[invisiblemimsy] Cheeky Chips

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[invisiblemimsy] Cheeky Chips

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed May 23, 2018 12:11 am

Back in the 80’s when I worked in London, the going rate for freshly-cooked fish and chips was £1. There was a chippy in High Holborn which suddenly reduced the price to 1p. But some people just had to spoil it, didn’t they? The price went back up, and then some.
Last edited by invisiblemimsy on Thu May 31, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
invisiblemimsy

Re: [invisiblemimsy] Cheeky Chips

Postby WiZ » Wed May 23, 2018 12:25 am

Did the reduction to 1p amount to a 99% reduction in price (i.e. the pound had an equivalent value, the same quantity of Fish and Chips was being served in each case etc.)? Did the chippy lower the price on purpose? Did he profit from this exercise? Were people taking advantage of this new price? Was he aware that this was being charged? Was the price advertised as 1p? Did this pricing result from some kind of error (such as at the till)? Did the price change back immediately after this was pointed out? Was the raised price to compensate for losses during this period of cheap chips that were cheaper chips than cheap-as-chips chips?

*takes a breath*

Is an unscrupulous employee of the Fish'n'chip shop responsible for this reduction?

I've had Fish and Chips in both England and Scotland, and preferred the Scottish special sauce to the vinegar in England. But I don't understand the cultural paradigm of the chips having to be as soggy as the Titanic logbook.
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed May 23, 2018 2:54 am

WiZ wrote:Did the reduction to 1p amount to a 99% reduction in price (i.e. the pound had an equivalent value, the same quantity of Fish and Chips was being served in each case etc.)? yes Did the chippy lower the price on purpose? yes Did he profit from this exercise? yope Were people taking advantage of this new price? yesish, explore Was he aware that this was being charged? yes Was the price advertised as 1p? yes... but Did this pricing result from some kind of error (such as at the till)? no Did the price change back immediately after this was pointed out? N/AWas the raised price to compensate for losses during this period of cheap chips that were cheaper chips than cheap-as-chips chips? lol, no... but ‘compensate’ is an interesting concept...

*takes a breath*

Is an unscrupulous employee of the Fish'n'chip shop responsible for this reduction? no

I've had Fish and Chips in both England and Scotland, and preferred the Scottish special sauce to the vinegar in England. But I don't understand the cultural paradigm of the chips having to be as soggy as the Titanic logbook. i prefer the English version. Soggy is genius!
invisiblemimsy

Postby Earnest » Wed May 23, 2018 6:24 am

Hey!

Relevant where the chippy (fish and chips shop right?) in question was located? Suddenly = generic? In a specific timing? Relevant the nationality of the owner? Was there a comensation "rynair style"? E.g. they sold the fish and chips at that price but they were selling something else at very little more? Was the fish and chips served relevantly with something else. Sauces? Beer? Drinkages? Was the price of sonething else raised? Was a relevant saving made? If so in terms of quality of food? In terms of igyiene? Service? Did the chippy owner own another shop? Can we assume the chippy sold just fish and chips?

Did this (lower the price and then raise it back) happen in one day? One week? One month? More? Was it just to made people talk about the chippy? Was there a future return? Did they sell really "fresh" fish at that price? With 1p, they meant 1 pound right? Was it (selling at 1p) a lowering of the price for the general fish and chips market but a raising of prices for that specific shop which for instance had a contract with an hotel and usually offered the fish and chips to tourists/people?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Wed May 23, 2018 6:56 am

Earnest wrote:Hey!
Hey back!

Relevant where the chippy (fish and chips shop right?) in question was located? not really. Somewhere busy in the financial and legal district, so masses of lunchtime business. Suddenly = generic? In a specific timing? He had been charging £1 for fish & chips for a long time, then one day onwards he charged 1p. Relevant the nationality of the owner? no Was there a comensation "rynair style"? not sure exactly what you mean but I think not E.g. they sold the fish and chips at that price but they were selling something else at very little more? OTRT Was the fish and chips served relevantly with something else. Yes Sauces? Beer? Drinkages? none of these Was the price of sonething else raised? YES! Was a relevant saving made? for the customer, yes. If so in terms of quality of food? In terms of igyiene? Service? no to these Did the chippy owner own another shop? assume no Can we assume the chippy sold just fish and chips? for the purposes of the puzzle, yes.

Did this (lower the price and then raise it back) happen in one day? One week? One month? i can’t remember, but about 3 weeks I think. More? Was it just to made people talk about the chippy? no, although people certainly did talk about it Was there a future return? there was an immediate return Did they sell really "fresh" fish at that price? yes, just as they always did With 1p, they meant 1 pound right? no - one penny! Was it (selling at 1p) a lowering of the price for the general fish and chips market but a raising of prices for that specific shop which for instance had a contract with an hotel and usually offered the fish and chips to tourists/people? Anyone who came to the shop could take advantage of this low price.
invisiblemimsy

Postby peter365 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:22 am

Did they compensate by charging for something not edible? Were the meals to take away? Or does the chippie have a sit down area? Did you have to pay to consume the chips on the premises?

Did they charge for the wrapping? newspapers relevant?
peter365

Postby LemonCurry » Wed May 23, 2018 8:48 am

Are taxes relevant? Would the customers pay less altogether than usual? more?
For 1 penny, would you get the fish and chips raw and frozen, and they would charge for the service of frying it?
LemonCurry

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu May 24, 2018 3:42 pm

peter365 wrote:Did they compensate by charging for something not edible? noWere the meals to take away? yes Or does the chippie have a sit down area? yes Did you have to pay to consume the chips on the premises? yes

Did they charge for the wrapping? no newspapers relevant? no
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu May 24, 2018 3:43 pm

LemonCurry wrote:Are taxes relevant? yes Would the customers pay less altogether than usual? more? the same, good Q
For 1 penny, would you get the fish and chips raw and frozen, and they would charge for the service of frying it? no but otrt
invisiblemimsy

Postby Tiger » Thu May 24, 2018 10:12 pm

Hi!

Were customers taking advantage of the deal by bringing along with them the thing that was raised in price? So that they would avoid paying for that and just get the cheap food?

Is the "other thing" - a container/tray? Something edible?
Tiger

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu May 24, 2018 10:20 pm

Tiger wrote:Hi!

Were customers taking advantage of the deal by bringing along with them the thing that was raised in price? That's a canny question! No they weren't, but it would have worked the same way So that they would avoid paying for that and just get the cheap food? And this was what happened... for a while.

Is the "other thing" - a container/tray? noSomething edible? yes
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Thu May 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Did they charge for salt? Sauce? Batter/crumbs? A complementary foodstuff?
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri May 25, 2018 12:07 am

WiZ wrote:Did they charge for salt? Sauce? Batter/crumbs? A complementary foodstuff?

Yes, for salt and vinegar
invisiblemimsy

Postby WiZ » Fri May 25, 2018 12:14 am

Am I right in my understanding that the new business model was 1p Fish and Chips with 99p Salt and vinegar?

You said that customers didn't bring their own salt and vinegar, but this would have had the same effect. Did they make the sacrifice and eat unseasoned chips? Did they manage to source salt and vinegar, or a similar flavouring agent, from elsewhere (such as harnessing the natural grease of the fish iunno)?
WiZ

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri May 25, 2018 12:27 am

WiZ wrote:Am I right in my understanding that the new business model was 1p Fish and Chips with 99p Salt and vinegar? Yes, exactly.

You said that customers didn't bring their own salt and vinegar, but this would have had the same effect. Did they make the sacrifice and eat unseasoned chips? This.
Did they manage to source salt and vinegar, or a similar flavouring agent, from elsewhere Although they could have done this I daresay(such as harnessing the natural grease of the fish iunno)? :lol:
invisiblemimsy

Postby Enjay » Fri May 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Is VAT relevant? Did the chippy make more money off the same sales by doing it like this, because the salt and vinegar had less tax payable than the fish and chips?

Were the people who went without salt and vinegar the ones who spoiled it? Because the chippy wasn't making a profit so had to put prices back up?
Enjay

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Fri May 25, 2018 4:35 pm

mimsy,

I have no idea why they would suddenly do such a ridiculous thing but I am watching this puzzle, greatly entertained, with Donut the Seagull also watching. XD

Donut wishes to inform you that if he was at this chippy he wouldn't care about the salt and vinegar, so he might just pay with 1p and get it over with. If he paid at all. Seagulls don't carry money generally. XD
But I mean, could you resist that face? https://www.dropbox.com/home/Camera%20Uploads?preview=2018-04-05+11.47.34.jpg
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby KayleeArafinwiel » Fri May 25, 2018 4:36 pm

mimsy,

I have no idea why they would suddenly do such a ridiculous thing but I am watching this puzzle, greatly entertained, with Donut the Seagull also watching. XD

Donut wishes to inform you that if he was at this chippy he wouldn't care about the salt and vinegar, so he might just pay with 1p and get it over with. If he paid at all. Seagulls don't carry money generally. XD
But I mean, could you resist Donut? He's adorable! https://www.facebook.com/DonutTheSeagull/
KayleeArafinwiel

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri May 25, 2018 7:02 pm

Enjay wrote:Is VAT relevant? Yes indeed Did the chippy make more money off the same sales by doing it like this, He actually made exactly the same per transaction, however another factor came into play because the salt and vinegar had less tax payable than the fish and chips?Yes; the salt and vinegar had exactly 0% VAT

Were the people who went without salt and vinegar the ones who spoiled it? yes Because the chippy wasn't making a profit so had to put prices back up? yes
Last edited by invisiblemimsy on Fri May 25, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
invisiblemimsy

Postby invisiblemimsy » Fri May 25, 2018 7:05 pm

KayleeArafinwiel wrote:mimsy,

But I mean, could you resist Donut? He's adorable! https://www.facebook.com/DonutTheSeagull/

No, I absolutely couldn't resist him! I don't think he would pay anyway, it'd be against his religion (or something).
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Thu May 31, 2018 7:16 am

So they did this in order to pay less VAT? Because the VAT on fish and chips is more than 0%? Were they doing this as a protest?
GalFisk

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu May 31, 2018 11:44 am

GalFisk wrote:So they did this in order to pay less VAT? Because the VAT on fish and chips is more than 0%? Were they doing this as a protest?

Yes, exactly!

***************************$POILER*********************

In the early 1980's in the UK, VAT at 15% was already applied to restaurant meals, but not to takeaways... until the government decided to apply it to takeaways too. Naturally, the public were pretty miffed about this, as were the takeaway owners.

The going rate for fish and chips was £1. One enterprising takeaway owner started charging 1p for fish and chips, and 99p for salt and vinegar. Not only did this please the customers, it also did wonders for his business: people flocked to his shop from the whole area, foresaking all other chippies. Unfortunately for everyone, some people began ordering f&c without s&v, and insisting on paying 1p for their meal. This behaviour caught on, the owner had to cancel the offer, and the price went up to £1.15.

Well done to everyone who played and to Galfisk for the solve.
invisiblemimsy

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles