[Balin] The gravity of the situation (escape)

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] The gravity of the situation (escape)

Postby Balin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:59 pm

I mentioned that I am working on an escape-room adventure that you can die in. This is NOT that room. You cannot die in this room. (Actually I lost the paper from many years ago that had my outline for the death room, so I'm working on it from scratch.)

This is another one of my games that was originally created on the Doctor Fou Room Escape Maker. I will post the URL for the game after it has been solved.

Here's what I remember last. I got a call to meet at a café for a job interview, but it was dark inside. I went in anyway - it was unlocked - and I suddenly smelled something sweet and felt myself passing out.

Now I'm waking up again, but I'm still very tired and my vision is a little blurry, I think from just waking up. I'm in a very comfortable armchair (I could sleep in this all day, but I know I shouldn't), and I can see what looks like a glass cabinet, and another cabinet, and maybe a bookcase(?) across from me. There also appears to be someone smiling at me from the far wall...

...I'm going to close my eyes again and see if my vision clears up. Let me know what to do when it does...
Balin

Re: [Balin] The gravity of the situation (escape)

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:11 pm

It's probably safe to assume (which you almost never should do in a LTP) that there is a source of light since you can see other items in the room. Can you tell where the light is coming from?
Can you estimate the dimensions of the room?
Can you see all of the room from where you are sitting? Can you stand up and get a panoramic view of it?
Do you see any doors or windows?
CoffeeBean

Postby Earnest » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:40 pm

are you able to move? from where you are, can you see something near to you? Clothing, piece of furnitures, pictures, something indicating if you are in a laboratory, in a cafe? can you smell something? Does it resemble the first smell that you smelled in the cafe? If so or if the smell causes any bother then cover your nose with your hand.

those questions are based on the fact that you are able to turn the light on...
is it safe to move from where you are? can you stand up? If you think so, make one step quietly and see what happens...then two...is the someone smiling still looking at you?three...and reach the glass cabinet if no one impede...what's inside?

just feel your clothes and see if you got your phone with you and all the other things...is there something missing? is there something in your pockets?... fake to sleep and slowly take out your phone (e.g. fake to drop belly down with hands near the pockets)
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:10 pm

It's probably safe to assume (which you almost never should do in a LTP) that there is a source of light since you can see other items in the room. Can you tell where the light is coming from? The light is sunlight, shining through two windows on the wall behind me. It's not the sunniest of days, but it's bright enough that I can see everything in the room clearly, especially now that I'm not as exhausted and my vision is clearer.
Can you estimate the dimensions of the room? I'd guess 12 to 15 feet high, and maybe 20 feet square.
Can you see all of the room from where you are sitting? Everything except what's behind me.[/b] Can you stand up and get a panoramic view of it? I can.

Directly in front of me are is everything I mentioned before.
The "glass cabinet" appears to be a vending machine of some sort, as I can see slots for inserting money; there is a glass of water inside and nothing else.
The bookcase has five shelves, and the top four shelves are full of books.
Between the two is a long wooden cabinet that is closed.
Above the long cabinet is a poster, which I had thought was a person smiling at me. The poster is of a boy holding a candle.

Facing the wall to my right, the first thing I see is a brick fireplace - there is nothing burning in it, but I can see two levers sticking out of it and a scrap of paper on the mantel.
Beside the fireplace is an open closet (which I do not see a door for). Inside that is a wooden chest stuck to a beam of some sort, and a metal safe with a flaming burner underneath it. There's also what looks like a wall clock resting on the floor behind the chest.
Next to the closet is a small metal panel a few feet up the wall.
On the other side of the fireplace is a tall wooden device with a hole at the bottom and a blade... wait... this is a guillotine. I suddenly feel much less safe.

There is not nearly as much when I face the wall left of the bookcase and poster and all that. There is a red curtain hanging on the wall; in front of the curtain is another chest, this one metal.
There is also a nightstand with one drawer, and a toolbox on the nightstand.
But the most unusual thing here is some contraption consisting of a metal pole with two tires on it and a switch at the bottom.
Above the metal pole-thing is an open ventilation shaft with a pipe leading to it.

Turning and facing the chair I woke up in, I now see that the chair (again, a very comfortable chair with nice, thick plush and a nice, thick cushion) is resting on metal tracks on the floor. It is currently at the left side of this wall (facing the wall).
Interestingly, there are two small light bulbs on the chair, one on each arm. The one on the right arm (or the left arm if you're facing the chair, which I am now) is on.
In the exact center of the wall is a door... but the door is freaking me out a little. I'll explain why later.
As I mentioned, there are two windows on this wall; each has 12 small square panes in a four-row, three-column configuration. The window above the chair seems ordinary, but the other one has the letter "A" chalked on the top-left pane and a "B" chalked on the one immediately to its right. I can also see a small silver key through the glass of the bottom-left pane.
Below the right window (the one with the chalked letters) is a larger metal panel, with eight buttons arranged in a 3x3 square (with no button in the center). There is a lever on one side of this panel and a keyhole on the other.
Above the same window is the other end of that pipe. If I jump, I think I can make out a small hole at the top of this pipe.

Do you see any doors or windows? Yes, as mentioned. But about that door... there's writing scrawled on that door in chalk. This is what it says:

MY TREASURE
GOLD COINS
MONEY
PAINTINGS
FABERGE EGGS
PRISONERS

are you able to move? Yes from where you are, can you see something near to you? Yes, see above Clothing, piece of furnitures, pictures, something indicating if you are in a laboratory, in a cafe? From what I can tell I'm neither in a lab nor cafe; I'm trapped by a creep in a creepy room. I am still wearing the clothing I had on when I went to the cafe: light gray sweater and khaki slacks. can you smell something? Not really. Actually... it smells a little like it just rained. Does it resemble the first smell that you smelled in the cafe? No; that cafe smelled like a barbecue. The sweet smell was something else - probably chloroform or some other anesthetic. If so or if the smell causes any bother then cover your nose with your hand. The smell is fine.

those questions are based on the fact that you are able to turn the light on... I have no control over the sun, but I can see just fine.
is it safe to move from where you are? can you stand up? If you think so, make one step quietly and see what happens...then two...is the someone smiling still looking at you? I'm pretty sure that "person" is just a poster, but I should probably take a closer look to make sure.
Looking at the poster, I don't see any signs of eyeholes or other spying mechanisms, so I don't think anyone is watching. But I do see two small arrows pointing to the bottom part of the poster - I hadn't seen those from the chair.
Furthermore, I rubbed my hand over the poster to see if I could feel any holes - I didn't, but the top part of the poster feels waxier, while there is a section at the bottom that feels more like ordinary poster paper.

three...and reach the glass cabinet if no one impede...what's inside? Since I have confirmed the "person" is a poster, I feel I can safely walk to the cabinet.
Having done so, I can confirm that the only thing inside the vending machine is a glass of water. The text above the money slots says it costs $1.25, "exact change only." And indeed, there is a slot for dollar bills and a slot for coins... and now that I'm here, I can see there is something pink or purple or some shade of magenta stuck in the coin slot.

just feel your clothes and see if you got your phone with you and all the other things...is there something missing? is there something in your pockets?... fake to sleep and slowly take out your phone (e.g. fake to drop belly down with hands near the pockets) When I went to the cafe, I was carrying a backpack I had been using to hold my resume and other materials from various interviews. My phone, keys, and wallet were all inside it. I don't have that backpack now.
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Can the poster be taken off of the wall? How is it attached to the wall?
The burner that you mentioned, can it be picked up or moved?
CoffeeBean

Postby Balin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:57 pm

Can the poster be taken off of the wall? I don't think so. It's stuck in a wooden frame. How is it attached to the wall? I can't see how the frame is attached but it won't move when I try to lift it.
The burner that you mentioned, can it be picked up or moved? No - it appears to be actually attached to the bottom of the safe door. The safe is actually a wall safe, in the closet wall, so I can't lift that either. And even if I wanted to, because of the burner, the safe door is too hot to touch.
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:57 pm

I must premise that I'm not sure of having well understood the whole description (not so good in english sorry), so I apologize for eventual mistakes

so...don't know if it's safe...can you check if the doors are opened or locked? Above all the one with

MY TREASURE
GOLD COINS
MONEY
PAINTINGS
FABERGE EGGS
PRISONERS

A lot of symbology here...are those words simply listed in this order? Or are there ticks near to them? I mean...really strange...they are written in chalk on a door. Why not writing them on a paper? Moreover if those are plans there is no reason why they put you in the same room where those plans are explained without deleting them. Do you agree?...so there are three possibilities in my opinion: or someone simply forgot to delete them; or they thought to come later in the room because they supposed that you were asleep; or this is a list of things you are able to see in the room or inside the door. Mmmm really hope so

Can you describe what other material you had in your backpack? Do you remember if there were notes of interviews that were inconvenient for someone? Interviews to people for which you had exclusive right? That someone wanted to steal from you?

Not really. Actually... it smells a little like it just rained-->could be humidity...or water...so let's reason: you cannot be underground because you see the sun in front of you...and on the other hand it didn't rain because there is the sun...so...or you slept for days or...can you find sources of water/water vapor?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:16 pm

[i]I must premise that I'm not sure of having well understood the whole description (not so good in english sorry), so I apologize for eventual mistakes Not a problem. If you need help understanding something, go ahead and ask.

so...don't know if it's safe...can you check if the doors are opened or locked? Above all the one with

MY TREASURE
GOLD COINS
MONEY
PAINTINGS
FABERGE EGGS
PRISONERS

That is the only ordinary door in this room, and it is locked. But there are plenty of other things which may or may not be locked, so I'll check those too.

I can't even find a handle for the vending machine or a way to open it, so safe to say that's "locked."
The long cabinet under the poster is also locked, and requires a three-digit code to open.
There are no doors in the bookcase, but looking closer I do see a keyhole, and there is a gold key sticking out of it.

Facing the fireplace, there are no doors, but there is that wooden chest in the closet. It is padlocked closed, but I don't think I could open it even with the key right now because the chest is fastened in place with that wooden beam.
There's also the safe with the burner, but I can't even check if it's locked or not because the burner makes it too hot to touch.
That little metal panel beside the closet is not locked, but it is fixed to the wall with two flathead screws.
And upon closer examination there is also a keyhole in the front of the fireplace, below and to the left of the paper on the mantel.

Looking at the wall with the red curtain: the chest is padlocked shut, the toolbox is padlocked shut, the nightstand drawer is... unlocked, actually. There is a red key inside the drawer.

And turning around, the door is locked. Checking the windows as well: the right window (chalked letters) is nailed shut, but the left window slides open.
Looking out through the window, I can see two red flowers standing tall in a flower box just outside the window. The dirt is damp, and I can see a scrap of paper half-buried in the dirt. Below the flower box... I don't see any ground at all. I just see the ocean...
Examining the view out the window... actually, I think I recognize the view. This looks like the view from the top of Cliffside Caves, an hour or so from where I live. Which means this house is at the edge of a cliff...

A lot of symbology here...are those words simply listed in this order? Or are there ticks near to them? They're not bullet-pointed or anything. They're not even in a list, just scrawled randomly across a door.
I mean...really strange...they are written in chalk on a door. Why not writing them on a paper? I have NO idea.t just makes it really seem like this is the lair of some lunatic.
Moreover if those are plans there is no reason why they put you in the same room where those plans are explained without deleting them. Do you agree?... That does make sense.
so there are three possibilities in my opinion: or someone simply forgot to delete them; or they thought to come later in the room because they supposed that you were asleep; or this is a list of things you are able to see in the room or inside the door. Mmmm really hope so Those all seem logical. Although I would add a fourth option: that someone wants me to think this is a lair of a crazy person, and whoever stuck me here isn't crazy at all... which, frankly, is just as crazy.

Can you describe what other material you had in your backpack? File folders, notes, a notebook, pens, pencils? I can't say exactly what everything was.
Do you remember if there were notes of interviews that were inconvenient for someone? Interviews to people for which you had exclusive right? That someone wanted to steal from you? It's possible, I guess. I'd been a bank teller for about three years before this so I'd interviewed at a handful of banks, but I didn't have any important secret information about my old employer in my backpack, and none of the interviews told me anything extremely important either.

Not really. Actually... it smells a little like it just rained-->could be humidity...or water...so let's reason: you cannot be underground because you see the sun in front of you...and on the other hand it didn't rain because there is the sun...so...or you slept for days or...can you find sources of water/water vapor? Looking outside it appears there has just been a rainstorm - it's somewhat cloudy, but not enough to completely block out sunlight. Also the flower box is damp, so the rain must have been recent. And of course there's that glass of water in the vending machine.
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:03 pm

of course you do not have any idea if there are stairs or if someone else is there right? So be always aware of what you do...(e.g. if you have shoes and you are not sure to be alone maybe it could be prudent to remove them)

I think the best option we have right now to understand something is to collect all the keys you found...
how many key do we have right now and how many keyholes? a gold key a red key and another one right? Do the number of keys correspond to the number of keyholes? Try all the keys in all the keyholes and please see what happens.

The long cabinet under the poster is also locked, and requires a three-digit code to open--> are there numbers on the papers? Are there numbers somewhere?

So summarizing the symbology...there are those mysterious writings:

MY TREASURE
GOLD COINS
MONEY
PAINTINGS
FABERGE EGGS
PRISONERS

and this As I mentioned, there are two windows on this wall; each has 12 small square panes in a four-row, three-column configuration. The window above the chair seems ordinary, but the other one has the letter "A" chalked on the top-left pane and a "B" chalked on the one immediately to its right. I can also see a small silver key through the glass of the bottom-left pane.
Below the right window (the one with the chalked letters) is a larger metal panel, with eight buttons arranged in a 3x3 square (with no button in the center). There is a lever on one side of this panel and a keyhole on the other.
Above the same window is the other end of that pipe. If I jump, I think I can make out a small hole at the top of this pipe
no button in the center--> so are there eight numbers or eight letters?...which is the one missing? is the lever blocked? maybe is a sort of game and you need to take the key which must be inserted in the hole...is it possible that the panel beow the window has a connection with the pane configuration of the window?

do you see anything being the poster? can you feel the wall on the poster? Is there a hole?

Then we have a code of three digits and how many pieces of paper? Try to see whether there are connections among the pieces of paper (if they are part of the same picture or if there is something written)

rain... let me think..do you see any track of water on the floor? If so do you think that those tracks are yours or from others?
you are on a cliff...so do you know whether it is possible to reach the cliffs of Cliffside Caves with a car or an helicopter/boat is needed?...I mean...in the latter cases really don't know how it was possible to construct the lair and above all to reach it with a storm...anyway...in the latter case do you see any boat?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:49 pm

of course you do not have any idea if there are stairs or if someone else is there right? Right, but there are no signs of it. So be always aware of what you do...(e.g. if you have and you are not sure to be alone maybe it could be prudent to remove them) I will be careful. And for the record I am wearing light, quiet shoes.

I think the best option we have right now to understand something is to collect all the keys you found...
how many key do we have right now and how many keyholes? a gold key a red key and another one right? Do the number of keys correspond to the number of keyholes? Right now I have a gold key and a red key. There's also a silver key behind the nailed-shut window and something magenta-ish, which may be a key, stuck in the coin slot of the vending machine.
Things with a keyhole: the door, the toolbox, both chests, the bookcase, the fireplace - I think that's all I've seen so far, so six keyholes.

Try all the keys in all the keyholes and please see what happens. The gold key unlocks the toolbox. Inside is an oil can.
The red key... this is interesting. The red key fits in the keyhole for the fireplace, but when I insert it, something inside the keyhole pushes it back out.

The long cabinet under the poster is also locked, and requires a three-digit code to open--> are there numbers on the papers? I haven't actually checked yet.
The paper on the fireplace mantel says "CHAF - any order."
The paper in the flower box says "OVM."

Are there numbers somewhere? None that I have seen.

So summarizing the symbology...there are those mysterious writings:

MY TREASURE
GOLD COINS
MONEY
PAINTINGS
FABERGE EGGS
PRISONERS

and this As I mentioned, there are two windows on this wall; each has 12 small square panes in a four-row, three-column configuration. The window above the chair seems ordinary, but the other one has the letter "A" chalked on the top-left pane and a "B" chalked on the one immediately to its right. I can also see a small silver key through the glass of the bottom-left pane.
Above the same window is the other end of that pipe. If I jump, I think I can make out a small hole at the top of this pipe.

no button in the center--> so are there eight numbers or eight letters?... which is the one missing? is the lever blocked? The lever will not move. maybe is a sort of game and you need to take the key which must be inserted in the hole... There's no key in this keyhole yet. is it possible that the panel beow the window has a connection with the pane configuration of the window? That's actually a good idea, especially because when I examine the window closer, I can see small arrows pointing in a EDIT: clockwise circle around the top nine panes.

do you see anything being the poster? On the poster? Just the picture of a boy with a candle and the arrows. can you feel the wall on the poster? Yes. Is there a hole? ...feeling the poster, I think there may be a hole behind the area of the poster that feels less waxy. If there is, there's something inside it.

Then we have a code of three digits and how many pieces of paper? Only two so far. Try to see whether there are connections among the pieces of paper (if they are part of the same picture or if there is something written) No, they are just torn individual scraps of paper.

rain... let me think..do you see any track of water on the floor? No. If so do you think that those tracks are yours or from others?
you are on a cliff...so do you know whether it is possible to reach the cliffs of Cliffside Caves with a car or an helicopter/boat is needed?... I used to travel by car to a beach at the foot of the cliff, where the entrance to the cave starts. There is a hiking path to the top of the cliff. I mean...in the latter cases really don't know how it was possible to construct the lair and above all to reach it with a storm...anyway...in the latter case do you see any boat? I don't.
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:35 am

no button in the center--> so are there eight numbers or eight letters? However the missing one is an E or a 5, do you agree?
let's recap: on the window you have a total of 12 panes, right? On the one on the top left there is letter A and the one near contains letter B. Moreover nine of the ten panes "on the boundary" of the window have counterclockwise arrows right? So 3 panes are left, right? If so, to which pane do the arrows point? And where do the arrows begin? Seems something like snakes and ladders...it is possible that you are one among A and B and you are supposed to do something...

Are there arrows also in the panel? What happens if you press a random button? e.g. the first one. Let's try to find out a correspondence between window and panel: on the windows there are nine arrows and on the panel eight buttons. do you notice something if you press the buttons in a counterclockwise manner beginning from the button corresponding to the A on the window's pane and ending to the one corresponding to the B?
Is it possible that the silver key is the prize and that somehow your aim is to reach it? maybe there is some engine to open the panes...can you describe the panel under the window, please?

Do you think the papers could help? like if you put them over the panel or over the panes...do you see any correspondence? do you see anything backlight?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:35 pm

no button in the center--> so are there eight numbers or eight letters? Yes, that makes sense. However the missing one is an E or a 5, do you agree? I'm not sure, because the arrows (which are clockwise, NOT counterclockwise, as I mistakenly said earlier) are pointing in a circle.
let's recap: on the window you have a total of 12 panes, right? On the one on the top left there is letter A and the one near contains letter B. This is right. Moreover nine of the ten panes "on the boundary" of the window have clockwise arrows right? No; the arrows point around the top nine panes. So 3 panes are left, right? If so, to which pane do the arrows point? They don't point "at" any panel; they point in a circle. And where do the arrows begin? Seems something like snakes and ladders...it is possible that you are one among A and B and you are supposed to do something...

Are there arrows also in the panel? No. What happens if you press a random button? e.g. the first one. Actually, all the buttons are pressed in. I cannot press any of them. Let's try to find out a correspondence between window and panel: This sounds like a good idea. on the windows there are nine arrows and on the panel eight buttons. There aren't nine arrows; there are arrows pointing around the top nine panels. do you notice something if you press the buttons in a counterclockwise manner beginning from the button corresponding to the A on the window's pane and ending to the one corresponding to the B? Again, I can't press the buttons because they are pushed in. Also the arrows are pointing clockwise, not counterclockwise; that was my mistake in describing them.
Is it possible that the silver key is the prize and that somehow your aim is to reach it? It's possible, I guess. maybe there is some engine to open the panes... I think that's unlikely, because this window is nailed shut. If I could remove the nails and open the window, or break one of the other bottom panes, I could get the key. can you describe the panel under the window, please? It's a gray metal panel with eight green buttons, a keyhole, and a lever.

Actually, I think I've been a little unclear in my description of this window and panel, so I am including a crude sketch of them.

windowandpanel.png
windowandpanel.png (502.11 KiB) Viewed 3130 times

Do you think the papers could help? I'm sure they are clues. like if you put them over the panel or over the panes...do you see any correspondence? do you see anything backlight? No, this doesn't work.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:36 pm

Have a look behind the red curtain, and behind the books (if you have access to them... what's that keyhole in the bookcase for?)
Try to pull the two levers at the fireplace and see what happens.
Is there any way to reach the silver key behind the window accessing it from the other window?
Can you tear the poster where the arrows point to?
Do you have access to the oil in the can?

Guessing the pattern in the window goes like this
A B C
H * D
G F E
I'd like to press the green buttons corresponding to CHAF. So, I hope the lever next to the panel will release the buttons, but I think we'll also need the appropriate key.
Last edited by Acridian9 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:58 am

Have a look behind the red curtain, Behind the curtain is another wall safe, this one asking for a three-letter code.
and behind the books I try pulling out the books but they are all fixed in place. However, there are five identical large books that catch my attention. They are labeled:
"The Greatest Works of Harlan Ellison"
"The Greatest Works of Edward Gorey"
"The Greatest Works of George Orwell"
"The Greatest Works of François Rabelais"
"The Greatest Works of William B. Yeats"

(if you have access to them... what's that keyhole in the bookcase for?) I don't know...
Try to pull the two levers at the fireplace and see what happens. First trying the red lever - if I pull it down, it moves down a little bit then clicks back into place. Trying it a few more times, I notice that it "clicks down" three more times, and then if I try again, it moves all the way back to the top of the fireplace, where it started, and clicks again. So there are five different places I can set this lever.
Trying the yellow lever, I confirm it operates the same way.

Is there any way to reach the silver key behind the window accessing it from the other window? No, the distance between the windows is too far to reach.
Can you tear the poster where the arrows point to? I try, but I don't have anything sharp, and it feels a little thicker than normal paper anyway.
Do you have access to the oil in the can? Yes, the oil can is full and has a cap I can easily remove.

Guessing the pattern in the window goes like this
A B C
H D
G F E
I'd like to press the green buttons corresponding to CHAF. That makes a lot of sense. So, I hope the lever next to the panel will release the buttons, but I think we'll also need the appropriate key. Either that, or the key will release the buttons.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:58 am

Let's try the OVM code on the safe behind the curtain.
Can you take and examine the clock resting on the floor of the closet?
Can you describe by what the chest is fastened to the wooden beam?
Can you re-insert the gold key in the bookcase keyhole and try to turn it?
Also, try the switch at the bottom of the contraption.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:40 pm

Let's try the OVM code on the safe behind the curtain. The code works and the safe door swings open. Inside is a beautifully decorated green Fabergé egg - or at least a replica of one, I"m no expert.
Can you take and examine the clock resting on the floor of the closet? I cannot, because the chest is pinning it to the wall.
Can you describe by what the chest is fastened to the wooden beam? The beam is fixed to the chest with several long nails.
Can you re-insert the gold key in the bookcase keyhole and try to turn it? I tried it in the bookcase when I was trying it in all the keyholes - it didn't work. I've left the gold key in the toolbox lock, as for some reason I was unable to remove it after unlocking it.
Also, try the switch at the bottom of the contraption. I flip the switch and the tires start spinning rapidly. Now I recognize this device - it's a very simple pitching machine.
Balin

Postby Earnest » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:06 pm

MY TREASURE
GOLD COINS
MONEY
PAINTINGS
FABERGE EGGS
PRISONERS

you found the Faberge egg...if also the other are object in the room, maybe there is someone else with you...prisoners is plural indeed.
Earnest

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Describe the egg. Does it have a sharp piece (like a diamond) to be used on the poster? Can you open it? if it is hard to open, try to oil it.
Can you take a closer look at the empty shelf of the bookcase?
DO you think the egg would suit the pitching machine? Can you predict what a ball fired by the machine would hit? (it would be great if it hit the window...)
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:55 pm

you found the Faberge egg...if also the other are object in the room, maybe there is someone else with you...prisoners is plural indeed. I hadn't thought about that. This is a small room, though, so any hiding places for a person would be really tight.

Describe the egg. It's a green egg with gold decoration. Does it have a sharp piece (like a diamond) to be used on the poster? No, unfortunately. Can you open it? if it is hard to open, try to oil it. I don't see any mechanism for opening it.
Can you take a closer look at the empty shelf of the bookcase? It appears to be just a wooden shelf.
Do you think the egg would suit the pitching machine? Yes, the egg should fit between the spinning tires. Can you predict what a ball fired by the machine would hit? (it would be great if it hit the window...) I believe it would hit the right-side window!
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Ok then....using a Fabergé egg as a wreckingball may be a little extreme...in absence of another object to try the pitching machine let's go with the egg. First check if you can move the pipe to better aim to the window. Also, check if one of the squares of the window can be easily smashed.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:26 am

Ok then....using a Fabergé egg as a wreckingball may be a little extreme...in absence of another object to try the pitching machine let's go with the egg. Let's do it. First check if you can move the pipe to better aim to the window. Checking the floor, it seems the machine is bolted in place. I can't move it. Also, check if one of the squares of the window can be easily smashed. None of them seem any more or less fragile than the others. The glass seems thick, though, so let's hope the pitching machine gives enough force and is aimed right...

...It worked perfectly! I loaded the egg into the machine, and the tires launched it through the bottom-middle pane of the nailed window and presumably far into the sea below. I hope that was a replica...
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:09 am

You should be abe to get to the silver key now: take it an see what it opens.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:06 pm

You should be abe to get to the silver key now: take it an see what it opens. I am able to reach through the broken pane and get the silver key. I try it on everything in the room, and... it doesn't fit in any of the keyholes.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Do you have a way to burn the poster (lightening something with the burner)?
Can you move the chair? Along the track? Take a closer look at it. Look also under it and under the cushion.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Do you have a way to burn the poster (lightening something with the burner)? I don't, and I don't have anything with me that can carry a flame from the burner to the poster.
Can you move the chair? Along the track? I try pushing it but I can't budge it.
Take a closer look at it. ...Remember those two bulbs on the chair arms? Under one of them is a small sensor like you might see on a TV for aiming the remote at.
Look also under it and under the cushion. I can see another piece of paper under the chair, but the chair is too low to the ground for me to reach. I lift up the cushion, and underneath that is a fancy silver key. Actually, when I picked up the cushion, I thought I heard something rattle in it, so I'm going to hold onto that too.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Do you think the oil would help in moving the chair?
Any way to open the cushion?
Try the fancy silver key in the various keyholes.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:21 am

Do you think the oil would help in moving the chair? Looking at where the chair is on the tracks, it doesn't look rusty or aged or anything. So, probably not.
Any way to open the cushion? If there's any sort of blade, I could do it.
Try the fancy silver key in the various keyholes. It opens the metal chest in front of the curtain, and that chest is filled to the brim with gold coins.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:38 am

Is there anything among/under the coins?
Any coin to be used in the vending machine?
Any coin to be used as a screwdriver (for the panel with screws)?

Is there a glass shard from the broken window (for the cushion and/or poster)?

This will take a lot, but.....for each object, try if you can move it and if you can, look if there is something behind or under it.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:15 pm

Is there anything among/under the coins? I reach inside and feel around - I think it's just coins, but it's packed to the brim. I pull one coin out to examine it, when suddenly the chest slams shut and I hear several clicks. I try opening it again, but I can't. There must have been some security measure in this chest that closed and locked it when I removed my hand.
Any coin to be used in the vending machine? I did take one coin before the chest closed. It's about the size and weight of a quarter - a little thinner, though - so that should work, once I'm able to pry out the thing stuck in the coin slot.
Any coin to be used as a screwdriver (for the panel with screws)? Well, the coin is thin enough that it might work... and trying it out, it does work. I remove the screws and the panel swings down. Behind the panel is some circuitry, with some metal fuses fixed in place; I don't know what this is powering. There is a small Zippo lighter bridging the gap between two of the fuses.

Is there a glass shard from the broken window (for the cushion and/or poster)? No, any broken glass bits all went out the window.

This will take a lot, but.....for each object, try if you can move it and if you can, look if there is something behind or under it. I've already tried moving the chair and the pitching machine, but I'll try everything else.
-The nightstand is a little too heavy for me to move, and the toolbox on top of it is somehow attached to the nightstand. The metal chest with all the coins is also too heavy to move (there are metal handles on each side, I tried lifting it as well, it was too heavy), but I do notice the floor beneath it is cracked.
-The vending machine, bookcase, and long cabinet are all also too heavy to move.
-Obviously I can't move the fireplace, the guillotine is too heavy (and I don't want to even risk moving it), and I already tried moving the chest stuck with the wooden beam.
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 pm

"Is there a glass shard from the broken window (for the cushion and/or poster)? No, any broken glass bits all went out the window."
As someone who enjoys hosting and participating in these types of puzzles, as soon as I saw this question I thought to myself, "There is almost no way that the window did anything besides shatter completely."

If you remove the Zippo, what happens?
Try to ignite the lighter. Does it work?
CoffeeBean

Postby Balin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:33 pm

As someone who enjoys hosting and participating in these types of puzzles, as soon as I saw this question I thought to myself, "There is almost no way that the window did anything besides shatter completely." Yep. Well, that particular pane of glass did.

If you remove the Zippo, what happens? I take the lighter out and hear a sudden slam to my right. Looking over, I see that the closet is now completely blocked off by a metal gate that dropped from the ceiling.
Try to ignite the lighter. Does it work? Yes, the lighter works.
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:45 pm

Take the lighter, go over to the poster. Strike the lighter, hold the flame to the poster near the top, see if the waxy material melts, or even if you can set the poster on fire.
CoffeeBean

Postby Balin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Take the lighter, go over to the poster. Strike the lighter, hold the flame to the poster near the top, see if the waxy material melts, or even if you can set the poster on fire. Holding the flame near the top of the poster doesn't do anything. Holding the lit lighter near the bottom (where the arrows were pointing), however, results in the paperier area of the poster catching fire and quickly burning away, leaving a hole in the poster. Inside that hole is a small remote control.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:51 pm

How many buttons on the remote?
Try it on the chair. If the chair moves to a different position, try to see if you can reach the paper under it.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:25 am

How many buttons on the remote? Just one.
Try it on the chair. If the chair moves to a different position, try to see if you can reach the paper under it.
I point the remote at the chair and click the button. The chair (which was against the wall below the window) slides forward, then right along the tracks, then back against the wall under the other window, blocking my access to the metal panel with buttons. On the chair, the light bulb on the left arm is now on, and the one on the right arm is off.
Between the tracks is that piece of paper I saw earlier. It reads "Y5 R1 turn key."
And on the wall below the left window - the chair was blocking this earlier - is one more locked safe door. There are two red lights on it.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:52 am

Let's try the fireplace then: yellow lever in position 5, red lever in position 1, turn the red key.

What about this new safe? how is it locked? if it has a keyhole, try the silver key.

Check if using the remote again moves the chair where it was before.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:14 am

Let's try the fireplace then: yellow lever in position 5, red lever in position 1, turn the red key. I set the levers in those positions, but again, when I try to insert the key to turn, I feel an electric shock and the key will not stay in the keyhole.

What about this new safe? how is it locked? if it has a keyhole, try the silver key. I examine the safe as closely as I can, but I do not see a keyhole or any locking mechanism - just the two red lights and a handle to open the thing.

Check if using the remote again moves the chair where it was before. Clicking the remote again, the chair does move back along the tracks to its original position.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Is there a way to act on the circuitry behind the panel, maybe removing some fuses, in order to disable power to the fireplace keyhole?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Is there a way to act on the circuitry behind the panel, maybe removing some fuses, in order to disable power to the fireplace keyhole? No, the fuses and circuitry were all fixed in place, except for the lighter. (There is now a gap where the lighter was.) And I don't even know if the electronics here have to do with the fireplace, as removing the lighter locked off the closet.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Do you think it's a good idea to push the "something pink or purple or some shade of magenta stuck in the coin slot" (with the coin, maybe using oil too) into the vending machine?
Acridian9

Postby CoffeeBean » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:44 pm

If you replace the lighter, completing the circuit, does anything happen?
CoffeeBean

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:07 pm

Can you use the blade of the guillotine to open the cushion?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Do you think it's a good idea to push the "something pink or purple or some shade of magenta stuck in the coin slot" (with the coin, maybe using oil too) into the vending machine? I don't think so. And I need something thinner and pointier to pry it out.

If you replace the lighter, completing the circuit, does anything happen? Yes, the gate is gone and the closet is accessible again. If I need the lighter again, anything else about the same length should complete the circuit as well.

Can you use the blade of the guillotine to open the cushion? I reach up and swing the cushion across the guillotine blade, slashing it open. Removing the contents, I find three small paintings of flowers. One is of red flowers, one of yellow, and one of blue.
Checking the backs of the paintings, there is a small indentation shaped like a crescent moon in the back of each. The shape matches a hook on the wall next to the guillotine. (There is another similar hook, only larger, next to the bookcase.)
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Any other hooks around?
Also, try to see if you figure out what is pushing the key in the fireplace keyhole.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:16 pm

Any other hooks around? Only the two.
Also, try to see if you figure out what is pushing the key in the fireplace keyhole. I have no idea what's keeping me from putting the red key there right now.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Let's try to hang the paintings, all three to both hooks.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Let's try to hang the paintings, all three to both hooks. Any of the three flower paintings can fit on the hook by the guillotine (none on the hook by the bookcase), but only one at a time.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:47 pm

Sort of recap:
Any object you haven't accurately examined? Floor? Walls? Ceiling?
Objects still locked?
Objects in our "inventory"?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:35 am

Sort of recap:
Any object you haven't accurately examined? I mean, I've looked at everything in this room. The only thing I haven't really looked closely at was the pipe above the rightmost window that goes to the ventilation shaft, and that's because I can't reach it from the floor.
Floor? Walls? Ceiling? Nothing spectacular about the background, other than the cracked floor... actually, I correct myself. The rod above the red curtain has very long hook-like ornaments at either end that extend about two feet from the wall.
Objects still locked? Long cabinet, bookcase, fireplace, wooden chest (stuck to beam in closet), safe with red lights, safe with burner (in closet, although technically I don't know if that's even locked), button panel. The metal chest was unlocked and has re-closed. The right window is still nailed shut, although we did get the key behind the glass.
Objects in our "inventory"? Red key, small silver key, gold coin, oil can (full), remote, three flower paintings (red, yellow, blue). The lighter is currently between two fuses in the circuitry panel; I can retrieve it if I need it. I also have three papers: "CHAF," "OVM," "Y5 R1 turn key."
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Thanks for the recap.....I thought the pipe was part of the pitching machine!

So, can you move the chair under the pipe, stand on it, and examine the pipe?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanks for the recap.....I thought the pipe was part of the pitching machine!

So, can you move the chair under the pipe, stand on it, and examine the pipe? After doing this, I can clearly see a hole in the top of the pipe, as if something could be poured into it.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Is the ventilation on? If yes, is it blowing air into the pipe? or sucking air from the pipe?
Can you tell where a liquid poured in the hole would go? into the shaft? (btw...the shaft is on the ceiling or wall?)
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:57 pm

Is the ventilation on? No. If yes, is it blowing air into the pipe? or sucking air from the pipe?
Can you tell where a liquid poured in the hole would go? into the shaft? It looks like a liquid poured into the hole would travel through the pipe into the shaft, right by the opening in the wall.
(btw...the shaft is on the ceiling or wall?) On the wall, about the same height as the pipe.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Any other shaft around? Or someting that may be connected to the shaft? can you figure out where a liquid poured in the shaft would go? Would it be a good idea to pour oil in the hole?

Also, can you use one or more keys to extract the object jammed in the vending machine (maybe using oil to ease the task)?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:06 pm

Any other shaft around? Or someting that may be connected to the shaft? No, I don't see anything with this shaft other than the pipe. can you figure out where a liquid poured in the shaft would go? Probably into the shaft. Would it be a good idea to pour oil in the hole? Might as well...
I uncap the oil can and pour the contents down the pipe. I can hear a splashing at the other end. Standing over by the ventilation opening, I can smell the oil.

Also, can you use one or more keys to extract the object jammed in the vending machine (maybe using oil to ease the task)? No, the keys are a little too thick.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:00 am

Take a closer look at the crack in the floor.

I have no other idea except.....burning the oil!

Edit: Wait....that splashing sound....was it the sound of oil, or the sound of an object the oil moved to the shaft? Try examining the shaft/pipe to see if something is inside.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Take a closer look at the crack in the floor. I can't see much of it because the chest is resting directly on the crack. I can only see a few cracks sticking out from under the chest.

Wait....that splashing sound....was it the sound of oil, or the sound of an object the oil moved to the shaft? Try examining the shaft/pipe to see if something is inside. It's too dark to see in the pipe or the shaft, but to me it sounded like the sound of the oil splashing inside the vent.

I have no other idea except.....burning the oil! I retrieve the lighter from the circuitry, closing off the closet again. Since I can't reach the shaft, I turn on the lighter and toss it into the ventilation opening.
The oil ignites immediately, and I have to step back from the blast of heat. After recovering, I look at the shaft. The light from the fire has revealed the number 367 written on the back of the shaft opening.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:31 pm

Can you please recap, for each locked item, what is the locking mechanism? If there is one which requires a 3-digit code, try 367.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:06 pm

Can you please recap, for each locked item, what is the locking mechanism?
Excluding the things I've already unlocked:
-Safe with red lights: unknown
-Button panel: keyhole
-Fireplace: keyhole
-Chest in closet (fixed by wooden beam, behind metal gate): keyhole
-Metal gate: bridge the gap between fuses
-Bookcase: keyhole
-Long cabinet: three-digit combination

If there is one which requires a 3-digit code, try 367. The code does unlock the long cabinet. Inside is a saw, a piece of paper, and a book.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:15 pm

Please, examine/describe those objects.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:08 am

Please, examine/describe those objects. The saw is an ordinary hacksaw, looks fairly new, pretty sharp.
The paper has writing on it: "Y3, R4, key in."
The book looks exactly like the five collections that stood out earlier, except it only has one word on the cover: "GREGORY." The pages are blank.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:36 am

Ok..... Then let's try the fireplace again:
yellow lever in position 3, red lever in position 4, insert the red key;
yellow lever in position 5, red lever in position 1, turn the key.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:40 am

Ok..... Then let's try the fireplace again:
yellow lever in position 3, red lever in position 4, insert the red key; This works, as the electric shock is gone;
yellow lever in position 5, red lever in position 1, turn the key. and this works as well. A fancy gold key falls from the chimney and lands at the bottom of the fireplace.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:11 pm

Let's see what this new key opens.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Let's see what this new key opens. I try the key in everything I can access but it doesn't fit. I wasn't able to try it in the chest in the closet (the one fixed to a wooden beam) because the metal gate is blocking my access to it.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Can you use a key as a replacement for the lighter in the circuitry?
If yes, then try the key wuth the chest. Also, could you use the saw on the beam?
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:45 pm

Can you use a key as a replacement for the lighter in the circuitry? The small silver key is about the right size, so I stick that between the two fuses. It connects the circuit and the gate raises back into the ceiling.
Also, could you use the saw on the beam? After a bit of work, I'm able to cut away the beam and drag the chest forward. This will also let me reach the clock behind it.
If yes, then try the key with the chest. The fancy gold key fits. Inside this chest is... another key, this time a blue one.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Let's see what the blue key opens, and examine the clock.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:23 pm

Let's see what the blue key opens, After moving the chair back to the left, I found that the key fits in the button panel under the right window. I turn the key and the buttons pop out - I can now push them.
and examine the clock. It's an ordinary analog wall clock. There are no batteries in it, the glass on the front is missing, and the hands are pointed to about 10:35, although the minute hand is dangling more loosely.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:31 pm

Assuming the buttons have the following pattern:
A B C
H * D
G F E
try to press the buttons corresponding to CHAF, then pull the lever.

If it's possible, take the minute hand and try to get the jammed item from the vending machine with it. If it's a key, try it in the various keyholes.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:15 pm

Assuming the buttons have the following pattern:
A B C
H * D
G F E
try to press the buttons corresponding to CHAF, then pull the lever. I push those four buttons and pull. The buttons again retract and the center of the panel opens. Inside is another Fabergé egg, this one decorated red.

If it's possible, take the minute hand and try to get the jammed item from the vending machine with it. I am able to pull off the loose minute hand, and after prying with it, I pop the item out of the coin slot. It's a pink key.

If it's a key, try it in the various keyholes. The pink key fits in the bookcase keyhole. I turn the key and hear a slight click, but nothing has seemed to happen...
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:51 am

Examine the egg. Can it be opened? Is there something inside?
Look at the bookcase again: anything new? Can you move the books now?
Anything new with the safe with red lights? Try the remote on it.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Examine the egg. It's identical in appearance to the other egg, except red where the other one was green. It's also slightly heavier than the first one, but not by much. Can it be opened? No, I don't see a hinge or any other mechanism to open it. Is there something inside? I try shaking it, but I don't hear anything.
Look at the bookcase again: anything new? Not by sight. Can you move the books now? I try moving the books, but the only ones I can pull out are the five collections I noticed earlier. I can pull each of them out only a few inches, one at a time., and I hear a click when I do so.
Anything new with the safe with red lights? Nothing I can see. It's still locked. Try the remote on it. It moves the chair.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:39 am

If you can push all books back in place, do it, then try this;
pull Gorey, Rabelais, Ellison; push Gorey; pull Orwell; push Rabelais, pull Yeats.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:08 am

If you can push all books back in place, do it, Perhaps I misstated: I can pull those books out a few inches, but when I let go, they slide back into place.
then try this;
pull Gorey, Rabelais, Ellison; push Gorey; pull Orwell; push Rabelais, pull Yeats. I pull on those books (no pushing) in that order, and the back panel of the bottom shelf slides up, revealing a shallow compartment with three more flower paintings, again red/yellow/blue. Each painting has a large crescent-shaped indentation on the back.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:21 am

Let's try to hang the paintings on the two hooks: the two red first, then the two yellow and finally the two blue.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:05 am

Let's try to hang the paintings on the two hooks: the two red first, then the two yellow and finally the two blue. Looking around the room, I notice that when I hang the red paintings, the lights on the safe go out. They turn back on when I remove them and hang the others.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:13 pm

That's what I supposed....let's hang the red paintings and see in the safe opens.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:17 pm

That's what I supposed....let's hang the red paintings and see in the safe opens. With the red paintings on the hooks, both lights on the safe door are out. I turn the handle and the safe swings open, revealing stacks and stacks of money.

The clue for the safe was the two red flowers in the window box, by the way.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Examine the money and the inside of the safe. Any objects/clues?

Get 1$ (or a similar banknote), insert it and the coin in the vending machne. Get the glass of water and put out the burner. Wait for the safe to cool and try to open it (and examine it both outside and inside).
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:46 pm

Examine the money and the inside of the safe. Any objects/clues? According to the wrappers around most of the money, almost all of it contains exploding dye packs. I'd better not fill my pockets.

Get 1$ (or a similar banknote), There is a loose $1 bill against the side of the safe, I'll take that.
insert it and the coin in the vending machne. I deposit the money and a claw picks up the glass of water and lowers it into a slot at the bottom of the machine.
Get the glass of water and put out the burner. The water does extinguish the burner and helps cool down the safe door.
Wait for the safe to cool and try to open it (and examine it both outside and inside). I turn the handle on the safe and it opens. Inside is a long coil of rope.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:04 pm

Let's try to lift the metal chest on the crack: tie the rope to the metal handles, pass the rope over the long hook-like ornaments, tie the rope to the chair and use the remote.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Let's try to lift the metal chest on the crack: Good idea!
tie the rope to the metal handles, pass the rope over the long hook-like ornaments, I've done this...
tie the rope to the chair and use the remote. ...but not this, as the rope isn't quite long enough to reach the chair. Plus, I don't see where on the chair I could attach the rope.
Balin

Postby biograd » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:36 pm

Assuming you can't lift the chest by pulling on the rope with your arms, can you wrap the end of the rope around one of the tires of the pitching machine (maybe holding the free end with your hand to maintain the friction)?
biograd

Postby Balin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:49 am

Assuming you can't lift the chest by pulling on the rope with your arms, which I can't,
can you wrap the end of the rope around one of the tires of the pitching machine (maybe holding the free end with your hand to maintain the friction)? That's a better idea, but again, the rope isn't quite long enough. It's long enough to reach the machine, but not long enough to wrap around one of the tires with the other end tied to the chest.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:17 am

Please, check which objects the rope could be attached to.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:11 pm

Please, check which objects the rope could be attached to. The rope is long enough to reach the pitching machine - I think that was on the right track but I'm not sure how to progress further - but not long enough to wrap around it. I could also attach it to any of the items I have found and still have with me (remote, hacksaw, empty oil can, second egg, minute hand).
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:45 am

Ok, then let's try to attach the rope to the egg and then put the egg in the pitching machine.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Ok, then let's try to attach the rope to the egg and then put the egg in the pitching machine. I'll do this. I hope the machine has enough power to launch the egg with the weight of the chest...

...it absolutely does have enough power, as the egg went sailing out the window and pulled the chest all the way up to the hook. The spinning tires must be pulling the rope a little bit, as the chest is still hanging in place near the ceiling.
Balin

Postby Acridian9 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:03 pm

To the crack then! I'm guessing you'll find a key there....to open the door.
Acridian9

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:25 am

To the crack then! I'm guessing you'll find a key there....to open the door. I inspect the crack, but there's no key in there, or any other object.
There is one part of the crack that is wide enough for me to see through the floor... I can see all the way to the sea below. In fact, the floor is sagging a little bit under my weight, so I'd better not stand here.
Balin

Postby biograd » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:45 am

Wow, a chest that is too heavy to lift manually, but can be lifted by an object thrown by a pitching machine, and continues to rise even once that object is no longer in contact with the machine. I never would have imagined such a thing was possible!

Anyway, so is there anything you have not yet been able to unlock (except for the exit door)?

Is there any way to attach the rope to the exit door? I'm thinking that if you could do so, and the chest were to fall, then it would break the floor and continue downward, forcing the door open by pulling on it.
biograd

Postby Balin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Wow, a chest that is too heavy to lift manually, but can be lifted by an object thrown by a pitching machine, and continues to rise even once that object is no longer in contact with the machine. I never would have imagined such a thing was possible! To be fair, I said that I couldn't left the chest - I presume someone stronger could have lifted it. And it hasn't fallen yet because the spinning tires are contacting the rope and continuing to pull it up.
That said, I'm just as surprised you are that the egg was able to lift it. That machine must be more powerful than I'd thought.

Anyway, so is there anything you have not yet been able to unlock (except for the exit door)? No

Is there any way to attach the rope to the exit door? No, because there is no handle on the door, just a keyhole. I'm thinking that if you could do so, and the chest were to fall, then it would break the floor and continue downward, forcing the door open by pulling on it. However, I do like this idea of breaking the floor.
Balin

Postby biograd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:45 pm

Breaking the floor should be easy--you could just grab the rope and pull it out of contact with the tires (taking care not to get your hands mashed in the spinning wheels). If it's too stuck you could always saw through it!

However, I fail to see what that would accomplish (except creating a hole that you then have to worry about falling through), since it doesn't seem that the crack in the floor is close enough to the exit door that breaking it will free the door.
biograd

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:34 am

Breaking the floor should be easy--you could just grab the rope and pull it out of contact with the tires (taking care not to get your hands mashed in the spinning wheels). If it's too stuck you could always saw through it! Well, the saw won't cut the rope cleanly, and I don't want to risk catching my hands in the wheels. Of course, I could just stop the wheels from spinning...

However, I fail to see what that would accomplish (except creating a hole that you then have to worry about falling through), since it doesn't seem that the crack in the floor is close enough to the exit door that breaking it will free the door. ...you know, I never actually established that that door is the exit...
Balin

Postby biograd » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:49 pm

Well, then turn off the pitching machine. When the wheels aren't spinning, if the rope is still stuck, free it by pulling on the free end. I don't know how far away the switch for the machine is from the crack, but if it's close, be ready to run to the other side of the room?

You probably don't want to fall into a rocky cave from on top of a cliff! By the way, the whole setup with the cliff and the cave reminds me a lot of a book I read in middle school. That book was itself a lateral adventure--not an escape but a treasure hunt. The treasure map in fact pointed to a large rock on the top of the hill that acted like a sundial, casting a shadow toward the upper entrance to the cave at a certain time of day, and the cave is where the treasure actually was. The title escapes me right now--but let's hope YOU can escape THIS soon!
biograd

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Well, then turn off the pitching machine. I flip the switch. The chest immediately falls, pulling the rope (and egg) back through the window and through the tires. The chest smashes through the cracked floor, making a large hole. The egg catches on one of the curtain rods and stops, leaving the rope dangling through a hole in the ground.

When the wheels aren't spinning, if the rope is still stuck, free it by pulling on the free end. That would be difficult because the egg end is now fixed on one of the hooks for the curtain rod. I don't know how far away the switch for the machine is from the crack, but if it's close, be ready to run to the other side of the room? It was a few feet away. I didn't get injured.

You probably don't want to fall into a rocky cave from on top of a cliff! Actually, looking through the hole, I can see the chest dangling some feet below the floor.... and I think I can see another hanging rope below it...

By the way, the whole setup with the cliff and the cave reminds me a lot of a book I read in middle school. That book was itself a lateral adventure--not an escape but a treasure hunt. The treasure map in fact pointed to a large rock on the top of the hill that acted like a sundial, casting a shadow toward the upper entrance to the cave at a certain time of day, and the cave is where the treasure actually was. The title escapes me right now--but let's hope YOU can escape THIS soon! You are just at the end!
Balin

Postby biograd » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:09 pm

Do you think the egg is jammed in the curtain rod well enough to hold your weight on the rope (plus the chest)? If so, try climbing down it until you can see where the other rope goes.
biograd

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Do you think the egg is jammed in the curtain rod well enough to hold your weight on the rope (plus the chest)? I think so - I tugged on the rope and it seems to be holding solidly. If so, try climbing down it until you can see where the other rope goes. Carefully, I climb down through the hole and down (about 15 feet) to the chest.

From here, I can now see that there has been a wooden pier built out from the edge of the cliff, secured by many wooden beams to the cliff's face, and the house was built on the pier. I can also see another rope, within reach, tied to one of those beams and hanging all the way down to the beach below.

****SPOILER****

I carefully switch to the other rope and climb down to the beach. Once on the sand, I head away from the cave entrance and towards the car path.

I can see a car parked where the path meets the beach. It looks like my car... no, it is my car!

Running over to the car, I almost stumble over a backpack next to the driver's side door. Yes, this is my backpack. Looking through it, I see my phone, my wallet, my keys, my file folder... everything is here. But as I'm about to close the backpack, I notice a piece of paper slide out of the folder. I pick it up and read:

Value your tenacity,
Your cleverness and wit.
Remember my rapacity:
I'll see you in... a bit.

Unnerved, I enter the car, turn the key, and drive away.

Congratulations on escaping this room! If you'd like to play it online (sans storyline), you can find this room here. Thanks to Acridian, biograd, Earnest, and CoffeeBean, along with whoever I assuredly missed, for the hard work and solution!
Balin

Re: [Balin] The gravity of the situation (*ESCAPED*)

Postby Acridian9 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:26 pm

Very nice! Also the online one.
Looking forward to the one you can die in.
Acridian9

Re: [Balin] The gravity of the situation (*ESCAPED*)

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:28 pm

That will be the sequel.
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles