[Balin] Some Nescafé and ice

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Some Nescafé and ice

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:36 am

A man committed a murder and tried to conceal his crime using the following items:
-a small brass pipe
-a phone book
-a fountain pen
-a soldering iron

Explain how.

FSEI (specifically from a short story); murderer and victim are both H/A/M
Balin

Re: [Balin] Some Nescafé and ice

Postby GalFisk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:54 am

Murder by: poison? Firearm? Projectile? Blade? Blunt weapon? Suffocation? Strangulation? Fire? Heat? Cold? Starvation? Dehydration? Fall? Crash? Venom? Disease? Electrocution? Relevant?
Conceal: the victim? The cause of death? His involvement in the death? Edit: a weapon or tool involved in the death?
Did he use the iron to solder something? To heat something? To burn something? Did he write with the pen? Did he put the pen in the tube? Would any phone book do? If not, is the text in the phone book relevant?
Last edited by GalFisk on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:44 am

So to avoid repeating the same questions of Galfisk...:

Pipe --> was it linked eith other pipes? With other engines? With sonething else in general? Relevant?

Phone book --> would any other book be fine? Did he use just some pages of the book? The entire book? The cover? Some phone number in inside? To call someone?

Fountain pen --> did he write down something? Did he use the ink?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:02 pm

Murder by: Firearm? Projectile? YOPE to these
Poison? Blade? Blunt weapon? Suffocation? Strangulation? Fire? Heat? Cold? Starvation? Dehydration? Fall? Crash? Venom? Disease? Electrocution? No to these
Relevant? Yes
Conceal: the victim? The cause of death? His involvement in the death? This Edit: a weapon or tool involved in the death? But more importantly this
Did he use the iron to solder something? To heat something? This To burn something?
Did he write with the pen? No Did he put the pen in the tube? No
Would any phone book do? Yes If not, is the text in the phone book relevant? No

Pipe --> was it linked with other pipes? No With other engines? No With something else in general? No Relevant? Yes

Phone book --> would any other book be fine? No
Did he use just some pages of the book? The entire book? This The cover? Some phone number in inside? To call someone? No

Fountain pen --> did he write down something? No Did he use the ink? No
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:28 pm

Was something shot out of the pipe? Was it pressurized? Did he make an improvised weapon? Did any of the objects listed hit the victim?
Did the heat boil anything? Pressurize anything? Make something non-deadly into something deadly? Destroy something? Evaporate something? Ignite something? Was the victim given a gas embolism?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:28 pm

Was he trying to frame MacGyver?
WiZ

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:40 pm

Was something shot out of the pipe? Yes Was it pressurized? Yes (possible FA) Did he make an improvised weapon? In a way, Yes
Did any of the objects listed hit the victim? Yes
Did the heat boil anything? Pressurize anything? Make something non-deadly into something deadly? Destroy something? Evaporate something? Ignite something? This, No to rest
Was the victim given a gas embolism? No

Was he trying to frame MacGyver? I wish! But no.
Balin

Postby Earnest » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:02 pm

so pipe was used as a blowpipe? the idea is that he made an improvised weapon and hide it right? Like he build it up (with all the four items? Just some of them? were all items listed part of the weapon?) and then disassembled it?

so was the phone book ignited with the soldering iron? and the pen put inside the pipe? did he use the heat to "dissolve" something? the pipe? with the pen inside?
Earnest

Postby Grouffe » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Did he use the heat from the soldering iron on any of the other three items? One of them? Two of them? All three?
If on pipe: did he use the iron to change the shape of the pipe? Closing the tube?
If on Phone book: did he etch anything inside or on the front/back with it? Did he make it burn? Did he carve out a space inside the phone book with the soldering iron?
If on fountain pen: did he use it on the pen tip? Melting any if the plastic parts of the pen?
Grouffe

Postby Grouffe » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:23 pm

Puzzle heading relevant? Any Nescafé and/or ice involved?
Grouffe

Postby peter365 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:46 am

Grouffe wrote:Puzzle heading relevant? Any Nescafé and/or ice involved?

We do a lot of subtle and not so subtle referencing of REM song titles and lyrics on this forum so I'm guessing that's what Balin is doing here. I started this trend so I take full blame :lol:

Would any type of pen have worked? Is the ink a key component in the plan? Does it get heated? Is he trying to frame someone else for the crime? Make it look like suicide? Does he write a fake suicide note?
peter365

Postby GalFisk » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:55 am

Did something explode? Did he ignite a gas? A liquid? A solid? Was something pressurized until the pressure let go? Was the tube plugged and heated? Was the victum hit by the pen? The phone book? The pipe? The soldering iron? Was the phone book torn apart? Wetted and made into papier mache? Folded into origami?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:38 pm

so pipe was used as a blowpipe? No the idea is that he made an improvised weapon Yes and hide it right? Yope Like he build it up (with all the four items? Just some of them? Just some were all items listed part of the weapon?) and then disassembled it? Yesish

so was the phone book ignited with the soldering iron? No and the pen put inside the pipe? No did he use the heat to "dissolve" something? No the pipe? No with the pen inside? No

Did he use the heat from the soldering iron on any of the other three items? No! One of them? Two of them? All three?
If on pipe: did he use the iron to change the shape of the pipe? Closing the tube?
If on Phone book: did he etch anything inside or on the front/back with it? Did he make it burn? Did he carve out a space inside the phone book with the soldering iron?
If on fountain pen: did he use it on the pen tip? Melting any if the plastic parts of the pen?
So No to all of these

Puzzle heading relevant? Any Nescafé and/or ice involved? No, see below

We do a lot of subtle and not so subtle referencing of REM song titles and lyrics on this forum so I'm guessing that's what Balin is doing here. I started this trend so I take full blame :lol: Yep. I was going to use that full line ("A can of beans or black-eyed peas, some Nescafé and ice") as the title, since the puzzle also contains a list of seemingly arbitrary items, but there's a character limit to titles and the whole thing wouldn't fit.

Would any type of pen have worked? No (but other pens besides fountain pens could have worked) Is the ink a key component in the plan? No Does it get heated? No Is he trying to frame someone else for the crime? No Make it look like suicide? No Does he write a fake suicide note? No

Did something explode? Yes
Did he ignite a gas? A liquid? A solid? This
Was something pressurized until the pressure let go? Yes
Was the tube plugged and heated? No/Yope
Was the victim hit by the pen? The phone book? This; No to rest The pipe? The soldering iron?
Was the phone book torn apart? Wetted and made into papier mache? Folded into origami? No to these
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:40 pm

Was the victim hit by the entire phone book? Was the solid an explosive? If so: black powder? Modern gunpowder? Nitrocellulose? Was the explosion inside the tube? Did the tube act as a barrel for the projectile? Was one end of the tube sealed? If so, relevant how?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:37 pm

Was the victim hit by the entire phone book? Yes
Was the solid an explosive? Yes If so: black powder? Modern gunpowder? This Nitrocellulose?
Was the explosion inside the tube? Yes Did the tube act as a barrel for the projectile? Yes
Was one end of the tube sealed? No If so, relevant how?
Balin

Postby biograd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:11 pm

So the pipe was large enough in diameter to contain an entire phone book (when rolled up I assume)? When you said "small brass pipe" I was thinking of like a short section of typical home water pipe, i.e. something like 3/4 inch in diameter! If so, that's a major FA on my part.
biograd

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:38 am

So the pipe was large enough in diameter to contain an entire phone book (when rolled up I assume)? No

When you said "small brass pipe" I was thinking of like a short section of typical home water pipe, i.e. something like 3/4 inch in diameter! If so, that's a major FA on my part. The pipe is about two inches long and less than half an inch in diameter. I think you do have an FA, but not about the pipe.
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:24 am

Was the phone book tiny? Was the phone book ever inside the pipe? Was the phone book the only thing that hit the victim? Did the projectile travel a long distance (say, more than a meter) through the air?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:15 pm

Is the FA that the phone book was a projectile? Did the phone book hit the victim after traveling horizontally? Did it land on the victim? Did the impact of the phone book kill the victim? Did the phone book set off a chain of events that led to the death (perhaps made the victim lose his balance)?

Did the projectile hit the phone book? Was the projectile a bullet? If not, bullet-shaped? Bullet-sized? Just to be clear, the soldering iron is used to heat up the tube, correct? Is it used for anything else?

It could be another type of pen, but not any pen--> does it need to have a pointy tip? A cap? An ink cartridge? Does it need the capability to be empty? Not to work? To be ridiculously expensive? (You can tell I'm a huge fan of fountain pens)

Would it help to determine what the victim was doing at the time of death? Was the murderer present?
irishelk

Postby biograd » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:32 pm

I thought we have established that the victim was hit with the phone book (the entire book, not just a few pages). I also thought we had established that "the tube" acted like a gun barrel, which to me implies that the projectile and the gunpowder were fully inside of it. Even if the projectile was the pen, I can't see how it would have enough force to push a phone book with deadly force (and even if it could, wouldn't it be more effective just to shoot the victim with the pen--fountain pens have a sharp tip as far as I know?).

Is "the tube" in fact the pipe? or did some other "tube" quietly slip into the discussion? Was the phone book a full-size book, like the Yellow Pages or whatever (as opposed to, for instance, a stack of Post-Its that someone put by the phone and used to jot down numbers)?
biograd

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Was the phone book tiny? No Was the phone book ever inside the pipe? No Was the phone book the only thing that hit the victim? NO Did the projectile travel a long distance (say, more than a meter) through the air? No

Is the FA that the phone book was a projectile? Yes
Did the phone book hit the victim after traveling horizontally? No Did it land on the victim? No Did the impact of the phone book kill the victim? No
Did the phone book set off a chain of events that led to the death (perhaps made the victim lose his balance)? No

Did the projectile hit the phone book? No
Was the projectile a bullet? YES If not, bullet-shaped? Bullet-sized?
Just to be clear, the soldering iron is used to heat up the tube, correct? Not exactly, but close... Is it used for anything else? No (it is, but the "anything else" isn't relevant to the solution)

It could be another type of pen, but not any pen--> does it need to have a pointy tip? A cap? This An ink cartridge? Does it need the capability to be empty? Not to work? To be ridiculously expensive? (You can tell I'm a huge fan of fountain pens) I have never actually used a fountain pen. Cool.

Would it help to determine what the victim was doing at the time of death? I think it might... Was the murderer present? Yes

I thought we have established that the victim was hit with the phone book (the entire book, not just a few pages). Correct. I also thought we had established that "the tube" acted like a gun barrel, which to me implies that the projectile and the gunpowder were fully inside of it. Also correct. Even if the projectile was the pen, It wasn't, I can't see how it would have enough force to push a phone book with deadly force It didn't! (and even if it could, wouldn't it be more effective just to shoot the victim with the pen--fountain pens have a sharp tip as far as I know?). See above. The projectile was a bullet.

Is "the tube" in fact the pipe? Yes or did some other "tube" quietly slip into the discussion? No Was the phone book a full-size book, like the Yellow Pages or whatever Yes (as opposed to, for instance, a stack of Post-Its that someone put by the phone and used to jot down numbers)?
Balin

Postby biograd » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Was the pen cap used to hold the gunpowder? the bullet? or was the pen cap involved more indirectly in the explosion?

Did the bullet travel through the phone book? if not, did the bullet hit the victim before the phone book did? after? Was the phone book used to somehow conceal where the bullet was fired from? to distract the victim? to cause the explosion?

Dd the murderer directly trigger the explosion? or was this some kind of automatic booby trap? I'm thinking of something like the victim opens the phone book, which somehow triggers the soldering iron to fall on the tube, igniting the gunpowder and firing the bullet.
biograd

Postby Balin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:13 pm

Was the pen cap used to hold the gunpowder? No the bullet? OTRT! or was the pen cap involved more indirectly in the explosion? No

Did the bullet travel through the phone book? No if not, did the bullet hit the victim before the phone book did? after? This
Was the phone book used to somehow conceal where the bullet was fired from? to distract the victim? to cause the explosion? None of these

Dd the murderer directly trigger the explosion? Yes or was this some kind of automatic booby trap? No I'm thinking of something like the victim opens the phone book, which somehow triggers the soldering iron to fall on the tube, igniting the gunpowder and firing the bullet. I like this Rube Goldberg idea, but No
Balin

Postby irishelk » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:17 pm

The soldering iron ignites the gunpowder? Which explodes and fires a bullet out of the tube, killing the victim? Is it correct to say: the murderer used a soldering iron and tube to conceal his crime in the sense that he used them instead of a gun, which would be a more obvious (traceable?) weapon?

But before the bullet hits him, the phone book does. Seconds before? Minutes? Hours? Does the murderer manually hit the victim with the phone book? Is the phone-book-hit to conceal the real cause of death? To cause a bruise? To knock the victim unconscious?
irishelk

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:39 pm

The soldering iron ignites the gunpowder? Yes Which explodes and fires a bullet out of the tube, killing the victim? Yes Is it correct to say: the murderer used a soldering iron and tube to conceal his crime in the sense that he used them instead of a gun, which would be a more obvious (traceable?) weapon? Yes, but there is another reason he did not use a gun

But before the bullet hits him, the phone book does. Seconds before? Minutes? This Hours?
Does the murderer manually hit the victim with the phone book? Yes
Is the phone-book-hit to conceal the real cause of death? To cause a bruise? To knock the victim unconscious? This, and that is all you need the phone book for
Balin

Postby biograd » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:49 pm

Yes, but there is another reason he did not use a gun Would a gun have been restricted from the location where this occurred? whereas a piece of pipe and a soldering iron were allowed in no problem?

Was the pen cap used to compact the gunpowder inside the pipe?
biograd

Postby Balin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:06 am

Would a gun have been restricted from the location where this occurred? No whereas a piece of pipe and a soldering iron were allowed in no problem? They were already in the location

Was the pen cap used to compact the gunpowder inside the pipe? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:26 am

Yes, but there is another reason he did not use a gun --> physical problems like no fingers? he was one handed? one armed?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Could he not get a gun? Were the parts relevantly not recognizable as a gun? Did he want to pin the murder on someone else? On a suicide?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:11 pm

Yes, but there is another reason he did not use a gun --> physical problems like no fingers? he was one handed? one armed? No to these

Could he not get a gun? No Were the parts relevantly not recognizable as a gun? Yes Did he want to pin the murder on someone else? Yope; irrelevant On a suicide? No

I feel I'm needlessly complicating things; I apologize. The reason he did not use a gun is that he wanted investigators to think "how did the murderer get the gun out of the room" and look for a gun that wasn't there.

And you've also got most of the puzzle solved. The only thing left is the importance of the fountain pen.
Balin

Postby irishelk » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Was the cap of the pen the only part used? Did the cap touch the bullet at some point? Did it come into contact with the victim?
Did the murderer intend to make it look like the victim was writing? Going to write? Doing something else with the pen?
Would police see the cap when they arrived at the scene? Would they see the pen?
irishelk

Postby Balin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Was the cap of the pen the only part used? Yes, svv of "used" Did the cap touch the bullet at some point? No BUT... Did it come into contact with the victim? Yes
Did the murderer intend to make it look like the victim was writing? Going to write? Doing something else with the pen? No to these
Would police see the cap when they arrived at the scene? Would they see the pen? Not relevantly
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:56 pm

Was the cap used as a bullet? As a shell casing? Was the cartridge hidden inside the pen cap until it was ready to use?
GalFisk

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:17 am

Was the cap used as a bullet? As a shell casing? Neither, but...
Was the cartridge hidden inside the pen cap YES
until it was ready to use? No

But that's all I need:

****SPOILER****

This is the murder method in Clayton Rawson's "Nothing is Impossible," with several details (the murderer tried to make it look like aliens were responsible, no I'm not kidding, yes it's still a clever story) omitted.

The murderer knocked out his victim with a phone book, then shot him by placing a bullet cartridge inside a short length of pipe and igniting it with a soldering iron - the purpose, to make the authorities look for a "vanishing gun" when there was no gun. He then hid the empty cartridge in the cap of the victim's fountain pen so that the evidence (that the bullet was not fired with a gun's hammer, but the heat of the soldering iron) would be carried away from the scene.

Well-solved everyone.
Balin

Re: [Balin] Some Nescafé and ice (*VANISHED*)

Postby irishelk » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Nice!

But I still think it might have been aliens...
irishelk

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles