[Zanreo] Charging Go

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Zanreo] Charging Go

Postby Zanreo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:19 am

I accidentally found a different way of charging it... but later, I was happy I never tried this again

(I = me/Zanreo, H/A/F)
Last edited by Zanreo on Mon May 14, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zanreo

Re: [Zanreo] Charging Go

Postby WiZ » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:41 am

By 'charging', do you mean: restoring energy to? Imposing a cost on? Rushing at?

Assuming 'charging' to be 'restoring energy to', is 'it' an electronic device? A car?
WiZ

Postby Zanreo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:02 am

By 'charging', do you mean: restoring energy to? this Imposing a cost on? Rushing at?

Assuming 'charging' to be 'restoring energy to', is 'it' an electronic device? this A car?
Zanreo

Postby biograd » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:03 am

Is it a phone? a tablet? a laptop? a drone?

Did the other way of charging it waste energy? risk damaging the device being charged? risk damaging the device being used to charge it.
biograd

Postby Zanreo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:22 am

Is it a phone? a tablet? a laptop? a drone? none of these

Did the other way of charging it waste energy? risk damaging the device being charged? this risk damaging the device being used to charge it.
Zanreo

Postby Earnest » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:04 am

So to be sure...energy = electric energy? Other type of energies (e.g. solar energy, wind energy, water energy, others?)? ...ops I did not read "electronic device" above...ok anyway I'll ask to be sure....

Is it a printer? A device which is considered mobile?(I mean, an electronic device that need to be constantly connected to a source of energy/power or a device that can be disconnected to work but for a limited amount of time and then need to be charged?)
An electronic device bigger than a phone? Bigger than a laptop? Can it be considered a tool for kitchen? A tool used in a specific room of the house (e.g. phon in the bathroom/hair straightener?...)? A tool in general (glue sticker/drill, a tool used to do sport/training...)?
A camera? Pictures involved? Has the device a display? A monitor? A touch screen?

Is the usual way to charge the electronic device with a plug? If so does the alternative way still involve the plug? Is the alternative way "alternative" because it uses a different source of power? Because it puts the device in a different position? Because it charges the device in different timing (e.g. before than when the energy is completely down...)? Has the device a bactery? Does it signal when the battery is down? Are there more than one way to charge it? (More than one way = more sources of energy? More sources of energy? Others?) Is it necessary to charge all the device or is it possible to charge just a part of it separatedly (e.g. bactery can be extracted and charged separatedly from the device...)?
Earnest

Postby Zanreo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:01 am

So to be sure...energy = electric energy? yes Other type of energies (e.g. solar energy, wind energy, water energy, others?)? no ...ops I did not read "electronic device" above...ok anyway I'll ask to be sure....

Is it a printer? no A device which is considered mobile? yes(I mean, an electronic device that need to be constantly connected to a source of energy/power or a device that can be disconnected to work but for a limited amount of time and then need to be charged?) it can be disconnected and needs to be charged later, yes
An electronic device bigger than a phone? yes Bigger than a laptop? no Can it be considered a tool for kitchen? no A tool used in a specific room of the house (e.g. phon in the bathroom/hair straightener?...)? no A tool in general (glue sticker/drill, a tool used to do sport/training...)? no
A camera? no Pictures involved? it shows pictures, yes Has the device a display? yes A monitor? not the term usually used for this type of device A touch screen? yes

Is the usual way to charge the electronic device with a plug? yes If so does the alternative way still involve the plug? yope Is the alternative way "alternative" because it uses a different source of power?if meant as "different type of energy", no Because it puts the device in a different position?no Because it charges the device in different timing (e.g. before than when the energy is completely down...)? no Has the device a bactery? yes Does it signal when the battery is down? yes Are there more than one way to charge it? technically yesish, but... (More than one way = more sources of energy? no More sources of energy? Others?something else) Is it necessary to charge all the device or is it possible to charge just a part of it separatedly (e.g. bactery can be extracted and charged separatedly from the device...)? yes, you'd most likely need to charge the device as a whole. I've never heard of anyone removing the battery itself for this just to charge it
Zanreo

Postby Earnest » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:48 pm

Is it the screen that shows photographs...don't know the name...but actually is like an electronic fram showing pictures...is it? Is it an iPad? Something else?

If the former (electronic frame) did you try to charge it through another device (e.g. a laptop/others?)? Did you try to charge it with a different plug than the original one? With a different cable? Did the alternative way risk to damage just the device being charge or also the device used as source of energy if any? (See the laptop example) "Damage" = damage the battery? Relevant what is damaged in particular of the device? Did you try to connect the device with another one (e.g. tv to show images at higher resolution/definition?)? Were your original intentions to find out a new way to charge the device? Or you wanted to do something else amd discover that actually the battery was charging? Is the alternative way of charging the device mainly thought to charge the device or for instance to show pictures in a better way?
Earnest

Postby Zanreo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:20 pm

Is it the screen that shows photographs...don't know the name...but actually is like an electronic fram showing pictures...is it? Digital photo frame? No
Is it an iPad? no Something else? yes

If the former (electronic frame) did you try to charge it through another device (e.g. a laptop/others?)? noDid you try to charge it with a different plug than the original one? With a different cable? THIS, explore Did the alternative way risk to damage just the device being charge or also the device used as source of energy if any? (See the laptop example)just the device, I'm pretty sure "Damage" = damage the battery?this is probably part of it, yes Relevant what is damaged in particular of the device? just that the device gets damaged at all Did you try to connect the device with another one (e.g. tv to show images at higher resolution/definition?)? noWere your original intentions to find out a new way to charge the device?no Or you wanted to do something else amd discover that actually the battery was charging?not exactly Is the alternative way of charging the device mainly thought to charge the device or for instance to show pictures in a better way?no
Zanreo

Postby Earnest » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:18 pm

Are the pictures shown by the device picture you have taken? Or generic pictures (e.g. the device is a GPS showing maps?)?

A different cable which could be connected to the device and had a plug? A different cable connected to something else which in turns is connected to a plug? A cable meant to be used on devices? Was there an entry for the cable to be connected to the device (e.g. an usb entry)? Is the device mostly used in cars? Relevant where you foubd the cable?
Earnest

Postby Zanreo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:34 pm

Are the pictures shown by the device picture you have taken? Or generic pictures (e.g. the device is a GPS showing maps?)? not really... I see now "showing pictures" was a bit misleading, I meant it as in it has a display showing images of some kind, said image is usually moving if that's more help

A different cable which could be connected to the device and had a plug?this A different cable connected to something else which in turns is connected to a plug? A cable meant to be used on devices? yes, devices of some kind in general, but...Was there an entry for the cable to be connected to the device (e.g. an usb entry)? yes Is the device mostly used in cars? noRelevant where you foubd the cable? ...i'll say yesish to yope-ish
Zanreo

Postby Earnest » Tue May 01, 2018 6:37 am

Relevant how you realized that charging with the alternative cable was damaging the device? Were there physical evidences? Images were displayed in a strange manner? Was the main function of the device the one of showing images? Relevant which kind of images are displayed? Game of some sort relevant? (E.g. play station/nintendo...)

Is the device "independent"? Part of another device? Part of sonethibg else?
So quick recap...is not a phone nor a tablet or a laptop neither a camera or something similar right? Is it an object mainly neant to entertain? Mainly meant to work? Could be used for both? Is the "alternative cable" used to charge a similar device but with a different "power"? An "older version" of the same device? (E.g. to make me understand clearer...if you have a galaxy s9 and you charge it with the cable and the plug of an s6 or viceversa) Is the alternative cable old? Very new? Is the usual way to charge the device with a cable?

Really cannot figure out what device you are referring...so I'm forced to do stupid questions on its shape...is it mainly round? Is it similar to a phone? Dvds relevant? Tv? Portable version of a bigger device? A digital clock? An iPod? Something to listen music?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Tue May 01, 2018 7:20 am

Did it charge: with another cable than usual? Through another port than usual? Through a port meant for providing power? Did you accidentally connect a power output to another power output? Did you acidentally connect something else to another power output? Did the device siphon power from another device? Did you risk damage because the charging current didn't pass through a charging regulator? Did you accidentally connect the internal battery in parallel with another battery?
GalFisk

Postby Zanreo » Tue May 01, 2018 12:38 pm

Earnest: Relevant how you realized that charging with the alternative cable was damaging the device? Yes Were there physical evidences? Not in my case, but...Images were displayed in a strange manner? not for me, but... Was the main function of the device the one of showing images? And more than that Relevant which kind of images are displayed? yes Game of some sort relevant? (E.g. play station/nintendo...) YES, it's a game console

Is the device "independent"? yes Part of another device? Part of sonethibg else? can be used with something else but also by itself
So quick recap...is not a phone nor a tablet or a laptop neither a camera or something similar right? Is it an object mainly neant to entertain? so this Mainly meant to work? Could be used for both? Is the "alternative cable" used to charge a similar device but with a different "power"? yes for SVV of "similar" An "older version" of the same device? (E.g. to make me understand clearer...if you have a galaxy s9 and you charge it with the cable and the plug of an s6 or viceversa) no Is the alternative cable old? Very new? unknown and irrel Is the usual way to charge the device with a cable? yes

Really cannot figure out what device you are referring...so I'm forced to do stupid questions on its shape...is it mainly round? no Is it similar to a phone? not really Dvds relevant? no Tv?it can also be connected to TV Portable version of a bigger device? no A digital clock? no An iPod? no Something to listen music? no

GalFisk: Did it charge: with another cable than usual? yes Through another port than usual? no Through a port meant for providing power?no, just a regular socket Did you accidentally connect a power output to another power output?no Did you acidentally connect something else to another power output?no Did the device siphon power from another device? no Did you risk damage because the charging current didn't pass through a charging regulator? no, but... Did you accidentally connect the internal battery in parallel with another battery? no
Zanreo

Postby GalFisk » Tue May 01, 2018 2:15 pm

Did you use a charger meant for a different product? For a different type of battery? Did the two cables have identical plugs? Plugs similar enough that the wrong one would fit?
GalFisk

Postby Zanreo » Tue May 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Did you use a charger meant for a different product? Yes For a different type of battery? possibly Did the two cables have identical plugs? Plugs similar enough that the wrong one would fit? Yes, the plug/connector is shaped exactly the same
Zanreo

Postby Earnest » Tue May 01, 2018 6:55 pm

Is it something like play station vs xbox ? Was the cable meant to pcs?
Earnest

Postby Zanreo » Tue May 01, 2018 7:59 pm

Is it something like play station vs xbox ? If you mean using one console's cable for another one, no Was the cable meant to pcs? no
Last edited by Zanreo on Wed May 02, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zanreo

Postby Earnest » Wed May 02, 2018 6:03 am

Is the fact that the device is on charge ("on" charge or "in" charge?) relevantly signaled somehow by the device? relevant how (e.g. image of a battery/a light turning on/time to finish charging process?)? If so, was the signal activated once you plugged the "alternative cable"? Alternative cable = cable of a camera? Of another game related device? Of a printer? Of a phone? A cable you found somewhere but was not your? A cable that someone borrowed to you? A cable very similar to the original one? With the same plug but different power? A cable which was safer (e.g. covered by special plastic for babies?)? Which had a charachteristic not belonging to the original one?

Relevant the reason why you needed an alternative cable and not the original one? Was the original one broken? Did you leave it home? Were you outside and needed an adapter for a certain type of plug but you actually did not have it? Is the original cable broken and not buyable separately from the device so that you would have needed to buy a new device to buy a new cable?

Do we need to figure out which cable you used specifically and how you recognised that potential damages could be made to the device using that cable?
Earnest

Postby Zanreo » Wed May 02, 2018 8:35 am

Is the fact that the device is on charge ("on" charge or "in" charge?) "is charging" relevantly signaled somehow by the device? Yes, it shows a glowing light when charging relevant how (e.g. image of a battery/a light turning on/time to finish charging process?)? shows a glowing light like mentioned, but kinda irrel If so, was the signal activated once you plugged the "alternative cable"? yes, though I didn't notice this right away Alternative cable = cable of a camera? I think some cameras might use this kind Of another game related device? no Of a printer?not sure if many printers use this Of a phone?Was mainly used for this, along with possibly other devices A cable you found somewhere but was not your?yes A cable that someone borrowed to you?not really but OTRT A cable very similar to the original one?yes With the same plug but different power?yes A cable which was safer (e.g. covered by special plastic for babies?)?no Which had a charachteristic not belonging to the original one?yesish

Relevant the reason why you needed FA an alternative cable and not the original one? Was the original one broken? no Did you leave it home? no, however... Were you outside and needed an adapter for a certain type of plug but you actually did not have it? no Is the original cable broken and not buyable separately from the device so that you would have needed to buy a new device to buy a new cable?no

Do we need to figure out which cable you used specifically yes, though "specifically" might be the wrong word here for this kind of cable... consider that a hint and how you recognised that potential damages could be made to the device using that cable? Yes, explore
Zanreo

Postby Earnest » Wed May 02, 2018 9:45 am

Was it a kind of "universal cable" (a sort of cable used for any kind of devices)? Did you just want to try it on your device? Relevant where you found the cable? Was it available for anyone? (E.g. those pubs in which you can actually charge your phone and exploit wi fi...internet pubs are called maybe...) relevant the material of the cable?

Is overheating rlevant?( you recognize the bad quality of the cable/of the charging in this way?) Noises from the device (those sounds that signal the effort that the device is doing)? Others?
Earnest

Postby Zanreo » Wed May 02, 2018 9:53 am

Was it a kind of "universal cable" (a sort of cable used for any kind of devices)?yes Did you just want to try it on your device?didn't INTEND to try it but... Relevant where you found the cable?...no to yope-ish Was it available for anyone? (E.g. those pubs in which you can actually charge your phone and exploit wi fi...internet pubs are called maybe...)no relevant the material of the cable?no

Is overheating rlevant?( you recognize the bad quality of the cable/of the charging in this way?)not what happened to me Noises from the device (those sounds that signal the effort that the device is doing)?no Others? yes
Zanreo

Postby Earnest » Wed May 02, 2018 11:07 am

To be sure...did it damage maybe the entry of the plug of the device? You did not intend = you thought it was the original cable?

Did you notice the "negative" aspects of having charged the device with the alternative cable after you have charged with it? (If so relevant how many timw after? Seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days?) During? Someone told you? Maybe a kind of expert?
Earnest

Postby Zanreo » Wed May 02, 2018 11:09 am

To be sure...did it damage maybe the entry of the plug of the device? No You did not intend = you thought it was the original cable? yes

Did you notice the "negative" aspects of having charged the device with the alternative cable after you have charged with it? (If so relevant how many timw after? Seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days?) During? None of these, my device didn't actually get damaged in any way, but I did still find out in some way that it COULD have caused damage Someone told you? I was told, yes Maybe a kind of expert? Some might have been, but mostly irrel
Zanreo

Postby GalFisk » Wed May 02, 2018 11:26 am

Was this cable next to the original? Entangled with the original? Picked up instead of the original? Did you own the wrong cable? The correct cable? Did this happen in your home?
GalFisk

Postby Zanreo » Wed May 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Was this cable next to the original? yes Entangled with the original? no Picked up instead of the original? yes Did you own the wrong cable? no, but... The correct cable? yes Did this happen in your home? no
Zanreo

Postby Earnest » Wed May 02, 2018 3:51 pm

Did you exchange the wrong cable which belongs to soneone else with your original one?
And thought it was your and brought home?
Did you then understand that it was not the original? If so, when you tried to charge again or for the first time the device? Were you trying to play the game while charging the device and realizes for instance that the cable was too short?
Earnest

Postby Zanreo » Wed May 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Did you exchange the wrong cable which belongs to soneone else with your original one? no, and I had both available
And thought it was your and brought home? no
Did you then understand that it was not the original? I noticed this at some point, but not the moment I started charging If so, when you tried to charge again or for the first time the device?no Were you trying to play the game while charging the device and realizes for instance that the cable was too short? no
Zanreo

Postby Earnest » Thu May 03, 2018 5:37 am

Did someone else own the wrong cable? If so, relevant who? A shop? A seller? A friend of yours? A relative? Someone you don't know but was in the same place as you?

Did you realize to have two cables available? (E.g. a negation could be that you had the wrong cable caught with others cable in a bag for instance...)

Can we assume that a part from the flow of energy coming from that specific wrong plug, it is identical to the origianl cable? If it is not, does it change in some visible component? In dimensions? Color? Material? A symbol? It does not have some charachteristic of the original? (E.g. some charachteristic that distinguish the original, meant for a game device, to the wrong one, meant to a phone?) Was the wrong cable the original cable of a phone? Relevant which kind of phone? Relevant the brand?
Earnest

Postby Zanreo » Thu May 03, 2018 5:59 am

Did someone else own the wrong cable? yes If so, relevant who? A shop? A seller? A friend of yours? A relative? this Someone you don't know but was in the same place as you?

Did you realize to have two cables available? I earlier saw both of them at the same place, yes
(E.g. a negation could be that you had the wrong cable caught with others cable in a bag for instance...) but not this

Can we assume that a part from the flow of energy coming from that specific wrong plug, it is identical to the origianl cable? If it is not, does it change in some visible component? In dimensions? this Color? Material? A symbol? and this It does not have some charachteristic of the original? (E.g. some charachteristic that distinguish the original, meant for a game device, to the wrong one, meant to a phone?) yeah Was the wrong cable the original cable of a phone? I think so Relevant which kind of phone? Relevant the brand? not really
Zanreo

Postby GalFisk » Thu May 03, 2018 6:05 am

Type of plug relevant? If so: round? Mini-USB? Micro-USB? USB-C? Did your device charge? was the cable you used connected to a wall wart? Was the original charger a wall wart?
GalFisk

Postby Zanreo » Thu May 03, 2018 7:27 am

Type of plug relevant? If so: round? Mini-USB? Micro-USB? USB-C this!? Did your device charge?yes was the cable you used connected to a wall wart? yes Was the original charger a wall wart? yes
Zanreo

Postby Zanreo » Mon May 14, 2018 12:36 pm

The main thing left to figure out is how I found out that charging with this other cable could damage the console. Nothing happened to my own console, but...
Zanreo

Postby GalFisk » Mon May 14, 2018 5:01 pm

Did someone else damage their console? If so, relevant wat kind of damage? Was there fire? Was a safety warning issued? Did you learn about the risk of damage from the friend you visited? From the news?
GalFisk

Postby Zanreo » Mon May 14, 2018 7:43 pm

Did someone else damage their console? yes, several others If so, relevant wat kind of damage? it stopped working/got "bricked" Was there fire? no Was a safety warning issued? after it happened to a bunch of people, yes Did you learn about the risk of damage from the friend you visited? From the news? gaming news sites, yes

I think that should be enough for the...

***** SPOILER *****
When staying at my dad's house for the weekend earlier this year, I charged my Nintendo Switch console overnight as I was going to bed - but there were 2 chargers, the Switch one I brought and a USB-C style charger that was already in the room. I accidentally grabbed the "wrong" one and plugged it in, something I first noticed after waking up... but it worked and seemed to charge so I didn't really mind. The Switch uses a USB-C shaped charger and port - however, after a recent firmware update a number of users using third-party chargers and accessories have reported the system bricking (stopped working). Turns out the Switch uses non-standard USB-C, causing regular USB-C chargers to possibly mess things up... soon after the reports started happening, Nintendo left a warning against using third-party chargers and recommended only using the official ones. Luckily, I only have the one official Switch charger myself, and I don't have any (regular) USB-C chargers since I don't own any devices using this - so I obviously didn't try this again! When I came across this news over a month later, I was suddenly happy I hadn't using third-party chargers since then...
Zanreo

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles