[Balin] Up the down staircase

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Up the down staircase

Postby Balin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:29 pm

Why does a man spend several minutes looking for the elevator in a building that he knows has no elevator?
Balin

Re: [Balin] Up the down staircase

Postby GalFisk » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:41 pm

Has it had one? Will it have one? Is he seen doing this? Does he think he might be seen? Is he pretending to be less familiar with the building than he really is? Is there anything indicating there might be an elevator there? Does he need an elevator? Is he some sort of inspector?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:06 am

Did he manifest his need of an elevator? Did he want to know wheather someone was aware/not aware of the fact that thete was not an elevator?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:17 pm

Has it had one? Will it have one? Irrel
Is he seen doing this? Possibly, assume No Does he think he might be seen? Yes but Irrel Is he pretending to be less familiar with the building than he really is? No Is there anything indicating there might be an elevator there? Yope Does he need an elevator? No Is he some sort of inspector? No

Did he manifest his need of an elevator? No Did he want to know whether someone was aware/not aware of the fact that there was not an elevator? No
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Relevant what kind of building? Relevant how he knows it has no elevator? Has he been there before? Any signs relevant? Disabilities relevant?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Did he exploit the fact that nobody knew wheather there was an elevator or not? E.g. waste time in order to wait for something to happen?

Was him inside the building? Outside? Was him at the first floor? Second? Less? More? Relevant? Were there stairs? Was the elevator he was looking for painted (e.g. those buildings under constructions with that billboards painted with the things that are going to be there?)? Was there a twin building? Was it an historical building? Did he have a camera? Was the buikding a skyscraper? Did it have morr than one floor? Relevant what was there in the building?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:56 pm

Relevant what kind of building? Yes Relevant how he knows it has no elevator? See next Has he been there before? Yes Any signs relevant? No Disabilities relevant? No

Did he exploit the fact that nobody knew whether there was an elevator or not? No - everyone knew there was no elevator E.g. waste time in order to wait for something to happen?

Was him inside the building? This Outside?
Was him at the first floor? Second? Less? More? Relevant? Were there stairs? Assume the building only has one floor
Was the elevator he was looking for painted No (e.g. those buildings under constructions with that billboards painted with the things that are going to be there?)? Not like this Was there a twin building? Yesish/Yope! Was it an historical building? No Did he have a camera? No Was the buikding a skyscraper? No Did it have morr than one floor? Assume No Relevant what was there in the building? Yes
Balin

Postby WiZ » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:02 pm

Is this a serious exercise? A game? Is the man in any way mistaken? Is it his house/apartment? Place of work? Will our hero ever pretend to have 'found' the lift? Will he eventually give up and realise that he will not find an elevator?

When I was in Finland, the signs for elevators would be in Finnish, Swedish, and English. They would read 'Hissi, Hiss, Elevator'. I thought, crikey, that's a strong expression of civic contempt for a bloody elevator.
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:26 pm

So was there an elevator in the twin building?

Was it a new buioding? Was there the same activity in both floors? Was there a way to go uo? Stairs? Activity done in the building connected to hospitals? Offices? Hotels?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:29 pm

Is this a serious exercise? DOYD of "exercise" A game? No Is the man in any way mistaken? Yes Is it his house/apartment? No Place of work? It's not his ordinary place of work, but it is a place he is currently working Will our hero ever pretend to have 'found' the lift? No Will he eventually give up and realise that he will not find an elevator? Yes

When I was in Finland, the signs for elevators would be in Finnish, Swedish, and English. They would read 'Hissi, Hiss, Elevator'. I thought, crikey, that's a strong expression of civic contempt for a bloody elevator. I'm somewhat surprised they said "Elevator" and not "Lift."

So was there an elevator in the twin building? Yes

I'm assuming the below questions refer to the building the man is looking for the elevator in; correct me if I'm mistaken

Was it a new building? Yes(ish)
Was there the same activity in both floors? Assume only one floor Was there a way to go up? Stairs?
Activity done in the building connected to hospitals? Offices? Hotels? No to all
Balin

Postby Earnest » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:17 am

Yes I was referring to the one in which the man was...

Can we say that he was mistaken between the buildings? Like he thought to be in the twin building with elevator but was instead in the one without?

Is something like he knows that there was not an elevator but he did not realize it, but as soon as he realized it he stopped looking for it? And we need to discover the reason why he did not realize it at a first glance? If so was it because he thought to be in the twin building with the elevator? Relevant why he thought so? Were the relative position of the two buildibgs misleading? One near the other? Were them connected? Were them part of a bigger building? Relevant why the twin building had an elevator and this one had not?

Had the two buildings the same function? Were them thought for different categories of people? One for old one for young? One for people with disabilities one not? Was there a university? Was the elevator he was looking for meant for men? (Might sound strange but I'm referring to the possibility of those elevators meant for food)
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:50 am

Had one of the buildings been completely or partially destroyed? Had the second building, the one with the lift, been built as a copy? A memorial? a monument? a replacement? So did he mistake one building for the other? Was the elevator in the second building just a replica, picture or a fake elevator? Were either or both of the buildings ancient? Old? Historically relevant?

Was he mistaken in some way? If so, does he realise he's mistaken? Is the fact that he's working there relevant to the lack of elevator? Is he checking to make sure that, as expected, there is no elevator?

Lastly, is it in this country (UK0 or another? Japan?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:36 pm

Can we say that he was mistaken between the buildings? Yes Like he thought to be in the twin building with elevator but was instead in the one without? Yes

Is something like he knows that there was not an elevator but he did not realize it, but as soon as he realized it he stopped looking for it? Yes, precisely And we need to discover the reason why he did not realize it at a first glance? Correct If so was it because he thought to be in the twin building with the elevator? Yes Relevant why he thought so? Yes
Were the relative position of the two buildings misleading? One near the other? Were them connected? Were them part of a bigger building? No to all of these
Relevant why the twin building had an elevator and this one had not? Somewhat

Had the two buildings the same function? No! Were them thought for different categories of people? Yes One for old one for young? No One for people with disabilities one not? No Was there a university? No Was the elevator he was looking for meant for men? (Might sound strange but I'm referring to the possibility of those elevators meant for food) In that case Yes - he was looking for a passenger elevator, not a cargo elevator

Had one of the buildings been completely or partially destroyed? No Had the second building, the one with the lift, been built as a copy? Not the one with the lift... A memorial? a monument? a replacement? No to these So did he mistake one building for the other? Yes Was the elevator in the second building just a replica, picture or a fake elevator? It was a real elevator, but this question is somewhat OTRT! Were either or both of the buildings ancient? No Old? No Historically relevant? Yes

Was he mistaken in some way? Yes If so, does he realise he's mistaken? Eventually Is the fact that he's working there relevant to the lack of elevator? Yes Is he checking to make sure that, as expected, there is no elevator? No - you have a recurring FA about the buildings

Lastly, is it in this country (UK0 or another? Japan? United States
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Are either of these buildings toilets?
Would it help if we knew what the purpose of these buildings was? Or who worked there? Or who lived in them?
Was one building for men and the other for women?

So, the one WITHOUT the lift had been built as a copy of the other? Or a copy of another building altogether?

Had either of the buildings been built as a replacement for another building? One which had been destroyed or decommisioned?

Was the elevator, albeit real, just for show? Did it lead anywhere? How many buttons were in there? (I hope no dwarfs were harmed in making this puzzle, lol).

If you went in the elevator, would something significant happen? Or would it be a complete waste of time?

Are either of the buildings incomplete? The one with the elevator or the one without?

Was the elevator built/installed to fulfil some requirement? Was the requirement other than just transporting people or things up and down? Or as well as?

Are either of the buildings part of a film set, or something like that? Are both the buildings actual proper buildings, in the normal sense of the word?

Are either of the buildings on some kind of platform, or part of the buildings?

Is the historical relevance due to the actual buildings themselves? Or down to their location? Their appearance? Something else?

Please forgive me if I am repeating myself or other puzzlers; n00b you see!
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:14 am

Would it help if we knew what the purpose of these buildings was? Or who worked there? Yes, see below...

So, the one WITHOUT the lift had been built as a copy of the other? Yes...

Are either of the buildings part of a film set, or something like that? Exactly!

Please forgive me if I am repeating myself or other puzzlers; n00b you see! No worries... and congratulations on your first solve!

****SPOILER****

The set for the Mission Control room in the film Apollo 13 was modeled after the real Mission Control room in Houston's Johnson Space Center. It was so realistic that one NASA consultant on the film would leave the set and look for the elevator - the actual room in Houston is on an upper floor - before remembering he was not actually in Mission Control.
(As mentioned on one of the commentary tracks, and on the film's Wikipedia page.)

Well done!
Balin

Re: [Balin] Up the down staircase (*GAME SET MATCH*)

Postby peter365 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:35 am

That's a really nice lateral one Balin .
peter365

Re: [Balin] Up the down staircase (*GAME SET MATCH*)

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:18 pm

Wow, thank you Balin! I am inordinately pleased with this!
invisiblemimsy

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles