[WiZ] Nemesis

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] Nemesis

Postby WiZ » Tue May 08, 2018 9:28 pm

Pauline is on her summer holiday at a seaside town. One morning, she leaves her hotel room and buys a newspaper. 'Ah, my old nemesis', she thinks.

At twelve o'clock, she takes a break from shopping in town to get lunch. She buys a hot dog. 'Ah, my old nemesis', she thinks.

Later in the afternoon, she is walking along the beach. She stops near the pier and gets an ice cream. 'Ah, my old nemesis', she thinks.

Who, or what, is her 'nemesis', and why?
Last edited by WiZ on Thu May 17, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Nemesis

Postby Zanreo » Tue May 08, 2018 9:38 pm

Is her nemesis: a person? An animal? An object? Something intangible? Do all the objects she buys remind her of someone/something? Or something about the process of buying? The same person/thing?
Last edited by Zanreo on Tue May 08, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zanreo

Postby Enjay » Tue May 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Is she using "nemesis" in its usual definition, of an arch-enemy?

Is she referring to the same person/thing/whatever each time?

When she buys the newspaper, does she see her nemesis in the paper? Is the nemesis present in some aspect of her buying the paper?
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Tue May 08, 2018 9:55 pm

Zanreo

Is her nemesis: a person? An animal? no to both An object? yes Something intangible? no Do all the objects she buys remind her of someone/something? no Or something about the process of buying? yes, broadly The same person/thing? yes

Enjay-the-Devourer

Is she using "nemesis" in its usual definition, of an arch-enemy? yes

Is she referring to the same person/thing/whatever each time? yes

When she buys the newspaper, does she see her nemesis in the paper? no Is the nemesis present in some aspect of her buying the paper? yes
WiZ

Postby Zanreo » Tue May 08, 2018 10:02 pm

Money relevant? Does she pay in cash? By card? If in cash, spare change relevant? Something about not finding exactly enough money to pay?
Zanreo

Postby WiZ » Tue May 08, 2018 10:07 pm

Money relevant? no Does she pay in cash? yes By card? this is also possible If in cash, spare change relevant? no Something about not finding exactly enough money to pay? no
WiZ

Postby LemonCurry » Wed May 09, 2018 8:38 am

Does she encounter her nemesis every time she buys something? Often when she buys something? Rarely?
Can she encounter her nemesis without buying anything?
LemonCurry

Postby WiZ » Wed May 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Does she encounter her nemesis every time she buys something? no Often when she buys something? no Rarely? yes
Can she encounter her nemesis without buying anything? yes
WiZ

Postby peter365 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:24 am

Is she stuck on a crossword clue in the paper?
peter365

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu May 10, 2018 11:34 am

I love Wiz's Q btw :-D

Is her nemesis specifically those things? Or do the things remind her of her nemesis? Besides those 3 things, would there be other things which might be, or remind her of, her nemesis? Number of things [list of numbers]? Relevant what some of those other things are?

Relevant her location at the time? Would any other locations elicit the same response? Time of day relevant? Are we to assume she has conquered her nemesis? Or that something has happened which destroyed it or rendered it irrelevant? Diet related?

Is she a spy? Is her occupation relevant [list of occupations]? Can she encounter her old nemesis every time she comes in contact with specific things? Is it to do with her occupation, past or present? Is her age relevant?
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Thu May 10, 2018 9:21 pm

Peter

Is she stuck on a crossword clue in the paper? Endless knot? Negative! (2)

InvisibleMimsy

I love Wiz's Q btw :-D Thanks. I did a similar thing with 'Is Graham Crackers?' which is in the solved archive, somewhere

Is her nemesis specifically those things? no Or do the things remind her of her nemesis? yope Besides those 3 things, would there be other things which might be, or remind her of, her nemesis? yes Number of things [list of numbers]? A small, expanding infinity Relevant what some of those other things are? There's a thematic link which is more relevant than any nameable thing

Relevant her location at the time? yes Would any other locations elicit the same response? Many could, yes Time of day relevant? no (although some are probably precluded) Are we to assume she has conquered her nemesis? Yes, although this is a bit of a tangential issue Or that something has happened which destroyed it or rendered it irrelevant? no Diet related? no

Is she a spy? no Is her occupation relevant [list of occupations]? no Can she encounter her old nemesis every time she comes in contact with specific things? not every time, but most frequently Is it to do with her occupation, past or present? no Is her age relevant? no
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Fri May 11, 2018 6:34 am

So Pauline = HAF? Relevant that she was on her summer holiday? Would it work even if she were not on holiday? If she were in her winter holidays? Are meteorological conditions relevant? Hit? Is she able to see her nemesis? Is her nemesis "old" because she had it also years before?

When she buyed the paper did she encoubter her nemesis by reading it? Is the "same nemesis" all the 3 times she thought it? Is the nemesis considered so because it is associated to something traumatic for her? Something happened in her childhood? Could the nemesis be such also for other people? If so is it common? Is it a mean of transport? Something regarding the conformation of a city (a bridge/a crossing, a street...?)? Something typical of tropical places?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri May 11, 2018 8:49 am

Does her response each time, “Ah, my old nemesis,” actually help her to resist it? Is her nemesis related to this town, or seaside towns, and/or to other places? Does one nemetic thing lead to another? Do the things have anything in common aside from all being her nemesis? Is every thing food, or related to food in some way? Are the things linked to each other? Is it the act of buying her nemesis, or another action, or the things themselves? Does she have multiple small nemeses, or one which includes all these items/triggers?
(Sorry if I’ve repeated things already answered; I’m on my phone here).
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Mon May 14, 2018 1:34 am

Earnest

So Pauline = HAF? yes Relevant that she was on her summer holiday? This had an influence on what she bought and where she went to buy it Would it work even if she were not on holiday? Maybe. Circumstances would have to direct her to make the same choices, which are less likely to occur in other scenarios If she were in her winter holidays? probably not Are meteorological conditions relevant? Yes, for the reasons given above Hit? Can you explain what you mean by 'hit'? Is she able to see her nemesis? yes Is her nemesis "old" because she had it also years before? yes, she has had this nemesis for years

When she buyed the paper did she encoubter her nemesis by reading it? no Is the "same nemesis" all the 3 times she thought it? I'll say yes Is the nemesis considered so because it is associated to something traumatic for her? Yes (although 'traumatic' may be a little strong) Something happened in her childhood? yes Could the nemesis be such also for other people? yes If so is it common? not very Is it a mean of transport? It can be, but not relevantly Something regarding the conformation of a city (a bridge/a crossing, a street...?)? no Something typical of tropical places? Yes, for certain manifestations of the nemesis

InvisibleMimsy

Does her response each time, “Ah, my old nemesis,” actually help her to resist it? no Is her nemesis related to this town, or seaside towns, not uniquely and/or to other places? this Does one nemetic thing lead to another? no Do the things have anything in common aside from all being her nemesis? no Is every thing food no, or related to food in some way? not necessarily Are the things linked to each other? no Is it the act of buying her nemesis, or another action, no to these or the things themselves? yes Does she have multiple small nemeses yes, but only because these are various manifestations of..., or one which includes all these items/triggers? ...This
(Sorry if I’ve repeated things already answered; I’m on my phone here). No problem. I don't post at all when I'm on my phone :)
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Mon May 14, 2018 10:39 am

Has Pauline been to this place before? Relevant? Is it in a different country to where she lives? Relevant? Are foreign languages relevant?

Is the time of day at which she buys each of the items relevant?

Does she buy the three things just because she wants them (ie wants to read the paper and eat the hot dog/ice cream?)

Is it relevant what kind of vendor she buys each of the things from?

Is the nemesis associated with any of these stages of buying the items:
-She decides she wants the item
-She goes to a place which sells that item
-She picks out the specific item she wants
-She takes the item to the counter/salesperson
-She hands over money
-She receives the item
-She leaves the shop
-She uses/consumes the item

Does she ask for the items out loud? Relevant?

Do her transactions go as planned ie she pays money and ends up with the thing she is buying?
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Mon May 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Has Pauline been to this place before? irrelevant Relevant? no Is it in a different country to where she lives? assume no Relevant? no Are foreign languages relevant? non

Is the time of day at which she buys each of the items relevant? no

Does she buy the three things just because she wants them (ie wants to read the paper and eat the hot dog/ice cream?) yes

Is it relevant what kind of vendor she buys each of the things from? yes!

Is the nemesis associated with any of these stages of buying the items:
-She decides she wants the item
-She goes to a place which sells that item this, no to rest
-She picks out the specific item she wants
-She takes the item to the counter/salesperson
-She hands over money
-She receives the item
-She leaves the shop
-She uses/consumes the item

Does she ask for the items out loud? assume yes Relevant? no

Do her transactions go as planned ie she pays money and ends up with the thing she is buying? yes
WiZ

Postby Nalkarj » Mon May 14, 2018 10:10 pm

Does she buy anything else along with each item?

I had a guess that her nemesis was the sun, but that doesn’t seem to go with your last replies.
Nalkarj

Postby WiZ » Mon May 14, 2018 10:18 pm

Does she buy anything else along with each item? no

I had a guess that her nemesis was the sun, but that doesn’t seem to go with your last replies. Correct; she can find her nemesis where the sun don't shine, so to speak
WiZ

Postby LemonCurry » Tue May 15, 2018 5:21 am

Is she relevantly outside when buying the items? Is she relevantly buying the items from a kiosk or booth? Can she face her nemesis when in a supermarket or restaurant?

Relevant what she is wearing? Does something physically hurt?

Is she unusually short? Is something else about her physics relevant?
LemonCurry

Postby Earnest » Tue May 15, 2018 7:04 am

So...did she buy the things in a "mobile" shop?...don't know the exact word for that...anyway I mean those vehicles used also as shops by the owners (e.g. in street food...).
If so, is the vehicle itself the nemesis? Is igyene relevant? Allergies/bacteria? Is it relevant where the shops were placed? Near the street? Near of sonething relevant? The shop on the pier can we assume it was on a pedestrian area? Does she find her nemesis by looking up? Looking down? Looking at the vendor? Even without buying? Did she pay with real regular money? Did she speak a relevant language? Is the nemesis still a "nemesis" because it caused her the same problems/damages/risks that it caused her when she was a child (and call it nemesis for the first time)??
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Does she go to a kiosk (moral or otherwise :D )?

Sorry if this has been asked but does she buy each item in the same place? Is her nemesis being tempted by something? Has she any relevant addictions or habits?
peter365

Postby WiZ » Tue May 15, 2018 9:10 pm

LemonCurry

Is she relevantly outside when buying the items? no Is she relevantly buying the items from a kiosk yes! or booth? relevantly a kiosk Can she face her nemesis when in a supermarket yes or restaurant? no

Relevant what she is wearing? no Does something physically hurt? no

Is she unusually short? no Is something else about her physics relevant? no

Earnest

So...did she buy the things in a "mobile" shop?... yes don't know the exact word for that...'kiosk' in this case :) anyway I mean those vehicles used also as shops by the owners (e.g. in street food...). Gotcha.
If so, is the vehicle itself the nemesis? The kiosk is the nemesis, yes Is igyene relevant? no Allergies/bacteria? no Is it relevant where the shops were placed? no Near the street? Near of sonething relevant? n/a to both The shop on the pier can we assume it was on a pedestrian area? yes Does she find her nemesis by looking up? Looking down? no to both Looking at the vendor? yes Even without buying? yes Did she pay with real regular money? yes Did she speak a relevant language? nein Is the nemesis still a "nemesis" because it caused her the same problems/damages/risks that it caused her when she was a child (and call it nemesis for the first time)?? no, good Q

Peter

Does she go to a kiosk Yes! (moral or otherwise :D )? I had to look that one up - I discovered them during the Reveal era, and I'm a little rusty on their very early stuff

Sorry if this has been asked but does she buy each item in the same place? no Is her nemesis being tempted by something? no Has she any relevant addictions or habits? no
WiZ

Postby Enjay » Tue May 15, 2018 9:41 pm

So she had a bad experience with a kiosk when she was younger? Did she get stuck in one?
Is this a set-up where the vendor is sat inside the kiosk with a counter in front of them? Is the height of the counter relevant?

If she faced her nemesis in a supermarket, would it be at the checkout? At a kiosk inside the supermarket? At a deli counter?
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Tue May 15, 2018 10:30 pm

So she had a bad experience with a kiosk when she was younger? yope Did she get stuck in one? no
Is this a set-up where the vendor is sat inside the kiosk with a counter in front of them? assume yes Is the height of the counter relevant? no

If she faced her nemesis in a supermarket, would it be at the checkout? Unlikely At a kiosk inside the supermarket? Yes At a deli counter? no
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed May 16, 2018 2:23 am

Did she used to have a kiosk, or work at one? Were times better for her then than they are now? Did she end up in a bad situation? Has she overcome something since then?
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Wed May 16, 2018 4:30 am

Did she used to have a kiosk, or work at one? no Were times better for her then than they are now? no Did she end up in a bad situation? yes Has she overcome something since then? yes, but irrelevant
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Wed May 16, 2018 4:39 am

"So she had a bad experience with a kiosk when she was younger? yope":
Did someone else have a bad experience with a kiosk?
Did she have a bad experience with something like a kiosk? Something related to a kiosk?
Did she have an experience which was yopishly bad?
Did she have a bad experience with a kiosk, but not when she was relevantly younger?
Did she have a bad experience with someone working in a kiosk?
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Wed May 16, 2018 7:02 am

"When she was a child" = aged 0-4? 5-10? 10-15?Relevant? Is there a relevant charachteristic that she now has and had not when she was younger and that caused the bad experiece with kiosk to happen? If so, height? Possibility to speak? Curiosity of babies? Was she abandoned at a kiosk? Did her parent own a kiosk? Is the fact that a kiosk can be moved relevant? Was she raped? Did someone else relevant escape with a kiosk? Is the kiosk itself the main cause of her bad experience?

Bad experience = a physical one? A "mental" one? Of a physical one, are accident relevant? Relevant where the experience happened? Relevant that the world kiosk comes from Turkey? Relevant her origin?
Earnest

Postby LemonCurry » Wed May 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Did she have the bad experience once? Multiple times? continuously over a time period?
Did she have it with an actual kiosk? One particular kiosk? On the way to a kiosk? With a kiosk owner? With the word „kiosk“? Someone nicknamed „kiosk“
LemonCurry

Postby WiZ » Wed May 16, 2018 8:57 pm

GalFisk

"So she had a bad experience with a kiosk when she was younger? yope":
Did someone else have a bad experience with a kiosk? no
Did she have a bad experience with something like a kiosk? no Something related to a kiosk? yope
Did she have an experience which was yopishly bad? no
Did she have a bad experience with a kiosk, but not when she was relevantly younger? no
Did she have a bad experience with someone working in a kiosk? no

Earnest

"When she was a child" = aged 0-4? 5-10? 10-15? She would have been around 10 years old Relevant? yes Is there a relevant charachteristic that she now has and had not when she was younger and that caused the bad experiece with kiosk to happen? yes If so, height? no Possibility to speak? no, but ORT Curiosity of babies? no Was she abandoned at a kiosk? no Did her parent own a kiosk? no Is the fact that a kiosk can be moved relevant? no Was she raped? no Did someone else relevant escape with a kiosk? no Is the kiosk itself the main cause of her bad experience? yes

Bad experience = a physical one? A "mental" one? this Of a physical one, are accident relevant? no Relevant where the experience happened? yes Relevant that the world kiosk comes from Turkey? yes! Relevant her origin? to a small degree, yes

LemonCurry

Did she have the bad experience once? yes Multiple times? no continuously over a time period? no
Did she have it with an actual kiosk? One particular kiosk? On the way to a kiosk? With a kiosk owner? With the word „kiosk“? this!! Someone nicknamed „kiosk“ no to rest
WiZ

Postby LemonCurry » Thu May 17, 2018 7:01 am

Did ghe kiosk experience happen at school? At home? On vacation? Somewhere else?

Did she not know what a kiosk is? Did she think they only exist in the Middle East or something? Did she use the word wrong? Spell it wrong?

Did she cause a misunderstanding? Or embarrassment? Was she laughed at? Mocked? Got a bad grade? Did she go to the wrong place and went missing?
LemonCurry

Postby Earnest » Thu May 17, 2018 7:17 am

Did she lose herself and need to tell the word "kiosk" to someone? Or alternatively she had a kiosk as only "reference point" but could not spell it? Did she participate to a spelling contest (hope it is clear) and lost due to the word kiosk?

Was she asked about the origin of the name kiosk? Is she from Turkey and pronounced the word kiosk correctly (in the turkish way) being however misunderstood by others?
Earnest

Postby Enjay » Thu May 17, 2018 9:20 am

Did she have a speech impediment that made it hard to say the word "kiosk"?
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Thu May 17, 2018 8:27 pm

Earnest

Did she participate to a spelling contest (hope it is clear) and lost due to the word kiosk?

***** SPOILER *****

As a child, Pauline was knocked out of the finals of a national spelling bee by the word 'Kiosk' (she was unfamiliar with the word and its etymology). Every time she makes a purchase from a Kiosk, this nemesis reminds her of her greatest failure!

Congratulations, Earnest, on the solution, and thank you Enjay, LemonCurry, GalFisk, InvisibleMimsy, and others for playing!
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] Nemesis [S-O-L-V-E-D]

Postby irishelk » Thu May 17, 2018 8:29 pm

Nice one! N-i-c-e o-n-e. Nice one.
irishelk

Postby Earnest » Fri May 18, 2018 7:01 am

Thanks very nice puzzle! Btw...we were discussing just few months ago with one of my friends about how strange a spelling contest would be in Italy...I mean quite every word in italian when said gives the answer to the spelling question...with some exceptions however (too few that they are taught in schools)
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Sun May 20, 2018 8:21 pm

That makes sense. It has been said that English is really three different languages wearing a trenchcoat.
WiZ

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles