[IrishElk] Moon

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[IrishElk] Moon

Postby irishelk » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:06 pm

Recently, I have noticed several of my childless friends doing something that, previously, I had only ever observed a parent do. What and why?
Last edited by irishelk on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk] Moon

Postby Earnest » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Is technology relevant? Previously = years ago? Days ago? Decades ago? Chikdless friends = mostly women? Men? Relevant? Relevant the profession of the friends? Doctors?

Did they do sonething that a parent nowadays would not do? If so because there is no need? Because there is someone else to do it?
Are we talking of sonething that previously was made to child that are 0-4 years old? 4-10? 10-13? Is it something related to the child? I mean done for the child to be safer? To eat? For the health of the child? Or is it done for a parent when he/she has got children? Did previously the parent do that thing in oresence of the child? To the child directly?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:33 pm

Is this something to do with safety? Something that is more of a problem these days than it was in the past? Something that is now perceived as an issue whereas it wasn’t known about or thought about in the past? Have they been doing this for weeks, months, years? Have you been noticing them doing this for weeks, months?
invisiblemimsy

Postby irishelk » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:02 am

Earnest

Is technology relevant? Yes indeed. Previously = years ago? Say a couple years ago. Days ago? Decades ago? Chikdless friends = mostly women? Men? Relevant? Irr. Relevant the profession of the friends? No. Doctors?

Did they do something that a parent nowadays would not do? No. If so because there is no need? Because there is someone else to do it?
Are we talking of something that previously was made to child that are 0-4 years old? Yes. 4-10? Probably 6-7 at most. 10-13? Is it something related to the child? I'll say noish. I mean done for the child to be safer? To eat? For the health of the child? No to all. Or is it done for a parent when he/she has got children? For the benefit of the parent, yes. Did previously the parent do that thing in presence of the child? Yes, and still does. To the child directly? No.

invisiblemimsy

Is this something to do with safety? No. Something that is more of a problem these days than it was in the past? Yesish. Something that is now perceived as an issue whereas it wasn’t known about or thought about in the past? Yes. Have they been doing this for weeks, months, years? My friends? a year or so. Have you been noticing them doing this for weeks, months? Ditto.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:20 am

Technology = cell phones? Pc? Tvs? Cars? Radio?Electronic cigarettes? Internet? Toys? Something that is done in order the child to be quiet? To let the parent sleep? To let the parent to be free? Is it done mostly by couples with children? Or by a single parent?
Is it something doing mostly in houses? Outside?

Benefit for the parent = benefit in a particular situation? While driving? While on holiday? While being outside? Benefit for non parents = music?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:11 pm

Does this have anything to do with surveillance? Eg. security cameras, tracking or being tracked, privacy? Something location based? Do you do this thing also? Is the cause actually a problem or not? Could it become one? Same question for their behaviour.
Does doing this reassure the parent, non-parent? About the child, the non-parents, or others?
Is it PERCEIVED as more of a problem than it was in the past? Is it in fact a problem?
Photography, Facebook? Food, drink, allergies? A spare pair of knickers in case your friends wee themselves?
invisiblemimsy

Postby irishelk » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:19 pm

Earnest

Technology = None of these exactly, but... cell phones? This could be involved, Pc? Or this. Tvs? Cars? Radio?Electronic cigarettes? Internet? This is involved. Toys?
Something that is done in order the child to be quiet? To let the parent sleep? To let the parent to be free? These are possible, but not necessarily. Is it done mostly by couples with children? Or by a single parent? Either.
Is it something doing mostly in houses? Outside? Either.

Benefit for the parent = benefit in a particular situation? In a sense. While driving? While on holiday? While being outside? It can be done in these circumstances, or others.
Benefit for non parents = music? No, but I'm interested what you were thinking of.

invisiblemimsy

Does this have anything to do with surveillance? Debatable, but I'll say yes. Eg. security cameras, tracking or being tracked, privacy? Something similar. Something location based? Not relevantly. Do you do this thing also? I have before, but not habitually. Is the cause actually a problem or not? A very minor one. Could it become one? Unlikely to be a serious problem.
Same question for their behaviour. As in, is the action they're doing a problem? No.
Does doing this reassure the parent, non-parent? About the child, the non-parents, or others? No to all.
Is it PERCEIVED as more of a problem than it was in the past? For non-parents, yes. Is it in fact a problem? A minor one.

Photography, Facebook? Not directly related. Food, drink, allergies? No. A spare pair of knickers in case your friends wee themselves? :lol: :lol: :lol: No.
Last edited by irishelk on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishelk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:25 pm

Going to the bathroom together? Certain websites relevant? Holding hands? Sharing a bed or something else?
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:44 pm

Cookies? Parental control which avoids something to happen/appear/pop up? So internet is involved but not cell phones nor pcs right? Is it something connected to wi-fi? Internet connection?

(Ok...at first I was thinking about something like faking to have a child in order to have discounts on Netflix or subscriptions to websites...and the music fact is sone kind of headphones or sonething spotify related xD)
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:25 pm

EDIT ABOVE: I think I was being too narrow when I said no to all the electronic devices. The relevant technology is not a PC or phone, but it can certainly involve them.

invisiblemimsy

Going to the bathroom together? No. Certain websites relevant? No. Holding hands? No. Sharing a bed or something else? No.

Earnest

Cookies? Parental control which avoids something to happen/appear/pop up? No to these. So internet is involved but not cell phones nor pcs right? See above; either could be involved. Is it something connected to wi-fi? Internet connection? Yes, either.

(Ok...at first I was thinking about something like faking to have a child in order to have discounts on Netflix or subscriptions to websites...and the music fact is sone kind of headphones or sonething spotify related xD) Ah, I see. Good thought, but no.
irishelk

Postby JenBurdoo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:29 pm

Anything to do with pets?
JenBurdoo

Postby irishelk » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:34 pm

JenBurdoo

Anything to do with pets? Not really, but the something is sometimes done by parents of pets as well as parents of human children. =)
irishelk

Postby Balin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Are photos relevant?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Internet = downloading? See certain images? Is it done by childless persons now in order to obtain an advantage in terms of speed of the connection? Block certain internet pages? Improve the capability of the phone to connect to the internet? Improve the speed of connection? Censored images relevant? Censoring faces/tags/deactivate sonething/turn on or off sonething? Is the technology involved an hardware bigger than a phone? Than a pc? A usb pen driver? Is it something related with thieves?(e.g. not to specify if you are outside your house...) Modem relevant? Cables? Wi-fi radioactive waves? Sounds involved? Lights? Touch screen? (E.g. passwords?..)
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Balin

Are photos relevant? No.

Earnest

Internet = downloading? See certain images? These aren't relevant.
Is it done by childless persons now in order to obtain an advantage in terms of speed of the connection? Block certain internet pages? Improve the capability of the phone to connect to the internet? Improve the speed of connection? Censored images relevant? No to these.
Censoring faces/tags/deactivate sonething/turn on or off sonething? Yope to deactivating/turning off something.
Is the technology involved an hardware bigger than a phone? Than a pc? A usb pen driver? It can be in a phone, or a PC, or other hardware that is typically between those two in size.
Is it something related with thieves?(e.g. not to specify if you are outside your house...) No, good idea.

Modem relevant? Cables? Wi-fi radioactive waves? Sounds involved? YES. Lights? Touch screen? (E.g. passwords?..) The rest might be involved in the technology but are not relevant to the puzzle.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:38 pm

Is the analogy among "losten music at a too high volume" and "not disturbing with a too high volume" involved? Sounds = music? Sounds of the keybord and in general of the device? Vibration?(think is not but sounded cool) white noises? Are pop ups relevant? Deactivating shuffle/random play relevant?

As far as I've understood if the something is turned off then no sound is produced right? Or is the contrary (if the something is turned off the sound is produced)? Internet and sounds are important...so youtube relevant? Advertisements on youtbe? Shuffle? General settings of a website? Of an app? Of internet?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Earnest

Is the analogy among "listen music at a too high volume" and "not disturbing with a too high volume" involved? No. Sounds = music? No. Sounds of the keybord and in general of the device? Vibration?(think is not but sounded cool) white noises? Are pop ups relevant? Deactivating shuffle/random play relevant? No to rest.

As far as I've understood if the something is turned off then no sound is produced right? Irr. Or is the contrary (if the something is turned off the sound is produced)? No/irr. Internet and sounds are important...so youtube relevant? Advertisements on youtbe? Shuffle? General settings of a website? No to these. Of an app? Settings are relevant--usually this technology is not considered an "app," but it could be app-based. Of internet? It does involve one's "internet settings" in a sense.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:54 am

Is "Siri" involved? Voice recognition? (E.g. fear that children hear some bad word and reproduce it...?)
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:33 am

Earnest

Is "Siri" involved? Yes! Voice recognition? Yes! (E.g. fear that children hear some bad word and reproduce it...?) Not this, but you're very close.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Ok...so is...Siri saying bad words? Bad words said by chance and searched by Siri?...don't know...actually I do not use voice recognition...maybe for the same reason of your friends xD

Is activation of Siri automatic? Should be activated by the child?
Earnest

Postby Enjay » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:18 pm

I'm jumping in so apologies if this has been asked - is spelling out a word so the child/Siri doesn't recognise it relevant? Are they trying to say something without Siri interpreting it as a command? Are they trying to say the word "Siri" without activating the feature?
Enjay

Postby irishelk » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:26 pm

Earnest

Ok...so is...Siri saying bad words? Bad words said by chance and searched by Siri?...don't know...actually I do not use voice recognition...maybe for the same reason of your friends xD It would make more sense if they just turned it off... :lol:

Is activation of Siri automatic? Should be activated by the child?

Enjay

I'm jumping in so apologies if this has been asked - Jump on in! is spelling out a word so the child/Siri doesn't recognise it relevant? Yes. Are they trying to say something without Siri interpreting it as a command? Yes! Are they trying to say the word "Siri" without activating the feature? Sometimes!

*********************************SPOILER

The thing is spelling out certain words so that your kid, and now your Siri/Alexa/Cortana/AI device, does not know what you are saying.

One that especially tickled me is a friend who never says "play" in his living room anymore, but must say "Do you want to go to that new P-L-A-Y?" for fear that Alexa will start
playing some random music or movie. I have to spell the same word at home so my dog doesn't think he's going outside.

I can't wait for the day that Siri, as I once did in my youth, spits out, "Um, I'm five years old and very smart, I know how to spell, okay?"
irishelk

Re: [IrishElk] Moon {HEY CORTANA, SPOIL PUZZLE}

Postby Solong » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:07 pm

Clever premise, and good puzzle!
Solong

Re: [IrishElk] Moon {HEY CORTANA, SPOIL PUZZLE}

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:38 pm

Great concept. Too late to the party but I enjoyed seeing the ending unfold.
WiZ

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles