[Earnest] Facilities

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Earnest] Facilities

Postby Earnest » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:58 am

3 meters more are two journeys less
Last edited by Earnest on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earnest

Re: [Earnest] Facilities

Postby Balin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:05 pm

Are all journeys made by the same person/people/creatures/item?
Are the journeys of the same length?
Are the three meters measuring length? Height? Depth?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:58 am

Are all journeys made by the same personyes/people/creatures/item?no to the others
Are the journeys of the same length? yes, nice question
Are the three meters measuring length?this...I am sorry for not having adopted the american measuring system but I wanted to avoid mistakes Height? Depth?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:31 pm

Did the person make only one journey? More than one?
If the "two journeys less" needed to be taken, would he have taken them?
Did he take the journeys on foot? By car? Train? Bus? Air? Boat?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:52 pm

Did the person make only one journey? noMore than one?this
If the "two journeys less" needed to be taken, would he have taken them?can you please rephrase this?
Did he take the journeys on foot?this and explore By car?not this but explore... Train? Bus? Air? Boat?no to the rest
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:41 pm

By truck? By other land vehicle?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:26 pm

By truck? By other land vehicle?no to these...he did the journeys by foot, but a car is also relevant...this was the explore
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:22 am

Did a car accompany him on the journey? Did a car follow him?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:12 am

Did a car accompany him on the journey? Did a car follow him? no, tiny FA here...keep exploring
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:22 am

Were these journeys made in modern days?
Was he accompanied on the journeys? If so, by the same person/creature/something throughout the entire trip?
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:38 am

Is laziness relevant? Haste? Do the metera measure a distance? A size? Is a gap relevant? River? Bridge? Car keys?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:38 pm

Balin

Were these journeys made in modern days?yes
Was he accompanied on the journeys? If so, by the same person/creature/something yesish for sonethibg depending on what you meantthroughout the entire trip?irr. to rest

GalFisk

Is laziness relevant?well I would say yes to this for the context Haste?but this could also work as well Do the metera measure a distance?yes to this, but...(see after) A size? Is a gap relevant? yes!River? Bridge? Car keys?no to these
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:20 am

Gap: between two similar objects? Between different objects? Does the gap change? Can the gap be crossed? Is it desirable to cross it? Difficult? Relevant what the gap contains? If so: air? Water? Rocks? Is it a gap between buildings?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Gap: between two similar objects? Between different objects?this Does the gap change?I would say it depends...it could be changed however Can the gap be crossed?yes with difficulty Is it desirable to cross it?yesish...explore Difficult?yes Relevant what the gap contains? If so: air?this Water? Rocks? Is it a gap between buildings?no to the rest
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:36 am

Gap - a chasm? Gorge? Fjord? Canyon?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:27 pm

Gap - a chasm? Gorge? Fjord? Canyon?no to these sorry
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Is the gap between two land masses? Two buildings or structures? One of each?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:17 am

Is the gap between two land masses? Two buildings or structures? One of each?no to these hint if you want following a suggestion of IrishElk:the gap was between two non natural objects...a wall and sonething else...explore
Earnest

Postby biograd » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:26 am

Is the "difficulty" of crossing the gap directly legally created? (I mean, "is it difficult because it's legally forbidden", not "were the people who built the two structures on opposite sides obeying the law")

I was imagining something like two areas of an airport, where for security regions it's illegal to cross a certain boundary, but if one were to take a departing flight and then an arriving one back to the same airport, one could legally go from one to the other. I know the "two journeys" were by foot and not by plane, train, or other form of public transit, but is the situation anything like this?
biograd

Postby Earnest » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:39 am

Is the "difficulty" of crossing the gap directly legally created? (I mean, "is it difficult because it's legally forbidden", not "were the people who built the two structures on opposite sides obeying the law")no and little FA

I was imagining something like two areas of an airport, where for security regions it's illegal to cross a certain boundary, but if one were to take a departing flight and then an arriving one back to the same airport, one could legally go from one to the other. I know the "two journeys" were by foot and not by plane, train, or other form of public transit, but is the situation anything like this?no but clever idea! Much simpler than that
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:46 pm

Does the journey go through the wall? Around it? Over it?
Same questions for the hypothetical journeys that don't have to be taken?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:05 pm

Does the journey go through the wall? Around it? Over it? FA about the journey if I had well understood
Same questions for the hypothetical journeys that don't have to be taken? n.r.

I would say that in order to simplify thibgs an hint is due: the gap was between my parked car and a wall...recaping it is relevant to cross the gap between my parked car and the wall...you need to figure out why and why 3 meters would have allowed me to make 2 journeys less ;)
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Did you have to open a different door? Was the ordinary door too close to the wall?
Balin

Postby biograd » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:32 pm

So with this new info it seems that the puzzle statement means "Had I parked 3 meters farther from the wall, I would have had to walk a certain distance two fewer times". Is that a correct interpretation?

Assuming the problem was in fact that one door couldn't be opened, was there a passenger who had to get in or out on that side? an item that had to be taken in or out on that side? a part of the car itself that could only be reached on that side (such as a latch to open the trunk or the gas tank)?

Were the "journeys" (which we know were by foot) just a matter of walking partway around the car? or walking into a building and out again?
biograd

Postby Earnest » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:32 am

Did you have to open a different door? Was the ordinary door too close to the wall?this very relevant but not exactly a door

biograd

So with this new info it seems that the puzzle statement means "Had I parked 3 meters farther from the wall, I would have had to walk a certain distance two fewer times". Is that a correct interpretation?exactly

Assuming the problem was in fact that one door couldn't be opened, was there a passenger who had to get in or out on that side? an item that had to be taken in or out on that side? THISa part of the car itself that could only be reached on that side (such as a latch to open the trunk or the gas tank)?

Were the "journeys" (which we know were by foot) just a matter of walking partway around the car? or walking into a building and out again?and part of this

think it's time for a...
***$POILER***
So me and one of my friends went to a supermarket. When we came back home he parked his car too near to the wall delimiting his garden, so that, even though it was possible with not few difficulties to cross the gap between car and wall for a person, it was quite impossible to cross it for a person with the items bought at the supermarket. Because his mum came after us parking her car in front of the one of my friend, we decided then to remove the plastic coverage of the trunk from the inside of the car and took away the items directly from the inside of the car. This elaborate operation required 3 journeys because it was quite uncomfortable and impossible to take as much as the items that instead we could have taken had the car been parked two meters further from the wall. So...hope you've enjoyed the puzzle. Many thanks to Balin for the many questions, biograd to the solution and all the others for having partecipate. Sorry for any confusion I made!
Earnest

Re: [Earnest] Facilities (SOLVED)

Postby Earnest » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:33 am

Earnest wrote:3 meters more are two journeys less
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles