[WiZ] A Doubtful Thomas

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] A Doubtful Thomas

Postby WiZ » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:54 am

Thomas is a wealthy man of a certain profession. His professional successes and failures are a precise mirror of another man's, thousands of miles away. The two have never met and are in no way responsible for each other. What does Thomas do?
Last edited by WiZ on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] A Doubtful Thomas

Postby Earnest » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:01 am

Hi WiZ?

Do they know the existence of the other? Do they expect that there exists another man like them? If so in a precise part of the world? In every country?

Do their successes and failures depend from the successes and failures of the other? Are successes and failures somehow complementary, i.e. if one succeeeds the other fails and viceversa? Or if one succeeds the other succeeds and viceversa? Is it automatic? That is...every failure of one is a sure success of the other? If so, is one able to understand if the other failed? relevant how one is able to understand if the other failed? Because sonething is not delivered? Because more people come to him to ask for a service?
Do their professions involved politic? International trade? Production of an object/item? Provision of a service?

Do they work for the same company in different parts of the world? For concurrent companies? Does the other man have the same role of Thomas? Online services involved?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi WiZ? Hi, Earnest. That's a pretty good approximation of the New Zealand accent - we tend to end sentences with inflections which makes everything sound like a question? As illustrated by the previous sentence?

Do they know the existence of the other? yes Do they expect that there exists another man like them? yes If so in a precise part of the world? yes In every country? no

Do their successes and failures depend from the successes and failures of the other? yes; from Thomas' perspectiveAre successes and failures somehow complementary, i.e. if one succeeeds the other fails and viceversa? no Or if one succeeds the other succeeds and viceversa? yes Is it automatic? That is...every failure of one is a sure success of the other? yes If so, is one able to understand if the other failed? yes relevant how one is able to understand if the other failed? yes Because sonething is not delivered? yesish Because more people come to him to ask for a service? yope
Do their professions involved politic? no International trade? no Production of an object/item? noish Provision of a service? yes

Do they work for the same company in different parts of the world? yesish For concurrent companies? no Does the other man have the same role of Thomas? yesish Online services involved? not relevantly
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:57 pm

Bit confused by previous answers - by "mirror" do you mean that everything Thomas succeeds in, the other man also succeeds in, and everything Thomas fails in, the other man also fails in? Or that Everything Thomas succeeds in, the other man fails in? Or vice versa?

Is this mirroring of success and failures by design? Is it the outcome of something in the way the company is set up?
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:00 pm

Bit confused by previous answers - by "mirror" do you mean that everything Thomas succeeds in, the other man also succeeds in, and everything Thomas fails in, the other man also fails in? Correct Or that Everything Thomas succeeds in, the other man fails in? Or vice versa? no

Is this mirroring of success and failures by design? Yes, in that it is expected Is it the outcome of something in the way the company is set up? Yes
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Would the successes and failures happen at the same time for both men? Would one always "lead" the other? If so, would Thomas experience the success/failure first? The other man?

Is the other man also wealthy?

Does this hold true for all professional successes and failures? If Thomas was promoted, would the other man be promoted? If he got given a bigger office, would the other man also be given a bigger office?

Edit - just PMed you a guess...
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:12 pm

Would the successes and failures happen at the same time for both men? not exactly Would one always "lead" the other? yes If so, would Thomas experience the success/failure first? The other man? this

Is the other man also wealthy? yes

Does this hold true for all professional successes and failures? yes If Thomas was promoted, would the other man be promoted? FA, I think If he got given a bigger office, would the other man also be given a bigger office? FA

Edit - just PMed you a guess... You are correct!
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:52 am

Finance relevant? Trade? Communications? Electronic communications? War? Food? Are there other pairs like these? Are all participants in this thing rich? Are our heroes rich because they do this thing? Does the other man "lead" anyone besides Thomas in the same way?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:48 am

Hi, Earnest. That's a pretty good approximation of the New Zealand accent - we tend to end sentences with inflections which makes everything sound like a question? As illustrated by the previous sentence? ---> ahhahahah I'm learning accents ;)

Do the two have the same profession?
Are both wealthy because their successes were more than their failures? So is the other man more interested than Thomas to know and monitor the performances of Thomas than viceversa? If so is the man able to know yhe performances of Thomas in newspapers? In news? In the value of his action going down?

Thomas = manager? Can the other man be classified as a supplier of Thomas? A client? An investor? A concurrent? The provider of a service which is strictly connected to the service provided by Thomas? Something like if one buys Thomas'service he indirectly buys also the man's service?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:17 pm

GalFisk

Finance relevant? no Trade? no Communications? noish Electronic communications? noish War? no Food? no Are there other pairs like these? Are all participants in this thing rich? no Are our heroes rich because they do this thing? Does the other man "lead" anyone besides Thomas in the same way? no

Earnest

ahhahahah I'm learning accents ;) If I were to give you the full New Zealand English experience, I would answer every question with 'yeah nah' and you'd have to read into the tone.

Do the two have the same profession? yes, small ish
Are both wealthy because their successes were more than their failures? yes So is the other man more interested than Thomas to know and monitor the performances of Thomas than viceversa? no If so is the man able to know yhe performances of Thomas in newspapers? probably not - Thomas' performance would be unlikely to be widely publicised In news? In the value of his action going down? see above

Thomas = manager? no Can the other man be classified as a supplier of Thomas? no, world's smallest ish A client? no An investor? no A concurrent? If you mean someone providing a joint/contributory effort, then yes. If you mean a rival, then no The provider of a service which is strictly connected to the service provided by Thomas? yes Something like if one buys Thomas'service he indirectly buys also the man's service? yes, I would say this is accurate
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Ok...service = transport? Hotels? Connected to tourism? Television? Entertainment? Taxi? Education? Hospitals? Politic? Comunication (e.g. phones'companies)? Internet providers? A service connected to health? House? Well being?

Service of the men is visible to the consumer/client of Thomas? E.g. through a logo, something that says that the service was provided by the men? Can the service of thomas be performed without the service of the men? Is the service of the men directly a service to the consumer? Or a product that makes the service of thomas simpler?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:11 pm

Ok...service = transport? Hotels? Connected to tourism? Television? yesish Entertainment? yes Taxi? Education? Hospitals? Politic? Comunication (e.g. phones'companies)? Internet providers? no to rest A service connected to health? House? no to these Well being? not really

Service of the men is visible to the consumer/client of Thomas? yes E.g. through a logo no, something that says that the service was provided by the men? yes, this is formally acknowledged Can the service of thomas be performed without the service of the men? yes, although he'd be far less likely to become rich Is the service of the men directly a service to the consumer? Or a product that makes the service of thomas simpler? this is closer
WiZ

Postby Balin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:57 pm

Is Thomas an actor? A comedian? Does he portray the other man? Satirically?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:39 am

Is Thomas an actor? yesish A comedian? no Does he portray the other man? yope Satirically? no
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:09 am

Is cinema relevant? Movies? Is Warner bros or any production if the kibd relevant? Is the man becoming famous thanks to Thomas? Is Thomas an actor in a series? Or is him a film director who made the man (maybe a writer) famous (he made the movie of the man's books)?

premise: I think the following do not fit, but I was wondering wheter they could be somehow plausible before we discovered that the profession was somehow related to television/cinema
Before with the logo I was thinking about Thomas being a football player and the men providing the sponsor...but not being the service visible I would rephrase into: is Thomas a football player and the man the software developer of the play station game in which Thomas apperas? Is the man the one who produces shoes/images of Thomas?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:26 pm

Is cinema relevant? yes Movies? yes Is Warner bros or any production if the kibd relevant? Hollywood is relevant, yes Is the man becoming famous thanks to Thomas? no Is Thomas an actor in a series? no Or is him a film director who made the man (maybe a writer) famous (he made the movie of the man's books)? no

premise: I think the following do not fit, but I was wondering wheter they could be somehow plausible before we discovered that the profession was somehow related to television/cinema
Before with the logo I was thinking about Thomas being a football player and the men providing the sponsor...but not being the service visible I would rephrase into: is Thomas a football player and the man the software developer of the play station game in which Thomas apperas? Is the man the one who produces shoes/images of Thomas? no - their working relationship is even more tightly dependent than in your example
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:35 pm

One is the double of the other? Is it valid for all movies? For a movie in particular?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:38 pm

One is the double of the other? yope to yesish, explore Is it valid for all movies? yes For a movie in particular? no
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:22 pm

One the dubber of the other?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:29 pm

One the dubber of the other? Yes!

***** SPOILER *****

In Germany, dubbing English-language films into German is popular and commonplace. So much so, that voice actors can be paired exclusively with Hollywood actors for life. German voice actor Thomas' work, therefore, is entirely contingent on his Hollwood A-Lister being offered parts in films!

Congratulations, Earnest, on a well-deserved solve, and Danke schön everyone else for playing.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] A Doubtful Thomas [BEYOND A DOUBT]

Postby Earnest » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Very nice WiZ! I confirm my affection into yours and Balin's puzzles ;)
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles