[GalFisk] Common as trash

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[GalFisk] Common as trash

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:55 am

It's common as trash and has often been called so
And this type of "it" is the most useless kind
But during my travels I found this one instance
Of this type of "it" that I just didn't mind.

The puzzle you will have to answer today:
What is "it", and why was this one "it" okay?

Last edited by GalFisk on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GalFisk

Re: [GalFisk] Common as trash

Postby Earnest » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:30 am

Hope you did not travel in New Zealand otherwise you are going to spoil WiZ puzzle xD

All the "it" refer to the same thing which is often considered rubbish/trash right? Do you usually find "it" in the streets? In bins? In boxes?
Is it trash by definition? Was it a mixture of something else before becoming trash? Mixture of organic stuffs? Food? Does it smell like trash? Technology relevant? Relevant where you travelled? Was "it" considered trash as well where you travelled? Was it useless as well there? Can "it" be considered a scrap? A residual? Sonething that after being used is considered trash? Something that is consumed and then thrown (e.g. fruit?)? Something made of plastic? Metal? Organic substances? Others? Sonething that can be found in houses? That is of every day life usage?

"just didn't mind." = I did not know it existed? I did not care of it? I could not imagine?

Other line of thought...so "it" is not properly trash even if it is called like that right?
"why was this one "it" okay?" = why was this one not considered trash? Why was this one good in aome aspect that we need to find/ in some aspect that usually is not "good" in other objects (is it an object?) of the same kind/type
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:30 am

Hope you did not travel in New Zealand otherwise you are going to spoil WiZ puzzle xD No worries.

All the "it" refer to the same thing which is often considered rubbish/trash right? Yes. Do you usually find "it" in the streets? Yes. In bins? In boxes? No to both.
Is it trash by definition? Noish. Was it a mixture of something else before becoming trash? Assume no. Mixture of organic stuffs? No. Food? No. Does it smell like trash? No. Technology relevant? Yesish, explore. Relevant where you travelled? Yesish, explore. Was "it" considered trash as well where you travelled? Yes. Was it useless as well there? Yes. Can "it" be considered a scrap? No. A residual? No. Sonething that after being used is considered trash? No. Something that is consumed and then thrown (e.g. fruit?)? No. Something made of plastic? Metal? Organic substances? Others? This. Sonething that can be found in houses? Not normally. That is of every day life usage? No.

"just didn't mind." = I did not know it existed? I did not care of it? I could not imagine? I was not annoyed by its uselessness.

Other line of thought...so "it" is not properly trash even if it is called like that right? Correct.
"why was this one "it" okay?" = why was this one not considered trash? It was still considered trash. Why was this one good in aome aspect that we need to find/ in some aspect that usually is not "good" in other objects (is it an object?) of the same kind/type Correct. This one "it" was good in some aspect that you need to find.
GalFisk

Postby Zanreo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:17 am

So did that specific "it" differ in some way from the usual kind? In looks? Size? Shape? Was it a more uncommon version of the thing? Could you use it for a purpose it's usually not used for? Is it usually used with something else? But by itself it's considered trash?
Zanreo

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:27 am

So did that specific "it" differ in some way from the usual kind? Not in itself. In looks? Size? Shape? No to all. Was it a more uncommon version of the thing? Yes, and a version that is normally considered especially useless. Could you use it for a purpose it's usually not used for? Yes. Is it usually used with something else? No. But by itself it's considered trash? Yes.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 am

You cab find it in streets = on the side of streets? In the middle of streets? Is it fuel/oil? Something car connected? Animal connected? Something that is thrown voluntarily in streets? From cars? Do pedestrians go to the streets to throw it away? Is "it" something granular? Asphalt? Is it liquid? Solid? Gas? Does "it" become trash due to the passing of time?

Can it be recycled? Did you find a recycled version of "it"? Have you travelled in Africa? Asia? Europe? USA? Others? In third world countries?
Was "it" used to beautify the streets? To clean them? To beautify the area?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:00 am

You cab find it in streets = on the side of streets? Yesish. In the middle of streets? Seldom. Is it fuel/oil? Something car connected? Animal connected? No to all. Something that is thrown voluntarily in streets? Not "thrown", but it's placed there on purpose. From cars? No. Do pedestrians go to the streets to throw it away? No. Is "it" something granular? Asphalt? Is it liquid? In the beginning. Solid? This. Gas? Gas is involved. Does "it" become trash due to the passing of time? No.

Can it be recycled? No. Did you find a recycled version of "it"? No. Have you travelled in Africa? Asia? No. Europe? Yes. USA? Others? In third world countries? No to all.
Was "it" used to beautify the streets? No, the opposite. To clean them? No, the opposite. To beautify the area? No, the opposite.
Those who put "it" there may feel differently.
GalFisk

Postby wwhere » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:38 am

Is it graphiti? Was this specially useless because it was the kind of graphiti that is only letters, not drawings or so? And did you find it useful because it allowed you to recognise the street you were looking for?
wwhere

Postby GalFisk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:41 am

Is it graphiti? Yes, but see next. Was this specially useless because it was the kind of graphiti that is only letters, not drawings or so? All of "it" is so called "tagging" (just a name or word sprayed to mark territory). The specific "it" is even more useless than ordinary tagging. And did you find it useful because it allowed you to recognise the street you were looking for? No, but sort of OTRT.
GalFisk

Postby Zanreo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:19 pm

"even more useless" - was it just a random scribble as opposed to text? Was it useful because you recognized this WASN'T the place you were looking for?
Zanreo

Postby Earnest » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm

Europe...may I do a list of countries in Europe just for sake of curiosity?

wwhere you got the jump on me...I realised it was graphiti as soon as I read the answers of GalFisk and was doing the question before reading yours! Ahhahaha

Anyway...relevant what graffiti did represent? Their colors? Did they signal something you were not aware of? A danger? Was there more than one graphiti? If so all with the same subject? Did you lose yourself? Did you ask a taxi driver to bring you in the place where you saw the graphiti? Did you recognize a train where you lost something by the graphiti that it had? (In Italy sometimes old trains have graphiti on them)
Did the graphiti allow you/someone else to recognize something?
Earnest

Postby invisiblemimsy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:37 pm

Did it help you to recognise where a toilet was? Some other thing or place you needed? Were you looking for a person or a location? Were you lost and going round in circles and the graffiti made you realise you were at the same place again?
invisiblemimsy

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:32 pm

"even more useless" - was it just a random scribble as opposed to text? Irr. Was it useful because you recognized this WASN'T the place you were looking for? No.
Zanreo

Europe...may I do a list of countries in Europe just for sake of curiosity? Sweden.

wwhere you got the jump on me...I realised it was graphiti as soon as I read the answers of GalFisk and was doing the question before reading yours! Ahhahaha

Anyway...relevant what graffiti did represent? No. Their colors? No. Did they signal something you were not aware of? Noish. A danger? No. Was there more than one graphiti? No. If so all with the same subject? Did you lose yourself? Did you ask a taxi driver to bring you in the place where you saw the graphiti? No to all. Did you recognize a train where you lost something by the graphiti that it had? (In Italy sometimes old trains have graphiti on them)No, but trains are relevant.
Did the graphiti allow you/someone else to recognize something? Not "recognize", but...

Did it help you to recognise where a toilet was? Some other thing or place you needed? The placement of a thing is relevant, explore.Were you looking for a person or a location? Location. Were you lost and going round in circles and the graffiti made you realise you were at the same place again? No.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Trains are relevant = you were on a train? You were in a starion? You needed to take a train? Someone else took a train? Were you looking at train billboards (hope this is the right name)? The one displaying origin/destination/timetable of a train?

Did graffiti allow you to realize where a train was going to/coming from? Train delay relevant? Change of arrival rail? Were you looking for the location in a time table obscured by graffiti?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:02 pm

Trains are relevant = you were on a train? You were in a starion? This. You needed to take a train? Yes. Someone else took a train? Irr. Were you looking at train billboards (hope this is the right name)? The one displaying origin/destination/timetable of a train? Irr to both.

Did graffiti allow you to realize where a train was going to/coming from? Train delay relevant? No to all. Change of arrival rail? No, explore. Were you looking for the location in a time table obscured by graffiti? No.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:50 am

Did you know where to take the train (the right rail)? Were you on time? Was rhe train? Did you need to check the destination of the train to establish the right rail where to go? Were you already on the right rail? Are there two namesake cities and the graffiti just specified the correct pronuntiation of one of the two making it clear the distinction between one place and the other? Were the graffiti consisting of two points/any other grammatical symbol? If so, were them on the name of the location you were looking? On another one
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Did you know where to take the train (the right rail)? Yes, but explore. Were you on time? Yes. Was rhe train? Irr. Did you need to check the destination of the train to establish the right rail where to go? No. Were you already on the right rail? Yes. Are there two namesake cities and the graffiti just specified the correct pronuntiation of one of the two making it clear the distinction between one place and the other? No. Were the graffiti consisting of two points/any other grammatical symbol? Irr. If so, were them on the name of the location you were looking? No. On another one No.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:28 pm

Were the graffiti on a wall? Location you were looking for = destination of the train? Btw...by location it is meant a town/city or also generic like a trash (sprry I was thinking of a WAG involving a trash bin) or others? Was the train real? Painted? Was there a graffiti with 9 and 3/4 painted? Relevant what the graffiti represented? Did you see the graffiti from the rail? Was the graffiti on a wall? On the floor? On a train? On a timetable? On a billboard? On a signal (e.g. the signal indicating the bathroom) On a vending machine? On a bench? Was the graffiti covering something? A writing? A paint? A signal? Was the graffiti correcting something wrong? Was the graffiti fresh? Old? Was it used for an emergency? Was it put there (where it was) for a specific reason?

Had the train arrival been announced by a speaker? Relevant? Were you unsure about the location of something which was not your destination? (E.g. location of first and second class? Location of the toilet in the train? Location of the line not to be outmatched when train arrives? Ticket relevant? Others?)
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:47 am

Were the graffiti on a wall? No. Location you were looking for = destination of the train? No. Btw...by location it is meant a town/city or also generic like a trash (sprry I was thinking of a WAG involving a trash bin) or others? Location of an object. See below.Was the train real? Yes. Painted? Not with graffiti. Was there a graffiti with 9 and 3/4 painted? Relevant what the graffiti represented? No to both. Did you see the graffiti from the rail? Yes. Was the graffiti on a wall? On the floor? Thisish - on asphalted ground. On a train? On a timetable? On a billboard? On a signal (e.g. the signal indicating the bathroom) On a vending machine? On a bench? Was the graffiti covering something? A writing? A paint? A signal? Was the graffiti correcting something wrong? No to all. Was the graffiti fresh? Old? This. Was it used for an emergency? Was it put there (where it was) for a specific reason? No to both.

Had the train arrival been announced by a speaker? Relevant? Irr. Were you unsure about the location of something which was not your destination? Yes. (E.g. location of first and second class? Location of the toilet in the train? Location of the line not to be outmatched when train arrives? Ticket relevant? Others?) Others - something on the train. OTRT, explore.
GalFisk

Postby Earnest » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:18 pm

So graffiti was outside the train on asphalted ground and allowed you to find out something inside the train right? Like the right carriage? Is the color of the graffiti relevant? Was it of the color of something on the asphalted ground relevantly? Of the opposite color (e.g. white)? Does it indicate a direction of travel? Was it an indication for those who were going out of the train? Getting on the train? Is it mostly useful once the train is stopped? When the train is about to come? When the train is not yet come to the trail? When doors open? For certain tyles of passengers? Passengers with bycicle? Were you on the train? Out of it? Waiting for it?

Something on the train = luggage depository? Place where something is to be put (bycicles...)? Where someone is (controller/restaurant carriage/other people)? Is ithe graffiti an indication for passengers mainly?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:00 pm

So graffiti was outside the train on asphalted ground and allowed you to find out something inside the train right? Right. Like the right carriage? No. Is the color of the graffiti relevant? No. Was it of the color of something on the asphalted ground relevantly? No. Of the opposite color (e.g. white)? No. Does it indicate a direction of travel? No. Was it an indication for those who were going out of the train? No. Getting on the train? Yes. Is it mostly useful once the train is stopped? No. When the train is about to come? Yes. When the train is not yet come to the trail? When it's visible but before it has stopped. When doors open? Before. For certain tyles of passengers? Yes. Passengers with bycicle? Yes. Were you on the train? Not yet. Out of it? Yes. Waiting for it? Yes.

Something on the train = luggage depository? No. Place where something is to be put (bycicles... Ues.)? Where someone is (controller/restaurant carriage/other people)? No. Is ithe graffiti an indication for passengers mainly? Yes.

***SPOILER***
Tagging is pointless vandalism.
Tagging asphalt is even more pointless, since the writing will soon be unintelligible.

I bring my ebike on the train to work, because I have a fair distance to and from the stations, and don't feel like waiting for a bus.
The train consists of two wagons, and one of them has a low door and a bike rack inside. When the train is about to enter the station, I look for the wagon with the low door.
If this wagon is in front, I can just go to the start of the platform. But if the wagon at the rear, I go and wait by the graffiti.
GalFisk

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles