[Balin] I fought the blah

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[Balin] I fought the blah

Postby Balin » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:27 pm

A business owner reprimands one of his employees. The employee has committed a violation and is aware he has done so. However, immediately after the reprimand, the owner fires someone else. Why?
Balin

Re: [Balin] I fought the blah

Postby Earnest » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:22 pm

Relevant which violation? Did the owner fire the someone else due to the violation operated by employee A?

Relevant which job we are talking about: restauration? Food related? Pink collars? White collars? Blue collars? Doctors? Banks? Hotels? Informatics? Pcs? Phone related? Clothing related?

Did employee A (the one committeing the violation) intentionally committed the violation? Was him aware that he was committing a violation? Did the boss reprimand employee A for the violation he committed?

WAG --> Did employee A commit the violation with someone else but fired himself before the boss actually could fire him so that the only one the boss could fire was the other?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:02 pm

Relevant which violation? Yes Did the owner fire the someone else due to the violation operated by employee A? No

Relevant which job we are talking about: restauration? Food related? The job is at a restaurant (they are both chefs) but this is not relevant to the puzzle Pink collars? White collars? Blue collars? Doctors? Banks? Hotels? Informatics? Pcs? Phone related? Clothing related?

Did employee A (the one committeing the violation) intentionally committed the violation? Yope Was him aware that he was committing a violation? No Did the boss reprimand employee A for the violation he committed? Yes

WAG --> Did employee A commit the violation with someone else but fired himself before the boss actually could fire him so that the only one the boss could fire was the other? Really clever idea, but it's not this.
Balin

Postby wolfier » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:49 am

Did employee A (the one committed the violation) commit it due to something employee F (fired) did? In a way employee F enabled the violation to happen / created an environment in which it is easy to violate the rule? So in order to stop the violation from coming back, he's fired?
wolfier

Postby Earnest » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:46 am

When employee A has been reprimand, was employee F relevantly present? Had employee F been fired for something related to the violation? Did the violation allow to discover something relevant? If so something negative of which employee F was responsible for/of?

Violation = privacy violation? Losing time? (E.g. employee A was reprimand because he was on facebook on employee F profile, which posted a pic/was tagged on a pic/commented something... which damged the restaurant in some way?) Was the violation committed in the kitchen of the restaurant? If so, Could it have been also everywhere else? In another room of the restaurant? Does the violation involve kitchen tools? Technology? Pc? Phones? Fire allarm? Dishes prepared? Relations with costuners? Smell from the kitchen? Laud voice? Something wrongly cooked (e.g. employee A cooked sonething wrong because employee F modified the menu without permission)
Earnest

Postby Balin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:35 pm

Did employee A (the one committed the violation) commit it due to something employee F (fired) did? Yes In a way employee F enabled the violation to happen / created an environment in which it is easy to violate the rule? Not exactly So in order to stop the violation from coming back, he's fired? No

When employee A has been reprimand, was employee F relevantly present? Yes Had employee F been fired for something related to the violation? Yes, see topmost question Did the violation allow to discover something relevant? Yes If so something negative of which employee F was responsible for/of? Something negative about employee F, Yes

I'm never great at remembering people with just a letter, so let's call employee A "Adem" and employee F "Flynn."

Violation = privacy violation? No Losing time? No (E.g. employee A was reprimand because he was on facebook on employee F profile, which posted a pic/was tagged on a pic/commented something... which damged the restaurant in some way?) Good guess but No Was the violation committed in the kitchen of the restaurant? No If so, Could it have been also everywhere else? Yes (it could have been in the kitchen, but unlikely) In another room of the restaurant? Possible, somewhat more likely
Does the violation involve kitchen tools? Technology? Pc? Phones? Fire allarm? Dishes prepared? Relations with costuners? Smell from the kitchen? Laud voice? Something wrongly cooked Directly, none of these. (Remember, this is not a restaurant-exclusive violation)
(e.g. employee A cooked sonething wrong because employee F modified the menu without permission) No, I like this guess though
Balin

Postby WiZ » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:40 pm

Was A lying or trying to cover up F's actions?
WiZ

Postby GalFisk » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:40 am

Professional relationship between A and F relevant? Personal relationship?
GalFisk

Postby irishelk » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:56 pm

After Adem is reprimanded, does something else relevant happen before Flynn is fired? Is Adem asked a question? Does he volunteer information about Flynn?

Did Flynn tell Adem to do something that led to the reprimand? Was Adem following Flynn's example? Was Adem aware of the issue that Flynn was fired for, prior to the reprimand? Was Adem trying to fix it?

Are customers involved? Stealing money? Appearing unprofessional? Doing something dangerous?
irishelk

Postby Balin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:05 pm

Was A lying or trying to cover up F's actions? No

Professional relationship between A and F relevant? Yes, they're co-workers (co-chefs) Personal relationship? No

After Adem is reprimanded, does something else relevant happen before Flynn is fired? No Is Adem asked a question? No Does he volunteer information about Flynn? No

Did Flynn tell Adem to do something that led to the reprimand? No Was Adem following Flynn's example? No Was Adem aware of the issue that Flynn was fired for, prior to the reprimand? Yes Was Adem trying to fix it? No but OTRT

Are customers involved? Stealing money? Appearing unprofessional? This Doing something dangerous?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:33 am

Did they appear in public? Was it during a dinner/lunch (when other costumers were present)? Were they supposed to stay in the kitchen? Were they supposed not to scream? Is hygene relevant? To be sure...neither Adem nor Flynn are business owners right? And neither of the two had particular(advantegious) relationship with the owner a part the professional one right? Was Adem trying to help/cover Flynn?

Did Adem reprimand Flynn because of something wrong he did but screamed and people in the other room heard everything?
Is the violation of Flynn related to: safety? Hygene? Education? Delay? Anger? Use of a product instead of another? Distraction while at work? Making selfies/pics while working? (E.g. Adem and Flynn made a selfie while working and got distracted?) Inappropriate use of other types of technology?
Earnest

Postby Balin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:25 pm

Did they appear in public? Not relevantly Was it during a dinner/lunch (when other costumers were present)? Assume No Were they supposed to stay in the kitchen? Yes Were they supposed not to scream? Yes, and they did not scream Is hygene relevant? Noish To be sure...neither Adem nor Flynn are business owners right? That's correct And neither of the two had particular(advantegious) relationship with the owner a part the professional one right? Also correct Was Adem trying to help/cover Flynn? Yope to "help," No to "cover"

Did Adem reprimand Flynn because of something wrong he did but screamed and people in the other room heard everything? No
Is the violation of Flynn related to: safety? Indirectly Hygene? Indirectly Education? Delay? Anger? Use of a product instead of another? Distraction while at work? Less indirectly than the others Making selfies/pics while working? (E.g. Adem and Flynn made a selfie while working and got distracted?) Inappropriate use of other types of technology? No to rest
Balin

Postby trebor » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:05 am

Is the gender of either Adem or Flynn relevant? Dress codes relevant? Uniforms? WAG, but did Flynn (in the eyes of the owner) commit a fireable offense by not wearing appropriate attire, while Adem received a reprimand for commenting on a colleague’s appearance? Tattoos relevant? (I would hope that anything that could be deemed harassment would be a worse offense than a dress code violation, but some workplaces are quite awful.)
trebor

Postby Balin » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:51 am

Is the gender of either Adem or Flynn relevant? No
Dress codes relevant? Uniforms? Neither
WAG, but did Flynn (in the eyes of the owner) commit a fireable offense by not wearing appropriate attire, while Adem received a reprimand for commenting on a colleague’s appearance? Nice idea, but No
Tattoos relevant? No (I would hope that anything that could be deemed harassment would be a worse offense than a dress code violation, but some workplaces are quite awful.)
Balin

Postby wolfier » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:23 am

You mentioned that the violation would happen less likely in the kitchen and they're supposed to be in the kitchen.

This will sound like a weird question, but - could the violation happen equally likely in other rooms of the restaurants, or would a particular location inside the restaurant be a more likely place for the violation to have happened than all other locations in the restaurant?
wolfier

Postby Earnest » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:56 am

Violation = violation of an established rule? Violation of an internal rule of the restaurant or of a rule valid also in the rest of the nation for instance? Smoking relevant? Fire allarms? Was the owner present during the violation? Did he realize that a violation has been committed from something else external to the kitchen (e.g. activation of an alarm/ costumers complaining about food/costumers complaining in general?) ?

Drinking alchol relevant? Dealing with food relevant for the violation? (Using low quality food/expired food/ eating cooked food/stealing at work/ eating with the same cutlery used to cook food...?) Masterchef relevant?
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:51 am

The thing that Adem was reprimanded for: Did he try to report the violation? Maybe to an inappropriate person? Was he complaining about Flynn/the violation? Was he reprimanded for being a snitch? Did he end up committing the same or a similar violation himself? Or a totally different one?

Does the fire-able offense involve uniforms? Looking dirty/unhygienic? Did Adem try to clean something?
irishelk

Postby Balin » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:22 pm

You mentioned that the violation would happen less likely in the kitchen and they're supposed to be in the kitchen. I realize now that this answer was misleading - sorry!
Clarification: the actual action of the violation would happen most likely outside of work, but the violation itself would take place in the workspace, which for Flynn is the kitchen.

This will sound like a weird question, but - could the violation happen equally likely in other rooms of the restaurants, or would a particular location inside the restaurant be a more likely place for the violation to have happened than all other locations in the restaurant? See above

Violation = violation of an established rule? Yes Violation of an internal rule of the restaurant or of a rule valid also in the rest of the nation for instance? It's a violation at many, many workplaces Smoking relevant? No Fire allarms? No Was the owner present during the violation? He directly observed that Flynn was in violation Did he realize that a violation has been committed from something else external to the kitchen (e.g. activation of an alarm/ costumers complaining about food/costumers complaining in general?) ? No

Drinking alchol relevant? YES Dealing with food relevant for the violation? No (Using low quality food/expired food/ eating cooked food/stealing at work/ eating with the same cutlery used to cook food...?) Masterchef relevant? No

The thing that Adem was reprimanded for: Did he try to report the violation? No Maybe to an inappropriate person? No Was he complaining about Flynn/the violation? Noish/Yope Was he reprimanded for being a snitch? No Did he end up committing the same or a similar violation himself? No Or a totally different one? No

Does the fire-able offense involve uniforms? Looking dirty/unhygienic? Neither Did Adem try to clean something? No
Balin

Postby WiZ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:00 am

Did Adam show up to work drunk? Did he drink on the premises? Was Flynn somehow responsible for Adam getting drunk?
WiZ

Postby Balin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Did Adam show up to work drunk? Yes! (EDIT - No!... see below. I mixed up the two employees in my head. My bad)
Did he drink on the premises? Possibly, but assume No Was Flynn somehow responsible for Adam getting drunk? No
Balin

Postby trebor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:48 pm

Did Flyn also show up drunk that day? Did Flynn already have more warnings on his record than Adem did? Did A say something while being reprimanded that alerted the boss to the need to fire Flynn? Had F relevantly missed any work? Do either of them have a relevant personal relationship with the boss? If yes, is nepotism relevant?
trebor

Postby Balin » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:40 pm

Did Flyn also show up drunk that day? Whoops - I made a mistake. Flynn was at work drunk, not Adem.

Did Flynn already have more warnings on his record than Adem did? Irrel Did A say something while being reprimanded that alerted the boss to the need to fire Flynn? Not "while being reprimanded" (see above), but Yes! Had F relevantly missed any work? No Do either of them have a relevant personal relationship with the boss? NoIf yes, is nepotism relevant?
Balin

Postby irishelk » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Is the sequence of events 1) Flynn shows up drunk, 2) Adem says something to the boss, 3) Adem is reprimanded, 4) Flynn is fired?

Is Adem saying something itself the reprimandable offense? Is he not supposed to be talking? Not supposed to be talking to the boss?
Does he say something along the lines of "I think Flynn is drunk?" Does he point out a behavior of Flynn's that suggests he is drunk?
irishelk

Postby Balin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:45 pm

Is the sequence of events
1) Flynn shows up drunk Yes
2) Adem says something Yes to the boss No
3) Adem is reprimanded Yes
4) Flynn is fired Yes

Is Adem saying something itself the reprimandable offense? No Is he not supposed to be talking? No Not supposed to be talking to the boss? Irrel
Does he say something along the lines of "I think Flynn is drunk?" No, but OTRT Does he point out a behavior of Flynn's that suggests he is drunk? No
Balin

Postby irishelk » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:33 pm

Does he say something to Flynn? To another coworker? To a customer? Is he reprimanded for saying it to that person/people? For not saying it to the boss? For failing to come to the conclusion that Flynn was drunk?
irishelk

Postby Balin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:24 am

Does he say something to Flynn? Yes, No to rest To another coworker? To a customer?
Is he reprimanded for saying it to that person/people? Yes, beware FA For not saying it to the boss? No For failing to come to the conclusion that Flynn was drunk? No
Balin

Postby trebor » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:11 am

Is the exact wording of what Adem said to Flynn relevant? Does Flynn have any relevant medical conditions?
trebor

Postby Balin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:56 am

Is the exact wording of what Adem said to Flynn relevant? Yes. (He said three words to Flynn; the first was "dude") Does Flynn have any relevant medical conditions? No
Balin

Postby trebor » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:24 pm

"Dude, you're drunk"? Was what he said misheard or misinterpreted?
trebor

Postby WiZ » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Is the nature of the reprimandable offense relevant? Does Adem swear? Defame the company to clients within earshot? Violate confidentiality in some way? Use sectarian or racist language? Does he tell him to go home (because he's drunk), and thus overstep his responsibilities as a sous-chef/line cook/whatever?
WiZ

Postby wolfier » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Was the dismissable offence Flynn committed nothing more than being drink at work? Or does it have anything to do with his reaction after hearing Adem's "dude *** ***" mutter?
wolfier

Postby Balin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:06 pm

"Dude, you're drunk"? No Was what he said misheard or misinterpreted? No (well, Yes, but in a somewhat joking manner)

Is the nature of the reprimandable offense relevant? Yes, see below Does Adem swear? Defame the company to clients within earshot? Violate confidentiality in some way? Use sectarian or racist language? No to all these Does he tell him to go home (because he's drunk), No... and thus overstep his responsibilities as a sous-chef/line cook/whatever? ...but Yes, this was the reprimandable offense

Was the dismissable offence Flynn committed nothing more than being drink at work? Yes Or does it have anything to do with his reaction after hearing Adem's "dude *** ***" mutter? No
Balin

Postby trebor » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:37 pm

“Dude, you’re fired”?
trebor

Postby Balin » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:25 pm

"Dude, you’re fired”? Got it.

****SPOILER****

(This time I'm just copying the text of the Reddit post)

"Dude got hired as a waiter and half way into his first shift he’s falling down drunk. I pulled him into the kitchen and said - dude, you’re fired. Not that I was firing him...just an observation. I was a little taken aback and not really thinking about what I was saying. The owner heard me and reprimanded me 'you don’t have the authority to fire anybody'...and then immediately fired the guy."
Balin

Re: [Balin] I fought the blah (*DISMISSED*)

Postby irishelk » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:37 pm

Dude!
irishelk

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles