[WiZ] I Came Across a Fallen Tree

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] I Came Across a Fallen Tree

Postby WiZ » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:32 pm

A man has an access road on his property which is used on a daily basis. One day, a tree near the road is struck by lightning. It falls on the road, blocking all access. The man leaves the tree there and makes no effort to get it removed. Why?

BOATS. Puzzle could be set anywhere. Caveat Earlispoilor.
Last edited by WiZ on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] I Came Across a Fallen Tree

Postby Westing1992 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:10 am

"Used on a daily basis": By the man? By other people? By animals? Does the man wish the road to be used?

Is it relevant that the tree's struck by lightning, or could it have fallen some other way? Had the tree not fallen, could the man have decided to chop a tree down and place it across the road?
Westing1992

Postby WiZ » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:02 am

"Used on a daily basis": By the man? yes By other people? yes By animals? irrel Does the man wish the road to be used? yope

Is it relevant that the tree's struck by lightning no, or could it have fallen some other way? yesHad the tree not fallen, could the man have decided to chop a tree down and place it across the road? yes, in theory
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:19 am

Did he live in an island? Has he got neighbors? Relevant? Has he got an elicopter? Had he not have any access even before the fall of the tree, would the man be blocked? Would he have suffered hunger? Would he have been isolated from the rest of the workd?
He did not make any effort to remove the tree because the tree impeded to someone/something else to enter his property? Was there a secondary access?

blocking all access = he was stucked in his house? In his property? Was him in his property when the tree fell? Outside? Are rivers relevant? Did the tree fall on the ground? Did he want the tree to stay there where it fell?
Earnest

Postby GalFisk » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:31 am

Did he want it removed? Did he want it to stay? Staying there, did the tree help with something relevant? Hinder something relevant? Inconvenience someone relevant?
GalFisk

Postby wolfier » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:22 pm

does the tree increase the utility of the access road? does he expect people to continue using the road the way it was, or differently? physical properties of the tree relevant? old or large tree? young or small shrub? leafy? branchy? spiny? does it need to be a tree, would wooden/MDF/plastic planks from Home Depot also work?
wolfier

Postby WiZ » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:57 pm

Earnest

Did he live in an island? no Has he got neighbors? yes Relevant? yes Has he got an elicopter? irrel Had he not have any access even before the fall of the tree, would the man be blocked? no Would he have suffered hunger? no Would he have been isolated from the rest of the workd? no
He did not make any effort to remove the tree because the tree impeded to someone/something else to enter his property? yes Was there a secondary access? yes

blocking all access = he was stucked in his house? In his property? no to both Was him in his property when the tree fell? Outside? irrel to both Are rivers relevant? no Did the tree fall on the ground? yes, across the road Did he want the tree to stay there where it fell? yes

GalFisk

Did he want it removed? no Did he want it to stay? yes Staying there, did the tree help with something relevant? no Hinder something relevant? yes Inconvenience someone relevant? yes

Wolfier

does the tree increase the utility of the access road? no does he expect people to continue using the road the way it was, or differently? differently physical properties of the tree relevant? no old no or large tree? large enough to prevent being driven around young or small shrub? no to both leafy? branchy? spiny? irrel to all does it need to be a tree, would wooden/MDF/plastic planks from Home Depot also work? They would, although they would be a clearer indication of intent on the homeowner's part

Flipping heck, we're just about there already.
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:09 pm

Does he use the road? Does someone who's not allowed to use the road, use it? Does he want all traffic stopped? Cars? Bikes? Pedestrians? Animals?
GalFisk

Postby WiZ » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:47 pm

Does he use the road? yes Does someone who's not allowed to use the road, use it? yope to yesish Does he want all traffic stopped? no (not altogether) Cars? yes Bikes? Pedestrians? Animals? no to rest
WiZ

Postby wolfier » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:48 pm

WAG: is his property a gas station at a street corner and non-customers are using it to shortcut a turn? OTRT?
wolfier

Postby WiZ » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:35 pm

WAG: is his property a gas station at a street corner and non-customers are using it to shortcut a turn? no OTRT? Yesish, the idea of shortcuts is relevant
WiZ

Postby Balin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:30 pm

Does he not want people to follow their GPS up his road?
Balin

Postby irishelk » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:19 am

Does he want to block car access so the noise/traffic won't bother him? Is there something on his property that could be damaged by cars? Does he have animals that are spooked by cars? Is he trying to promote healthier and more environmentally friendly ways of travel?

Does he normally travel by this road at all? Relevant?

Does he want the tree to be removed at a certain time or by a certain party? Or would he be content if it remained there?
irishelk

Postby wolfier » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:22 pm

were his neighbours using the access roads to get through his house to the street as a shortcut? once one of them is blocked by the tree, these neighbours are forced to use their own accesses instead?
wolfier

Postby WiZ » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Balin

Does he not want people to follow their GPS up his road? no

IrishElk

Does he want to block car access so the noise/traffic won't bother him? No, at a general level Is there something on his property that could be damaged by cars? irrel Does he have animals that are spooked by cars? no Is he trying to promote healthier and more environmentally friendly ways of travel? no

Does he normally travel by this road at all? yes Relevant? no

Does he want the tree to be removed at a certain time or by a certain party? no Or would he be content if it remained there? yes

Wolfier

were his neighbours using the access roads to get through his house to the street as a shortcut? once one of them is blocked by the tree, these neighbours are forced to use their own accesses instead?

***** SPOILER *****

The man's neighbour owned an adjoining property that could be accessed by a public road, but preferred to use the access road over the man's property to save time. He had no easement over the land or similar legal right to use it, but still did so frequently enough to be a nuisance.

The blockage happened sufficiently deep into the property that the man could still use it for his own purposes, but it eliminated the problem with the neighbour immediately.

Congratulations, Wolfier, on the solution, and thank you everyone for playing.
WiZ

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles