[Peter365] Finest Worksong

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Peter365] Finest Worksong

Postby peter365 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi there Lords of all Things Lateral, a silly offering to offset a bad case of puzzlers block.

At work recently we've been discussing the boss a lot more than we usually would. Why is that?

peter365

Re: [Peter365] Finest Worksong

Postby Balin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:50 pm

"the boss": the company higher-up? Another company higher-up? Someone in a high position elsewhere? In a country? Bruce Springsteen?
"we" = you & co-workers?
Are you discussing this as part of your work?
Is the boss's name relevant?
Balin

Postby WiZ » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:40 pm

Do you discuss a relevant aspect of the boss? Their performance? Personality? Hobbies? Relationships? Actions? Personal life? Some demographic aspect?
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:56 am

Something the boss has been up to recently? That he wasn’t doing before?
invisiblemimsy

Postby peter365 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:22 am

Balin

"the boss": the company higher-up? Another company higher-up? Someone in a high position elsewhere? In a country? Bruce Springsteen? Yes!! You saw through this one pretty quickly
"we" = you & co-workers? Yes
Are you discussing this as part of your work? Yes
Is the boss's name relevant? Only that we've now established that the boss is Bruce Sprintsteen
peter365

Postby peter365 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:23 am

WiZ

Do you discuss a relevant aspect of the boss? Yes (answered for Bruce Sprinsteen) Their performance? Personality? Hobbies? Relationships? Actions? Personal life? Some demographic aspect? No to rest
peter365

Postby peter365 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:23 am

Invisiblemimsy

Something the boss has been up to recently? That he wasn’t doing before? No to both
peter365

Postby irishelk » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:34 pm

Is his Broadway show relevant? A particular song of his? Maybe some of his lyrics seem particularly relevant?

Does someone in the office look like him? Act like him? Is someone in the office singing? Springsteen songs?
irishelk

Postby peter365 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:38 pm

IrishElk

Is his Broadway show relevant? No A particular song of his? Yes Maybe some of his lyrics seem particularly relevant? No just a song title although it appears as a lyric in the song i guess

Does someone in the office look like him? Act like him? Is someone in the office singing? Springsteen songs? No to all
peter365

Postby Balin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Are you discussing this verbally? Through another form of communication? Email? Phone? Text?
Is your occupation relevant? The name of your place of business?

Best concert I've ever seen was Springsteen, and I only went because my dad got invited through work and they had an extra ticket.
Balin

Postby WiZ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:24 pm

Trying to do this without guessing at the song title.

Is some aspect of your clientele relevant? Perhaps a number of them have been born in the USA, or on the streets of Philadelphia?
Is some aspect of your daily operations relevant? Has there been a recent IT update involving the need to compile code? And your tech boffin is so adept at the job, it's like he was born to run?
Or maybe there's something involving your workplace culture outside of Business-as-usual, such as a charity fun run or monthly fitness challenge?

I appreciate the puzzle title, too - a good song that can sometimes get overlooked due to sharing an album with The One I Love and The End Of The World As We Know It.
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:28 am

Balin

Are you discussing this verbally? Through another form of communication? Email? Phone? Yes to all of these Text? But no to this
Is your occupation relevant? Yes , banking The name of your place of business? No

Best concert I've ever seen was Springsteen, and I only went because my dad got invited through work and they had an extra ticket. I've seen Bruce live 3 times, fantastic stadium performer
peter365

Postby peter365 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:49 am

[ b] WiZ [/b]

Trying to do this without guessing at the song title. Thank you but you needn't have worried

Is some aspect of your clientele relevant? Indeedy do Perhaps a number of them have been born in the USA, Direct Hit or on the streets of Philadelphia?
Is some aspect of your daily operations relevant? Yes Has there been a recent IT update involving the need to compile code? And your tech boffin is so adept at the job, it's like he was born to run? No but i'm realising that there's endless pun material here
Or maybe there's something involving your workplace culture outside of Business-as-usual, such as a charity fun run or monthly fitness challenge? No

I appreciate the puzzle title, too - a good song that can sometimes get overlooked due to sharing an album with The One I Love and The End Of The World As We Know It. Couldn't agree more. You could certainly add Disturbance at the Heron House to an underrated Document song list.

*****************SPOILER*********************

I was hoping this would be take a while but WiZ is Tougher than the Rest and has left this puzzle feeling like a dog that's been beat too much.

To comply with tax regulations, when opening an account for anybody who was born in the USA we are required to capture specific information such as Social Security Numbers etc. We have a watch list in place for instances where this hasn't been carried out. At our weekly status meeting the first item on the agenda is a discussion on these born in the USA customers or as I have christened them 'The Springsteens'.

Thanks for playing .
peter365

Re: [Peter365] Finest Worksong (Born Down in a Dead Man's To

Postby irishelk » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:36 pm

I accept the title with honor (not honour, of course).
irishelk

Re: [Peter365] Finest Worksong (Born Down in a Dead Man's To

Postby Balin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Clever. Didn't expect to hit the Springsteen clue so soon but I guess this puzzle was destined for fairly brief Glory Days.
Balin

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles