[Hobbsicle] Rhapsody in Darkness

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Hobbsicle] Rhapsody in Darkness

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:05 am

Dear diary,

Something is going on in our family, and I fear that either I am going mad, or we all are. My husband Franklin has been acting distant and nervous, even though he claims nothing is wrong. He is eating barely half of what he usually does, if that, and the music he composes! He still plays some of his previous classical works, sweeping and melodic, but a few times when I was passing by the study, he was playing bizarre songs that are barely musical at all, like the songs of either a child, or... someone losing touch.

Then one night, I woke up to hear rapid footsteps. I crept out and saw our daughter Bridgette walking back to her room, hands cupped as if holding something, eyes wide. She closed her door, and I thought of going in there, but ultimately left her alone. And then a couple of days ago, I caught our eldest James pacing slowly towards the window in the living room, as if in a daze, murmuring softly to himself.

I'm at my wit's end! My anxiety can only take so much! So today I met secretly with a private detective, while the others were away. Supposedly one of the best, but what rubbish! I told him what was going on, and he half-listened while walking through the house and examining things. He eventually turned to me and asked, "Do you read the newspaper?" "No," I said. "Not often, anyway." "So you wouldn't have read this morning's paper?" "No. Haven't even seen it. Why?" He just stood there nodding for a minute, then said, "I'm sorry, I don't think I'll be able to help you. I should go. My consulting fee is waived." And then he walked out while I stood there, agape! He turned briefly at the doorstep and said, "I wouldn't talk to any others about this, for now. But...I believe you have a good family. And I wish your troubles to be at their end very soon." And then he strode off!

Annie

P.S. I checked today's newspaper (three times), and other than the usual bad news, didn't see anything particularly noteworthy.
--------------

What is going on?
Last edited by Hobbsicle on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbsicle

Re: [Hobbsicle] Rhapsody in Darkness

Postby LemonCurry » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:41 am

Is the newspaper relevant? But the news aren't?
Does anybody get poisoned/intoxicated? By the newspaper?
LemonCurry

Postby Earnest » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Is the best word to describe the status of Annie's familiars: they were sick? Worried? Depressed? They have fear of sonething? Paranormal world relevant? A viral disease? A scandal? Sonething usually to be reported in newspaper if it happens to common people?

Was Annie's family in troubles? If so mainly in financial troubles? Health troubles?
Was the detective afraid to have something to do with annie? Annie's family?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 pm

Is there any specific "usual bad news" that is relevant?
Is the date on the newspaper relevant?
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Gaslighting relevant? (The phenomenon/behaviour, not actual lighting).
Is the protagonist on drugs? Unwell, mentally or otherwise? Is poison involved? Same q’s re the other family members? Was the PD searching for some thing/s in particular? Or just looking for clues in general? Did he discover anything, definite or suggestive? Had he already read the paper himself? Was there something actually in the paper? Something which the protagonist didn’t recognise as relevant? Was the PD afraid? Out of his depth? Reluctant to get involved for another reason? Is she or her family in danger? Is there any chance that their troubles will be over soon or was the PD just wishing them well? Might they die?
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Carbon monoxide poisoning relevant? Are all people acting rationally? Are they hiding something from her? Preparing a surprise? Would the detective have been albe to help if she regularly read the paper?
GalFisk

Postby Hobbsicle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:14 pm

LemonCurry

Is the newspaper relevant? Yes... But the news aren't? CORRECT! Or, mostly, anyway. The news is tangentially relevant.
Does anybody get poisoned/intoxicated? No By the newspaper? No

Earnest

Is the best word to describe the status of Annie's familiars: they were sick? No Worried? Yes to Franklin,
yes-ish to Bridgette
Depressed? No, or not relevantly They have fear of sonething? Yes for Franklin and Bridgette Paranormal world relevant? Yope A viral disease? No A scandal? Yes-ish Sonething usually to be reported in newspaper if it happens to common people? Not sure, possibly

Was Annie's family in troubles? Yes-ish If so mainly in financial troubles? Not relevantly Health troubles? No
Was the detective afraid to have something to do with annie? Annie's family? He might have been to a degree, but not the most important factor

Balin

Is there any specific "usual bad news" that is relevant?
Is the date on the newspaper relevant? Yope to both, explore

invisiblemimsy

Gaslighting relevant? (The phenomenon/behaviour, not actual lighting). No
Is the protagonist on drugs? No Unwell, mentally or otherwise? Well, only with anxiety, not causing her to lose her mind, though Is poison involved? No Same q’s re the other family members? No to all Was the PD searching for some thing/s in particular? No-ish, or at least not initially Or just looking for clues in general? Mainly this, yes Did he discover anything, definite or suggestive? Yes, suggestive Had he already read the paper himself? irrel! Was there something actually in the paper? Not relevantly Something which the protagonist didn’t recognise as relevant? No Was the PD afraid? Assume no Out of his depth? No-ish Reluctant to get involved for another reason? Yes Is she or her family in danger? Yes Is there any chance that their troubles will be over soon or was the PD just wishing them well? Both Might they die? Yes
Hobbsicle

Postby wwhere » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:32 pm

Is this happening in the 20th century? 21th Century? 19th century? 18th century? before that?
Is it relevant the exact decade in which this is happening? the exact year? the exact month?
Is it relevant how long has Annie been noticing these strange behaviours on her family?
Did the detective see the day's newspaper on the house? Did he see anyone else besides Annie in the house? Any animal?
Is the surname of this family relevant?
Is the country where this happens relevant? the city?
wwhere

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:42 pm

Obituary? Advertisement?
Paranormal not happening but they believe it is?
Murder or attempted murder?
Are the family normal human beings?
Are they rich? Titled? Landed gentry?
Marriage, engagement or affairs (illicit or otherwise) relevant?

Was the paper today’s or recent? A reliable newspaper or a tabloid? Did the PD think there would be something in the paper? Or something in the paper soon not necessarily today?

Did they look in the wrong paper? An out of date paper? A paper from another place? Should they have?

Was the family’s downfall imminent?

So the PD - what he saw or found worried him or made him want to have nothing to do with it?

Was the thing progressive or destined to get worse? Was there any axmction they or anyone else could take to mitigate, postpone or stop it? Is the issue to do with the house? The family or certain member/s? Something else?
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:39 pm

You lost my questions (I posted while you wrote your reply).
GalFisk

Postby LemonCurry » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:06 am

If they died, would they do so from an accident? A natural disaster? A war? A crime? A disease? Would the detective die as well? Other people?
LemonCurry

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:47 pm

GalFisk (thanks for the heads up, would have missed them)

Carbon monoxide poisoning relevant? No Are all people acting rationally? Yes, with maybe a slight "ish"
reserved for Bridgette, DOYD of "rational"
Are they hiding something from her? YES, although not exactly the same thing Preparing a surprise? No Would the detective have been albe to help if she regularly read the paper? Difficult to answer...yope

wwhere (Hi, welcome to the forum!)

Is this happening in the 20th century? 21th Century? 19th century? 18th century? before that?
Is it relevant the exact decade in which this is happening? the exact year? the exact month? Good questions. I'll save time and say early 1940's
Is it relevant how long has Annie been noticing these strange behaviours on her family? Not really. Assume a few weeks.
Did the detective see the day's newspaper on the house? Assuming you mean "in", YES Did he see anyone else besides Annie in the house? Any animal? No to these
Is the surname of this family relevant? No
Is the country where this happens relevant? Exact country irrelevant, although it would be one of a subset of European countries the city? No

invisiblemimsy

Obituary? Advertisement? No to these
Paranormal not happening but they believe it is? YES, only in Bridgette's case, though
Murder or attempted murder? No
Are the family normal human beings? Yes
Are they rich? Titled? Landed gentry? mostly irrel, assume middle-class
Marriage, engagement or affairs (illicit or otherwise) relevant? No

Was the paper today’s or recent? Today's A reliable newspaper or a tabloid? Reliable Did the PD think there would be something in the paper? Not relevantly Or something in the paper soon not necessarily today? No

Did they look in the wrong paper? An out of date paper? A paper from another place? Should they have? She looked in the paper he was referring to, but the contents were irrelevant

Was the family’s downfall imminent? Not necessarily, but possible

So the PD - what he saw or found worried him or made him want to have nothing to do with it? Maybe in part, but not the most relevant reason for his actions

Was the thing progressive No or destined to get worse? Not destined to, but it might Was there any axmction they or anyone else could take to mitigate, postpone or stop it? Yes Is the issue to do with the house? The family or certain member/s? Something else? All of these to an extent

LemonCurry

If they died, would they do so from an accident? A natural disaster? A war? yope A crime? yope A disease? Would the detective die as well? Not in this case, but he might've if he'd gotten more involved Other people? YES
Hobbsicle

Postby wwhere » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:07 pm

Was this happening in a country under Nazi regime? in an allied anti-nazi country?
Was the family a possible target of nazi aggression (jewish, etc)?
Were any members of the family involved in the war? Franklin? Bridgette? Annie? James?
Was anyone suffering PSTD?
wwhere

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:32 pm

So, by the dates, this occurs during the 2nd World War.

Is the family, or anyone in the family, Jewish? Are they helping and/or hiding someone Jewish? Might the scandal, whatever it is, be revealed if someone finds out? Leading to their imprisonment and possible death? The clues the PD discovered - did he suspect the Jewish connection?

Are these people specific figures in history, or just 'placeholder' people? The thing they're hiding from Brigette, is it that they are hiding someone? Is she the someone? Is it that the situation is worsening or becoming (more) dangerous? Is Brigette particularly in danger, or all of them?

Is it relevant that Franklin is a musician?
Is this to do with Anne Frank? (I'm putting together Annie + Franklin - maybe that's a clue from you?)

The thing in the paper - was that an actual thing as opposed to something written in the paper? Was it a diary?

The action they could take to mitigate, would it be to move away? Or to 'grass' on someone?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Hobbsicle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:23 pm

wwhere

Was this happening in a country under Nazi regime? yes, this in an allied anti-nazi country?
Was the family a possible target of nazi aggression (jewish, etc)? Yes-ish, see below
Were any members of the family involved in the war? Franklin? Bridgette? Annie? James? No one directly, all indirectly
Was anyone suffering PSTD? No

invisiblemimsy

So, by the dates, this occurs during the 2nd World War. Yes

Is the family, or anyone in the family, Jewish? No Are they helping and/or hiding someone Jewish? YES, hiding! Might the scandal, whatever it is, be revealed if someone finds out? Yes, or possibly Leading to their imprisonment and possible death? Yes, I believe those were the usual punishments The clues the PD discovered - did he suspect the Jewish connection? Yes, indirectly

Are these people specific figures in history, or just 'placeholder' people? Fictional The thing they're hiding from Brigette, is it that they are hiding someone? Not sure if you intend to be talking about Bridgette, who is the daughter, or Annie, who is the writer of the diary.
I can answer for both here.
Yes for both cases Is she the someone? No, no one in the family is being hidden Is it that the situation is worsening or becoming (more) dangerous? Not particularly, or irrel Is Brigette particularly in danger, or all of them? They would all be in some level of danger AFAIK, but particularly Franklin and Annie, I would assume.

Is it relevant that Franklin is a musician? Yes, for part of this, anyway
Is this to do with Anne Frank? (I'm putting together Annie + Franklin - maybe that's a clue from you?) Good catch! I did intend it as a clue of sorts, but it isn't directly relevant, just a nod to the subject matter.

The thing in the paper - was that an actual thing as opposed to something written in the paper? Was it a diary? There isn't really "something" in the paper that is relevant, material or written.

The action they could take to mitigate, would it be to move away? Or to 'grass' on someone? I suppose either. I didn't have anything in mind for mitigating the circumstances, just answering the question that it could indeed be mitigated, since the circumstances are somewhat in their control.
Hobbsicle

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:16 am

Does Annie know that there are Jews (just one? more than one?) hidden in the house? Does Franklin? Does Bridgette? Does James?
Is Annie actively taking part in the hiding? Franklin? Bridgette? James?
Are Annie's actions intended to cover up that there are Jews hiding? Franklin's? Bridgette's? James'?

Had any of the family (other than Annie) read the newspaper? Had the hiding Jews? Is the language the paper was in relevant?
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:21 pm

The fact that the detective suspects the Jewish connection 'indirectly' - would it be useful to explore this? Does he suspect something in particular, or is he just suspicious in general? Do you mean that he thinks hidden Jews may be present, and doesn't want to get involved for fear of his own life if he does?

Just to check about the paper; you say that nothing is in the paper, material or written - but the paper is still relevant? Or was it just a throwaway remark by the PD? Did he simply mean that the papers in general were full of stuff about Jews and warnings against sympathisers and that they must surely be aware of this?

The scandal which may possibly be revealed - is this specifically that they are hiding Jews? Or is there another scandal as well?

Franklin the musician: Relevant what music he plays, in general, or at this time? His strange compositions, is it simply that he's under extreme stress? Is there meaning in them? He's relevantly a pianist?

Is there a significant something that we still need to find out?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Hobbsicle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:29 am

Balin

Does Annie know that there are Jews (just one? more than one?) hidden in the house? No! Does Franklin? Yes! Does Bridgette? No! Does James? Yope...
Is Annie actively taking part in the hiding? No Franklin? Yes Bridgette? No James? No
Are Annie's actions intended to cover up that there are Jews hiding? Franklin's? This-ish Bridgette's? James'?

Had any of the family (other than Annie) read the newspaper? Yes Had the hiding Jews? yope Is the language the paper was in relevant? No

invisiblemimsy

The fact that the detective suspects the Jewish connection 'indirectly' - would it be useful to explore this? Does he suspect something in particular, or is he just suspicious in general? Do you mean that he thinks hidden Jews may be present, and doesn't want to get involved for fear of his own life if he does? At this point, you can assume that the detective realized that Annie didn't know about the Jews, and didn't feel it was his place to tell her, for the sake of the Jews, and possibly for his own sake. It's not relevant what all he deduced, but it is relevant why he asked about the paper.

Just to check about the paper; you say that nothing is in the paper, material or written - but the paper is still relevant? [color=#00BF00]The newspaper does contain things written, but not anything particularly relevant. But yes, the paper is relevant.[/color] Or was it just a throwaway remark by the PD? No Did he simply mean that the papers in general were full of stuff about Jews and warnings against sympathisers and that they must surely be aware of this? He probably figured she would be aware of the issues, but that's not why he asked about it.

The scandal which may possibly be revealed - is this specifically that they are hiding Jews? Yes Or is there another scandal as well? No

Franklin the musician: Relevant what music he plays, in general, or at this time? yope His strange compositions, is it simply that he's under extreme stress? No! Is there meaning in them? Yes! He's relevantly a pianist? Yes!

Is there a significant something that we still need to find out? Yes. The hiding of the Jews is the larger framework, but each of the family members' actions (besides Annie) should be explained in light of this (consider them almost to be sub-puzzles), as well as what the paper had to do with the detective's deductions.
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:55 am

Relevant which newspaper it is? The political leanings of the publisher?
Is Bridgette actually holding something? If so: something living? Food? Something valuable?
Is James murmuring to himself? To someone else? Is someone under the floor he's pacing over? Is he measuring something? Is a double wall relevant? Size of rooms on different floors?
GalFisk

Postby LemonCurry » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:52 am

Do we need to know more about the hiding Jews? How many they are? Their relationship with Franklin? With the other Family members?

Are they, or one of them also musicians? Is Franklin talking to them via some musical code?
LemonCurry

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Was there something missing from the paper? Such as the front cover, or other pages? Like, maybe Franklin had removed them so that the news wouldn't trouble her? Or he had removed them before he let the Jews read the paper?
invisiblemimsy

Postby wwhere » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Was Franklin using music to somehow send information to the hidden Jews? (some kind of music code)
Was there something written down in the paper (in addition to the printed text), like a crosswords?
wwhere

Postby trebor » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:37 am

Is Franklin typing out a message using A - G on the piano? Is the time signature he is playing in relevant? (Or signatures, as this seems to be an ongoing thing?)
trebor

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:28 am

Is Franklin the only one playing the piano? If not, are any of the family playing it? The Jews? Other?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Enjay » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:03 pm

Does James know, or suspect, that there are people hiding in the house, but not that they are Jews? Does he think there is something paranormal going on? When he is murmuring, is he talking to what he thinks are ghosts? Same questions for Bridgette?

Is Franklin eating less than usual because he is giving half his food to the hiding people?
Enjay

Postby Hobbsicle » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:19 am

Galfisk

Relevant which newspaper it is? The political leanings of the publisher? No to both
Is Bridgette actually holding something? Yes If so: something living? No Food? This-ish Something valuable? No
Is James murmuring to himself? Yes To someone else? No Is someone under the floor he's pacing over? No Is he measuring something? Yes! Is a double wall relevant? Yes! Size of rooms on different floors? Yes! Nicely figured.

LemonCurry

Do we need to know more about the hiding Jews? How many they are? Their relationship with Franklin? With the other Family members? None of these are especially relevant to solving, although I have a couple of them in mind.

Are they, or one of them also musicians? No Is Franklin talking to them via some musical code? Not exactly musical, but close!

invisiblemimsy

Was there something missing from the paper? Such as the front cover, or other pages? Like, maybe Franklin had removed them so that the news wouldn't trouble her? Or he had removed them before he let the Jews read the paper? No to all, but good ideas!

wwhere

Was Franklin using music to somehow send information to the hidden Jews? Yes! (some kind of music code) but the music is more tangential...
Was there something written down in the paper (in addition to the printed text), like a crosswords? No or irrel

trebor

Is Franklin typing out a message using A - G on the piano? Is the time signature he is playing in relevant? (Or signatures, as this seems to be an ongoing thing?) No to these specifically, but very OTRT

invisiblemimsy

Is Franklin the only one playing the piano? Mostly irrel If not, are any of the family playing it? The Jews? But they wouldn't be Other?

Enjay

Does James know, or suspect, that there are people hiding in the house, but not that they are Jews? Yes, he does suspect people are hiding in the house, but I would assume from his general cleverness that he would be able to put together that they are Jews Does he think there is something paranormal going on? No When he is murmuring, is he talking to what he thinks are ghosts? No Same questions for Bridgette? Bridgette DOES think there are ghosts about, yes!

Is Franklin eating less than usual because he is giving half his food to the hiding people? YES! Good job!
Hobbsicle

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 am

Is Franklin communicating with the Jews using morse code on the piano? Or another rhythmic method?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Enjay » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Is Franklin at any time playing music to drown out the sound of the hiding people?

So James is pacing because he's realised that a certain room is smaller than it should be and wants to measure it? And the room is smaller because it has a hidden compartment where the Jews are hiding?

When Bridgette is walking to her room with her hands cupped, is she holding something? Is she carrying out some sort of ritual? Trying to get in touch with what she thinks are ghosts? Trying to protect herself from them?
Enjay

Postby Hobbsicle » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:41 am

Sorry for such long delays, in the thick of a lot of things at the moment

invisiblemimsy

Is Franklin communicating with the Jews using morse code on the piano? YES! Or another rhythmic method?

Enjay

Is Franklin at any time playing music to drown out the sound of the hiding people? No, or irrel

So James is pacing because he's realised that a certain room is smaller than it should be and wants to measure it? YES And the room is smaller because it has a hidden compartment where the Jews are hiding? YES

When Bridgette is walking to her room with her hands cupped, is she holding something? Yes Is she carrying out some sort of ritual? Not really Trying to get in touch with what she thinks are ghosts? No Trying to protect herself from them? Yes!

Since there are a lot of threads to this one, and I've been delayed in answering questions, perhaps it's time for a...

--------RECAP---------

This takes place in an Allied European country in World War II. Franklin has taken in Jews, hiding them in the house, without telling any of the other family members. He acts distant and nervous on account of holding this weighty secret. He is eating half of what he usually does because he is giving the rest to the hidden Jews. His piano playing is actually morse code that he plays on the piano as a means to obscure his communications with the Jews.

James has, for some reason or other, suspected what was going on, and has been putting together the pieces. At one point, he suspects that there is a false wall in a particular room, so he paces out the steps of two adjacent rooms in order to measure them, counting slowly to himself. This is what Annie sees.

Bridgette thinks there are ghosts, and is seen late at night carrying a food-ish item to her room as protection from the ghosts.

When the detective asks his question, he has developed a theory of what is going on, and is testing this theory. He has seen the newspaper in the house, and although nothing written in the paper, nor anything in particular about today's news, is relevant, the answer to the question helps to confirm his suspicions, and he leaves, feeling it not in his place to disclose the information regarding the hiding Jews.

Left to figure out: what is Bridgette holding? What is it about the newspaper that provokes the detective to ask the question?
Hobbsicle

Postby GalFisk » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:00 am

Is the placement of the newspaper relevant? The condition of the paper itself? such as being especially crumpled? Dirty? Clean? Untouched? Torn? Missing?
GalFisk

Postby Enjay » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:54 am

Is Bridgette carrying salt? Something that supposedly has magical properties to ward off ghosts? A candle? Holy water?

Is the relevant thing that confirms the detective's suspicions connected to:

The fact there is a newspaper in the house?
Something about that particular newspaper?
The fact the mother hasn't read it that day?
The fact she doesn't often read it generally?

Could he have confirmed his suspicions in the same way by asking another member of the family whether Annie usually reads the paper and whether she had seen it that morning?

Does the answer to the question about the newspaper confirm the detective's suspicions by:
-confirming (or helping to confirm) that there are Jews hiding in the house?
-confirming (or helping to confirm) the reason for Franklin's behaviour specifically? Bridgette's? James's?
-confirming (or helping to confirm) that Annie doesn't know about the Jews?
Enjay

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:36 pm

The wording of his question, "Do you read the newspaper," as opposed to, "Have you read the newspaper?" - is this relevant?
When she said, "No, not often, I haven't even seen it," is she telling the truth?
Does the paper look read or unread, relevantly?

Is the food-ish item a posy of herbs, garlic, flowers &/or something like that, to ward off ghosts/demons from the pit of hell/Dracula?
invisiblemimsy

Postby trebor » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:12 am

Is it relevant that Annie tells the PD she hasn’t seen the newspaper? Is he trying to ascertain whether she is lying? Whether she has touched/moved the paper? Does her answer about the paper reveal to him something about the activity of one of the other family members? Is it a paper that any citizen of this country would have access to? Does he suspect someone else in the house has read it? Is it relevant whether the paper was delivered or purchased elsewhere? Is it relevant who bought the paper? Has anyone in the house relevantly placed the newspaper? Perhaps in an effort to communicate either with the PD or the Jewish people there?
trebor

Postby Hobbsicle » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:08 am

Galfisk

Is the placement of the newspaper relevant? YES The condition of the paper itself? No such as being especially crumpled? Dirty? Clean? Untouched? Torn? Missing?

Enjay

Is Bridgette carrying salt? Yes! Something that supposedly has magical properties to ward off ghosts? For this reason, yes A candle? Holy water?

Is the relevant thing that confirms the detective's suspicions connected to:

The fact there is a newspaper in the house? No
Something about that particular newspaper? Yes-ish, see answer to Galfisk's question
The fact the mother hasn't read it that day? He used that fact to help support his hypothesis, but that wasn't the primary thing
The fact she doesn't often read it generally? No

Could he have confirmed his suspicions in the same way by asking another member of the family whether Annie usually reads the paper and whether she had seen it that morning? Maybe so

Does the answer to the question about the newspaper confirm the detective's suspicions by:
-confirming (or helping to confirm) that there are Jews hiding in the house?
-confirming (or helping to confirm) the reason for Franklin's behaviour specifically? This is the most relevant thing Bridgette's? James's?
-confirming (or helping to confirm) that Annie doesn't know about the Jews? Assume that it is sort of the domino that helps the other pieces fall into place

invisiblemimsy

The wording of his question, "Do you read the newspaper," as opposed to, "Have you read the newspaper?" - is this relevant? Not especially, other than that it hints at the fact that the actual content of the day's newspaper is irrelevant
When she said, "No, not often, I haven't even seen it," is she telling the truth? Yes
Does the paper look read or unread, relevantly? It relevantly looks read, or at least used

Is the food-ish item a posy of herbs, garlic, flowers &/or something like that, to ward off ghosts/demons from the pit of hell/Dracula? Could have been any sort of thing, really, (I went with salt), but that is the basic reason, yes, and that part is now solved

trebor

Is it relevant that Annie tells the PD she hasn’t seen the newspaper? Yes Is he trying to ascertain whether she is lying? Whether she has touched/moved the paper? Yes, this is the reason for the query Does her answer about the paper reveal to him something about the activity of one of the other family members? Yes, or at least strongly suggest it Is it a paper that any citizen of this country would have access to? irrel Does he suspect someone else in the house has read it? Yes Is it relevant whether the paper was delivered or purchased elsewhere? No Is it relevant who bought the paper? No Has anyone in the house relevantly placed the newspaper? Yes-ish, explore Perhaps in an effort to communicate either with the PD or the Jewish people there? There is communication with the Jewish people involved
Hobbsicle

Postby Enjay » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:24 pm

Is the newspaper placed on the piano? Near it? Was it placed by Franklin? Did Franklin use it in some way to help him communicate with the Jews in morse code? Was he communicating news stories to them?
Enjay

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:44 am

Has the newspaper been used for some other purpose than reading? E.g. to stuff damp shoes, to clean windows etc? Is there a code? Crossword relevant?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Hobbsicle » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Enjay

Is the newspaper placed on the piano? YES Near it? Was it placed by Franklin? YES Did Franklin use it in some way to help him communicate with the Jews in morse code? YES Was he communicating news stories to them? YES

invisiblemimsy

Has the newspaper been used for some other purpose than reading? E.g. to stuff damp shoes, to clean windows etc? Is there a code? Crossword relevant? Good questions, but Enjay got the final pieces here.

****************SPOILER**********************

This takes place in an Allied European country in World War II. Franklin has taken in Jews he had a connection with at his previous job, hiding them in a false room in the attic, without telling any of the other family members. He knows that Anne has an anxious disposition, and hopes that hiding the information from them will make the secret easier to keep. He also hopes (probably erroneously) that if the Jews are discovered, he will be considered the only guilty one. Unfortunately, keeping such a secret is no easy task, and things start to show. He acts distant and nervous on account of holding this weighty secret. He is eating half of what he usually does because he is giving the rest to the hidden Jews. Knowing that too many trips to the attic would be suspicious, he communicates to them via morse code that he plays on the piano, including newspaper headlines he considers important for them to know.

James has suspected what was going on, and has been putting together the pieces. At one point, he suspects that there might be a false wall in the attic, so he paces out the steps of the two rooms in order to measure them, counting slowly to himself. This is what Annie sees. James does not let on, since he assumes his parents know, and that he is not supposed to.

Bridgette has been hearing whispers and occasional crying at night, as they are situated right above her, and, being young and impressionable, believes there are ghosts in the house. One such night she goes to the kitchen and carries back a handful of salt to her room as protection from these ghosts, which is what Annie sees. She does not tell her parents, because she believes they would frown on her superstitious beliefs.

When the detective arrives, he listens to the stories and looks around, gathering clues. At one point, he sees that the morning newspaper had been left propped up on the music stand of the piano. When he combines that with the strange piano playing, he considers the possibility of Morse code. But who would he be communicating with? Given the times, and his experience, he puts together the idea of the hiding Jews. When he asks his question, he wants to make sure that Anne did not place it there herself, and when her ignorance of the paper bolsters his theory, he leaves, feeling it not in his place to disclose the information regarding the hiding Jews, for their safety and the safety of the family. He genuinely hopes, though, that all of their troubles will be at an end soon.

Thanks to all who participated! There were questions from a good variety of you, and everyone helped put together the different pieces. Congrats to Enjay for putting the final puzzle piece in place.
Hobbsicle

Re: [Hobbsicle] Rhapsody in Darkness (THE WAR IS OVER)

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:57 pm

Stunning puzzle, I really enjoyed it, thanks Hobbsicle.
And congrats to Enjay for the solve.
invisiblemimsy

Postby Enjay » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:47 pm

I really enjoyed this style of puzzle! Good one Hobbsicle!
Enjay

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:52 am

Appropriately, this appears to have been solved in the period between the two Holocaust Remembrance Days. A very nice one.
JenBurdoo

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles