[Balin] Devil's Deux: Gee, I'm a tree

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] Devil's Deux: Gee, I'm a tree

Postby Balin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:18 pm

I saw this story online and was reminded of another recent puzzle, so:

A couple got divorced because Isabella looked at squares. Why?
Balin

Re: [Balin] Devil's Deux: Gee, I'm a tree

Postby GalFisk » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Isabella: HAF? Squares: geometrical shapes? Tiles? Open city spaces for people and commerce? People with socially conservative views? Numbers or terms multiplied with themselves? Grids? Cubes seen in two dimensions? Square pixels? Squares as opposed to some other shape? Is her profession relevant? Is she seeing the result of a test? Professions of the couple relevant? Couple = HAM+HAF? Relevant for how long they were married? Did they have kids? Relevant? Did both want the divorce?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:17 pm

Was this the same Isabella as in the previous puzzle? Was it the same or similar setting?
Last edited by invisiblemimsy on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invisiblemimsy

Postby Enjay » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:33 pm

Was Isabella part of the couple? Had she met the couple? Was she related to them?

Did the couple get divorced days after Isabella looked at squares? Weeks? Months? Years? Decades?

Did the couple get divorced because of something relating to a crime? Something that damaged trust between them? Infidelity? An argument? A misunderstanding? Did both members of the couple want to get divorced?
Enjay

Postby Balin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:04 am

Isabella: HAF? HTF (T = teen)
Squares: geometrical shapes? Yes Tiles? Open city spaces for people and commerce? People with socially conservative views? Numbers or terms multiplied with themselves? Grids? And Yes Cubes seen in two dimensions? Square pixels? Squares as opposed to some other shape? It could be no other shape. No to rest
Is her profession relevant? Yes, svv of "profession" Is she seeing the result of a test? No
Professions of the couple relevant? No Couple = HAM+HAF? Yes Relevant for how long they were married? No Did they have kids? Yope Relevant? Yes Did both want the divorce? The man definitely did, the woman possibly but less relevant

Was this the same Isabella as in the previous puzzle? No, I just used the name in reference to the other puzzle Was it the same or similar setting? No

Was Isabella part of the couple? No Had she met the couple? Yes Was she related to them? Yes

Did the couple get divorced days after Isabella looked at squares? They decided to get divorced a day or so after Weeks? Months? Years? Decades?

Did the couple get divorced because of something relating to a crime? Something that damaged trust between them? Yes Infidelity? Yes An argument? A misunderstanding? Did both members of the couple want to get divorced? See above
Balin

Postby GalFisk » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:41 am

A grid: lines on a surface? Graph paper? A net? A table? Something displayed on a screen?
Related: daughter of him? Daughter of her? Sibling of him? Sibling of her?
I just realized something. PM sent.
GalFisk

Postby Enjay » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:56 am

Did Isabella reveal the infidelity? If so, inadvertently? Did she comment on having looked at the squares? Did the couple know she had looked at the squares?
Enjay

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:23 pm

Did they relevantly have pets? Were they pregnant? Were they trying to get pregnant? Had they lost a baby or a child? Abortion? Miscarriage? Stillbirth? Baby/child died later? relevant?
Isabella's SVV profession = Hobby? Part time job? College or Uni? Intended profession? Some kind of game relevant?
Squares on a map?
Isabella = child of couple? Sister, cousin, god-daughter, other?
Age of Isabella relevant? Isabella having affair? With one of them? Affair between man and someone else, woman and someone else, relevant?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:55 pm

A grid: lines on a surface? Graph paper? A net? A table? This, I'd say Something displayed on a screen?
Related: daughter of him? No Daughter of her? {b]Yes[/b] Sibling of him? No Sibling of her? No
I just realized something. PM sent. And you got it.

Did Isabella reveal the infidelity? Yes If so, inadvertently? Yes Did she comment on having looked at the squares? Yes Did the couple know she had looked at the squares? Yes

Did they relevantly have pets? No Were they pregnant? She was, Yes Were they trying to get pregnant? Yes, see prev Had they lost a baby or a child? No Abortion? Miscarriage? Stillbirth? Baby/child died later? relevant? The Yeses in this section are relevant
Isabella's SVV profession = Hobby? Part time job? College or Uni? This - university student Intended profession?
Some kind of game relevant? No
Squares on a map? No
Isabella = child of couple? Yes Sister, cousin, god-daughter, other?
Age of Isabella relevant? I said teen, but "young adult" is more accurate - assume she's around 18. And Yes Isabella having affair? No With one of them? So no Affair between man and someone else, woman and someone else, relevant? No, Yes, Yes

This is going to go in the next couple posts, methinks
Balin

Postby Enjay » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:08 pm

Did Isabella previously know she wasn't the man's daughter? Did the man know? The mother? Is the man the father of the baby the mother is currently carrying?

Did the squares reveal that she wasn't his daughter? Were they some kind of DNA test? A genetic matrix type thing (eg showing how parents' eye colour relates to that of the child) which made Isabella realise she must not be her father's daughter?
Enjay

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:18 pm

Was the graph/grid an ovulation chart? Did it reveal that the woman can’t’ve Got pregnant by her husband but by another man? Artificial insemination relevant?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:54 pm

Was the graph/grid an ovulation chart? No Did it reveal that the woman can’t’ve Got pregnant by her husband but by another man? No Artificial insemination relevant? No

Did Isabella previously know she wasn't the man's daughter? No Did the man know? No The mother? Yes Is the man the father of the baby the mother is currently carrying? The mother is not currently pregnant, my bad

Did the squares reveal that she wasn't his daughter? Yes Were they some kind of DNA test? No A genetic matrix type thing (eg showing how parents' eye colour relates to that of the child) which made Isabella realise she must not be her father's daughter? Not eye color, but exactly.

****SPOILER****

Reportedly, a student in biology class got in an argument with her professor because her Punnett square showed that her blood type was impossible given her parents' blood types. She went home to discuss this with her parents, and learned that her actual birth father was her uncle, with whom the mother had an affair. Divorce proceedings began.

Well done Galfisk, Enjay, and mimsy.
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles