[WiZ] I smart, You smart, we all smart for....

An archive of solved lateral thinking puzzles.

Moderators: peter365, Balin, kalira, JenBurdoo, Tiger

[WiZ] I smart, You smart, we all smart for....

Postby WiZ » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:50 pm

This is the iSmart charger, an apparatus designed to intelligently detect the charging needs of connected devices and automatically deliver the output needed for complete efficiency.

However, the model lasted only a short while before it was recalled. Why?

True story. Caveat Earlispoilor.
Last edited by WiZ on Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] I smart, You smart, we all smart for....

Postby wolfier » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:12 pm

haha I know about this. not taking part.
wolfier

Postby Westing1992 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:56 pm

Did it not actually charge the devices? Did it itself need to be charged? Did it take power from other devices to charge the ones needed?
Westing1992

Postby WiZ » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:35 am

Did it not actually charge the devices? incorrect; it charged them Did it itself need to be charged? no Did it take power from other devices to charge the ones needed? not in any unexpected way
WiZ

Postby Balin » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:57 pm

Was it intended to charge multiple devices at once? Did the problem occur when users tried to charge multiple devices at once?
Balin

Postby Earnest » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:19 pm

Was it recalled because used improperly?
So as far as I've understood, if one leaves its device/devices (whatever device right? Pc, phones...) on charge longer than needed (for instance all the night), the iSmart will automatically stop charging the device right? Meaning that it stopped at 100% battery right?
And if one wanted to stop charging before the 100% battery had been reached it was possible, correct?

Was it recalled for advances in technology?(e.g. Phones and Pc that automatically stop charging once the needed amount was reached?)
Relevant how long it took for Smarter to charge a device? Was it able to detect a devices with 0% of battery? Was it practicle to bring it from a place to the other?

Was the Smarter itself designed to be plugged/unplugged in a plug? Relevant how much energy it consumed?

Recalled = was it considered dangerous? (For children/adults/others?) Unpractical?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:40 pm

Balin

Was it intended to charge multiple devices at once? yes, it could balance the power output according to needDid the problem occur when users tried to charge multiple devices at once? no - this functioned as intended

Earnest

Was it recalled because used improperly? no
So as far as I've understood, if one leaves its device/devices (whatever device right? Pc, phones...) on charge longer than needed (for instance all the night), the iSmart will automatically stop charging the device right? Meaning that it stopped at 100% battery right?
And if one wanted to stop charging before the 100% battery had been reached it was possible, correct? all correct

Was it recalled for advances in technology?(e.g. Phones and Pc that automatically stop charging once the needed amount was reached?) no
Relevant how long it took for Smarter to charge a device? no Was it able to detect a devices with 0% of battery? yes Was it practicle to bring it from a place to the other? yes

Was the Smarter itself designed to be plugged/unplugged in a plug? yes Relevant how much energy it consumed? no

Recalled = was it considered dangerous? (For children/adults/others?) Unpractical? no to both
WiZ

Postby biograd » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:34 pm

Did it not sell because it was unnecessary? Were most devices already charging close to 100% efficiency on their own, without the need for this?

Was it exceptionally slow? in other words, can devices be charged faster if they are charged less efficiently? and people strongly preferred to trade lower efficiency for faster charging speed?
biograd

Postby WiZ » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:44 pm

Did it not sell because it was unnecessary? no Were most devices already charging close to 100% efficiency on their own, without the need for this? If so, it did not relevantly disincentivise people

Was it exceptionally slow? no in other words, can devices be charged faster if they are charged less efficiently? no and people strongly preferred to trade lower efficiency for faster charging speed? no
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:37 am

Did it sell a lot? Was the recall due to the product itself or to indirect consequences ? (e.g. changes in management of the firm that produced it? Production of new products that substitute it?...)

To be sure...can we assume that it has an usb plug and all other types of needed plugs to connect devices? Relevant in which country it was launched? Which firm launched it? Relevant when it was launched? How it was launched? How it was advertised (e.g. was it evident for people that it was needed to smartly charge devices?)? Were there many devices at the time?

Little WAG --> too many people bought it. The problem was that it was so big that when two plugs where available (one near the other) and a person plugged the iSmart in one of the two, than no one could use the other plug anymore.
Earnest

Postby peter365 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:33 am

I heard about this one. I'll stay out.
peter365

Postby biograd » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:48 pm

It certainly seems that covering a second socket is not the issue--in the picture we can clearly see another cord plugged into the other socket of the same outlet right above it. On the other hand, many other "wall wart" type plugs DO suffer from this problem, yet the companies that make those have no trouble selling them.

Was it recalled because of lack of demand? because it was predicted they would malfunction in some way in the future? for a legal reason (e.g. someone else had already patented a similar device, and this one infringed the patent)?

Would the same problem have occurred with any device that was functionally equivalent to this one? Did the problem have to do with the functionality of the device? its environmental impact? its physical appearance?
biograd

Postby WiZ » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:09 pm

Earnest

Did it sell a lot? reasonably well Was the recall due to the product itself yes or to indirect consequences ? no (e.g. changes in management of the firm that produced it? Production of new products that substitute it?...)

To be sure...can we assume that it has an usb plug and all other types of needed plugs to connect devices? yes Relevant in which country it was launched? no (although the problem wouldn't exist in all countries) Which firm launched it? no Relevant when it was launched? How it was launched? How it was advertised (e.g. was it evident for people that it was needed to smartly charge devices?)? no to these Were there many devices at the time? irrelevant

Little WAG --> too many people bought it. The problem was that it was so big that when two plugs where available (one near the other) and a person plugged the iSmart in one of the two, than no one could use the other plug anymore. no

Biograd

It certainly seems that covering a second socket is not the issue--in the picture we can clearly see another cord plugged into the other socket of the same outlet right above it. On the other hand, many other "wall wart" type plugs DO suffer from this problem, yet the companies that make those have no trouble selling them. All correct

Was it recalled because of lack of demand? no because it was predicted they would malfunction in some way in the future? no for a legal reason (e.g. someone else had already patented a similar device, and this one infringed the patent)? no

Would the same problem have occurred with any device that was functionally equivalent to this one? no Did the problem have to do with the functionality of the device? no its environmental impact? no its physical appearance? yes!
WiZ

Postby biograd » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:33 pm

Looking at the appearance, the only thing I could think was that a court ruled that some combination of the white color, the form factor (which closely resembles an Apple laptop charger), and the use of the lower case "i" before the name infringed some right of Apple, because people might reasonably confuse this for an Apple product (which I was guessing it wasn't, as otherwise there'd be a lot more publicity around it). However, you said the issue wasn't legal.

Or maybe it IS an Apple product, and Apple worried that people would confuse it for a different Apple product and buy the wrong one?
biograd

Postby WiZ » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:40 pm

Looking at the appearance A good start, the only thing I could think was that a court ruled that some combination of the white color, the form factor (which closely resembles an Apple laptop charger), and the use of the lower case "i" before the name infringed some right of Apple, because people might reasonably confuse this for an Apple product this is not what happened (which I assume it isn't) correct. However, you said the issue wasn't legal. also correct

Or maybe it IS an Apple product, and Apple worried that people would confuse it for a different Apple product and see no need to buy one? no
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:00 pm

Is the problem the square shape directly? Was it too similar to something else? If so something else plugged on walls? Was it a problem when plugged in lower located plugs? Was the problem when the iSmart was plugged? When it was not? Could it mislead someone? Could it be mislead with something else? Is the other side equal to the one that is shown in the picture?

Engine problems? Was it recalled in every country? Did the recall last a lot? E.g. for instance the manufacturer made a box to contain it that did not fit to the smarter...
Had it been circular would it have been recalled? Was the smarter supposed to fit somewhere?
Earnest

Postby Enjay » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:36 pm

Is the name relevant? The way the name is printed on the charger?

Did the company change something to allow them to release an amended model? If so, did they change the shape? Material? Colour? Printing? Size or position of the charging sockets? The pins by which it plugs into the wall?
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:42 pm

Earnest

Is the problem the square shape directly? no Was it too similar to something else? no If so something else plugged on walls? n/a Was it a problem when plugged in lower located plugs? no Was the problem when the iSmart was plugged? yes, typically When it was not? also this, potentially Could it mislead someone? arguably Could it be mislead with something else? no Is the other side equal to the one that is shown in the picture? as in, the reverse side? I'm not sure - assume it's either identical or blank

Engine problems? no Was it recalled in every country? yes Did the recall last a lot? E.g. for instance the manufacturer made a box to contain it that did not fit to the smarter... Can you rephrase?
Had it been circular would it have been recalled? yes, all other things being equal Was the smarter supposed to fit somewhere? Not sure what you mean - this was not an issue, at any rate

Enjay

Is the name relevant? yes The way the name is printed on the charger? Yes!

Did the company change something to allow them to release an amended model? yes If so, did they change the shape? Material? Colour? Printing? Size or position of the charging sockets? The pins by which it plugs into the wall? but no to these
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:22 pm

The t that resemble a + relevant? The i outside the rectangle?
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:35 pm

The t that resemble a + relevant? Yes, explore The i outside the rectangle? That also plays a part
WiZ

Postby biograd » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:04 am

Did they think that the battery shape with the "+" at one end and something vaguely like a "-" at the other end would lead people to believe it was a charger for rechargeable AA batteries (as opposed to for mobile devices)?
biograd

Postby WiZ » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:08 am

Did they think that the battery shape with the "+" at one end and something vaguely like a "-" at the other end would lead people to believe it was a charger for rechargeable AA batteries (as opposed to for mobile devices)? no
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:40 am

Is it more a design issue of the name or something like "what happens if someone google the name"?
So actually are there parts that can be equivocated? Does I resemble a - ? Do people think that the smarter needed batteries to work and try to open it in order to insert batteries?

Is the t problematic because it resembles a plus or a cross? Is Ismar someone/something? Religion relevant?
Last edited by Earnest on Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earnest

Postby Enjay » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:46 am

I think I've figured this one out so will stay out...
Enjay

Postby WiZ » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:40 pm

Earnest

Is it more a design issue of the name yes or something like "what happens if someone google the name"? no
So actually are there parts that can be equivocated? yesish Does I resemble a - ? no Do people think that the smarter needed batteries to work and try to open it in order to insert batteries? no

Is the t problematic because it resembles a plus yes or a cross? no Is Ismar someone/something? no Religion relevant? Yes!

Enjay

I think I've figured this one out so will stay out... :)
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:59 am

Is Mary relvant (e.g. is-mar +)? Other religious figures? Relevant the way in which it was advertised? Religion = christian religion right?

The way in which the name is pronunciated? If so is + wrongly pronunciated: plus? Added? Add? Sum? Is the plus a religious symbol?
Earnest

Postby biograd » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:30 pm

OMG, I think I just saw it... if so, wow that's an incredible coincidence! I don't see what the plus sign has to do with it though. But yeah, if what I'm seeing is actually the answer, it IS lateral, but not so much thinking--it's something you either see or you don't.
biograd

Postby Balin » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:25 pm

And I too see it now... yikes! No wonder execs flipped and pulled it.
Balin

Postby WiZ » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:16 am

Earnest

Is Mary relvant Well, as a Catholic, I would say yes. However, she is not implicated in this puzzle (e.g. is-mar +)? no Other religious figures? No. Not 'figures' Relevant the way in which it was advertised? outside of the appearance of the device itself, no Religion = christian religion right? no!

The way in which the name is pronunciated? no If so is + wrongly pronunciated: plus? Added? Add? Sum? Is the plus a religious symbol? no to all

BioGrad

OMG, I think I just saw it... if so, wow that's an incredible coincidence! I don't see what the plus sign has to do with it though. To be fair, the plus sign is the one mitigating factor. If this puzzle were about the iSmar- there'd have been absolute hell to pay.

But yeah, if what I'm seeing is actually the answer, it IS lateral, but not so much thinking--it's something you either see or you don't. Yes. Certainly *lateral*. As for whether this qualifies as a lateral thinking puzzle, you would have to ask two Americans, one of whom is the father of the other one's son. But how is that poss-

Balin

And I too see it now... yikes! No wonder execs flipped and pulled it. Quite right. They did quite the about-face on that one.

I'm going to leave this puzzle open, because I would sooner eat rotten cheese than deprive Earnest of the Aha! moment.
WiZ

Postby Earnest » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:46 am

Thanks Balin...anyway I'm a little bit stupid in seeing obvious things so if you want to spoil it, please do it! No problems really. The joke on "lateral" make me thong that is something that mainly regards the big i and the plus but actually I'm not able to see the blasfemy (if it is a blasfemy) ...maybe something involving islamic state or ISIS...
Earnest

Postby WiZ » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:48 pm

Thanks Balin...anyway I'm a little bit stupid in seeing obvious things so if you want to spoil it, please do it! No problems really. The joke on "lateral" make me thong that is something that mainly regards the big i and the plus but actually I'm not able to see the blasfemy (if it is a blasfemy) ...maybe something involving islamic state or ISIS...

It's a bit simpler than that. No specialist knowledge required for this one - it's simple a problem you may have to look at from a different angle.
WiZ

Postby jumpingjacks » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:16 pm

Hahaha... oh man!!!
jumpingjacks

Postby WiZ » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:25 pm

Ah, well. As has been alluded to, this is one of those 'either you see it or you don't' sorts of puzzle. And we've had enough people 'see it' that I'm content with posting the

***** SPOILER *****

Typically, one would have to invert the device to plug it in. This led to the logo turning into something quite unexpected:

Needless to say, this proved controversial and unpopular - and the device was immediately pulled and redesigned.

Congratulations, everyone. At least the device wasn't called the iSmar- ...
WiZ

Re: [WiZ] I smart, You smart, we all smart for.... [pƎΛ˥OS]

Postby Earnest » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:59 am

Woooo...I did not even think that...and nonetheless I discover now that jews is an offense in english...so how could you kindly define people following that religion?...this puZzle was very instructive to me
Earnest

Postby irishelk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:26 am

This probably varies by region, but I've never known "Jews" to be quite at the level of offensive on its own--depends on the context. It's certainly acceptable for Jewish people to say "Jews." If it feels icky, the alternative is "Jewish people."

Still, what a crazy thing to have on a charging device. I kind of want one :lol:
irishelk

Postby jumpingjacks » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:54 pm

Earnest I don't think the word 'Jews' is in itself offensive in English, not here anyway. It's just a pretty weird and uncomfortable thing to put on a charger, lol. I guess the exclamation mark also makes it worse? Imagine if you stood in the middle of a public place and randomly shouted out a racial or religious group -- "Jews!" "Muslims!" "Asians!" Definitely awkward :lol:
As to how one would define someone of that group, I would go with irishelk and use adjectives instead of nouns. So "Maria is Jewish" instead of "Maria is a Jew."
jumpingjacks

Postby Earnest » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:11 pm

Ah ok...good to know it...anyway I really did not think that one!
Earnest

Postby wolfier » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:13 pm

if you take into account pronunciation it becomes doubly as impressive.

think about a charger named "+ juice". so fitting.
wolfier

Return to Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles