[WiZ] I can haz ise kream?

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] I can haz ise kream?

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:31 pm

A man sees three flavours of ice cream, and knows that he and his countrymen are doomed. Why?

Caveat Earlispoilor
Last edited by WiZ on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] I can haz ise kream?

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:47 pm

are the three flavours normal flavours of ice cream?
or are they more exotic?
are they flavours no one in their right mind would consume? Soylent Green?
is it ice cream for pets? is it for kittehs? cheezburgur flavor?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:48 pm

Kittehs relevant? LOLCAT language? Caturday, cheezburgers ceiling cat, basement cat etc?

Vanilla, chocolate and strawberry relevant? Other combinations?

Ice creams in a cone, in a pudding (eg knickerbocker glory), on the side of a plate of other pudding, in a supermarket?
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:50 pm

are the three flavours normal flavours of ice cream? yes
or are they more exotic? no
are they flavours no one in their right mind would consume? no Soylent Green? no
is it ice cream for pets? no is it for kittehs? no cheezburgur flavor? no, alas
WiZ

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:54 pm

just thought I would check, given the title...
do the relevant flavours include:
*inserts ltpf list of original 31 flavors of ice cream place beginning with B-R*

Banana Nut Fudge
Black Walnut
Burgundy Cherry
Butterscotch Ribbon
Cherry Macaroon
Chocolate
Chocolate Almond
Chocolate Chip
Chocolate Fudge
Chocolate Mint
Chocolate Ribbon
Coffee
Coffee Candy
Date Nut
Egg Nog
French Vanilla
Green Mint Stick
Lemon Crisp
Lemon Custard
Lemon Sherbet
Maple Nut
Orange Sherbet
Peach
Peppermint Fudge Ribbon
Peppermint Stick
Pineapple Sherbet
Raspberry Sherbet
Rocky Road
Strawberry
Vanilla
Vanilla Burnt Almond

any of these?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:59 pm

InvisibleMimsy

Kittehs relevant? LOLCAT language? Caturday, cheezburgers ceiling cat, basement cat etc? No to all

Vanilla, chocolate and strawberry relevant? These are the three combinations, as a matter of fact. It's not strictly relevant, though. Other combinations? no

Ice creams in a cone probably not, in a pudding (eg knickerbocker glory), on the side of a plate of other pudding, no - this ice cream is not in conjunction with another dessert in a supermarket? no

Kaylee

do the relevant flavours include: *snip*

IM has established the three flavours above
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:04 pm

Are the ice creams served together? Is someone eating them? Are they available for purchase? Is neapolitan ice cream relevant?

Is this a war situation? Invasion? Are the man and his countrymen doomed in a more lighthearted way?
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Are the ice creams served together? no Is someone eating them? Not at the time our protagonist makes his observation Are they available for purchase? not for purchase, no Is neapolitan ice cream relevant? no

Is this a war situation? yes Invasion? no Are the man and his countrymen doomed in a more lighthearted way? no
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:28 pm

Is the man a soldier? A civilian? Are they doomed because their country has lost the war? Is going to lose? Does his countrymen refer to everyone from his country? A specific group of his countrymen? Should we find out what country they are from? Is the man in his own country when he sees the ice cream? Does he see the ice cream itself? Or a reference to the flavours? On a menu? An advert?

WW1? WW2?
Enjay

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:35 pm

Are they available freely, e.g. given to you? Choice of the 3 relevant? Coupons/rationing? Was there a lack of icecream, and now there is some, and that means something? Did these flavours exist before the war? WW1, WWII, other war? Does it matter which country this takes place in? [List of countries]? Does the appearance of the icecream mean that his country has been invaded? Conquered?
invisiblemimsy

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:41 pm

is Naples relevant? (I know you said Neapolitan ice cream wasn't, but it could have been a clue)
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Enjay

Is the man a soldier? yes A civilian? no Are they doomed because their country has lost the war? no Is going to lose? yes, in all likelihood Does his countrymen refer to everyone from his country? yes A specific group of his countrymen? no Should we find out what country they are from? The context would help Is the man in his own country when he sees the ice cream? no, FA lurking Does he see the ice cream itself? yesish Or a reference to the flavours? no On a menu? An advert? no to these

WW1? WW2? this

InvisibleMimsy

Are they available freely, e.g. given to you? yes, they are given freely Choice of the 3 relevant? no Coupons/rationing? Rationing is relevant Was there a lack of icecream, and now there is some, and that means something? no Did these flavours exist before the war? yes WW1, WWII this, other war? Does it matter which country this takes place in? no, FA lurking [List of countries]? Does the appearance of the icecream mean that his country has been invaded? Conquered? no to both

Kaylee

is Naples relevant? no (I know you said Neapolitan ice cream wasn't, but it could have been a clue) Enjay made the suggestion, I just negated it :)
WiZ

Postby LemonCurry » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:35 am

Wait, country irrelevant in WW2? Is this taking place in the actual war? Or a game? Is any actual ice-cream involved at all?
LemonCurry

Postby GalFisk » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:23 am

Is he a prisoner? Is the ice cream made by the enemy? Does it imply that the enemy controls certain regions of the world? That they have vast resources? That they have certain technology? Does it imply that their own country or its allies have lost something? Are unable to do something?
GalFisk

Postby wwhere » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:36 am

Is the man German? Polish? Italian? French? British? Japanese? from the USA? From some other European country? From some other Asian country? From some other American country? From some African country?
Is he from an Axis country? from an Allied country?
Is he a prisoner?
wwhere

Postby WiZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:02 am

LemonCurry

Wait, country irrelevant in WW2? This is a broader brush than the one I have used - I stand by my answers to the previous questions as posed Is this taking place in the actual war? yes Or a game? no Is any actual ice-cream involved at all? yes

GalFisk

Is he a prisoner? no Is the ice cream made by the enemy? yes Does it imply that the enemy controls certain regions of the world? no That they have vast resources? yes, exploreThat they have certain technology? no Does it imply that their own country or its allies have lost something? no(t yet) Are unable to do something? no

Wwhere

Wwelcome back.

Is the man German? Polish? Italian? French? British? Japanese? this; no to rest from the USA? From some other European country? From some other Asian country? From some other American country? From some African country?
Is he from an Axis country? yes from an Allied country? no
Is he a prisoner? no
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:14 am

Was it actual icecream or just a picture, e.g. advert? Was it American icecream? Choc+strawb+vanilla = "neapolitan" icecream, relevant? Is he German?
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:40 am

Was it actual icecream yes or just a picture, e.g. advert? no Was it American icecream? Yes Choc+strawb+vanilla = "neapolitan" icecream, relevant? no Is he German? no
WiZ

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:56 am

ok, we have the flavo(u)rs of ice cream, so should we be focusing on the brand? Breyers? Dreyers? Ben & Jerry's? Haagen-Dazs? Baskin Robbins? Dairy Queen?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby WiZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:12 am

ok, we have the flavo(u)rs of ice cream, so should we be focusing on the brand? no :) Breyers? Dreyers? Ben & Jerry's? Haagen-Dazs? Baskin Robbins? Dairy Queen?
WiZ

Postby wwhere » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:15 am

Thanks. I never left... was just lurking, waiting for my opportunity...

About the location where he sees the ice cream, is he:
...in Japan (or Japan-controlled territory?
...in the USA (or USA-controlled territory)?
...in the ocean (boat, island, submarine)?
...in the air (plane)?

the ice cream is being served as dessert to a Japanese? to an American?
wwhere

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 am

Is it something like, he thinks “If the Allies can get ice cream then they can do pretty much anything...” because they must have unlimited resources, or enough manpower to waste time on trifles (sorry!)
invisiblemimsy

Postby Balin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Relevant how the ice cream got to its location? Was it dropped in by air?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Wwhere

Thanks. I never left... was just lurking, waiting for my opportunity... This is quite encouraging to read, actually.

About the location where he sees the ice cream, is he:
...in Japan (or Japan-controlled territory?
...in the USA (or USA-controlled territory)?
...in the ocean yes (boat yes, island, submarine)?
...in the air (plane)?

no to rest

the ice cream is being served as dessert to a Japanese? no to an American? yes

InvisibleMimsy

Is it something like, he thinks “If the Allies can get ice cream then they can do pretty much anything...” because they must have unlimited resources, or enough manpower to waste time on trifles (sorry!) Yes!

Balin

Relevant how the ice cream got to its location? Yes Was it dropped in by air? no

IM has the bones of the thing, but Wwhere and Balin have asked some good questions about context that might be interesting to explore. How did this Japanese soldier find ice-cream in the ocean? And how did it get there?
WiZ

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:49 pm

so...wait...A Japanese soldier found ice cream in the ocean? But it was being served as dessert to an American at the time? The American was in the ocean, eating ice cream, and it was served to him by someone else, also presumably in the ocean? We have three people in the ocean here (well, the one Japanese guy at least is in a boat).

Is the ice cream in a boat too, with the one American and the serving person?

*baffled kaylee kitteh is baffled*
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby WiZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:58 pm

so...wait...A Japanese soldier found ice cream in the ocean? yes (well, I should say, he found it while he was on a boat in the ocean)But it was being served as dessert to an American at the time? yes The American was in the ocean, eating ice cream, and it was served to him by someone else, also presumably in the ocean? yes, see above for how to interpret 'in the ocean' We have three people in the ocean here (well, the one Japanese guy at least is in a boat). At least

Is the ice cream in a boat too, yes with the one American and the serving person? yes

*baffled kaylee kitteh is baffled*

So, a Japanese soldier on a boat sees a boat containing american soldiers being served ice-cream (which is also contained in the boat). But, he knows, presumably at some distance, that there are three flavours. And how does he know that the Americans have devoted great resources to ice-cream?
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:10 pm

Because chocolate and fruit (i.e. strawbs) is rationed? If so, they would have had great difficulty obtaining it and it would've cost them a helluva lot of dollar. Perhaps they got it/the ingredients from another country? Or stole them from the enemy?
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Because chocolate and fruit (i.e. strawbs) is rationed? If so, they would have had great difficulty obtaining it and it would've cost them a helluva lot of dollar. This is true, and even seeing a single serving would have proven disconcerting. But he was quite confident that they were devoting resources to it.

Perhaps they got it/the ingredients from another country? Or stole them from the enemy? What the soldier saw basically gave him certainty that the Americans had (significant) capacity to generate and serve their own ice-cream.
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:20 pm

Was the ship filled with hundreds or even thousands of troops all eating icecream? Was the boat in the arctic at the time?
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:24 pm

Was the ship filled with hundreds or even thousands of troops all eating icecream? No, the numbers of troops are not relevant Was the boat in the arctic at the time? no
WiZ

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:27 pm

was the boat in the Antarctic then? Was it passing near the bottom of South America? or Africa? near Madagascar? :P Were there penguins? Did they get the ice cream from the penguins??? *suspicious* (no but really, I love penguins. :D
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby WiZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:31 pm

was the boat in the Antarctic then? no, the location (outside of being in the middle of an ocean) is irrelevant Was it passing near the bottom of South America? or Africa? near Madagascar? :P n/a to all Were there penguins? Did they get the ice cream from the penguins??? *suspicious* (no but really, I love penguins. :D

Antarctic penguins have an official political stance of neutrality. Penguins found in New Zealand are allied to the west and have the option of enlisting in any non-Maori battalion.
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:48 pm

Were they freezing the icecream with liquid nitrogen? With ice? Did he see these? Were they growing strawberries on the deck? Did he see the Captain on the bridge eating icecream? Did they have cows on the ship?
invisiblemimsy

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:59 pm

look at all the penguins! they're after the ice cream, I just know it! http://www.penguins.cl/penguins-region.htm *studies map* but, but...they forgot the penguins on Madagascar :(
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby WiZ » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:02 am

Were they freezing the icecream with liquid nitrogen? With ice? Did he see these? Were they growing strawberries on the deck? Did he see the Captain on the bridge eating icecream? Did they have cows on the ship?

You've got the basic idea, which was that the ice-cream infrastructure was clearly visible.

***** SPOILER *****

In World War II, the U.S. Army commissioned fleets of concreting ships, for building/repairing air-bases, oil platforms and the like. However, they found themselves with a surplus, so some of these ships were repurposed - the large mixers being perfect for creating different types of ice-cream for the troops.

One such ship was seen by a Japanese General, whose army had a shortage of even the most basic supplies. In seeing that the American army had such resources that they could devote entire ships to serving multiple kinds of ice-cream, he reasoned that they had a critical advantage, and their victory was all but assured.

Congratulations, InvisibleMimsy, on the solution, and thank you everyone for playing!
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] I can haz ise kream? [SPOILED IN TRIPLICATE]

Postby invisiblemimsy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:13 am

Thanks Wiz, brilliant puzzle! It's 1am here and I'm going to dream of icecream.
invisiblemimsy

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles