[☠] A Halloween Special

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[☠] A Halloween Special

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:52 am

It is the witching hour here in Highgate, but I am still wide awake, for there is no rest for the wicked. Or anyone, really, thanks to all the people arsing about. Keep it down, for heaven's sake. And I've had a closer brush with heaven than most...

In celebration of this fateful day, a fatal puzzle...

A teenage boy is having a typical evening out with his friends. Then two tiny accidents happen. He then dies of fright. What had happened?
Last edited by Literally a Skeleton on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Literally a Skeleton

Re: [☠] A Halloween Special

Postby Earnest » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:08 am

Hi Literally a Skeleton...well....frightening to be said but...I think we've never met before in the forum :)

So...relevant that he was a teenage? If so...evening out = cinema? Pub? Restaurant? They just went out on the street? Party? Bowling? Relevant where they went out?
Tiny accidents when he was out with friends = at the beginning of the evening? At the end? During? accidents regarding just him and not his friends? Accidents that have been noticed by the friends? Accidents regarding his car? Tiny accidents connected one to another? Did the second accident happen minutes/seconds/hours/days after the other?

Did he die of fright hours after? Days after? Did he die of fright directly because of the tiny accidents? (e.g. he thought that the accidents were connected and he saw sonething that made him think that he was going to die?) Was he afraid of dying? Of being discovered? Of being killed?
Was him afraid as a consequence of a pun? Because he saw someone masked? Did he die of heart attack? Did he die for an accident (e.g. panic)? In trying to save himself?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:40 pm

Pleasure to see you among the walking; rarely have I seen a puzzler with more lateral skull... er, skill.

Is either accident that of the, er, kind that would ordinarily require a bathroom?
Does this take place on or around Halloween?
Balin

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Earnest

Hi Literally a Skeleton...well....frightening to be said but...I think we've never met before in the forum :) It's always a pleasure to see a new face... of course, in our case, the pleasure is entirely mine. Still, you can trust me; I'm one stage further removed from being two-faced than the rest of these forum members.

Now, I shall stop flapping what used to be my gums and answer your excellent questions.

So...relevant that he was a teenage? yes If so...evening out = cinema? Yes, this Pub? Restaurant? They just went out on the street? Party? Bowling? no to these Relevant where they went out? Yes
Tiny accidents when he was out with friends = at the beginning of the evening? At the end? During? During, in both cases accidents regarding just him and not his friends? no Accidents that have been noticed by the friends? yes, although not altogether relevantly Accidents regarding his car? no Tiny accidents connected one to another? yes Did the second accident happen minutes/seconds/hours/days after the other? Minutes, I would say, although one's concept of time changes post-mortem.

Did he die of fright hours after? Days after? no to these Did he die of fright directly because of the tiny accidents? (e.g. he thought that the accidents were connected and he saw sonething that made him think that he was going to die?) yes Was he afraid of dying? not in general Of being discovered? Of being killed? no to these
Was him afraid as a consequence of a pun? no (although they say the pun is mightier than the sword...) Because he saw someone masked? no Did he die of heart attack? yes, a cardiac arrest - I'm no longer an expert in affairs of the heart, however Did he die for an accident (e.g. panic)? no In trying to save himself? no

Balin

Pleasure to see you among the walking; rarely have I seen a puzzler with more lateral skull... er, skill. I posit that I'm at an unfair advantage - I do spend rather a greater proportion of my time lateral than the living do.

Is either accident that of the, er, kind that would ordinarily require a bathroom? no
Does this take place on or around Halloween? Not necessarily, although it is perhaps a little more likely to...
Literally a Skeleton

Postby Earnest » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:58 am

Relevant what they saw at the cinema? Like "Final destination"? Cinema = a drive-in cinema? A normal cinema? Were accidents and the fright of the boy connected by the movie they've seen?

Did the two tiny accidents happen directly to him? Tiny accidents at the cinema? Or maybe they after went out in an entertainment park/Ferris wheel?
Tiny accidents = engines stopping? Something stopped working? A light which went out?
Earnest

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:53 pm

Relevant what they saw at the cinema? yes Like "Final destination"? not that, but you're warm on the genre Cinema = a drive-in cinema? noA normal cinema? It is a cinema as one would ordinarily conceive of one Were accidents and the fright of the boy connected by the movie they've seen? yes

Did the two tiny accidents happen directly to him? Yes Tiny accidents at the cinema? Yes Or maybe they after went out in an entertainment park/Ferris wheel? They were not
Tiny accidents = engines stopping? Something stopped working? A light which went out? No to these
Literally a Skeleton

Postby trebor » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:27 pm

Did he die during the movie? After it? While he was still in the cinema? If so, in the actual theatre part of it? Did they see a horror film? Did the accidents happen to him and his friends? To other people as well? Do either or both of the accidents involve the film? Are cinema employees relevant? Is it relevant whether he and his friends purchased anything from the concession? Whether they purchased their tickets or snuck in? Was it a film that they were not supposed to have admittance to? Due to their age?
trebor

Postby irishelk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:41 pm

Could the "accidents" be called mistakes? Inconveniences? Or are they more like "accidents of fate," coincidences? Is either accident that the movie stops playing?

Does he have the accidents himself (i.e., he trips and falls)? Are they someone else's accidental actions?

Does he come to believe that he will befall the same fate as the characters onscreen? That the psycho killer in the film is coming for him? Or a supernatural killer perhaps? Is the exact film they see relevant?
irishelk

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:54 pm

Trebor

Did he die during the movie? yes After it? no While he was still in the cinema? yes If so, in the actual theatre part of it? yes Did they see a horror film? yes Did the accidents happen to him and his friends? yes, both parties were involved To other people as well? no Do either or both of the accidents involve the film? yes Are cinema employees relevant? no Is it relevant whether he and his friends purchased anything from the concession? yes Whether they purchased their tickets or snuck in? no Was it a film that they were not supposed to have admittance to? no Due to their age? n/a

IrishElk

Could the "accidents" be called mistakes? yes Inconveniences? yes Or are they more like "accidents of fate," coincidences? No, although this poor lad is a victim of circumstances Is either accident that the movie stops playing? no

Does he have the accidents himself (i.e., he trips and falls)? yes, in one case Are they someone else's accidental actions? yes, in the other

Does he come to believe that he will befall the same fate as the characters onscreen? yes That the psycho killer in the film is coming for him? yesish, explore Or a supernatural killer perhaps? There is something of a supernatural element Is the exact film they see relevant? Yes (at least at the franchise level)
Literally a Skeleton

Postby irishelk » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:26 pm

Did they purchase concessions? Popcorn? Candy? Soda? Was one accident that a foreign object was dropped into the concessions? If so, something poisonous?

Did the accident that was his action involve the concessions? Did he spill them?

Were they watching Halloween? Scream? Friday the 13th? Nightmare on Elm Street?
irishelk

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:16 pm

Did they purchase concessions? yes Popcorn? Candy? irrelevant Soda? yes Was one accident that a foreign object was dropped into the concessions? no If so, something poisonous? n/a

Did the accident that was his action involve the concessions? no Did he spill them? *he* didn't, but...

Were they watching Halloween? Scream? Friday the 13th? Nightmare on Elm Street? This, no to rest
Literally a Skeleton

Postby Balin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:54 pm

Did he fall asleep during the movie?
Did his friend spill concessions? A drink? Was the concession spilled onto him? Onto the friend?
Balin

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:41 am

Did he fall asleep during the movie? yes
Did his friend spill concessions? A drink? Was the concession spilled onto him? yes to all these Onto the friend? no

You have the bones of the thing, I think. Time to assemble the Skeleton...
Literally a Skeleton

Postby Balin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:15 pm

I haven't seen A Nightmare on Elm Street, but I do know the gist of the plot.

Did the spilled soda (or a consequence of the spill - perhaps his friend tried to wipe it off?) make him think that Freddy was attacking him from his dream? Did he dream that Freddy was doing so and the soda scared him half (fully, actually) to death?
Balin

Postby Literally a Skeleton » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:31 pm

****** SPOILER ******

To be fair, I don't think I could say it better than Balin did. To be fair, I don't think I could say anything at all.

"Did the spilled soda (or a consequence of the spill - perhaps his friend tried to wipe it off?) make him think that Freddy was attacking him from his dream? Did he dream that Freddy was doing so and the soda scared him half (fully, actually) to death?"

Congratulations, Balin. Although a dwarf by name, you are clearly a giant among puzzle solvers. And you've saved me the ignominy of hosting a Halloween puzzle that lasted until December. Just...
Literally a Skeleton

Re: [☠] A Halloween Special [☠]

Postby Balin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks! (Time to get the Christmas decorations up, methinks...)
Balin

Re: [☠] A Halloween Special [☠]

Postby irishelk » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:25 pm

You know what Mr. Creaky Bones? Just because my Halloween puzzle is still going on, doesn't mean you can come in here and make fun...

Just kidding. Great puzzle.
irishelk

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles