[Balin] Autocomplete didn't give me any title ideas

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Autocomplete didn't give me any title ideas

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:06 am

A man spends years looking for something, but it is his young son who receives the reward for finding it. Why?
Man = H/A/M
Son = H/C/M
Balin

Re: [Balin] Autocomplete didn't give me any title ideas

Postby WiZ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:20 am

Did he find it? Did his son find it? Did anyone find it? Is the something tangible? Intangible? Is the reward tangible? Intangible? Does the son look for it? If so, are they looking for it at the same time?

Is the search happening in the real world, in 3D tangible space? Is it within text? Of a book? The intertubes?

Is 'it' lost? Did it ever belong to him or his son? Did it belong to someone else? Was the reward explicitly offered for finding 'it'?

Could it be found quickly? Was he looking in the wrong place? Did circumstances change?
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:02 am

Were them homonyms? Is it due to a mistake? Or it went all as it should go? Was the child the rightful owner?

To be sure...son received it when the man died?...little WAG...was the man searching something that he had in inside and only with his death it was possible to recover it? Or again was the man searching something that just his death could reveal? Or again even crazier...the child was not yet born and the man was looking for something that was inside his wife. The wife bore and the child had on his hand the something that the man was looking for? Ahahahahaha I know those are crazy but I had to try
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Did he find it? Yes, after... Did his son find it? ...this Did anyone find it? Yes
Is the something tangible? Yes Intangible?
Is the reward tangible? Yes Intangible?
Does the son look for it? Yes BUT... If so, are they looking for it at the same time? Briefly

Is the search happening in the real world, in 3D tangible space? Yes (although this is not a true story, it's based on a puzzle book I had as a kid) Is it within text? Of a book? The intertubes? See previous

Is 'it' lost? Yes
Did it ever belong to him or his son? No Did it belong to someone else? Yes
Was the reward explicitly offered for finding 'it'? Yes

Could it be found quickly? Theoretically Was he looking in the wrong place? Definitely Did circumstances change? No, if I understand your meaning right

Were them homonyms? No Is it due to a mistake? No Or it went all as it should go? No? Was the child the rightful owner? Not initially

To be sure...son received it when the man died? No
...little WAG...was the man searching something that he had in inside and only with his death it was possible to recover it? Or again was the man searching something that just his death could reveal? Or again even crazier...the child was not yet born and the man was looking for something that was inside his wife. The wife bore and the child had on his hand the something that the man was looking for? Ahahahahaha I know those are crazy but I had to try No to all, but that last one is pretty clever
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:15 pm

relevant for solving the puzzle that they were father and son? Or that he was a child and the other an adult? (e.g. the son found the "something" in a way that would be considered inappropriate/indecent/embarassing... for an adult? Or in a place where usually children go but not adults?)
Did the son spend a lot of time to find it?

So son received a reward for having found it...does it mean that the object itself cannot be considered a a reward right? And that maybe the "something" was something that someone could grow fond? Is the "something" an object? A precious object? An animal? Something that change place often (e.g. a currency)? That could be smuggled?

Is the something usually found in specific places? In outside? In inside? Is it something with an historical value? Digging out relevant? Did the son relevantly exploited info discovered by the father (directly or indirectly)? Were father and son in competition when they searched the something?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:34 pm

relevant for solving the puzzle that they were father and son? Or that he was a child and the other an adult? Both (e.g. the son found the "something" in a way that would be considered inappropriate/indecent/embarassing... for an adult? No to these, but explore Or in a place where usually children go but not adults?) No
Did the son spend a lot of time to find it? No, good question

So son received a reward for having found it...does it mean that the object itself cannot be considered a a reward right? It could be And that maybe the "something" was something that someone could grow fond? Yes
Is the "something" an object? Yes A precious object? Yes An animal? No Something that change place often (e.g. a currency)? YES, explore That could be smuggled? No

Is the something usually found in specific places? It's not "usually found" In outside? It is popularly thought of as found here In inside?
Is it something with an historical value? Yes Digging out relevant? Yope Did the son relevantly exploited info discovered by the father (directly or indirectly)? Yope Were father and son in competition when they searched the something? No
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:09 am

Is it a stamp? A piece of paper? A letter? A coin? Is it made of iron? Gold? Paper? Glass? Ceramic? Is it something that the child found at school? That the child found in a place where he was used to go? E.g. a gym? Museum? Library? Or in a book he was reading? In some of his school's books?

Relevant the profession of the father? Did the child somehow exploited the profession/role of the father to search it in some places? Did the son actually search it with some effort or found it by chance?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:50 pm

Is it a stamp? A piece of paper? A letter? A coin? Many of these
Is it made of iron? Gold? This Paper? Glass? Ceramic?
Is it something that the child found at school? No That the child found in a place where he was used to go? No, but... E.g. a gym? Museum? This, nice guess Library? Or in a book he was reading? In some of his school's books? No to rest

Relevant the profession of the father? Yes, svv of "profession" Did the child somehow exploited the profession/role of the father to search it in some places? Yesish Did the son actually search it with some effort or found it by chance? More the latter than the former, but I wouldn't say it was pure chance
Balin

Postby Balin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:10 pm

RECAP (because I can't think of a good HINT that isn't too close to the $poyler):

A man spends years looking for something, but it is his young son who receives the reward for finding it. Why?

The "something" is made of gold, it is currency, and the son finds it in the presence of his father when they are visiting a museum.
Balin

Postby Earnest » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Was the museum the father's museum? Did the father work in the museum?

Did the son find a key? Was the object found by the son exposed in the museum? Behind a showcase?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Was the museum the father's museum? Did the father work in the museum? No to both

Did the son find a key? No Was the object found by the son exposed in the museum? Yes Behind a showcase? It was part of an exhibit, Yes
Balin

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:03 am

Was the museum unaware that it was part of their exhibit? Or unaware of the significance? Was it inside a container of some kind? Or were the coins themselves clearly visible? Are the coins ancient? Spanish gold?
Hobbsicle

Postby Grouffe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:56 am

Was the reason the son found it related to him being smaller than his father?
Grouffe

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:53 pm

Was the museum unaware that it was part of their exhibit? Yope Or unaware of the significance? Yes Was it inside a container of some kind? Yes, a chest Or were the coins themselves clearly visible? Yes
Are the coins ancient? Spanish gold? Pick your cliché "buried treasure," and that's what they are.
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:02 pm

is it in those games often in the museums? Like kids fake to be archeologist and need to find things in a sandy soil...well I have been in British museum and found something like that...don't know if it is common
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:49 pm

is it in those games often in the museums? Like kids fake to be archeologist and need to find things in a sandy soil...well I have been in British museum and found something like that...don't know if it is common Not this, but this isn't too far off the mark
Balin

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:35 am

So the father is a treasure-hunter of some kind? Is he looking for gold generally? Or the exact chest of gold in the museum?

So is the chest open with gold visible inside? Was the gold placed there by the museum at the time they created the exhibit? Or was the gold placed in the exhibit later? Is it a tableau of some kind (e.g. wax figures of pirates on a desert island)?

When the son points it out, does he recognize it as genuine? Or believe it is genuine on account of being a child?
Hobbsicle

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:01 pm

Youve pretty much got the solution. I'm on my phone right now; when I get to my computer I will post it.
Balin

Postby Balin » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:34 pm

So the father is a treasure-hunter of some kind? Yes Is he looking for gold generally? Or the exact chest of gold in the museum? This

So is the chest open with gold visible inside? Yes Was the gold placed there by the museum at the time they created the exhibit? Yes Or was the gold placed in the exhibit later? Is it a tableau of some kind (e.g. wax figures of pirates on a desert island)? Yes

When the son points it out, does he recognize it as genuine? Or believe it is genuine on account of being a child? This

****SPOILER****

The father is a treasure hunter who spent many years looking for a particular buried treasure. Never finding it, he gave up the hunt and raised a family. Near their home was a museum that had an exhibit on this treasure, including a chest with gold coins. The father took the son to visit the museum, and told him about his looking for the treasure, and never being able to find it. The son said "There it is!" and pointed at the replica chest. The father was about to dismiss it as just the replica, but he began thinking about it, did some investigating, and learned that the real chest had been hidden as the fake chest in the museum. He gave his son the credit.

Based on a picture puzzle book I read as a kid. Thanks for playing.
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles