[invisiblemimsy] Avast Me Hearties!

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[invisiblemimsy] Avast Me Hearties!

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:02 pm

Ahoy!

We went ashore and found a tavern these past three nights. I swore to the Captain I would plunder him a fine cutlass. Nah only that, but I bade him watch me closely, for he wouldna see me plunder it, I be such a clever thief! He did watch me, and in time I brought him a big shiny cutlass as fancy as you like! He never saw me loot it, and he asked me how I did it, but I wouldna say. He bought me ale all night for me trouble.

Well, landlubbers, what was me secret?
Last edited by invisiblemimsy on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invisiblemimsy

Re: [invisiblemimsy] Avast Me Hearties!

Postby GalFisk » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:14 pm

Did ya use a magician's trick? Did ya actually snatch that cutlass? If so, relevant from whom ya pilfered it? Did ya buy it? Own it yerself? Is there anything remarkable about it, apart from it being fine?
GalFisk

Postby peter365 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:46 pm

Just to be sure we are talking about a sword, yes?

Did you actually steal it? Did you hide it in plain sight? Conceal it among something else?

Do we need to establish anything about who you stole it from ?

When you say he couldn't see you plunder it do you mean he could see you but didn't see you steal it? or could he not see you at all?
peter365

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:25 pm

GalFisk wrote:Did ya use a magician's trick? Yes, SVV (not like a trick you buy in a shop) Did ya actually snatch that cutlass? Yes If so, relevant from whom ya pilfered it? No Did ya buy it? Own it yerself? Is there anything remarkable about it, apart from it being fine? No to these
Last edited by invisiblemimsy on Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:32 pm

peter365 wrote:Just to be sure we are talking about a sword, yes? Yes

Did you actually steal it? Yes Did you hide it in plain sight? No Conceal it among something else? Yes

Do we need to establish anything about who you stole it from ? Yope

When you say he couldn't see you plunder it do you mean he could see you but didn't see you steal it? Yes or could he not see you at all? Not this
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:18 pm

Did you steal it in the tavern? Was the sword the Captain's sword? Have you already got a sword? If so before entering the tavern?
Relevant the length of the sword? Was it a real sword? A sword which is able to kill someoene? A sword like a pirate sword? Was it part of the tavern's furniture?
Was there a sword in the tavern? Were you drunk? Was the Captain drunk? Captain = relevant this whole analogy with pirates? Did you all wear a mask? Relevant your clothing?
Did you give the sword to rhe Captain? If so did you need to bend to take the sword? Was the sword relevantly near you? Above you? Below you? Above the Captain? In a position in which the captain was not able to see it? Below the table? On the rock?(ok...joking)
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:02 pm

Earnest wrote:Did you steal it in the tavern? Yes Was the sword the Captain's sword? No Have you already got a sword? No or irrel If so before entering the tavern? No
Relevant the length of the sword? About 2 foot 6 inches, medium anyway Was it a real sword? Yes A sword which is able to kill someoene? Yes A sword like a pirate sword? probably Was it part of the tavern's furniture? No
Was there a sword in the tavern? Yes, let's assume 1/2 of the men in the tavern had swords Were you drunk? No Was the Captain drunk? No Captain = relevant this whole analogy with pirates? Yes, he was Captain of a pirate ship Did you all wear a mask? No Relevant your clothing? General pirate clothing, there may even have been a parrot :)
Did you give the sword to rhe Captain? Yes, as per the first post If so did you need to bend to take the sword? Possibly but irrel Was the sword relevantly near you? At the point where I stole it? Yes Above you? No Below you? For some of the time, YES Above the Captain? No In a position in which the captain was not able to see it? Some of the time he would, some of the time he wouldn't Below the table? possibly but mostly irrel On the rock?(ok...joking) No lol
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:10 pm

Below you = under your feet? For some time = when something happened? Carosel relevant? Did you stole it from someoene? Was the someone below you from time to time? And then near you? Did you move toward him/her? Did you search inside his/her clothes to stole the sword? Did you wait until he/she was distracted? Did you distract him/her?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:22 pm

Earnest wrote:Below you = under your feet? Yesish For some time = when something happened? When a particular thing was happening, yes Carosel relevant? What do you mean by 'carosel'? Did you stole it from someoene? Yes Was the someone below you from time to time? No, FA And then near you? Yes Did you move toward him/her? Yes Did you search inside his/her clothes to stole the sword? No Did you wait until he/she was distracted? Yes Did you distract him/her? Possibly but irrel
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:34 pm

Dancing relevant? Change of partner while dancing? Were all the swords put in the same place?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:00 pm

Earnest wrote:Dancing relevant? Change of partner while dancing? Were all the swords put in the same place?
no to all
invisiblemimsy

Postby peter365 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:12 am

Did you conceal it among other things that resembled swords?

Any other stereotypical pirate things relevant? Wooden leg?
peter365

Postby Earnest » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:10 am

Was the someone who you have stolen the sword a perfect stranger for you? Someone with which you have never talked before? Is it relevant how you stole the sword in order to understan how you concealed it? When the sword was below you, was there something separating you from the sword or were you and the sword in direct contact? (e.g. your feet/other body parts touched the sword) was it (sword below you) after you have taken it from the other? Could it be that you simply took the someoene to who you stole the sword to the captain concealing his/her sword? ...I mean in that way you sort of took him the sword.

Did you conceal the sword in in your boots? When the someone to who you stole the sword (can I call him Brad?) was distracted, did you rake the sword from a sheath? Relevant how he got distracted? Relevant where he had the sword? On a sheath tied on the pants? did you distract him? Or was him distracted by something/somwone else?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:40 pm

peter365 wrote:Did you conceal it among other things that resembled swords? No

Any other stereotypical pirate things relevant? YES. Good question. Wooden leg?
Not this.
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Missed mines xD
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:46 pm

Earnest wrote:Oh sorry, Earnest!
Was the someone who you have stolen the sword a perfect stranger for you? Assume yes ...
I may have talked to him in the tavern that night but I certainly wouldn't have known him.
Someone with which you have never talked before? See previous answer Is it relevant how you stole the sword in order to understan how you concealed it? Noish - these are mostly separate things
When the sword was below you, was there something separating you from the sword or were you and the sword in direct contact? Yesish... I had clothes on (e.g. your feet/other body parts touched the sword) was it (sword below you) after you have taken it from the other? It was after I had taken it, but not straight away... Could it be that you simply took the someoene to who you stole the sword to the captain concealing his/her sword? ...I mean in that way you sort of took him the sword. No.

Did you conceal the sword in in your boots? No When the someone to who you stole the sword (can I call him Brad?) Sure was distracted, did you rake the sword from a sheath? No, I likely took the sheath as well, but mostly irrel Relevant how he got distracted? Yes Relevant where he had the sword? Not reallyOn a sheath tied on the pants? See previous did you distract him? yes Or was him distracted by something/somwone else?but also this
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:24 pm

No probs :)

Had he got a complete view of what was happening around him? Had brad got a blind fold on his eyes? Had the Captain? Were you able to fool one of the two thanks to this? If so the Captain ? Brad? Had both got a blind fold but on different eyes? Relevant?... ps hope blind fold is the correct word...
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:50 pm

Earnest wrote:No probs :)

Had he got a complete view of what was happening around him? Yesish* Had brad got a blind fold on his eyes? No Had the Captain? No. Were you able to fool one of the two thanks to this? So no If so the Captain ? Brad? Neither ps hope blind fold is the correct word... Lol, it's 'eyepatch'

* Obviously the bar had people and furniture in, but it was spacious. You can assume that the solution has nothing to do with people or furniture obscuring the view.
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:23 pm

Ok...so was Brad distracted because of his clothing?(e.g. a piece if his clothing getting caught somewhere?) Was the cause of his distraction sonething that could potentially turn out into negative consequences for him had he not pay attention? (E.g. a bottle of rum spilling over...) btw Pyrates of Caribbean relevant? Rum relevant (we are in a bar and rum is the favorite drink of pirates no?)? Did you distract him by hurting him? By making his attention converge to another place so that he gave you the shoulders and you could steal the sword? Anyway was Brad face to face with you when you stole him the sword or was him turned away w.r.t you?

Did you conceal the sword into your clothing? Did you conceal the sword in another place that you only knew inside the tavern and the take it when Captain required it ir did you give the sword to the captain as soon as you stole it from Brad?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:34 pm

Earnest wrote:Ok...so was Brad distracted because of his clothing?(e.g. a piece if his clothing getting caught somewhere?) No Was the cause of his distraction sonething that could potentially turn out into negative consequences for him had he not pay attention? Yes (E.g. a bottle of rum spilling over...) Not this btw Pyrates of Caribbean relevant? No Rum relevant Yes (we are in a bar and rum is the favorite drink of pirates no?)? Yes Did you distract him by hurting him? By making his attention converge to another place so that he gave you the shoulders and you could steal the sword? No to these Anyway was Brad face to face with you when you stole him the sword No or was him turned away w.r.t you? Probably but mostly irrel

Did you conceal the sword into your clothing? Yes Did you conceal the sword in another place Yes that you only knew inside the tavern No and the take it when Captain required it Yes ir did you give the sword to the captain as soon as you stole it from Brad? No

Good questions![
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:09 pm

Bottle of rum...so...did you use the bottle of rum to distract brad? Was there actual rum in inside the bottle? Relevant? Did you offer Brad to drink? Toasts relevant? Did you stole the sword by somehow grabbing it inside Brad's clothing or did he leave the sword sonewhere and you took it once he was distracted? E.g. you drunk rum at a table, he left the sword under the table and you took it with your feet (you made it nearer to you)
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:03 pm

Earnest wrote:Bottle of rum...so...did you use the bottle of rum to distract brad? I didn't, but very much otrt Was there actual rum in inside the bottle? Relevant? Did you offer Brad to drink? It's a tavern... there will have been oceans of rum! Toasts relevant? no Did you stole the sword by somehow grabbing it inside Brad's clothing no or did he leave the sword sonewhere and you took it once he was distracted? Yes E.g. you drunk rum at a table, No he left the sword under the table Yes and you took it with your feet Not with my feet, but yes, I took it.(you made it nearer to you)
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Did Brad drink the rum? Did the bottle of rum get Brad away from the table? Was Brad alone on the table? Was him with others? Relevant? Were the others your accomplices?
Was there a word that once pronounced everybody should make a toast or do sonething so that you told it to distract Brad? Did you relevantly talk/interact with Brad to distract him? To a waiter? Have you got accomplices? Did you take the sword with your hands without being noticed? Was Brad in the nearby when you took his sword? Has the helve a relevant shape so that when you concealed the sword inside your clothing just the helve appeared but seemed to be something which was part of your clothing?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:06 pm

Earnest wrote:Did Brad drink the rum? Yes Did the bottle of rum get Brad away from the table? No Was Brad alone on the table? No Was him with others? Yes Relevant? Yesish Were the others your accomplices? No

Basically, most people in the tavern had consumed a lot of rum and were steaming drunk

Was there a word that once pronounced everybody should make a toast or do sonething so that you told it to distract Brad? No Did you relevantly talk/interact with Brad to distract him? Yesish but this wasn't the main thing To a waiter? No Have you got accomplices? No Did you take the sword with your hands without being noticed? Yes Was Brad in the nearby when you took his sword? Yes Has the helve a relevant shape so that when you concealed the sword inside your clothing just the helve appeared but seemed to be something which was part of your clothing? No (I presume you mean handle or hilt?)
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:53 pm

So...was Brad drunk? Were his companions? Did you fake that Brad's sword was your sword? Did you put something else under the table at the beginning of the conversation and then at the end fake to took it back while instead stealing Brad's sword? Did you conceal the sword to Brad? Or did you conceal it in a second moment? Were there a plenty of swords under the table?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Earnest wrote:So...was Brad drunk? Yes Were his companions? Yes Did you fake that Brad's sword was your sword? No Did you put something else under the table at the beginning of the conversation and then at the end fake to took it back while instead stealing Brad's sword? No, I just stole the sword Did you conceal the sword to Brad? Or did you conceal it in a second moment? I don't know what you mean by these two questions. Basically, Brad didn't see me take it because he was drunk Were there a plenty of swords under the table? Yes
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:00 pm

So what we need to figure out? How you concealed the sword?
Earnest

Postby Earnest » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:09 pm

P.s. did you need an excuse to make the movement that allowed you to take the sword? Did you fake to be a waiter? Relecant in which part of your clothing you concealed the sword? In a usual one? In a clothing usually wore by pirates? Pants? Boots? Shirt?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Earnest wrote:So what we need to figure out? How you concealed the sword? not really. It’s enough that you’ve worked out I managed to steal it easily because Brad was drunk. Relevantly, you need to establish what I did with sword once I’d stolen it, and why the Captain didn’t see me take it even though he was watching me.
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:55 am

Ok...so Captain was watching you closely or from a certain distance? Was him perfectly capable of seing everything from that distance? Has he got glasses? Was him drunk as well? Did he see the swords under the table? Relevant Captain's position w.r.t your?

Once you've taken the sword (with your hands right?) did you conceal it behing your back so that Captain was not able to see it once you came back to him (did you come back toward him?)? Did you bend to take rhe swird? If so did Captain see you bending and taking it? Were you dressed like someone else so it was difficult to distinguish you from a certain distance? Did you tell Captain what you were giing to do before stealing the sword? Was him aware that you were going to Brad's table? Was the tavern relevantly crowded? ...
Ok stupid WAG...did you hook the sward on the back of a waiter (even him dressed like a pirate and already with a sword so that the Captain was not able to distinguish) panties and then call hin at your table taking back the stolen sword?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Earnest wrote:Ok...so Captain was watching you closely or from a certain distance? Let's say from across the bar Was him perfectly capable of seing everything from that distance? Yes Has he got glasses? No Was him drunk as well? No Did he see the swords under the table? Yes, he could see the swords under every table Relevant Captain's position w.r.t your? Not really

Once you've taken the sword (with your hands right?) Yes did you conceal it behing your back Inside my trousers with my coat covering it, but FA lurking so that Captain was not able to see it once you came back to him (did you come back toward him?)? FA Did you bend to take rhe swird? Yes but mostly irrel If so did Captain see you bending and taking it? No,
per the story at the top of this puzzle
Were you dressed like someone else so it was difficult to distinguish you from a certain distance? No Did you tell Captain what you were giing to do before stealing the sword? NO! FA Was him aware that you were going to Brad's table? Also NO, FA Was the tavern relevantly crowded? ... Yes
Ok stupid WAG...did you hook the sward on the back of a waiter (even him dressed like a pirate and already with a sword so that the Captain was not able to distinguish) panties and then call hin at your table taking back the stolen sword?No
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:32 pm

FA = the Captain was not looking at you while you were stealing the sword? He was not paying attention to what you were doing? If so, Relevant what he was doing instead? Because I understood that he was watching you...so...it means that at least he was paying attention ti what you were doing even though he(he is a male right?) is not aware of what you were going to do right?

To be sure...is the Captain a human being? And you have talked with the Captain before going to the tavern right? I mean, you know him right? Is the Captain watching you but not understanding what you were doing? If so because ge was not physically able to understand it? Because the place was crowded?

Did the Captain not see you taking the sword even if he was watching you due to a physical constraint? Due to the crowd? Was him able to see everything you were doing? Just something? Did something impeed him to see properly? Did you go directly to Brad's table or maybe you went to somewhere else before in order to distract the Captain's attention? Did you come back to the Captain before going to Brad's table?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:02 am

Earnest wrote:FA = the Captain was not looking at you while you were stealing the sword? Correct He was not paying attention to what you were doing? Correct If so, Relevant what he was doing instead? No Because I understood that he was watching you...so...it means that at least he was paying attention ti what you were doing even though he(he is a male right?) is not aware of what you were going to do right? All of this is the crux of the puzzle and of the FA.

To be sure...is the Captain a human being? Yes And you have talked with the Captain before going to the tavern right? Yes I mean, you know him right? Yes Is the Captain watching you Yope but not understanding what you were doing? Well,
he didn't understand how I managed to get the sword without him seeing me steal it, even though he was watching me very closely
If so because ge was not physically able to understand it? Because the place was crowded? It's not really to do with how crowded the tavern was.

Did the Captain not see you taking the sword even if he was watching you due to a physical constraint? Not sure what you mean by 'physical constraint,' but I don't think so. Due to the crowd? No Was him able to see everything you were doing? Yes but FA Just something? Did something impeed him to see properly? No and FA Did you go directly to Brad's table Irrel or maybe you went to somewhere else before This is closest in order to distract the Captain's attention? Did you come back to the Captain before going to Brad's table? irrel
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:29 am

So he was watching you but not looking at you at the same time? Or he was looking you and pay attention to what you were doing for all the time? Did he see you bend to take the sword? Did he see you going to Brad's table? Was him able to see your entire figure for all the time? From the moment you went to the moment in which you stole the sword? Did you decide to go in a specific moment? Was the Captain looking at the right person? To someone looking similar to you? Was the Captain distracted for a second?

Did you steal the sword to Brad before and then fake to go and steal it again? Did you steal the sword when he was paying attention to what you were doing?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Earnest wrote:So he was watching you but not looking at you at the same time? Or he was looking you and pay attention to what you were doing for all the time? Did he see you bend to take the sword? Did he see you going to Brad's table? Was him able to see your entire figure for all the time? From the moment you went to the moment in which you stole the sword? Did you decide to go in a specific moment? Was the Captain looking at the right person? To someone looking similar to you? Was the Captain distracted for a second?

Did you steal the sword to Brad before and then fake to go and steal it again? YES, exactly! Did you steal the sword when he was paying attention to what you were doing?

You've got 95% of this Earnest, and the rest is icing :-D
Well done

**************** $POILER**************************

I plundered the cutlass on the first night ashore, when all the scallywags in the tavern was drunk, though I stayed sober. I stashed it in me trousers and took it back to the ship, where I hid it in me cot. Tonight, I walked around the tavern fer a while, then scuttled the cutlass from inside me trousers and gave it to the Captain. I did drink that night, but only once the Captain started buyin!
invisiblemimsy

Re: [invisiblemimsy] Avast Me Hearties! [SCUTTLED]

Postby Earnest » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:17 am

Thanks! Nice puzzle as always!
Earnest

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles