{KayleeArafinwiel} Feeling Blue

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

{KayleeArafinwiel} Feeling Blue

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:08 pm

The cure was the most absurd idea possible...yet it worked, all the same.

An old one of mine, but there's a lot of people here who I don't think have seen it before. Please don't google it.
Last edited by KayleeArafinwiel on Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
KayleeArafinwiel

Re: {KayleeArafinwiel} Feeling Blue (Rerun)

Postby Zanreo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Cure for an illness? To fix something? Something eaten/drank?

Would to be expected not to work? To make it worse?

Did it work instantly?
Zanreo

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:22 pm

Cure for an illness? condition may be a better termTo fix something? yesSomething eaten/drank? the initial treatment, no, but afterwards it was orally ingested

Would to be expected not to work? not necessarily, but...To make it worse? I'm unsure

Did it work instantly? yes
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Zanreo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Afterwards ingested... as food? Pill? Drink? Powder? Was it something/made from something you're usually not supposed to eat?
Zanreo

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:22 pm

Afterwards ingested... as food? Pill? thisDrink? Powder? Was it something/made from something you're usually not supposed to eat? hmm...well, it's a medication, but I wouldn't advise taking it if you don't have to.
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:29 pm

When was this - present day? [list of centuries]?
Was it used for adults, children, animals, other?
Initially, was it applied to the skin? the affected part of the body? another body part? the body generally? somewhere else?
Initially, did the treatment itself cause pain? Later?
Placebo effect relevant?
Pregnancy/childbirth? Dying process?
Was this condition a lack of something, a loss, an insufficiency, too much of something, something being there which shouldn't be?
Just to be sure, this condition is some kind of malady, health problem etc? We're not talking about fixing a car or a lack of housing or something?
invisiblemimsy

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:37 pm

When was this - present day? [list of centuries]? the problem originated in the 18th century, it was resolved in the 20th century
Was it used for adults, children, animals, other? Humans of varying ages
Initially, was it applied to the skin? the affected part of the body? another body part? the body generally? somewhere else? injected into the bloodstream
Initially, did the treatment itself cause pain? no doubt the prick of the needle caused initial discomfort.Later?there may have been side effects later, but let's call the potential side effects irrelevant
Placebo effect relevant? no
Pregnancy/childbirth? Dying process? neither in particular, although it was the birth of a child that got the attention of the doctor who treated them
Was this condition a lack of something yes, a loss, an insufficiency, too much of something and this, something being there which shouldn't be? yes, or something was there because something else was not, to make it clear as mud
Just to be sure, this condition is some kind of malady, health problem etc? yesWe're not talking about fixing a car or a lack of housing or something? nothing like this
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby Balin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Good to see you back, Kaylee!
(I remember this one, so I'll stay quiet.)
Balin

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:37 pm

Was it an inoculation against a disease? A cure? An attempted cure or treatment? A placebo? Was it effective?
invisiblemimsy

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Balin wrote:Good to see you back, Kaylee!
(I remember this one, so I'll stay quiet.)

Missed you, Balin! (I wish you didn't have to, but it seems nearly solved, anyway...)

Was it an inoculation against a disease? no A cure? not quite An attempted cure or treatment? an effective treatment, yes A placebo? Was it effective? very
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Was it a metallic solution, like lead, silver, mercury, arsenic? Is it something blue, or which turns the skin blue? Something which works in childbirth, and has other uses? Does it help pain, stop bleeding, hasten birth?
invisiblemimsy

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:37 pm

Was it a metallic solution, like lead, silver, mercury, arsenic? it's not any of those, I'm unsure whether it's metallicIs it something blue, or which turns the skin blue it's a blue dye? Something which works in childbirth, and has other uses? it isn't used to aid childbirth Does it help pain, stop bleeding, hasten birth? none of these

I feel like I introduced a FA (false assumption) somewhere...*tired kaylee tries to work out how to fix*
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby invisiblemimsy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Is it relevant to childbirth in any way? The baby? The mother? Something to stop bleeding? Something to stop infection? Syphilis or gonorrhoea? Malaria, typhoid, cholera? Pain relief?
When you say it was resolved in the 20th century, do u mean the problem itself went away? Or there was a better treatment for it?
invisiblemimsy

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Is it relevant to childbirth in any way? the condition? No.The baby? Only in that a baby being born with the condition attracted the attention of the man who solved the issue - most of his patients were adults. The mother? NoSomething to stop bleeding? No, though blood is relevant.Something to stop infection? Syphilis or gonorrhoea? Malaria, typhoid, cholera? Pain relief? No to the rest of these
When you say it was resolved in the 20th century, do u mean the problem itself went away? Or there was a better treatment for it? there was finally a treatment for it.
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Recap/Refocus:

In the 20th century, the birth of a child with a very strange condition led to a doctor discovering a treatment that seemed ridiculous on the surface - a blue dye. The condition had been endemic to a certain area nearby since the 1800s, but when the locals helped the doctor discover his treatment and accepted it, the condition seemed to disappear.

What was the condition, how was the blue dye ironically helpful, and where did this true story take place?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby GalFisk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Did the dye help because it dyed something? Because of it's chemical properties? Was it a particularly strong dye? Was it used to trace how something moved or dispersed? Was it used to dye part of a human? Animal? Microscopic thing? Did it make aomething visible? Color perception relevant?
GalFisk

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Did the dye help because it dyed something? noBecause of it's chemical properties? thisWas it a particularly strong dye?irr Was it used to trace how something moved or dispersed? no Was it used to dye part of a human? well, it was used for humans, but not to dye themAnimal? Microscopic thing? no to these Did it make something visible? dyod 'something'Color perception relevant? elaborate, please?
KayleeArafinwiel

Re: {KayleeArafinwiel} Feeling Blue (Rerun) NOT SOLVED

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:35 pm

Oh, I think I know what this is! The baby is born blue and the blue dye actually turns the baby pink, is that it? That's why I asked about syphilis and malaria because they were treated with the same dye. I think it's a genetic thing.
invisiblemimsy

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:14 am

Oh, I think I know what this is! The baby is born blue and the blue dye actually turns the baby pink, is that it? well, not just the babyThat's why I asked about syphilis and malaria because they were treated with the same dye.are they? wow! I think it's a genetic thing. yes, it is. Do you know what it's called?
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:25 am

No idea what it’s called without googling. I think the blood is blue not just the skin isn’t it?
invisiblemimsy

Re: {KayleeArafinwiel} Feeling Blue (Rerun) SOLVED

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:29 am

***SPOILER***

The blue people, the "Blue Fugates", had the condition methemoglobinemia, a hereditary condition which was introduced into the area by Martin Fugate in the 1800s. His chosen bride, Elizabeth Smith, happened to have the gene for it as well (though she was only a carrier) and between them, and subsequent intermarriage of their descendants with only three or four other local families, the inbreeding brought out a number of "blue people". The inbreeding slowly stopped as modern transportation made inroads into the area, but Martin's great-great-great great grandson, Benjy Stacy, was the first to be born with the condition in a hospital, bluer than Violet Beauregarde. He attracted the attention of the doctors, and one examined Benjy's blue relatives, isolating the lack of the enzyme diaphorase as the cause of the blueness.

Point of interest: I'm descended from Matilda Fugate, who was related closely to the Blue Fugates but didn't appear to be one herself. I haven't got a speck of blue anywhere it shouldn't be - though my eyes are unusually pale. My eye doctor commented that any paler, and I ought to be albino. At least I'm not blue!

Thanks mimsy for all the hard work, you're not invisible to me :D *offers cheezburger and ice cream as prize for the win*

http://www.indiana.edu/~oso/lessons/Blues/TheBlues.htm
KayleeArafinwiel

Re: {KayleeArafinwiel} Feeling Blue (Rerun) SOLVED

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Great puzzle. Thanks for the virtual food!
invisiblemimsy

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles