[invisiblemimsy] Alright, Me Luvver?

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[invisiblemimsy] Alright, Me Luvver?

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Twin brothers are standing next to each other on a bridge. They are crafting identical items for passers-by. However, one brother is unable to sell his items. Why?
Last edited by invisiblemimsy on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invisiblemimsy

Re: Alright, Me Luvver?

Postby Earnest » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:39 pm

is their relative position one to the other relevant? Can we call A = twin who does not sell, twin B = the one who sells?
did twin A want not to sell his items? If so because he wanted to direct more clients to twin B?
Was it a test/experiment of some sort? Was it evident and manifest that they were twins? Did they both try to sell their products? Was the capability of B due mainly to his ability in negotiating? Marketing?....
WAG---> was it something like they were siamese twins and A was forced to stay in a less visible position than B?

Relevant that they were on a bridge? Relevant what they were trying to sell? Food? Clothing? Newspapers?
well again translator misleading...crafting = by hand working? Selling?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:42 pm

Earnest wrote:is their relative position one to the other relevant? YES Can we call A = twin who does not sell, twin B = the one who sells? OK, Let's say ALFRED doesn't sell and BORIS sells.

did twin A want not to sell his items? If so because he wanted to direct more clients to twin B? NO, THEY BOTH WANTED TO SELL THEIR ITEMS.
Was it a test/experiment of some sort? NO Was it evident and manifest that they were twins? IT'S IRREL, I JUST PUT THAT TO ESTABLISH THAT THERE WAS NO REAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM. Did they both try to sell their products? YES Was the capability of B due mainly to his ability in negotiating? Marketing?.... NO TO BOTH
WAG---> was it something like they were siamese twins and A was forced to stay in a less visible position than B? NO! :lol: :lol:

Relevant that they were on a bridge? YES Relevant what they were trying to sell? YES Food? YES Clothing? NO Newspapers? NO
well again translator misleading...crafting = by hand working? YES Selling?
"CRAFTING" in English usually means making items by hand, either individually or in small numbers, not mass production.
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Was the food of one contaminated by smoke? Was A in a position where the igyienical conditions were not guaranteed? Is the passage of boats relevant? The wind direction? Steamboats relevant?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Earnest wrote:Was the food of one contaminated by smoke? Was A in a position where the igyienical conditions were not guaranteed? Is the passage of boats relevant? The wind direction? Steamboats relevant?
NO TO ALL
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:13 pm

Is Alfred unable to sell because of: the food itself? The people he's trying to sell to? His position on the bridge? Because of Boris? Something he says? Does? Wears? Does anyone who declines to buy from him buy from Boris instead?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:30 pm

GalFisk wrote:Is Alfred unable to sell because of: the food itself? YOPE The people he's trying to sell to? NO His position on the bridge? YES Because of Boris? NO Something he says? YES Does? YES Wears? NO Does anyone who declines to buy from him buy from Boris instead? YES

Great questions!
invisiblemimsy

Postby trebor » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:51 pm

Is it relevant specifically what food they were preparing? Does one of them sell drinks as well? Is any signage relevant?
trebor

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:05 pm

trebor wrote:Is it relevant specifically what food they were preparing? YES Does one of them sell drinks as well? NO Is any signage relevant? YES
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:12 pm

Food packaging relevant? Littering? Payment? Relevant how/where the food is eaten? Is it eaten while walking? Standing? Sitting? Waiting? Traveling? Cutlery relevant? Can Alfred sell simply by changing his position? Or is more needed? Do people buy food from Boris: far out on the bridge? Before crossing? After crossing? Do they need to wait between ordering food and receiving it? Relevant? Relevant what exists at the ends of the bridge? Is the food hot? Cold? Relevant?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:52 pm

GalFisk wrote:Food packaging relevant? NO Littering? NO Payment? FOR 'METHOD OF PAYMENT', NO Relevant how/where the food is eaten? NO Is it eaten while walking? Standing? Sitting? Waiting? Traveling? Cutlery relevant? ALL IRREL Can Alfred sell simply by changing his position? OTRT Or is more needed? OTRT Do people buy food from Boris: far out on the bridge? Before crossing? After crossing? DOYD of 'crossing' and 'far out'. Do they need to wait between ordering food and receiving it? IRREL Relevant? Relevant what exists at the ends of the bridge? YES Is the food hot? YES Cold? NO BUT IRREL
invisiblemimsy

Postby JenBurdoo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:58 am

Are they facing different streams of traffic? Is the traffic pattern relevant? Stoplights? If they reversed positions, or worked at a different time or on a different road, would their sales effectiveness be reversed? Does the bridge cross a relevant border?
JenBurdoo

Postby Earnest » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 am

Do they sell fish? Street food? Hot dogs? Were them in the middle of the bridge? At the end? On the opposite sides of a road on the bridge? On the opposite sides of the bridge?

Was people obliged to enter from the side of the bridge where A was placed so that they buy from him first if hungry and then when going to B they are no more hungry? Is a ban relevant? Was the brudge above water (lake, river...)? Relevant?
Did B attract clients by screaming something about the quality of the food he sells? If so about the quality of his food w.r.t. the food of A? E.g. "the best .... of the country"?

Are his claims contraducted by his position on the bridge? Is the pronunciation of a word relevant?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:20 pm

JenBurdoo wrote:Are they facing different streams of traffic? Is the traffic pattern relevant? Stoplights? NO TO THESE If they reversed positions, THIS or worked at a different time NO or on a different road, YOPE would their sales effectiveness be reversed? Does the bridge cross a relevant border? YES
Last edited by invisiblemimsy on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:43 pm

Earnest wrote:Do they sell fish? NO Street food? THEY'RE ON THE STREET SO YES, BUT IT COULD ALSO BE SOLD ELSEWHERE Hot dogs? NO Were them in the middle of the bridge? YES At the end? On the opposite sides of a road on the bridge? IRREL On the opposite sides of the bridge? TO SAVE TIME, THEY ARE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BRIDGE, BUT ONE IS JUST A LITTLE BIT TOWARDS THE NORTH END AND THE OTHER IS TOWARDS THE SOUTH.

Was people obliged to enter from the side of the bridge where A was placed so that they buy from him first if hungry and then when going to B they are no more hungry? NO Is a ban relevant? YESISH Was the brudge above water YES (lake, river...)? RIVER Relevant? YES
Did B attract clients by screaming something about the quality of the food he sells? ROFL! NO If so about the quality of his food w.r.t. the food of A? E.g. "the best .... of the country"? NO BUT OTRT
Are his claims contraducted by his position on the bridge? OTRT Is the pronunciation of a word relevant? NO
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:49 pm

Does the bridge cross a relevant border? Do other people relevantly work on the bridge? If so: guards? Law enforcement? Military? Other food sellers? Do people decline food because they: are not hungry? Cannot pay? Will break a rule or law if they do? Will be seen breaking a rule or law? Is being seen buying the food relevant? If so, do they want to be seen? Not be seen? Is the area they're buying the food in relevant?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:23 pm

GalFisk wrote:Does the bridge cross a relevant border? YES Do other people relevantly work on the bridge? NOT OFTEN, BUT TODAY YES If so: guards? Law enforcement? THIS Military? Other food sellers? YES Do people decline food because they: are not hungry? NO Cannot pay?NO Will break a rule or law if they do? YOPE BUT F/A Will be seen breaking a rule or law? YOPE BUT F/A Is being seen buying the food relevant? YOPE If so, do they want to be seen?IRREL Not be seen? IRREL Is the area they're buying the food in relevant? YES
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:01 pm

Protests relevant? Is one selling food to protesters, another to law enforcement? Protests relevant? Is the border between countries? Cities? States? Is the border permanent? Temporary? Moving? Are people stopped from crossing between the areas the two sellers occupy? Are people forced to cross? Only allowed in one direction? Is the bridge only for pedestrians? Is it indoors? In an airport?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:22 pm

GalFisk wrote:Protests relevant? Is one selling food to protesters, another to law enforcement? Protests relevant? NONE OF THESE Is the border between countries? Cities? States THIS, SORT OF Is the border permanent? YES Temporary? NO Moving? NO Are people stopped from crossing between the areas the two sellers occupy? NO Are people forced to cross? NO Only allowed in one direction? MO Is the bridge only for pedestrians? NO Is it indoors? NO In an airport? NO
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:14 pm

Do the two sellers reside on opposite sides of the border? Would they both sell if law enforcement wasn't present? Does the bridge cross a: sea? Lake? River? Gorge? Road? Railroad? Valley? Canal? Length of the bridge relevant? If so, more than: 1m? 10m? 100m? 1000m? Doe the bridge carry: cars? Trucks? Cyclists? Trains? Relevant? Is law enforcement present in order to: keep order? Prevent a crime? Search for someone? Parade? Intimidate? Prevent a non-crime? Guard someone? Or something? Are they present at the bridge center? One end? Both ends?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:23 pm

GalFisk wrote:Do the two sellers reside on opposite sides of the border? NO Would they both sell if law enforcement wasn't present? YES Does the bridge cross a: sea? Lake? River? THIS Gorge? Road? Railroad? Valley? Canal? Length of the bridge relevant? NO If so, more than: 1m? 10m? 100m? 1000m? Doe the bridge carry: cars? Trucks? Cyclists? Trains? Relevant? IRREL Is law enforcement present in order to: keep order? Prevent a crime? FOR SVV OF CRIME Search for someone? Parade? Intimidate? Prevent a non-crime? SVV OF NON-CRIME Guard someone? Or something? NO Are they present at the bridge center? THIS One end? Both ends?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Does law enforcement relevantly buy from Boris? Not buy from Alfred?
Is it relevant what type of food they sell? Do they sell the same type of food? Are they selling fish?
Does this take place in wartime?
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Balin wrote:Does law enforcement relevantly buy from Boris? Not buy from Alfred? HE DOESNT BUY FROM EITHER OF THEM
Is it relevant what type of food they sell? YES Do they sell the same type of food? YES Are they selling fish? NO
Does this take place in wartime? NO
invisiblemimsy

Re: [invisiblemimsy] Alright, Me Luvver?

Postby Earnest » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Law enforcement of both states? Of one state and not of the other? Did they guard the borders? Is rhe border vertical w.r.t. then? Horizontal? Is the brudge the actual border?

Was the one who did not sell on the state of the one whe instead was selling, would he have sold his food? Food sold = sweets? Meat? Vegetables? Fried potatoes? Fried food? Did one state introduced something which enabled the man to sell more?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:54 pm

Earnest wrote:Law enforcement of both states? NOISH FA LURKING Of one state and not of the other? NO Did they guard the borders? NO Is rhe border vertical w.r.t. then? Horizontal? NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY THESE 2 Q’s Is the brudge the actual border? YESISH

Was the one who did not sell on the state of the one whe instead was selling, would he have sold his food? DONT UNDERSTAND QUESTION? SORRY Food sold = sweets? NO Meat? YESISH Vegetables? YESISH Fried potatoes? Fried food?NO Did one state introduced something which enabled the man to sell more?NO
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:07 am

Does the border cross the bridge (such that a person crossing will start in one state and end in another? Does the border cut the bridge in half the long way (such that two people walking on either side of the bridge are in different states)?
Is Alfred's booth closer to the border? Is Boris'? Does either of the brothers' booth serve as part of the official border crossing process?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:30 am

Did they sell sandwiches? Had they worked in a McDonald, would the same situation have taken place? Was the quality of food or at least how people perceive the quality of food the problem?

Was it prohibited to eat meat in a state and not in the other? Religion relevant? My previous questions were just to understand wheather the river was the actual border or the bridge.
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:42 am

Balin wrote:Does the border cross the bridge (such that a person crossing will start in one state and end in another? YES Does the border cut the bridge in half the long way (such that two people walking on either side of the bridge are in different states)? NO
Is Alfred's booth closer to the border? Is Boris'? BOTH ABOUT THE SAME Does either of the brothers' booth serve as part of the official border crossing process? NO
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:46 am

Earnest wrote:Did they sell sandwiches? NO Had they worked in a McDonald, would the same situation have taken place? NO Was the quality of food or at least how people perceive the quality of food the problem? NO

Was it prohibited to eat meat in a state and not in the other? NO Religion relevant? NO My previous questions were just to understand wheather the river was the actual border or the bridge. RIVER = BORDER, BRIDGE GOES ACROSS RIVER, SEE MY ANSWER TO GALFISK ABOVE :0)
invisiblemimsy

Postby LemonCurry » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Are selling licenses relevant? Health certificates? Closing times or related laws which are different in both countries?
LemonCurry

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 pm

LemonCurry wrote:Are selling licenses relevant? NOHealth certificates? NOClosing times NOor related laws which are different in both countries?YES
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Is one of the ingredients illegal to sell in one country? Illegal to eat?
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Balin wrote:Is one of the ingredients illegal to sell in one country? Illegal to eat? NO BUT EXPLORE
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Is an embargo relevant? Was the cost of the ingredients rised in one? Was one forced to use the ingredients of the other so that the ingredients he uses are considered as "imported"?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Earnest wrote:Is an embargo relevant? Was the cost of the ingredients rised in one? Was one forced to use the ingredients of the other so that the ingredients he uses are considered as "imported"?NOTO ALL
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:19 am

Did they cook wurstel? Sausage? Pork?
Did they grill the food? Is the way in which they cook the food they sell relevant? Fire relevant? Were them on a street crossing the border of two states, would the puzzle still work?

Is the way in which the bridge is perceived by the two countries relevant (e.g. one country see the bridge as an institution in which selling food would be considered not much polite while the other does not?)? Is one of the two indicating the food as typical of the country but the other one was near and so his claim was discredited?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Earnest wrote:Did they cook wurstel? Sausage? Pork? NO
Did they grill the food? NO Is the way in which they cook the food they sell relevant? NOT DIRECTLY BUT EXPLORE Fire relevant? NO Were them on a street crossing the border of two states, would the puzzle still work? IN THEORY BUT OTWT

Is the way in which the bridge is perceived by the two countries relevant (e.g. one country see the bridge as an institution in which selling food would be considered not much polite while the other does not?)? NO Is one of the two indicating the food as typical of the country but the other one was near and so his claim was discredited?NO BUT OTRT, EXPLORE
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Were there two ways of cooking the same dish but the official way of cooking it is known with the name of a State? (E.g wiener schnietzel)

Had them been distant would the puzzle work? If not because the reason why B does not sell is immediately visible by looking at what A is selling instead? Is the difference in a particular sauce/ingredient used? The fact that one shows how he cooks it? The fact that one could claim that his products are km 0 while the other not? The fact that one is able to certify something that the other could not?

Food sold = beef? Salads? Tomatoes? Second dishes? Snacks? chicken? A type of meat? A type of fish?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:39 pm

Earnest wrote:Were there two ways of cooking the same dish but the official way of cooking NO, BUT... it is known with the name of a State? (E.g wiener schnietzel) YES, OTRT

Had them been distant would the puzzle work? DISTANT FROM WHAT? EACH OTHER? SOMETHING ELSE? SORRY EARNEST I'M NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEANIf not because the reason why B does not sell is immediately visible by looking at what A is selling instead? NOIs the difference in a particular sauce/ingredient used? NOThe fact that one shows how he cooks it? NOThe fact that one could claim that his products are km 0 while the other not? OTRT The fact that one is able to certify something that the other could not? YESISH
Food sold = beef? YES Salads? Tomatoes? Second dishes? Snacks? chicken? A type of meat? A type of fish? NO TO REST, BUT THERE ARE OTHER INGREDIENTS TOO
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:53 pm

Hamburger? Steak? Stew? Sandwitch? Is bread involved? Vegetables? Dairy?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:53 pm

GalFisk wrote:Hamburger? NOSteak? THIS IS ONE OF THE INGREDIENTSStew? NOSandwitch? NOIs bread involved? NOVegetables? THIS IS AN INGREDIENTDairy?AND THIS IS AN INGREDIENT
invisiblemimsy

Postby biograd » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:55 pm

Is there a law that the dish can only be called by its most familiar name if it's made and/or sold in the country that it's named after? Are the two sellers just on opposite sides of the border, so one can sell it under its familiar name while the other has to call it something else?
biograd

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:44 pm

Dairy: milk? Cream? Sour cream? Creme fraiche? Cheese? Whey? Cottage cheese? Ice cream? Cream sauce?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:54 pm

biograd wrote:Is there a law that the dish can only be called by its most familiar name if it's made and/or sold in the country that it's named after? Are the two sellers just on opposite sides of the border, so one can sell it under its familiar name while the other has to call it something else?

Exactly this, yes!
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:02 pm

****************************$$SPOILER$$**************

Twin brothers, Alfred and Boris, are standing next to each other on a bridge. They are crafting identical items for passers-by. However, one brother, Alfred, is unable* to sell his items.

*for a certain value of ‘unable’.

The bridge is over the Tamar River which divides Devon and Cornwall (in England). The brothers are crafting Cornish pasties, each using exactly the same method and ingredients. The finished pasties look identical, too. They each have a sign which says, “Cornish pasties, £2.” However, you’re not allowed, legally**, to call a pasty a “Cornish pasty” if it’s made anywhere other than Cornwall. (One brother is on the Devon side of the bridge, the other is in Cornwall, strictly speaking). If he changes one thing, i.e. the name, he can sell it (i.e. just call it a ‘pasty’, or a ‘Devon pasty’ (which isn’t even a thing). But then he’d have to charge a lower price in order to sell them, because Cornish pasties are considered to be a superior product, and even then, he’d have trouble selling them.

The brothers may choose to break this law, and in fact, initially Alfred does. But for the purposes of the puzzle, there is a food inspector who approaches and tells them he will be enforcing the law and fining any rulebreakers**.

In the UK, the same law is in place for certain other products, e.g. West Country Farmhouse Cheddar. (**per “EU Protected Designation of Origin”)

WELL DONE to Biograd for the solve, and to everyone else who played.
invisiblemimsy

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles