dubber? If so did he always dub drunk people/cartoons?
Earnest

Postby trebor » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:04 pm

Does he alter the sound/speed of his voice himself? Is it altered another way? Digitally? Is something done to the hearing of the people who think he's drunk?

WAG: Is this some sort of training for bartenders/servers so they have an idea of the signs of inebriation and when to cut someone off?
trebor

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:00 am

Earnest

...mmm...difficult question...hope it is clear: was it his original voice? I mean for instance did he have surgery on vocal cords? Yes, as he spoke with people, it was his original, unaltered, voice

Also...suppose he worked in a supermarket and he talked to a microphone (you know to call people from one part to another of the supermarket)...would people think he is drunk also without seeing him but just hearing his voice? Hm...not sure, it's still possible given what is going on, but I imagine it would be less likely in this scenario than in normal conversation
Wag--> Did he work as a dubber? If so did he always dub drunk people/cartoons? Nice guess, but no

trebor

Does he alter the sound/speed of his voice himself? NO Is it altered another way? YES Digitally? YES Is something done to the hearing of the people who think he's drunk? No

WAG: Is this some sort of training for bartenders/servers so they have an idea of the signs of inebriation and when to cut someone off? No, another interesting idea, though

There is a possible FA that would make my answers a bit misleading, but I'm not sure if the FA exists or not...to clear up a possible mistake on my part, keep in mind that not everyone who meets him would necessarily think he is drunk, or even would notice anything unusual about his speech
Hobbsicle

Postby Earnest » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:52 am

did he wear a mask? like "darth vader" mask? Daft Punks relevant?

is him a DJ? Does he work in entertainment business? in a disco? with a microphone? with a console?
Earnest

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:53 am

did he wear a mask? like "darth vader" mask? Daft Punks relevant? No to all

is him a DJ? No Does he work in entertainment business? Yes! in a disco? with a microphone? Microphones would be involved with a console? No to others
Hobbsicle

Postby trebor » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:25 am

When the people hear him and think he is drunk, are they listening to a recording of him? Are they listening to him live with effects being added? Can they see him when they hear him? Does his new job have a title that we would recognize? Does this happen IRL? (Or in a fictional world that is the same as our world?)

Is there another aspect of his job that is more important than his voice? Does he work for a theme park? Is he an on-stage performer? A magician? A musician/singer? An impressionist? A hypnotist? An actor? A ventriloquist? Do people pay to watch him? To hear him? Would it be appropriate to call the people who hear him an audience? If so, are they there mostly or completely to see/hear him? Is he part of a larger entertainment piece that is going on?
trebor

Postby Hobbsicle » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:32 pm

When the people hear him and think he is drunk, are they listening to a recording of him? No! Are they listening to him live with effects being added? No! Can they see him when they hear him? irrel Does his new job have a title that we would recognize? yes Does this happen IRL? (Or in a fictional world that is the same as our world?) It is based on something in real life. I don't know whether this particular setup has happened, but something similar has.

Is there another aspect of his job that is more important than his voice? Not really. There are more relevant details to his job, but the voice is the focal point. Does he work for a theme park? Is he an on-stage performer? A magician? A musician/singer? An impressionist? A hypnotist? An actor? A ventriloquist? None of these! Do people pay to watch him? No To hear him? Technically, no-ish Would it be appropriate to call the people who hear him an audience? Yes If so, are they there mostly or completely to see/hear him? Depends on what you mean by "there". The people who hear him are intending to do so. The people who meet and talk to him directly, it's irrelevant what they are "there" for Is he part of a larger entertainment piece that is going on? No, or irrel
Hobbsicle

Postby trebor » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Does the man's job involve trade fairs? Is he a pitch man? Is the purpose of his job to sell something? To entertain? To educate? Is he a lecturer? [i](Some of these may be a stretch, given that he works in the entertainment industry...)[i]

When people think he's drunk, is he speaking to them live without effects being added? Is his job a common one? Is it reasonable to expect that in a North American city of 100,00 people or more that there would be someone there who has the same job? Many people who do? Does his job require expertise beyond the ability to properly use one's vocal apparatus? Does he use his voice properly in the execution of his job? Does his job damage his voice?

When you say his voice is altered digitally, do you mean with some piece(s) of technology? By the use of fingers/toes?

Is there a delay between him talking and people hearing him?
trebor

Postby Hobbsicle » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:46 am

Does the man's job involve trade fairs? Is he a pitch man? Is the purpose of his job to sell something? No to the previous, although in some circumstances, selling something may be part of his income To entertain? Could be this To educate? And/or this Is he a lecturer? No, or at least it wouldn't be in the traditional sense

When people think he's drunk, is he speaking to them live without effects being added? Correct. This is not the case in his job, but in the circumstances where people are meeting him, this is so Is his job a common one? Today, pretty common, although less common that it would be someone's full-time work Is it reasonable to expect that in a North American city of 100,00 people or more that there would be someone there who has the same job? I would guess so, yes, although I don't really know numbers Many people who do? Maybe, might depend on the city Does his job require expertise beyond the ability to properly use one's vocal apparatus? There are many flavors of what he does. Probably knowledge about something or other would be necessary, but nothing particularly relevant for the purposes of the puzzle. Does he use his voice properly in the execution of his job? Yes Does his job damage his voice? No

When you say his voice is altered digitally, do you mean with some piece(s) of technology? Yes By the use of fingers/toes? Haha, no, although technically, someone would have to use one of those to operate the technology, so...

Is there a delay between him talking and people hearing him? In his job, yes, in the situations where people think he is drunk, no
Hobbsicle

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:44 pm

Do the people think he is drunk when they hear his normal voice? Because they are used to hearing his tech-altered voice?
Balin

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:46 am

Do the people think he is drunk when they hear his normal voice? Yes Because they are used to hearing his tech-altered voice? YES! Why?
Hobbsicle

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:51 pm

Do they hear his tech voice frequently? Every day? On their own electronic devices? Is he the "You've got mail" guy?
Is the tech voice sped up (or slowed down)? Pitched up (or down)?
Is Auto-Tune involved?
Balin

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:02 am

Do they hear his tech voice frequently? Assume yes Every day? Probably not, maybe once a week On their own electronic devices? YES Is he the "You've got mail" guy? No
Is the tech voice sped up (or slowed down)? Sped up! Pitched up (or down)?
Is Auto-Tune involved? No

Almost there, just need to pull together the remaining details.
Hobbsicle

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:52 pm

Do they hear his voice on their phones? Computers? GPS?
Balin

Postby trebor » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Is his voice used for an Apple product? Is it used in conjunction with something wearable? Is it used online? A podcast or something similar? Is it used for something that was invented a while ago? Radio? (Perhaps he’s recorded the intro for a weekly show or something?)
trebor

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:38 pm

Balin

Do they hear his voice on their phones? THIS Computers? GPS?

trebor

Is his voice used for an Apple product? Is it used in conjunction with something wearable? Is it used online? A podcast or something similar? THIS Is it used for something that was invented a while ago? Radio? (Perhaps he’s recorded the intro for a weekly show or something?)

This is basically solved. Time for a...

*******************SPOILER********************

The man became a podcast host. Many people today (myself included, unfortunately) listen to podcasts (and audiobooks) on 1.5x speed, or even faster. Normalizing yourself to a person's sped-up voice has the strange effect of hearing their normal voice as being unnaturally slow or slurred, as if they are tired or drunk. This definitely happens when one listens to an episode on 1x after listening many times on 1.5x. Not sure if it would happen when meeting them in real life, but I'd like to guess that it might.

So the more successful he became, the more often he would meet his 1.5x-listening fans, and the more likely they would be to find his voice sounding slower than usual.

Thanks all! Well done to Balin and trebor for getting the final pieces together.
Hobbsicle

Re: [Hobbsicle] Drunk with Power (SLOWED DOWN)

Postby biograd » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:20 am

I thought that the programmers of digital audio players had long since solved the problem of how to speed a recording up without raising its pitch. I remember when I used to play audio files of boringly slow songs at faster speed in VLC and it made the songs sung by guys sound like a falsetto voice. Then all of a sudden with one update in the VLC player, the pitch sounded the same no matter how fast a recording was played. Though maybe you don't mean that it sounded low, just slow.
biograd

Re: [Hobbsicle] Drunk with Power (SLOWED DOWN)

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:57 pm

Yeah, the pitch is the same, it's just faster. If you can imagine listening (or actually listen) to something at 0.5x, you'll hear the effect I'm talking about. Words take longer to say, pauses are longer, consonants seem to drag, etc.
Hobbsicle

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles