[invisiblemimsy] Sign of the times

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[invisiblemimsy] Sign of the times

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:43 pm

This clock won’t tell the time, but it’ll show you the times.
Last edited by invisiblemimsy on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invisiblemimsy

Re: Sign of the times

Postby Earnest » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:02 pm

I = H/A/M? An object?
Time = times = the inevitable flow of millisecobds seconds hours days and years?
Time as in music? (Tempo and so on...) time = general and times = specific set of times in which something happens? Times = times in different systems? In different fantastic systems (e.g. planet in Star wars)?
Relevant the way in which the times are communicated? By a sound different from the voice? By the voice of who is communicating the times? By a screen?

Clock = a specific clock? Swatch? A wall clock? Big ben? A famous clock on a building?
The clock won't tell the time means: if someone (everyone?) looks at the clock, the clock is not able to tell the hour? Won't tell the time because is broken? Because of a different system of measuring time? Because actually it is not a clock? Is it on earth?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:24 pm

Earnest wrote:I = H/A/M? No to allAn object? Yes
Time = times No, "time" does not = "times" = the inevitable flow of millisecobds seconds hours days and years?
Time as in music? (Tempo and so on...) No time = general and times = specific set of times in which something happens? This is closest Times = times in different systems? No In different fantastic systems (e.g. planet in Star wars)?No
Relevant the way in which the times are communicated? Yes By a sound different from the voice? F/A By the voice of who is communicating the times? F/A By a screen? OTRT

Clock = a specific clock? Yes Swatch? A wall clock? Big ben? A famous clock on a building? None of these
The clock won't tell the time means: if someone (everyone?) looks at the clock, the clock is not able to tell the hour? Correct Won't tell the time because is broken? No Because of a different system of measuring time? No Because actually it is not a clock? This Is it on earth?Yes
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:14 pm

PM sent.
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:00 pm

GalFisk wrote:PM sent.

No, it isn't.

I'm not sure if you got my reply to your PM, I tried to send it twice but it seems to still be sitting in my inbox. (n00b)
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:14 am

PM received.
So it's not the doomsday clock.
Is it another clock that doesn't move unless moved by humans? Is it a counter? Stopwatch? Timer?
Is it a solar clock on mercury? Or another tidally locked body? Nevermind, I see it was on Earth.
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:37 am

GalFisk wrote:PM received.
So it's not the doomsday clock.
Is it another clock that doesn't move unless moved by humans? Is it a counter? Stopwatch? Timer?
Is it a solar clock on mercury? Or another tidally locked body? Nevermind, I see it was on Earth.No to all
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Has it something to do with an alternative way to measure time? E.g. shadows? Something related with sun? With stars?

Time = usual definition of time (seconds, hours...) right?
Times = measurable in terms of hours? Seconds? historical periods? Times of a match?

Is the object which shows times a newspaper? (It shows every day which day it is) is it an object that shws the various times at the same time or it shows just the actual time in which we find? (E.g a clock shows just the present time by definition, while an history book can show several times because it looks also to the past)
Do the times belong to the past? Present? Future?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:14 pm

Does it move/change? If so, is it moved/changed by: humans? Animals? Electronics? Electricity? Movement? Celestial movement? Is it an atomic clock?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Earnest wrote:Has it something to do with an alternative way to measure time? E.g. shadows? Something related with sun? With stars? No

Time = usual definition of time (seconds, hours...) right? Yes
Times = measurable in terms of hours? No Seconds? Yes historical periods? Yesish Times of a match? No

Is the object which shows times a newspaper? No(It shows every day which day it is) is it an object that shws the various times at the same time or it shows just the actual time in which we find? (E.g a clock shows just the present time by definition, while an history book can show several times because it looks also to the past) I think the history book is closest, but I'm not sure I've fully understood this question Earnest
Do the times belong to the past? YesPresent? Yes for SVV of 'present' Future? No
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:43 pm

GalFisk wrote:Does it move/change? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'move/change' - I think for SVV - but can you redefine or give an example?If so, is it moved/changed by: humans? This, subject to above reservation Animals? Electronics? Electricity? Movement? Celestial movement? NoIs it an atomic clock?No
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:40 pm

Move: does the clock or parts of it change position in order to indicate something?
Change: does the clock or part of it change appearance (color, shape, texture, translucency, state of matter) in order to indicate something?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:03 pm

So...sorry for being unclear sometimes but some translations are coming authomatically and directly from italian...I'll try to be clearer

So summaryzing we have: times are measured in seconds and belong to the past right?
So is it a recent past or an ancient past? If recent, of maximum lenght one day? Few seconds? Few hours? (...well I just want to come to a paradox xD) can we say that the object is able to tell us what happened at the n-th second of an event? Are those times sonehow recorded? Is what happened during those times recorded in the same object that shows the times? Is the main aim of the object to show times?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:31 pm

GalFisk wrote:Move: does the clock or parts of it change position in order to indicate something?No
Change: does the clock or part of it change appearance (color, shape, texture, translucency, state of matter) in order to indicate something?No, but explore
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:38 pm

Earnest wrote:So...sorry for being unclear sometimes but some translations are coming authomatically and directly from italian...I'll try to be clearer No worries!

So summaryzing we have: times are measured in seconds and belong to the past right? YES
So is it a recent past Mostly this or an ancient past? But this is relevant too If recent, of maximum lenght one day? Few seconds? Mostly this, but the others are relevant tooFew hours? (...well I just want to come to a paradox xD) can we say that the object is able to tell us what happened at the n-th second of an event? YesAre those times sonehow recorded? Yes Is what happened during those times recorded in the same object that shows the times? YesIs the main aim of the object to show times? Yes, but...
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:30 pm

Well all green lights here ahahah...

So...is the object a camera? Chronometer? Are the times shown on a paper? On a screen? If one wants to check a specific time does he need to turn the object on (is it an electronic object?)? Does the object have a clock in inside? I am thinking for instance of a microwave or a oven...I mean their main aim is to check cooking times but they are not properly clocks...

Or something with a display that shows some numbers representing times but if you look at them, that is if you set the clock inside the object, you won't discover the time in the usual sense but times (amount of times)?
Are the times set by the user of the object?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:08 pm

Earnest wrote:Well all green lights here ahahah... :D

So...is the object a camera? Yes Chronometer? No Are the times shown on a paper? Yope On a screen? No If one wants to check a specific time does he need to turn the object on (is it an electronic object?)? No and no Does the object have a clock in inside? NoI am thinking for instance of a microwave or a oven...I mean their main aim is to check cooking times but they are not properly clocks...No

Or something with a display that shows some numbers representing times No but explorebut if you look at them, that is if you set the clock inside the object, you won't discover the time in the usual sense but times (amount of times)? No, poss FA
Are the times set by the user of the object? Yesish, but poss FA
invisiblemimsy

Re: [invisiblemimsy] Sign of the times

Postby biograd » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:18 pm

Are these "times" corresponding to lightning flashes? earthquakes? some other meteorological/earth science phenomenon? to atomic or chemical phenomena (e.g. nuclear decay events, chemical reactions, etc.)? Man-made phenomena?
biograd

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:14 pm

biograd wrote:Are these "times" corresponding to lightning flashes? earthquakes? some other meteorological/earth science phenomenon? to atomic or chemical phenomena (e.g. nuclear decay events, chemical reactions, etc.)? Man-made phenomena? No to all
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:02 am

Are times shown on a film? The clock is actually the picture of a clock? Does the clock move? Is there a sticker of a clock on the camera? A symbol indicating a clock?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:01 am

Earnest wrote:Are times shown on a film? Yes, F/A lurking The clock is actually the picture of a clock? No but otrt Does the clock move? for svv of 'move' Is there a sticker of a clock on the camera? no A symbol indicating a clock?Yesish
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:19 pm

Camera: photo camera? Movie camera? Surveillance camera? Motion-activated camera? Camera using actual film? Electronics?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:16 pm

GalFisk wrote:Camera: photo camera? YES Movie camera? NoSurveillance camera?No, but...Motion-activated camera? No Camera using actual film? Yes Electronics?No
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:15 pm

Is the camera used for surveillance? Spying? Paparazzi photography?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:05 pm

GalFisk wrote:Is the camera used for surveillance? Spying? This Paparazzi photography?
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:22 pm

Is the camera held by a person? Operated directly by a person? Operated by remote control? Is it on a vehicle? Space ship? Satellite? Is it hidden? Camouflaged as something else? Such as a watch? Pen? Does it photograph big things? Small things? Faraway things? Close things? Documents? People? Objects? Devices?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:36 pm

GalFisk wrote:Is the camera held by a person? Yes Operated directly by a person? Yes Operated by remote control? No Is it on a vehicle? No Space ship? No Satellite? No Is it hidden? Yope Camouflaged as something else? Yes Such as a watch? Yes Pen? No Does it photograph big things? No Small things? Yes Faraway things? Probably not Close things? Probably Documents? Yes People? Possibly Objects? YesDevices?Possibly
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:22 pm

Is this one specific clock camera? Cameras camouflaged as clocks in general? If one specific, was it used as part of WWII? The Cold War? Was it discovered? Was it camouflaged as a wristwatch? Pocket watch? Did it exist in fiction? Our real world?
GalFisk

Re: [invisiblemimsy] Sign of the times **[TICKED]**

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:44 pm

GalFisk wrote:Is this one specific clock camera? One specific kind. Cameras camouflaged as clocks in general? If one specific, was it used as part of WWII? The Cold War? It was pre WW1Was it discovered? Was it camouflaged as a wristwatch? Pocket watch? THIS Did it exist in fiction? Our real world?Yes

********************************$$SPOILER**************

I have a Ticka watch, c. 1905, which was designed to look like a pocket watch. It's basically a spy camera. It has a tiny lens hidden in the knob on the top, and a winder on the back (which winds the tiny film cartridge, not the hands). They came with a detachable viewfinder, although mine has lost this and has lots of dents in.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Ticka_watch_camera

Well done to GalFisk for the solve, also to Earnest and Biograd for playing, lots of good Q's!
invisiblemimsy

Re: [invisiblemimsy] Sign of the times [**TICKED**]

Postby Earnest » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 am

Very nice!
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:50 am

Thanks Earnest!
invisiblemimsy

Postby biograd » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:56 pm

It's amazing to think that despite the general trend of miniaturization of cameras from big bulky things that almost needed a briefcase to carry around all the way to something slime enough to fit in a cell phone, that it was possible to make a camera that small so long ago. Even the Apple Watch doesn't have a camera, as far as I know. The Ticka didn't have apps of course, but still it's amazing!
biograd

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:34 am

Yes I agree, it's pretty incredible. I have an interest in old cameras and in clocks, so this is a beautiful overlap of the two.
invisiblemimsy

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles