[Balin] Oops I pressed it

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Oops I pressed it

Postby Balin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:23 am

He knew the answer was "children," so why did he answer "Franklin D. Roosevelt"?
He #1 = He #2 = H/A/M
Balin

Re: [Balin] Oops I pressed it

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:29 am

Is he taking a test? An exam? Is he at a quiz? On a gameshow? Is he having a casual conversation? Playing some sort of parlour game? Is this a serious exercise?

Is he motivated by gaming the system in some way? Is he trying to fool someone, or take advantage of someone else's ignorance? Is he trying to mislead anyone? Is he trying to stir the pot somehow?

Does he understand the question properly? Is he capable of answering the question? Is he fully in control of the answer he gives? Is there some sort of miscommunication? Does he answer orally? In writing? In English? In sign language? In some form that doesn't involve a strict representation of letters or phonetic sounds? Is there a language barrier?

Is the specific question relevant? Would FDR be a correct answer to the question (by any reasonable interpretation)?
WiZ

Postby Balin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:39 am

Is he taking a test? No An exam? No Is he at a quiz? No On a gameshow? Yope Is he having a casual conversation? No Playing some sort of parlour game? No Is this a serious exercise? No

Is he motivated by gaming the system in some way? Yes Is he trying to fool someone, or take advantage of someone else's ignorance? Not someone, No Is he trying to mislead anyone? Same as previous Is he trying to stir the pot somehow? No

Does he understand the question properly? Yes Is he capable of answering the question? Yes Is he fully in control of the answer he gives? Yes Is there some sort of miscommunication? Yope
Does he answer orally? In writing? This In English? And this In sign language? In some form that doesn't involve a strict representation of letters or phonetic sounds?
Is there a language barrier? No

Is the specific question relevant? No Would FDR be a correct answer to the question (by any reasonable interpretation)? Actually, Yes, but since the question is irrelevant, assume No.
Balin

Postby JenBurdoo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:43 am

Is he joking? Solving a lateral thinking puzzle? Or other puzzle or riddle?

Is he H/A/M?

Is the specific formulation of his response relevant? (ie, could he have answered, "FDR" or "Franklin Delano Roosevelt" or "The 32nd president of the United States?"
JenBurdoo

Postby dukhsan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:53 am

So this is probably the best thing I have seen in any iteration of this forum.

With nary a suggestive smile or hinting wink, I shall take my leave, allowing the good denizens of Lateral Puzzles to solve it for themselves...
dukhsan

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Is 'in writing' via the postal system? A ballot? Is he answering to or via a computer? Another kind of machine?

Is the miscommunication deliberate? Is it a crossword? Is it a competition? If a competition, is he a competitor? Part of the audience? Something else?

What does FDR mean please? Does 'pressed it' refer to a button?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:18 pm

Did he want to give an answer which was considered to be wrong? Did he want to facilitate someone else? After his answer is someone else allowed to answer if he was incorrect? Relevant?

Is there a right answer to the question and a wrong one? Or more than one answer is possible? Is the answer FDR wrong? Is it relevant that the answer was 'children' instead of something else?

He knew the answer = someone told him? He simply knew it? Is it something like "had he answered children he would have revealed something or made soneone suspect of him? Was there a multiple choice?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:05 pm

So this is probably the best thing I have seen in any iteration of this forum.

With nary a suggestive smile or hinting wink, I shall take my leave, allowing the good denizens of Lateral Puzzles to solve it for themselves... I am flattered. I'm also secretly glad someone else here knows this.

Is he joking? In a sense Solving a lateral thinking puzzle? No Or other puzzle or riddle? No

Is he H/A/M? Yes

Is the specific formulation of his response relevant? Yes ie, could he have answered, "FDR" No or "Franklin Delano Roosevelt" In theory, but in actual circumstances No or "The 32nd president of the United States?" No

Is 'in writing' via the postal system? No A ballot? No Is he answering to or via a computer? Yes Another kind of machine? Also Yes

Is the miscommunication deliberate? Yes Is it a crossword? No Is it a competition? No If a competition, is he a competitor? Part of the audience? Something else?

What does FDR mean please? Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 32nd U.S. president Does 'pressed it' refer to a button? Yes but the title won't help unless you already know the source of the puzzle

Did he want to give an answer which was considered to be wrong? Yes Did he want to facilitate someone else? No After his answer is someone else allowed to answer if he was incorrect? No Relevant? It might help

Is there a right answer to the question and a wrong one? Or more than one answer is possible? There are several right answers and several wrong answers Is the answer FDR wrong? Yes Is it relevant that the answer was 'children' instead of something else? Yes

He knew the answer = someone told him? No He simply knew it? Yes Is it something like "had he answered children he would have revealed something or made soneone suspect of him? No Was there a multiple choice? No
Balin

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Is he doing this on a home computer? At an arcade-style machine in a pub or similar?

Is he helping develop a computer programme or AI related to quizzing? Watson relevant?
WiZ

Postby Balin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:15 pm

Is he doing this on a home computer? At an arcade-style machine in a pub or similar? He's playing a video game using an emulator on his home computer.

Is he helping develop a computer programme or AI related to quizzing? No Watson relevant? No
Balin

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:20 pm

Is the format of the game a quiz? Is it educational software? Does he answer the question in his own capacity as the human behind the keyboard, or is he controlling a Player Character who is asked this question (if the two are relevantly segregated)?

Is this some sort of anti-piracy device? If he gave the correct answer, would there be negative consequences (for him, or his character if relevant)?

Does he believe he is making the best choice by doing so (in terms of progressing in the game)?
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:22 am

Is there some kind of greater purpose at stake beyond/instead of the outcome of the computer/video game?

Does it matter which order the questions occurred? Or the answers?

Is code or cypher involved? A kind of switch?

By answering 'Franklin D. Roosevelt' does something specific happen? Which wouldn't happen if he answered 'children', even though both answers were correct? Would something different happen if he answered 'children'? Would the third correct answer give the same result or a different one?

If he gave any of the 3 wrong answers, would something happen, or nothing?
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:29 am

Also, is someone else allowed to answer if he IS correct? Is he on a team or in a group? Is this just a game only? Or is there some other purpose?
invisiblemimsy

Postby wwhere » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:10 am

Is the specific game he was playing relevant? Did Franklin D. Roosevelt access an easter egg in the game that he wanted to see?
wwhere

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Is the format of the game a quiz? Close - game show Is it educational software? No Does he answer the question in his own capacity as the human behind the keyboard, or is he controlling a Player Character who is asked this question (if the two are relevantly segregated)? The former

Is this some sort of anti-piracy device? No If he gave the correct answer, would there be negative consequences (for him, or his character if relevant)? No

Does he believe he is making the best choice by doing so (in terms of progressing in the game)? Yes

Is there some kind of greater purpose at stake beyond/instead of the outcome of the computer/video game? Nothing beyond the game... but I'm giving this a Noish instead of a flat No

Does it matter which order the questions occurred? No Or the answers? No

Is code or cypher involved? No, but there is word tricksiness A kind of switch? No

By answering 'Franklin D. Roosevelt' does something specific happen? Yes Which wouldn't happen if he answered 'children', even though both answers were correct? No, the same thing would have happened if he answered "children" Would something different happen if he answered 'children'? No Would the third correct answer give the same result or a different one? There are more than three correct answers; different

If he gave any of the 3 wrong answers, would something happen, or nothing? There are more than three wrong answers; something

Also, is someone else allowed to answer if he IS correct? No, because... Is he on a team or in a group? ...Neither, he is playing by himself Is this just a game only? Yes Or is there some other purpose? Nothing beyond the game

Is the specific game he was playing relevant? It might help, so I'll say Yes Did Franklin D. Roosevelt access an easter egg in the game that he wanted to see? No
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Does he have a list of answers to work with? Is he saving the Roosevelt answer for later?
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:52 pm

/I mean the children answer.

Is it a championship or league thing? If he gives the correct answer, does he progress to the next level? If he gives the wrong answer, is he out?

Is there something at stake here? Besides winning? Does it have anything in common with/similarities to “Who wants to be a millionaire?” Or “The Hunger Games”
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:30 pm

Does he have a list of answers to work with? Um... he knows the answers to the questions Is he saving the children answer for later? No

Is it a championship or league thing? No If he gives the correct answer, does he progress to the next level? No If he gives the wrong answer, is he out? No

Is there something at stake here? No/Irrel Besides winning?
Does it have anything in common with/similarities to “Who wants to be a millionaire?” No, but remember that it is a video game of a game show Or “The Hunger Games” No
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:44 pm

Would it help to know which game show?
invisiblemimsy

Postby wwhere » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Is it important which game show? Is it an American game show? an English game show? Was it on TV on the 60s? 70s? 80s? 90s? 00s? currently?
Does he get more points answering "Franklin D. Roosevelt" than answering "children"?
wwhere

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Would it help to know which game show? It might

Is it important which game show? See above Is it an American game show? Originally this an English game show? Was it on TV on the 60s? 70s? 80s? 90s? 00s? currently? In various incarnations from the '70s through now
Does he get more points answering "Franklin D. Roosevelt" than answering "children"? No
Balin

Postby wwhere » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:24 pm

Is it Jeopardy? Wheel of Fortune? The Price is Right?
wwhere

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:26 pm

Is it Jeopardy? Wheel of Fortune? The Price is Right? Not these
Balin

Postby wwhere » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:40 pm

Is the game show Pyramid? Family Feud? The Joker's Wild?
wwhere

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Can we invoke the LPTF’s list of all game shows please?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:18 am

Can we invoke the LTPF’s list of all game shows please? No need, because...

Is the game show Pyramid? Family Feud? ...it's this one The Joker's Wild?
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:04 am

Ok, in that case I shall declare myself out!
invisiblemimsy

Postby LemonCurry » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:00 am

Does he have AI teammates? AI opponents? Human teammates and/or opponents over the internet?

Does he want his teammates to have the easier task with the children? Would they not guess FDR? Is there a bug around the Roosevelt answer? Or does he want the opponents to win the faceoff and then lose?
LemonCurry

Postby Earnest » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:31 am

Sorry...I don't kmow neither the game neither the previous questions...so sorry if I repeat...I'll try to be as brief as possible contrary to my usual qjestions' type

So is the aim of the game to give the correct answer? To give the less popular answer? Would he have obtained the same result if he was in the actual real game instead of a video game reproduction? If not, would he have obtained a bonus after a certain amount of wrong answers? An help?
Earnest

Postby wwhere » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:24 am

Did he know that, even though "children" was the right answer, 'Franklin D. Roosevelt' was the answer selected by the majority of the people?
wwhere

Postby Balin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:37 pm

Ok, in that case I shall declare myself out! Actually, you don't need to know too much about "Family Feud" to solve the puzzle - the important part is that in "Family Feud," questions are open-ended.

Does he have AI teammates? No AI opponents? Yes Human teammates and/or opponents over the internet? No

Does he want his teammates to have the easier task with the children? No - remember, he is playing by himself Would they not guess FDR? See previous Is there a bug around the Roosevelt answer? YES Or does he want the opponents to win the faceoff and then lose? No

So is the aim of the game to give the correct answer? To give the less popular answer? In "Family Feud," 100 people are asked the same question, and contestants (two families or teams of five) must guess the most popular answers. For instance, a question might be anything from "Name a type of bird" or "Name a reason a woman might leave a date early."
Would he have obtained the same result if he was in the actual real game instead of a video game reproduction? No, good q If not, would he have obtained a bonus after a certain amount of wrong answers? No An help? No

Did he know that, even though "children" was the right answer, 'Franklin D. Roosevelt' was the answer selected by the majority of the people? No, "children" was the most popular answer
Balin

Postby LemonCurry » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:55 pm

So was this a bug exploit? Would „Franklin D. Roosevelt“ give you unintended high marks?
LemonCurry

Postby Balin » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:54 pm

So was this a bug exploit? Yes Would „Franklin D. Roosevelt“ give you unintended high marks? For that particular question/answer, Yes
Balin

Postby Balin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:58 pm

RECAP:
The man is playing a video game version of Family Feud. He knows that, for this particular question, the highest-scoring answer is "children," so he answers "Franklin D. Roosevelt." This gives him the points he would have gotten if he had typed "children" due to a bug in the game.

WHAT'S LEFT:
What is the glitch he is exploiting?
Balin

Postby biograd » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:12 pm

Does the answer have to do with the period after the letter D? Can the game for some reason not handle answers with a period in the middle, causing it to do something unusual? Or, is FDR the right answer to another question in the game, and for some reason it has the question/answer pairs messed up?
biograd

Postby WiZ » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:15 pm

Is this to do with the fact that the algorithm responsible for determining the answer has to account for spelling errors, alternative spellings, varied phrasings, answers that are verbally different but conceptually similar etc., so you could type in one thing and the game 'assumes' you have given a relevant and applicable answer (even if the letters are quite different)?

If so, does the Franklin D. Roosevelt answer exploit this feature? Is it to do with the length of the answer? The starting letters? The period after D?
WiZ

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:00 am

Does the answer have to do with the period after the letter D? No Can the game for some reason not handle answers with a period in the middle, causing it to do something unusual? No Or, is FDR the right answer to another question in the game, and for some reason it has the question/answer pairs messed up? No

Is this to do with the fact that the algorithm responsible for determining the answer has to account for spelling errors, alternative spellings, varied phrasings, answers that are verbally different but conceptually similar etc., so you could type in one thing and the game 'assumes' you have given a relevant and applicable answer (even if the letters are quite different)? Yes - but watch out for that parenthetical bit...

If so, does the Franklin D. Roosevelt answer exploit this feature? Yes Is it to do with the length of the answer? Noish The starting letters? No The period after D? No
Balin

Postby wwhere » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:33 am

is that feature related to a word contained in "Franklin D. Roosevelt"? Something like it containing, in order, the word "k i d s" ?
wwhere

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:53 pm

is that feature related to a word contained in "Franklin D. Roosevelt"? Something like it containing, in order, the word "k i d s" ? Exactly!

****SPOILER****

This is from the Family Feud "glitchfest" speedrun.
The SNES version of Family Feud had a glitch where the game would accept any answer as correct as long as it contained the letters, in order, of a correct answer. For one of the questions ("Name someone everyone carries pictures of"), the top answer was "children." The player, exploiting the glitch, answered "Franklin D. Roosevelt," which contains the word "kids" and so was accepted as correct.

Very nice leap, wwhere, and well done everyone!
Balin

Re: [Balin] Oops I pressed it (*ABRACADABRA I WIN*)

Postby dukhsan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:15 pm

Other games of that generation had the bug as well. Jeopardy! behaved like this on the Genesis and the NES; a friend and I wrote down some of our best nonsense answers from playing the latter.

Wheel of Fortune on the N64 allowed you to buy a vowel, like the show, except we once chose P and it gave it to us anyway.

Either the limited cartridge size and/or lack of developer foresight leads to stuff like this. Thanks again for posting the puzzle, was great to see how people would approach it.
dukhsan

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles