[invisiblemimsy] Black and White

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[invisiblemimsy] Black and White

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:04 pm

When we were children, Mr Batman came to our front door with a pair of 2-foot tall candles. Why? (It’s relevant that this is a true story btw).
Last edited by invisiblemimsy on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invisiblemimsy

Re: Black and White

Postby WiZ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:09 pm

Was it because of the dark night? (sorry)

Is Mr. Batman's occupation relevant? His relationship to you or your family? Are you at home at the time? Does he intend to sell you the candles? Give you the candles? Demonstrate something with the candles? Are they lit at the time?
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:29 pm

WiZ wrote:Was it because of the dark night? (sorry) :lol:

Is Mr. Batman's occupation relevant? NO His relationship to you or your family? YES Are you at home at the time? YES Does he intend to sell you the candles? NO Give you the candles? YES Demonstrate something with the candles? NO Are they lit at the time? NO
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:17 am

Did you call someone Mr Batman? Did he resemble you Batman? Is it a fictitious surname? A real surname? Is the religion of Mr.Batman relevant?

Did he go from house to house? Did he eventually stop to your house? Enter your house? Mr Batman = H/A/M? Were the candles meant for you(children)? Your family? Is the reference to Batman relevant? Is a mask relevant? Js the light of Batman relevant? Were you part of a representation? Was it halloween? Was there a blackout?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:29 pm

Earnest wrote:Did you call someone Mr Batman? YES Did he resemble you Batman? NO Is it a fictitious surname? NO A real surname? YES Is the religion of Mr.Batman relevant? NO

Did he go from house to house? NO Did he eventually stop to your house? YES but not ‘eventually’’ Enter your house? NO Mr Batman = H/A/M? YES Were the candles meant for you(children)? Your family? THIS Is the reference to Batman relevant? NO Is a mask relevant? Js NO the light of Batman relevant? NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BUT NO Were you part of a representation? AGAIN NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BUT I DON’T THINK SO Was it halloween? NO Was there a blackout? YES
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Is his name Batman? Bateman? Something similar? Did he give anyone else candles? Were the candles for illumination? Heat? Keeping a fire going? Cooking? Were they of unusual size?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:44 pm

So he came with two candles because there was no light?
Were the candles meant to light up your house? All your house? Just a part of it? Were them put inside something (a lanter?)? Were them turned on? If so with fire? Were them electric candles? Normal candles?

Was Mr Batman used to come to your house with two candles drom time to time? He just came once? Was the final aim to restore the traditional source of illumination of your house (which was electrical current I suppose, right? If not fire?)? Did Mr Batman live near your house? Very far? Was your house isolated? Did the blackout concern all the town? Just your house?
Did mr Batman come just to help you?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:08 pm

GalFisk wrote:Is his name Batman? YES, MR BATMAN Bateman? NO Something similar? NO Did he give anyone else candles? I DOUBT IT Were the candles for illumination? YES Heat? NO Keeping a fire going? NO Cooking? NO Were they of unusual size? AS STATED, 2 FOOT LONG WHICH IS PRETTY BIG AS CANDLES GO
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:14 pm

Earnest wrote:So he came with two candles because there was no light? YES
Were the candles meant to light up your house? YES All your house? NO-ISH Just a part of it? YES-ISH Were them put inside something (a lanter?)? NO Were them turned on? YES If so with fire? YES Were them electric candles? NO Normal candles? YES

Was Mr Batman used to come to your house with two candles drom time to time? NO He just came once? YES Was the final aim to restore the traditional source of illumination of your house (which was electrical current I suppose, right? YES If not fire?)? Did Mr Batman live near your house? YES Very far? NO Was your house isolated? NO Did the blackout concern all the town? YES Just your house? NO
Did mr Batman come just to help you? YESISH
invisiblemimsy

Re: [invisiblemimsy] Black and White

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:26 pm

Did the candles provide any source other than light?
Is it relevant why he brought those candles instead of others? Were they the only candles he had? Were they left over from something? Were they at one point in a church?
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:29 pm

Balin wrote:Did the candles provide any source other than light? NO
Is it relevant why he brought those candles instead of others? YES Were they the only candles he had? YESISH Were they left over from something? NO Were they at one point in a church?YES
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:18 pm

Does he work for a church? Are the candles new? Used? Is Mr. Batman a friend of yours? Is he bringing the candles to be helpful? Friendly?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:23 pm

GalFisk wrote:Does he work for a church? NO Are the candles new? Used? NEW OR NEARLY NEW Is Mr. Batman a friend of yours? NO BUT OTRT Is he bringing the candles to be helpful? YES Friendly? YES
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Is he a neighbor? An acquaintance? A landlord? Did he also take candles to his own home? Did he steal the candles? Were they given to him?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:47 pm

GalFisk wrote:Is he a neighbor? THIS An acquaintance? A landlord? Did he also take candles to his own home? DONT KNOW Did he steal the candles? YES Were they given to him? NO
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Was there a building with the light? Did also other people had candles? Those candles?

Relevant what caused the blackout? A natural cause? Something using too much electricity? Was it a protest at some point? With the candles? Were the candles used to light on the inside of your house? If so directly? Were you able to see other similar candles? Did you want to light up something with the candles? Burn something?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:39 pm

Earnest wrote:Was there a building with the light? NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN, EARNEST? Did also other people had candles? YES Those candles? NO

Relevant what caused the blackout? YES A natural cause? NO Something using too much electricity? YOPE BUT F/A LURKING Was it a protest at some point? NO With the candles? NO Were the candles used to light on the inside of your house? YES If so directly? YES Were you able to see other similar candles? NO Did you want to light up something with the candles? YES Burn something?NO

CORRECTION: Earnest I should have said YES, there WAS a protest involved at some point. Sorry!
Last edited by invisiblemimsy on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 pm

I meant...there was a blackout so I imagine all houses and buildings turned to dark but one which caused the blackout. Is it correct? If so was the unique building the church? Was the blackout due to an eccessive use of current? To a short circuit? Were the two candles related to what caused the blackout to happen?
Is the type of light of the candle relevant? Were they brought inside the church? If so before the blackout? After? While there was the blackout?

Did it happen during evening, right? Relevant?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Earnest wrote:I meant...there was a blackout so I imagine all houses and buildings turned to dark YES but one which caused the blackout. NO, FA Is it correct? NO If so was the unique building the church? Was the blackout due to an eccessive use of current? To a short circuit? NONE OF THESE Were the two candles related to what caused the blackout to happen? NO
Is the type of light of the candle relevant? NO Were they brought inside the church? NO, FA If so before the blackout? After? While there was the blackout?

Did it happen during evening, right? EXPLORE Relevant?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Did it happen in the morning? Evening? Afternoon? Night? Was the blackout due to somethibg artificial happening on earth? (E.g. pollution...) Damages on electricity pylons? Damages caused by animals?

Was it evident what caused the blackout at a first glance? Were you aware of what caused the blackout? Were the lights turned off on purpose? Was the blackout voluntary to spare energy? Not to pollute?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Earnest wrote:Did it happen in the morning? Evening? Afternoon? Night? ALL OF THOSE Was the blackout due to somethibg artificial happening on earth? (E.g. pollution...) Damages on electricity pylons? Damages caused by animals? NONE OF THOSE BUT EXPLORE

Was it evident what caused the blackout at a first glance? YES Were you aware of what caused the blackout? YES Were the lights turned off on purpose? YES Was the blackout voluntary to spare energy? YES-ISH, EXPLORE Not to pollute? NO
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:35 pm

War relevant? Danger? Earth Hour? Bad weather? Was the blackout expected? Did it last for hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Years?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:38 pm

GalFisk wrote:War relevant? NO Danger? NO Earth Hour? NO Bad weather? NO Was the blackout expected? YES Did it last for hours? THIS Days? THIS Weeks? Months?AND THIS Years? NO-
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Correction: in response to Earnest's post above, there was a protest involved at some point. Sorry.
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:09 am

It's ok don't worry! :)

Were the lights turned off to protest against something? Against the cost of bills?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:45 pm

Earnest wrote:It's ok don't worry! :)

Were the lights turned off to protest against something? Against the cost of bills?

NO TO BOTH
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Were the lights turned off to avoid something worse to happen? To avoid an overload? To allow someone else to use electric energy? Relevant how current was produced? Was it hydroelectric energy? Wind energy?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Earnest wrote:Were the lights turned off to avoid something worse to happen? NO To avoid an overload? NO To allow someone else to use electric energy? NO-ISH Relevant how current was produced? YES I THINK SO Was it hydroelectric energy? NO Wind energy? NO
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Was the power from renewable resources? Non-renewable? Nuclear power? Solar power? Diesel generator? Gas turbine?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:09 pm

GalFisk wrote:Was the power from renewable resources? NO Non-renewable? YES Nuclear power? Solar power? Diesel generator? Gas turbine? NONE OF THESE
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:23 pm

Coal? Natural gas? Diesel? Gasoline? Jet fuel? Bunker oil? Crude oil? Tar?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:45 pm

GalFisk I'm short of resources so I'm gonna say "Go GalFisk! Go!"

Relevant the place where you live? Did you need a particular source of electricity power and you spare energy?
Did you live in a place where there are 6 months of dark and 6 months of light? (don't know why I'm asking but I'm figuring out such a place for the puzzle)
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:16 pm

GalFisk wrote:Coal? THIS MOSTLY Natural gas? Diesel? Gasoline? Jet fuel? Bunker oil? Crude oil?THIS TO A LARGE EXTENT Tar? AND THE OTHERS WERE AFFECTED TOO
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Earnest wrote:GalFisk I'm short of resources so I'm gonna say "Go GalFisk! Go!"

THANKS EARNEST :D

Relevant the place where you live? YES Did you need a particular source of electricity power YES and you spare energy? NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY "AND YOU SPARE ENERGY"??
Did you live in a place where there are 6 months of dark and 6 months of light? NO, BUWT (don't know why I'm asking but I'm figuring out such a place for the puzzle)
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:45 pm

Were the fossil fuels imported? Is an embargo relevant? Was the blackout due to a lack of fuel? A lack of functioning power stations? Corruption? Boycott? Protest? Strike?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:14 pm

GalFisk wrote:Were the fossil fuels imported? SOME WERE, SOME WEREN'T Is an embargo relevant? NO BUT OTRT Was the blackout due to a lack of fuel? YES lack of functioning power stations? THIS TOO Corruption? Boycott? Protest? THIS Strike? THIS ESPECIALLY

This is very nearly solved! As this is my first puzzle to get this far, I'm not sure at this point whether I should tell you the rest or not - there are still a few things to mop up.... What do you think?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:06 am

well not a puzzle expert but I think that if the "lateral thinking" part is solved and rest is context you can Spoil...but I would wait until others agree as well
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks Earnest! Actually, thinking about it overnight, I think there is one more thing I'd like solved before I $poil. It IS contextual, but it's fundamental to the rest of the puzzle. Go for it!
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:57 pm

So...as far as I know there are two ways at this point...or we continue asking questions to figure out what aspect of the puzzle we need to solve or you can state a question to clarify it...for instance...if we need to figure out why Mr Batman brought those two specific candles and not other, the puzzler says..."Ok now you are close to the solution, but why did Mr Batman bring us those two specific candles rather than another pair?" Or if we need to figure out also why two candles rather than three or four you add "And why two candles and not more or less than 2?". Once figure it out the puzzle is spoiled.

However, I'm quite new at the forum so I'm telling what I know from a little experience in it. The bosses are Balin, WiZ, Tiger, Jen, GalFisk and others!
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Thanks! That's helpful. I think all I'm looking for now is the reason for the strike. This was a huge event in Britain but a lot of NON-Brits won't know about it, I guess.
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:17 pm

You're welcome!
So...I'm italian..."a strike expert then" you might think...well I hate them actually. Anyhow I'll try to figure out the reason :)

Political reasons? Cost of fuel? Was the strike organized by the workers of the firm producing the current? Was the main reason for the strike money (I mean: workers gain less/society had no more incentives...)? Environment? The inteoduction of a new product?

Was the strike indicted to obtain more rights? To obtain a negotiation from Governament? Did the fuel come from a foreign country? Was it produced in Britain? Diseases relevant? Were population striking as well? Was there a danger against which you protested? Lack of maintainance? Possibikity of disasters due to lack of maintainance?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:28 pm

Earnest wrote:You're welcome!
So...I'm italian..."a strike expert then" you might think...well I hate them actually. Anyhow I'll try to figure out the reason :)

Political reasons? YES Cost of fuel? YES Was the strike organized by the workers of the firm producing the current? YES Was the main reason for the strike money YES, THOUGH THERE WERE OTHER REASONS TOO (I mean: workers gain less/society had no more incentives...)? Environment? The inteoduction of a new product? NO TO THESE

Was the strike indicted to obtain more rights? YES To obtain a negotiation from Governament? YES Did the fuel come from a foreign country? NO, BUT OVERSEAS RELEVANT TOO Was it produced in Britain? YES Diseases relevant? NO Were population striking as well? NO Was there a danger against which you protested? Lack of maintainance? Possibikity of disasters due to lack of maintainance?
NO TO THESE

************************$POILER*********************************

When we were children, Mr Batman was our next-door neighbour. He was a very ‘proper’ and ‘honourable’ man, aged about 80, which was unusually old back then, and he walked very slowly with a stick. Despite this, he walked a mile to the nearest church and stole the altar candles to give to us. It was early 1974, and there was a miners’ strike all over Britain, resulting in a three-day working week, blackouts most days, a shortage of fuel especially coal but also petrol which was rationed, and the panic-buying of candles and certain foods. The strike lasted 3 months. I think that by the time Mr Batman stole the candles we were sitting in the dark. We were 9, 7 and 4 years old and found it all very exciting, though I’m sure our parents didn’t!

The Arab oil crisis of late 1973 had also contributed to this.

Here’s an article about it, if you want it.[url]https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/444213/The-Last-Big-Blackout-40-years-ago-the-lights-really-did-go-off
[/url]
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Well done to Earnest for the solution, also to Wiz, Balin and Galfisk for taking part!

This was my very first solved puzzle so thanks very much!
invisiblemimsy

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles