[Balin] A narrow escape

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] A narrow escape

Postby Balin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:58 pm

One prisoner openly assaults another in full view of several guards and prisoners, but he is not punished. Why?
Everyone in this story = H/A/M
Read on Internet, must be true
Balin

Re: [Balin] A narrow escape

Postby GalFisk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:25 pm

Another: another prisoner? He = one prisoner?
Assaults: beats? Cuts? Stabs? Shoots?
Did "another" start it?
Was "another" a danger to himself? A danger to someone? Is a test going on? Is anyone just acting? Are they staging a play in prison? Any weapons involved?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:01 pm

Are we talking of the last 10 years? Did it happen before WWI? Before WWII? After? During?

Did the one who assault the other eventually killed the other prisoner? Relevant? Were they "recent" prisoners? Or were they detained in prison for years? For months? Was the one of the first one who tried to assault firstly the other a sudden "movement" (don't know if it is clear...sorry) or something somehow organized (e.g. the other prisoner who had been assaulted was blocked by something or someone)?

Was it an execution? Was the prisoner the last executioner in the city? Guards = guards in uniform with weapons like guns?

Not punished...ok but was he blocked by the guards or did the guards simply look at him assaulting the other? Was the other able to react?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:53 pm

I think we could add ROIMBT to BOATS, FMOI and FSEI as a source abbreviation.

Was the prisoner committing what would under normal circumstances be a punishable offence? Should he have been punished in accordance with the rules? Were there mitigating circumstances? Were the guards being diligent in their duty?

Is this happening live? Are they both occupying the same physical space? Is prisoner B injured by the assault? Is A helping B by assaulting him? Is the manner of assault/battery relevant?
WiZ

Postby Balin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:03 pm

Another: another prisoner? Yes He = one prisoner? Yes (the assaulter)
Assaults: beats? Cuts? Stabs? Shoots? None of these
Did "another" start it? In a way
Was "another" a danger to himself? No A danger to someone? No Is a test going on? No Is anyone just acting? Yes, explore Are they staging a play in prison? No Any weapons involved? No

Are we talking of the last 10 years? No Did it happen before WWI? During the Spanish Civil War, but that is not relevant Before WWII? After? During?

Did the one who assault the other eventually killed the other prisoner? No Relevant? Yes
Were they "recent" prisoners? Or were they detained in prison for years? For months? Any of these are possible. Assume for a few months
Was the one of the first one who tried to assault firstly the other a sudden "movement" (don't know if it is clear...sorry) If you mean "was it a surprise assault," Yesish/Yope or something somehow organized (e.g. the other prisoner who had been assaulted was blocked by something or someone)? No, it wasn't planned in advance

Was it an execution? No Was the prisoner the last executioner in the city? No Guards = guards in uniform with weapons like guns? Yes

Not punished...ok but was he blocked by the guards No or did the guards simply look at him assaulting the other? Yes Was the other able to react? Yes

I think we could add ROIMBT to BOATS, FMOI and FSEI as a source abbreviation. I've updated the Abbreviations list.

Was the prisoner committing what would under normal circumstances be a punishable offence? Possibly, but I'm going to say No Should he have been punished in accordance with the rules? No Were there mitigating circumstances? Yes/Yope Were the guards being diligent in their duty? Yes

Is this happening live? Yes Are they both occupying the same physical space? Yes Is prisoner B injured by the assault? Yes Is A helping B by assaulting him? Not really Is the manner of assault/battery relevant? Yes
Balin

Postby CoffeeBean » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:07 pm

Is Prisoner A (the one doing the assaulting) acting with the approval of the guards?
Has A been told by the guards to assault B?
Do A and B interact prior to the assault?
Is there a relevant action that takes place before the assault? After it?
CoffeeBean

Postby Balin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:11 pm

Is Prisoner A (the one doing the assaulting) acting with the approval of the guards? Yes
Has A been told by the guards to assault B? No
Do A and B interact prior to the assault? No, but see below
Is there a relevant action that takes place before the assault? Yes After it? No
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:39 pm

Do the guards want B to be assaulted? Punished? Cowed? Injured? Does B want to be assaulted? Is a ruse relevant?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:57 pm

was the assault short? was B injured by A? Did A just want to see how B would have react? Did A want to scare B? Did the entire scene ended up with a laugh? Was it necessary for B to react? Was it a funny reaction? Did the reaction of B enabled the guard to do something? Like to block him?

Were A and B free to move? Were A and B quite before the assault? was A? was B?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:52 am

Do the guards want B to be assaulted? Punished? Cowed? Injured? None of these
Does B want to be assaulted? No
Is a ruse relevant? Yes, good question

was the assault short? Yes was B injured by A? Yes
Did A just want to see how B would have react? No Did A want to scare B? No Did the entire scene ended up with a laugh? Possibly. I laughed when I read the story Was it necessary for B to react? Yope Was it a funny reaction? No/Yope
Did the reaction of B enabled the guard to do something? Like to block him? No/Irrel to both

Were A and B free to move? Yes for A, YOPE for B Were A and B quiet before the assault? A was, B was NOT. Explore was A? was B?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:50 am

was A sleeping? and B was disturbing? Were also the guards sleeping?

B injured relevant where? On head? Arms? legs? hands? feet? injured by A right? Directly? Or due to the movements he did in order to defend himself?

Was B partially blocked by a tie/chain? Was B and A in a "narrow" space (title)? And maybe B was trying to "monopolies" the space? Relevant how B reacted?
Was A trying to steal something to B? To prevent B from doing something? To do something before than B? To stop B who was doing something? To simply make B move from the position where he was? was B in a particular position?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:13 pm

was A sleeping? No and B was disturbing? So no Were also the guards sleeping? No

B injured relevant where? Yes On head? Arms? legs? hands? feet? None of these injured by A right? Yes Directly? Yes Or due to the movements he did in order to defend himself? He didn't defend himself

Was B partially blocked by a tie/chain? No Was B and A in a "narrow" space (title)? Yes, relevant (also the only relevance of the title) And maybe B was trying to "monopolies" the space? Not in that way Relevant how B reacted? Yes
Was A trying to steal something to B? To prevent B from doing something? To do something before than B? To stop B who was doing something? This To simply make B move from the position where he was?
was B in a particular position? Yes
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:06 am

well..sorry for the guess...but...is a kick in the pants relevant? was B in a funny position/ in a position which somehow "cause" and stimulate A to assault him? E.g. was B bent? was B lying? was B crouched down? Did A push B? Kick B? Punch B? Bang head against B? were the prisoner nude in a bathroom (bath time) assault with a towel?

B injured part: testicles? Belly? Back? Bottom?

What B was doing: did he need a bathroom (ok...no FA please..don't know a less crude expression in english...please be kind to me xD)? did B need to move somehow? were the two prisoner in a cage? were they moving? were them in a prison?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:15 pm

well..sorry for the guess...but...is a kick in the pants relevant? Not a kick, but you have the right idea was B in a funny position/in a position which somehow "cause" and stimulate A to assault him? Yope
E.g. was B bent? was B lying? This was B crouched down?
Did A push B? Kick B? Punch B? Bang head against B? None of these
were the prisoner nude in a bathroom (bath time) assault with a towel? No

B injured part: testicles? This (surprised you didn't say "Balls" for the alliteration) Belly? Back? Bottom?

What B was doing: did he need a bathroom No (ok...no FA please..don't know a less crude expression in english...please be kind to me xD)? All good, I know what you mean did B need to move somehow? Yope were the two prisoner in a cage? No were they moving? B was relevantly moving. A was also able to move were them in a prison? Yes - specifically in a narrow hallway in the prison
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:35 pm

Did A assault B with a: foot? Hand? Knee? Elbow? Shoulder? His head? Torso? Butt? An object? A piece of clothing?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:22 am

Did A assault B with a: Hand? This
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:29 am

B was relevantly moving while lying...so was he relevantly turning? was he lying with legs open? was him nude? with eyes closed? did B relevantly "did something" with his penis?

assault = swat on his balls? (This (surprised you didn't say "Balls" for the alliteration) --> as I'm not mother tongue I am not sure of how rude I can be...but yes...I mean...my poetic strain would have suggested me to use balls instead xD) With the palm of his hand? with the back? did A tighten the balls of B in order to hear him while singing in falsetto (I mean with that shrill tone of voice) To see B open wide his eyes? aahhahaahha sorry...can't stop laughing
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:05 pm

B was relevantly moving while lying...so was he relevantly turning? Among other movements was he lying with legs open? Among other movements was him nude? No with eyes closed? Most likely did B relevantly "did something" with his penis? No

assault = swat on his balls? Not a swat, no

(This (surprised you didn't say "Balls" for the alliteration) --> as I'm not mother tongue I am not sure of how rude I can be...but yes...I mean...my poetic strain would have suggested me to use balls instead xD) Ha!

With the palm of his hand? This with the back?
did A tighten the balls of B in order to hear him while singing in falsetto (I mean with that shrill tone of voice) No To see B open wide his eyes? No aahhahaahha sorry...can't stop laughing I'd hope so - as I said, I laughed when I read the story!
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:23 pm

A slap? Push? Grab? Shove? Lift?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:43 pm

A slap? Push? Grab? This, more specifically a squeeze Shove? Lift?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 am

we need to figure out what happened before right? Something involving some "pun"? e.g. nutcracker? something said or done by B?...don't know if it is true also in US but a typical gesture of superstition is to touch the balls somewhere...so is this gesture relevant?

Was B complaining? Was B acting and annoying the others? Would it work also weather A had broken B's finger? Like A gave a reason for B to complain about?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:56 pm

we need to figure out what happened before right? Yes
Something involving some "pun"? e.g. nutcracker? No to these something said or done by B? Yes, something he was doing
...don't know if it is true also in US but a typical gesture of superstition is to touch the balls somewhere...so is this gesture relevant? No

Was B complaining? No Was B acting and annoying the others? Noish/Yope Would it work also weather A had broken B's finger? Possible but less likely Like A gave a reason for B to complain about? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:55 pm

B was doing a joke? was scratching? was annoying A? were A and B tied somehow (e.g. by a chain?)? was the position of B somehow disturbing for A?

What B has done = a prank? something that can be classified as disgusting?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:38 pm

B was doing a joke? was scratching? was annoying A? were A and B tied somehow (e.g. by a chain?)? No to these was the position of B somehow disturbing for A? Noish/Yope

What B has done = a prank? No something that can be classified as disgusting? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:52 pm

did he want B to change his actual position by squeezing his balls? was the squeeze short? or did A continue to hold B's balls on the palm of his hand for some time?

what B was doing...was he doing something with his balls? something involving balls at all?

Is anyone just acting? Yes, explore--> is it A? is it B?
did B and A agreed on doing that for a reason? To obtain a benefit?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:11 pm

did he want B to change his actual position by squeezing his balls? Yope
was the squeeze short? or did A continue to hold B's balls on the palm of his hand for some time? Could be either. Assume about a second

what B was doing...was he doing something with his balls? No something involving balls at all? No

Is anyone just acting? Yes, explore--> is it A? is it B? B
did B and A agreed on doing that No for a reason? To obtain a benefit?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:30 am

Was B mooning someone? Was B doing something obscene? Something rude? Did B know A was there?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:02 am

Did A wanted to test weather B was telling the true? Like B told he had the balls made of steel?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:29 pm

Was B mooning someone? Was B doing something obscene? Something rude? No to these Did B know A was there? Yes

Did A wanted to test whether B was telling the truth? YOPE Like B told he had the balls made of steel? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Want to test weather what A said was true? like he used an expression involving balls: e.g. you break my balls? I'm courageous? He lied about his balls?...did B actually have balls? (or was him eunuch?or did he have just one ball?)
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:23 pm

Want to test whether what A (I assume you mean B) said was true? ...strictly speaking, No! Notice the "Yope" above
like he used an expression involving balls: e.g. you break my balls? I'm courageous? He lied about his balls? No to all of these
...did B actually have balls? Yes (or was him eunuch?or did he have just one ball?) No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:44 pm

So A wanted to test something? If B was acting? If B was serious or not?

B was acting = he fake something? e.g. he faked to be sick? Not to breath? To have problems? Physical problems?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:08 am

So A wanted to test something? Yes If B was acting? Yes If B was serious or not? See below

B was acting = he fake something? Yes e.g. he faked to be sick? YES Not to breath? No To have problems? Yes Physical problems? Yes
Balin

Postby Earnest » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:23 am

relevant which disease B faked? did B fake to have a stomach ache? or is it relevant that B faked not to be able to stand up?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:49 pm

Did B fake unconsciousness? Sleep? Being drugged? Death?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:12 pm

relevant which disease B faked? Yes did B fake to have a stomach ache? No or is it relevant that B faked not to be able to stand up? Somewhat

Did B fake unconsciousness? Yes, explore Sleep? Being drugged? Death? No to these
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Unconsciousness from: violence? Accident? Medical issue? Substance? Brain trauma?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:48 pm

Unconsciousness from: violence? Accident? Medical issue? This Substance? Brain trauma?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:00 am

Issue with: brain? Lungs? Circulatory system? Was the prisoner faking illness in order to gain something?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:10 am

sore throat?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:08 pm

Issue with: brain? This, No to rest Lungs? Circulatory system?
Was the prisoner faking illness in order to gain something? Irrel
sore throat? No
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:10 am

Epilepsy? Concussion? Coma? Bacterial infection? Virus? Cancer? Neurological disorder? Brain fluid issue? Oxygen deprivation?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:07 pm

Epilepsy? This. Concussion? Coma? Bacterial infection? Virus? Cancer? Neurological disorder? Brain fluid issue? Oxygen deprivation?

****SPOILER****

(Yet again, this comes from the "Things I Learn From My Patients" thread. I added guards to the puzzle statement because I wanted a "not punished" aspect to the puzzle.)

This one is from my father. In the early 1940s he had the "pleasure" of being in jail for political reasons. At that time, Francoist prisons were NOT a fun place to be, especially if you were a "red" (like most of those in that particular prison were). The authorities didn't give a fig for the well-being of the prisoners; medical care was absent, and because my father was a doctor, he ended up ministering to the health of his fellow prisoners.
One day, he hears people shouting: "Call Don Jose! Call Don Jose! Quick!". My father went there, and saw three guys holding another who was shaking and convulsing and everything.
"What has happened?"
"We don't know! He just fell to the ground and began shaking like this! Looks like an epileptic fit!"
My father looked at the guy for a few moments, and told the other three who were restraining him:
"Release him"
"But Don Jose, he is having a fit! He will hurt himself!" (the place was narrow and there were some benches by the walls)
"Release him I say!"
So, the other guys, deciding that my father, as a doctor, possibly knew what he was doing, let the guy go.
After something like 20 or 30 seconds pass, my father says:
"See? Look at him. He is shaking and flipping like crazy... But, in this really narrow place, he is not hitting anything. This is no epileptic fit at all!
"Oh... So, what do we do?"
"No worries, I know what to do!"
With these words my father knelt by the thrashing guy, pulled down his pants, grabbed his balls and squeezed...
...It was a truly miraculous cure, indeed. The patient never had fits again.
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles